A Selfie to Die For

By Alycat1901

After a string of grisly murders are committed against young women, it leads different police departments aro... More

INTRO/WARNING
Prologue
1)The kick in the gut
2)Online Dating
4) All eyes on you
5)Possessive
6)Personal space
7)Intruder
8)Prince Charming has a temper
9) Watched
10) No is not an option
11)Proven wrong
12) The bad beginning
13)Let the games begin
14)The black sedan
15)The phantom menace
16)He sees you when you're sleeping....He knows when you wake up.
17) The stalker expert
18)Life is a box of chocolates....You never know what kind of nuts you'll find.
19)Rotten to the core
20)A psychic's warning
21)The talented liar
22)What's the worst that could happen?
23)Innocence lost (Part I)
24) Innocence lost (Part II)
25)You can't drown demons who know how to swim
26) A gut kicking surprise
27)Time passes, crazy doesn't.
28) Daddy's angry
29)The monster knows no bounds
30) The suspicious ones
31)Boiled, baked, and brutalized.
32)The guy who knows crazy
33)The linked murderer
34)Sociopath versus Psychopath
35)The death
36)Broken hearts and strange thoughts
37)The mystery person
38)Unravel
39)Blood fall
40)Not crazy in love....just crazy
41) Monsters and men
42)Revealing moments
43)He's a Heartbreaker
SEQUEL/SPINOFF

3)50-shades of grey eyes

4.2K 297 50
By Alycat1901

It was apparent there was not harm involved in taking a gorgeous selfie. The next two days passed by with Emily getting a couple messages from different guys along with being hearted. Emily had no idea what that meant until Vinessa explained it. When someone hearted you, it meant they were interested in your profile and wanted you to heart them back.
Emily thought simply writing a person stating you liked their profile would've been more efficient, but who was she to judge?
She was scheduled for her first date with a nice guy named Carter this weekend at a local starbucks. He was looking like a very nice individual who recently moved to the United States from England. As Emily messaged the guy, he seemed to be a friendly individual.
If it worked out - Emily was rather skeptical it would - then she'd have a date to prom if the guy accepted her invitation. It seemed like a tedious process, but it was better than not at least trying to get a date.

Emily spent the night after returning from school one day dedicated to her French homework. She was so tired once midnight rolled around, she barely noticed the light tapping at her bedroom window. It was the faintest of sounds, coming off as woodchips hitting the window. A grin crept onto her face as Emily slowly went up to the window where Jake stood outside of. He had his overly bright flashlight with him as he holds it up to his face, sparing Emily an excited wave.

Emily opened her window, waiting for Jake to carefully climb the strange scaling of the farmhouse after tucking his flashlight away. Her parents had finally found what her mother claimed was her dream home on Zillow. When Thomas Daz first announced the military wanted him stationed in Texas to train younger recruits, Emily's parents bought the beautiful farmhouse as a way to celebrate this as their last time of moving around the country.
The only thing unfortunate about finally moving away from the military housing and onto a beautiful four acre farmhouse was Jake no longer lived close by. Anytime while growing up, Jake would often come over to Emily's house to spend the night. He'd walk over to Emily's house so often, Jake's dad would often joke that he spent more time at Emily's house than he did at his own. It was probably true. Day or night, Jake was usually at the Daz household.

Emily was worried moving to Texas meant no more late night movies or study sessions with Jake considering he now lived a good half hour away at the military housing. Even still, this left Jake unfazed. The first night Emily and her family had at their new house, Jake spent the night. He doesn't get to come over quite as often, but Jake will still manage to make the trip at night for random sleep overs on the weekend.

"Has anyone ever told you you're a goober?" Emily chastised as Jake reached her window.
After expertly sliding one leg through before bending his shoulders to climb in, Jake's grinning. "C'mon, M&M. You know you love me for my amazing ability to commit breaking and entering."  He says, flashing a crooked grin before he quietly makes his way over to Emily's bed to plop himself down.

"Is it breaking and entering when I opened my window willingly?" Emily countered with a chuckle.

"Eh, still..." Jake waved off airily. He kicked off his shoes before wandering back to Emily's bed and settling himself down on his stomach.

There was no need to worry about Emily's parents walking in on them. Her mom slept like a rock most nights while her father made snoring noises that were louder than an operating locomotive. He couldn't have heard a circus breaking inside the house.
Even if they did walk in to find Jake cuddled in Emily's bed, they probably wouldn't even mind. They've known Jake ever since he was a little kid with two missing front teeth. Emily suspected that her mother even made sure the spare bedroom was specifically left for when Jake spent the night. Her  parents didn't mind having him around - Jake's been sneaking in or staying over at night ever since his mother passed away when he was ten.

"You drove across town?" Emily asked in surprise. Even though they've done this same routine with Jake sneaking in through Emily's window well over a couple hundred times the last few years, it's odd he would do it in the middle of the night on a weekday.

"Is there a reason you sound so surprised?" Jake shrugged, unzipping the backpack he brought with to showoff the giant bag of peanut-butter M&M's he brought with him. "C'mon - don't tell me you're gonna let your best pal eat these delicious little buggars all on my own..." Jake teased, winking.

"Jake, we have school tomorrow...." Emily tried, before Jake throws up an M&M to catch in his mouth. He chewed and swallows before shrugging. 

"-You say that as if it should mean something" he grinned. Emily's blank stare caused him to  frown. "Ah...don't make me go back home." He protested in a quiet groan. "My dad has that witch of a girlfriend over-"

"Why is she a witch because she doesn't approve of you calling her sauerkraut?" Emily challenged with a grin.
She made her way back to  the bed before crawling in.

Jake waved this off airily. "She shouldn't look so sour all the time if she doesn't want a stupid nickname-"

"Jacob-"

"C'mon, Ems. Me staying the night will be like old times when we had sleepovers. You have a king sized bed. You'll barely even notice I'm here." Jake pouted, doing a ridiculous display of widening his eyes as he watched Emily sadly.
This is why Jake Moseley was a dangerous individual. He knew how to play people, and he knew perfectly well that Emily was always putty in his hands when he delivered his infamous pout.  She melted just watching him, even though Jake was oblivious her feelings ran far deeper than just mere friendship.
That was her biggest factor for not wanting Jake to stay the night. Who really wants their crush sleeping in the same bed as them?

Emily decided she was the sad sap of a person who wanted her crush in her bed. Blushing at the very thought, Emily nodded her head while Jake pulled a triumphant fist pump.  After a moment, he grinned mischievously. "We have to work on your assertiveness, M's. You really shouldn't say yes to people so easily" Jake joked, causing Emily to throw a bony elbow to his shoulder to move him over.

"I find myself only always agreeing to this stupid things you say." Emily muttered in response, not even lying with this comment.

"Good thing you love me." Jake grinned, grabbing the remote off of Emily's nightstand to flick on the small TV attached to her wall facing her bed. Emily laid her head down against her pillow, and Jake removed himself from the bed before tucking the covers over her before settling back on the bed.

The news turned on, revealing a breaking story that premiered earlier in the night. "Oh, turn the volume up a little" Emily whispered, the news station catching her eyes. More than anything, Emily wants to become a reporter. The type that has their own show every night that people feel the need to tune to everyday - like Nancy Grace. The people who had a strong voice for the victims around the world who couldn't speak of for themselves.

"The body of Tina Stewart was discovered in the early hours of Tuesday morning in an abandoned warehouse on the west side pier. This discovery was found a month after Ms. Stewart went missing after a night out with a man who authorities are believing she met through the popular dating site PerfectMatch.com...."

"That's what happens when you meet weirdos over the internet" Jake muttered absentmindedly, tossing some candy into his mouth. 

Emily ignored the nagging pit of guilt that reminded her she had a date with a stranger coming up. She was too transfixed by the story.
"This is the girl where they think the Prince Charming killer got her" Emily answered, watching the screen intently. It was hard not to watch - this girl was from a small city in rural Louisiana. Odds were most likely in the favor that the killer was from Texas. The border between the town where the girl lived and Texas was relatively close.

Jake released a low snort. "How pathetic is it that people call a serial killer Prince Charming?  Why give serial killers credit for their crimes? Aren't they going to be more inspired to commit another one  if you give them a cool name?"

"It helps with ratings" Emily grimaced, feeling he was right in pointing out how rather wrong it was. Ratings or not, it was feeding into the ego of a serial killer.

"Yeah, it must be a killer for ratings..." Jake paused, waiting for Emily to look at him.
Once she did, he grinned.
"Get it? Killer for ratings.."

Emily gave him a playful shove before returning her gaze to the TV. "Do you think that selfie Heather Mackerson took with the guy in the background was real?"  She asked, watching the screen.
The media had a field day when it was claimed a picture Heather Mackerson  posted to her dating blog showed her taking a selfie with her killer in the background. There was hardly anything for the police to go off of - they gathered from the height of the man he was roughly 6'0 or over, but there was nothing else to go on.
Heather Mackerson's date that night was proven to be innocent given he dropped her off and left. GPS proved it, along with a lengthy phone call that tracked through cell towers. The guy she met online was  innocent. Still, if the picture was

Police are assuming that the main suspect is her married doctor she was having an affair with, but Emily was having a hard time swallowing that.  Her inner reporter kept piecing together the strange deaths the same way as the media was. There were too many deaths as of late where these popular sorority-type of girls kept popping up dead in different manners. Only three are being related to the Prince Charming killer due to pattern of strangulation, but Emily silently took notice of something she only confided to Jake.
The stabbings, gun shots, and drownings all seemed to eerily familiar. The girls didn't look the same, some were even different races, but they were around the same ages of early to late twenties along with adding in none of them were raped.

"Er...Didn't you hear? The same mask the guy was wearing in the picture was found in that doctor's storage locker" Jake shrugged. "Now it just comes down to getting enough evidence to fry the guy."

"The doctor actually did it??" Emily questioned in a whisper, her surprise poorly hidden.

"Yeah..." Jake paused, eyeing Emily with a playful grin. "You were thinking Prince Charming struck again, huh?"

She did. Although, it was plenty irrational a near eighteen year old felt she had a better skills at recognizing murders over trained professionals. Still, Emily felt the girls deaths were connected somehow. If you looked any one of the deceased on Facebook or Twitter, there profiles were absolutely littered with selfies. Every girl was such an avid lover of them, perhaps that's how Prince Charming found them.

"Well, it's not connected, Em..." Jake yawned, seemingly deciding he was more tired than he previously thought as he laid his head down on Emily's pillows. "I mean the selfie link was good, but it doesn't make sense how he found his victims just based on some pics."
After that, Jake took a moment to watch Emily with a strange look, one that caused her to frown.

"What?"

Jake stared at her, his eyes widening. "Are you wearing makeup?"

Emily's been forgetting wash the shadow from he eyes after applying it every morning. Part of her felt slightly miffed midnight was the first time Jake's noticed the makeup in the nearly three days since Emily's started to wear some. "Yeah..." she said, enjoying having Jake's gaze watch her eyes  intently.

"It kinda makes you look like a girl, Ems."

_______________________________________________

The next day, all Emily could really think about was her encounter with Jake after he spent the night. His comment was irking her.
 It kinda makes you like a girl.
What was Emily supposed to look like? Had she been such good friends with Jake for so many years he's now forgotten that she's actually a member of the female species?
Right about now, Emily was feeling she was so very far into the friend-zone with Jake, she might as well be adopting chest bumps and bro hugs to go along with their obviously platonic relationship. They might as well even adopt calling each other dude.

Emily was so distracted by his stupid wording, she barely noticed  smacking into a caramel haired girl  until  the hard impact startled the girl to accidently drop everything she was holding. Papers flew everywhere.

"Ow..." the girl opposite of Emily exclaimed, sighing as she watched all the papers she was holding go scattering across the floor in one swift motion.

"Oh my gosh, I am so, so, so, sorry." Emily exclaimed, hurriedly bending down to pick up the girl's papers for her. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going!"

"That was evident" the young woman replied curtly, accepting the papers from Emily. There was a snide tone in her voice, one that caused Emily to wince.

"Really, I'm so sorry. I was wrapped up in my own head, and it's been effecting my day." Emily mumbled, gathering up the last of the girl's many fliers. Sparing one a quick glance, she saw it was a party. A party for the Carter family's at their large house. Realization too over as she recognized the girl.
"You're Miranda Carter." Emily said, realizing this is her very first time talking to the new girl. Miranda watched Emily curiously, before sparing her a small nod.

Emily winced. "Well this has been a terrible way at making  a good first impression" she sighed, holding her hands out for the girl to accept back her fliers.

The corner of Miranda's lips twitched in a smile. She soon looked rather guilty. "I apologize for being kind of snotty, I'm just trying to get adjust to a new school" she frowned lightly.

Jake's previous words started playing in Emily's head, a silent reminder that Miranda Carter was the girl with the information on what girl was carrying on a sexual romance with Coach Cartwright. Now was the  perfect opportunity to grow acquainted with the new girl.

"My name's Emily" Emily smiled, sparing Miranda a small wave. "Would you like me to help you set up these fliers? It would be the perfect way for me to apologize for being a klutz" she smiled apologetically.
It was all of her years of watching Jake manipulate teachers and adults alike with a charming smile and innocent tone that had Emily convinced she could befriend this girl.
Jake was right -  Miranda was awfully quiet, more reserved than even Emily. She didn't seem to like talking to others, yet the small pushing of someone trying to get to know her was enough to allow her let down the small guard she was putting up.

"That would be lovely, thank you." Miranda replied, nodding for Emily to follow.
It was then that Emily took note of the girl's velvety accent.

"You have a really pretty accent" Emily complimented, taking yet another page from the Jake Mosley handbook - flattery works with anybody.

"Oh...Thank you." Miranda said, not saying another word until she and Emily had walked the entire length of the hallway. Nothing more was said. It was as though seeing that Emily wasn't going to run and  leave after helping staple the first four fliers did she speak again.
"I'm from London" Miranda said quietly, looking too nervous to speak louder than a whisper.

"Wow, it must've been amazing to live there" Emily nods. London was on her mental bucket list of places to visit along with Paris and Milan.

"Twas." Miranda said rather gloomily. "It's....different being in America - the culture, and the places aren't the same. It's too hot here." She added in, suppressing a smile.

Emily nodded. "Oh gosh, it must be terrible weather here compared to living in London."

Miranda chuckled. "Definitely a culture shock, but it's lovely not to deal with so much rain any longer-"

"-Miranda, how are the fliers coming along?" Another velvety accented voice asked, sounding more like the vocal substitute for silk and honey. A handsome young man  walked into view, his bronze colored hair covering his eyes until he pushed it back. Emily took a gulp, feeling suddenly nervous.

Jake had always been the only boy capable of causing Emily to blush just looking at, until now. This young man was the epitome of good looking. Pale skin that was the product of an obvious lack of sun showcased the light dancing of freckles that were splattered across the tip of his nose. He was tall, possibly 6'0 or a little taller, and was well muscled with a strong jawline.  It was as the handsome stranger locked eyes with Emily that she felt absolutely captivated by his lovely grey eyes. They were absolutely mesmerizing to look at.
"Well, hello." The beautiful boy said, watching Emily with lips slightly quirked into a smile.

Emily spared a small wave and a smile, but kept quiet. Good looking boys were often intimidating - especially ones that knew they were good looking. There was no possible way this young man wasn't aware he was gorgeous. There was too many females in the hallway watching him, including Ms. Cray, the new young office secretary.

"Declan, this is Emily" Miranda said, her voice quiet. "Emily, this is my brother, Declan."

Emily inwardly wondered if the girl ever spoke above a whisper. You could barely hear her considering the hallway was filling up with people upon the bell ringing. Miranda diverted her gaze to the floor, causing Emily to briefly wonder if she wasn't quite fond of her own sibling.
"Nice to meet you" Emily said, trying very hard not to blush. She felt like doing so just looking at the handsome boy.

 "Likewise." Declan grinned. He watched Emily for a spare few seconds, suddenly causing Emily to feel she's met him before.
"Do we know each other, Emily?" Declan asked, tilting his head to watch Emily curiously.

"I don't think so - you look familiar, though."
It was the truth. There was something utterly familiar about Declan, but she couldn't place why.

"It's just...I know I've seen your beautiful face somewhere before" Declan smiled earnestly, causing Miranda to divert her eyes to the floor once more. She seemed suddenly embarrassed to be standing here while her brother was flirting.
Emily blushed as Declan stepped forward with a flier. "If my sister hasn't already invited you personally, would you care to go to my house party this weekend? We're new in town, and supposedly nothing makes new friends faster than free beer and a large party." Declan said, rolling his grey eyes. "I got that information from one of the soccer coaches here, sadly." He added in hastily, suddenly looking embarrassed.

"I'm sure that information is probably accurate." Emily offered, finding it cute the way Declan seemed to not want to embarrass himself in front of her.

"I do recognize you..." Declan trailed off, his lips quirking in a smile as his sister got back to stapling fliers. "It seems you're my perfect match..." he trailed off, obviously referencing something.

Emily stared at him for a moment before the realization slowly took over. Then she felt embarrassed. "You're  SoccerCarter118??"
She automatically realized why she recognized the handsome guy. He was identical  to the profile pictures of the guy she's been conversing with over perfect match for the last day and a half. She was even scheduled to have a date with him this weekend!

Declan started to laugh. "My screen name sounds so terrible when I can actually hear it for myself" he winced. "Yeah, that's me. You're Emily Daz. Now, is that a fake last name?"

"Unfortunately not." Emily grimaced. "I didn't have a better screenname so I went with my actual one" she said, causing Declan to chuckle.
In a way, she really disliked her last name.  No one could ever pronounce the last name Daz properly - it's either pronounced with the long A sound or pronounced like the ice-cream, Haagen & Dazs.
It's pronounced like the latter, but people still have strong trouble saying it.

As another bell started to ring, Declan winced in disappointment. "The only good thing about having to walk to class is knowing I get to walk away from this encounter already having secured a date with you." He grinned.

Emily's cheeks heated in a blush, and she silently prayed he didn't notice. "I'm now really embarrassed about that profile" she admitted, her mouth drying. Nervousness took over upon realizing she had a date with this cute new student.

"Don't be." Declan shrugged lightly. "It's supposed to be a way to meet new people - I'm thankful for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a date this weekend with the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." He grinned, the smallest of blushes hinting at his own cheeks.
"Can I....request your phone number?" He asked, causing a couple girls who were listening in on the conversation to spare Emily a surprised stare.
The rumor mill has been buzzing about Declan Carter for the last two weeks. Girls have been talking about how heartbreakingly gorgeous he is and how little interested he's been with the girls who've been throwing  themselves at him. 
"Sure" Emily said, resisting the urge to start giggling like a fool.

The  other girls who had been watching this conversation stared at Declan as if he were a Greek God reincarnated. There was such awe in their eyes, it was rather sad.
"I'll call you later......and hope that you pick up." Declan grinned before walking away. Miranda Carter spared Emily one  last small wave before leaving as well.

Emily couldn't help but grin as she started to walk down the hall, before she nearly walked into someone else. That was twice now in one day.
"I keep making a habit of nearly toppling people over" Emily grimaced, finding Ian Quinn standing behind her. This was entirely  the wrong person to bump into, accidental or not.

Emily and Ian have had a strange one-sided academic rivalry going since Emily first started attending John Addams. It's not due to anything Emily says or does, it solely stems from Ian.
She's found whatever she tries doing school wise, Ian has to try to one up her. When she decided to do her History project on Al Copone, Ian had to try and do his project on a better old-time mobster.
When Emily answers a question correctly in Calculus, Ian will send her an annoyed look that she was able to give a correct response. Same thing applies for Chemistry. Ian looks appalled every time Emily can solve an equation properly with absolutely no teacher assistance.

"You should probably look where you're going, then." Ian shrugged, his dark eyes narrowing.

"Right..." Emily sighed, not understanding the strange dislike Ian still held for her. Even though he seemed threatened by her on an academic level, his random dislike still seemed silly if not petty.
Emily started to walk away only for Ian to suddenly grab ahold of her forearm.  She watched him with widened eyes. He was taller than her by a lot. Ian was actually taller than a vast majority of guys his age where he hovered somewhere between 6'0-6-3' exactly. He had light brown hair that was nearly always untidy, and large hazel eyes he kept behind a hideous pair of poindexter glasses. He might actually be good looking if he didn't intentionally dress like he lived in the 1950's with his corduroy pants and vests over long-sleeved shirts.

"Anyone ever tell you online dating isn't really the safest thing to experiment with?" Ian asked, causing Emily to frown. She wiggled her arm, causing him to release her from his light grasp.

"Anyone ever tell you it's not polite to eavesdrop?" Emily countered with a small shrug. She wasn't being sarcastic - this was just the first thing to pop into her mind.

Ian grew a small smirk before stuffing his hands into his pockets. "It's a hallway, Daz. If you're looking for privacy, I suggest a place that doesn't have multiple people walking around capable of overhearing you. I thought you might need a crash-course on internet safety considering your 4.0 GPA doesn't seem to come equipped with common sense."  Ian said with a blank stare. He was dissing her.

A low cackle of a laugh comes from behind Emily. "Aww...That's so cute. You still have a sick little rivalry goin' on with the smartest chick at John Addams." Jake laughed, coming up to toss a muscled arm around Emily's shoulders. "Why don't you grow some balls and just ask her out already instead of this twisted little game of pulling-her-pigtails cause' you like her" he finished, a steely gaze on him as he watched Ian with dislike.
Jake can't stand Ian for his petty remarks he often throws Emily's way. He's not the violent type, but Emily is almost certain Jake secretly wanted to hit him a good ninety-five percent of the time.

"Oh look" Ian drawled with his southern accent. "Your douchebag sidekick once again swoops in to save the day."

Emily winced. This was going to ruffle Jake's feathers enough to use either heavy sarcasm, or insulting sarcasm. Which one it would be, she wasn't sure.
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound our walking away from the school loser" Jake says over his shoulder, turning Emily around to start walking.
"It's nothing personal, Quinn! It's not you, it's me.....Thinking it's you." Jake called cheekily, causing Emily to chuckle.
Ian's eyes narrowed as a small vein started to show in his neck. He absolutely detested Jake, but there was really nothing for him to do about it. Even though they were around the same height, Ian was more on the un-athletic spectrum compared to in-shape Jake.
Ian would lose a fight to him any day of the week.

"Be careful Daz....." Ian calls. "When you put your whole name out on the internet, you never know who can find you" he finished,  causing Emily to turn back to look at him.
With school releasing, it made a sea of students start swimming the hallways, making it easy for Ian to disappear down the crowded hall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

966K 56.8K 88
SEQUEL TO LOVING A VILLAIN There were sparks when we met, but not the kind that you would think. One look at him quite literally knocked me out. S...
To Be A Survivor By Gravity

Mystery / Thriller

14.4K 1.2K 74
Book #2 in the To Be A Runner series. If you haven't read book #1 I suggest you do that before continuing. Highest ranking #84 in Mystery/Thriller A...
1.9M 118K 74
A loving father desperate for power. A mother trying to save her family. A girl named Violet trying to find out what went wrong in her life and why h...
125K 27.4K 94
Title - Dangerous Personality Author - Mu Gua Huang MC- Xie Lin x Chi Qing Chapter 161 + 2 extras ထူးဆန်းသည့် ပြန်ပေးဆွဲမှုတစ်ခုအပြီးတွင် ချီချင်းတစ်...