Fooling Ourselves

By Kelly_Al

It was simple. He was my brother's ex-bestfriend and now enemy. I was supposed to stay away from him. I was s... More

Prologue: How It Happened...
How We Had Our First Encounter
How I Lost An Admirer
How He Ended What Didn't Start
How Bryan Got Attacked Twice
How I Spent My Birthday
How My First Date Got Ruined
How The Bad Boy Made Me Feel Safe...
How I Met His Siblings
How He Told Me Off...
How We Ditched
How Things Went Down...
A/N
How He Came Over....
How We Left The Table...
How He Won Us Over...
How We Got Caught....
How He Lost it....
How I Met His Parents...
How We Got Closer
How They Made Up...
How We Disagreed...
How He Looked Heart-Broken....
How We Smoothed Things Over...
How it was Calm before the Storm...
How The Storm Came...
How The Truth Came Out...
How It Was At School...
How The Dinner Went...
How we Talked about my Choices
How we Danced at Prom
How Everything Changed...
How He's so Beautiful...
How I Surprised Them
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
New Book!
Bonus Chapter: How I Knew She Was The One
Bonus Chapter (Jace + Alicia)
New Book!

How we Went Our Separate Ways...

23.6K 632 48
By Kelly_Al

   I woke up late and ended up rushing because I was behind the original time I had planned for. Everyone had to meet me at the airport instead. I arrived in record time with only a couple minutes to spare before I had to leave to board my flight. I found them waiting on me with sad expressions that broke my heart. Dylan hadn't arrived yet but I assumed he was running a little late like me.

"Come on guys. It's not the end of the world," I said trying to cheer them up but I needed cheering up myself.

"It is," Ari told me with tears in her eyes, "I don't know...I guess I didn't actually think you were leaving."

"Ari don't cry," but it was too late. She threw herself at me and cried on my shoulder. I felt my own tears running down my face, "This is all like a dream."

"I don't want you to go," she confessed.

"I don't want to leave you either," I responded pulling away to look at her, "We'll keep in touch. I'll visit. Nothing will keep us apart. You are and always will be my best friend."

"Best friends for life," she reached out her pinky finger to me and I wrapped my own around hers sealing my promise.

"Even in death," I agreed and she pulled me into a hug once again before finally setting me free. I looked at the rest of the group once again and noticed Dylan had still not arrived. I frowned but walked towards James, "Hey."

"I think we're way past a 'hey'," James smiled and pulled me into his chest, "I'm going to miss you Skye. You're like my little sister. If you don't call, I'm flying out and you'll have to tell me personally why you didn't."

"Is that a threat?" I asked.

"You can count on it," he smirked and let me go. I moved on to the twins who crushed me into one of their twin hugs.

"I love you guys. I just got you and I have to leave," I frowned. They grinned understandingly.

"Ma belle, we'll see each other soon," Thai assured me.

"And that's a promise," Theo added.

I smiled and then went over to my brother. I took a last look around the place and had yet to see a sign of Dylan. I felt my heart break and an unsettling feeling pooled into my stomach. It was obvious. He had practically indirectly told me. I felt the sad and forced smile form on my lips as I focused on my brother.

"He's not coming, is he?" I asked and Jace gave me a disappointing nod confirming my suspicion.

"He wanted me to give you this," Jace placed a note in my hand and then hugged me, "It won't be the same without you sis. I'm going to miss you like hell. This will be our first time apart from each other."

"I know. How will I survive without my bodyguard?" I teased.

"I trust you. You're a smart girl. It's time for me to let you go," Jace kissed my cheek before letting me go. I then hugged my parents.

"I love you mom and dad. I'm going to miss you but I'll make you proud, I promise," I said as they kissed my cheek.

"We love you too," my mother spoke first.

"Baby girl, you're going to do great," my father assured me, "You keep those boys away now!"

"I will daddy," I replied and then I looked at everyone before me one last time, "I love you guys, okay? Remember that."

They nodded and I turned around hearing them call my flight number. My brother walked with me as he continued to carry my luggage. I opened the note in my hand and read the words written there. 'I'm sorry but I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself to look at you and watch you leave me today. Just know I will always love you –M.'

This was it? He couldn't even write his full name? M? Wasn't that the same way my admirer signed his notes? M? M as in Martin? Was Dylan my admirer? It all made sense now. The fact that he couldn't have lunch with me...The fact that he was on the field...The reason he didn't bother to find out who my admirer was because he knew it was him. He was my admirer all along. He was the sweet guy who would send me really nice notes. Dylan...

But this was it? He couldn't come to see me to say goodbye and yet he couldn't even write a proper note? How dare he? I found myself turning around and storming out of the airport. I grabbed Thai and Theo insisting that they drive me to Dylan's house.

On arriving at his house I got out of the car and rushed to his room. I found him lying on his bed staring at his phone screen.

"I should have known. You not liking goodbyes and then our conversation. I should have known you were weak," I snarled, "How could you?"

"Skylar," he said jumping up frightened, "I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't bring myself to let you go."

"You send that note? Really Dylan?" I scowled, "Am I not worth more?"

"God, of course you are! I just...I couldn't," he sounded torn.

"Man up Dylan! And that confession? You're my admirer?" my sentences were short and incomplete because I was angry.

"I thought you needed to know," he gulped.

"Ask me Dylan," I pleaded softly and he watched me carefully now.

"Ask you what?"

"Ask me to stay," I begged.

"I can't," he frowned and I stepped closer.

"Ask me," I told him once more and he shook his head.

"Harvard needs you," he struggled to say the words.

"But you need me more," I whispered and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"It doesn't matter. I won't hold you back. I won't do it," his voice was strained.

"Then don't," I said, "Don't stop me from getting what I want!"

"I'm not!" he groaned frustrated and pulled away from me.

"You are! I want you Dylan."

"I won't ask you to stay and I won't let you," Dylan warned me and I groaned.

"It doesn't have to be like this," I told him caressing his face, "We can still be together. I'll visit every break I get. We can video chat on weekends and I won't go to bed until I hear your voice during the weekdays. We can make this work."

"You'll be busy and I'll have football and school..."

"We'll make it work," my statement was final.

"Okay. We'll make it work," he agreed and then kissed me.

"You promise?" I asked not entirely convinced that he was being honest.

"I promise, sweetheart," he said sincerely looking deep into my eyes.

I nodded convinced and hugged him burying my face into his chest. I breathed in, taking in his scent for what seemed like it would be one of the last times in the longest while. He smelt good, as he usually did and I shamelessly buried my face further into his chest.

Hugging Dylan felt good but it brought tears to my eyes because I realized and had to accept the truth. I was really leaving. This was really happening. And it was like the world stopped spinning and begun to fall, all within three seconds and it hurt...I sobbed into Dylan's chest.

"This is actually happening," I pointed out.

"I have to let you go now," Dylan sounded heartbroken.

"It hurts Dylan," I cried harder, "It hurts so much."

"I know baby but...this isn't the end remember?" he was trying to be encouraging but I heard his voice crack.

"It won't be," I nodded and pulled away from him meeting his eyes again as he continued attempting to soothe me by playing in my hair.

"If anything happens, we'll come back to each other. I'm yours and I always will be," he said seriously and my heart rate picked up, "I think I should get you back to your parents. You'll probably need to sort out your flight."

"You're probably right. But as soon as I do, I'm coming back here and we'll spend the rest on my time together, whether it be hours or days," I smiled lightly as I finished my final promise, "I'll find you Dylan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

485K 13.7K 101
#1 in the series || "Are you going to leave?" I asked, looking up into his eyes. "Never." He said, a tired smile spread across his face. "Don't make...
142K 3.2K 74
What happens when life puts a social outcast and a social magnet together? The boy every girl wants and every boy envies; living with the girl no one...
3.5M 101K 66
"You're so fucking annoying." Jake just shook his head at me. "And you're a self centered uptight dickhead." I glared at him. Jake laughed lightly...
1.5M 35.4K 50
"I...I...was just....."I stuttered and he grabbed my jaws with his thumb and index finger,squeezing my cheeks. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."H...