Orison | Celeste Academy Seri...

By MyLovelyWriter

|COMPLETE| |Celeste Academy Series Book 3| As summer slowly comes to an end, the Festival of Ember begins. Th... More

FROM THE AUTHOR
Prelude
Chapter One ۞ Gray Scale
Chapter Two ۞ Takes One to Know One
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 1)
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 2)
Chapter Four ۞ The Blessing of the Skies
Chapter Five ۞ Realization
Chapter Six ۞ Riddle
Chapter Seven ۞ Plan to Fight
Chapter Eight ۞ Largesse
Chapter Nine ۞ Cifaro
Chapter Ten ۞ The Return
Chapter Eleven ۞ Reprimanded
Chapter Twelve ۞ Organizers
Chapter Thirteen ۞ A Calm Morning
Chapter Fourteen ۞ Special Class
Chapter Fifteen ۞ Seraphina's Request
Chapter Sixteen ۞ Collaboration
Chapter Seventeen ۞ The Rift
Chapter Eighteen ۞ Clandestine Melody
Chapter Nineteen ۞ Special Dinner
Chapter Twenty ۞ Lesson
Chapter Twenty-One ۞ Revelations
Chapter Twenty-Two ۞ Drawlots
Chapter Twenty-Three ۞ Disruption
Chapter Twenty-Four ۞ Complete
Chapter Twenty-Five ۞ The Lord's Lecture
Chapter Twenty-Six ۞ Open Channels
Chapter Twenty-Seven ۞ Two Songs
Chapter Twenty-Eight ۞ Identity
Chapter Twenty-Nine ۞ Parasite
Chapter Thirty ۞ A Sword That Can't Cut
Chapter Thirty-One ۞ Team Five
Chapter Thirty-Two ۞ Here Comes the Twelve
Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble
Chapter Thirty-Four ۞ The Library
Chapter Thirty-Five ۞ Finalizations
Chapter Thirty-Six ۞ Grand Opening
Chapter Thirty-Seven ۞ Let It Begin!
Chapter Thirty-Eight ۞ Keelan Versus Brindon
Chapter Thirty-Nine ۞ Let Me Take a Selfie
Chapter Forty ۞ It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter Forty-One ۞ Zevlin Versus Genevieve
Chapter Forty-Two ۞ The Great Fire
Chapter Forty-Three ۞ Halt
Chapter Forty-Four ۞ The Talk
Chapter Forty-Five ۞ Sudden Engagement
Chapter Forty-Six ۞ Stay or Go
Chapter Forty-Seven ۞ Blank
Chapter Forty-Eight ۞ Alone
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 1)
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 2)
Chapter Fifty ۞ I Believe
Chapter Fifty-One ۞ Headstart
Chapter Fifty-Two ۞ Elfre vs Raziel
Chapter Fifty-Three ۞ Thieves
Chapter Fifty-Five ۞ Spies
Chapter Fifty-Six ۞ Intruders
Chapter Fifty-Seven ۞ Hidden Power
Chapter Fifty-Eight ۞ Captive
Chapter Fifty-Nine ۞ Aneeka vs Rowe
Chapter Sixty ۞ Captive
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Two ۞ Feverish
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 1)
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Four ۞ Drakon
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Six ۞ Charles vs Tamara
Chapter Sixty-Seven ۞ Sliver
Chapter Sixty-Eight ۞ Time to Return
Chapter Sixty-Nine ۞ Amaranthine
Chapter Seventy ۞ Corvan vs Valeriana
Chapter Seventy-One ۞ The Aftermath
Chapter Seventy-Two ۞ Last Day
Chapter Seventy-Three ۞ Eyes Open
Epilogue
WARSONG

Chapter Fifty-Four ۞ Bound by Oaths

91.7K 6.5K 1.2K
By MyLovelyWriter

"You're careless." Was the first thing Corvan told her once their captor now turned captive was tied and thrown over a horse.

"I shall not reveal to you anything! I'd rather you kill me!" The woman thief exclaimed.

"Do you have a name you go by?" Asked Gavin patiently, seemingly unfazed by the countless threats spewing from her mouth.

Unlike Corvan, for the most part, Gavin rarely gave in to his temper and could almost be on par with Rowe in terms of patience. This was really strange, especially since fire-wielders were known for their . . . short temper. Well, now that she thought of it, Zion was no different himself. He wasn't very patient, but, unlike Corvan, he did not frown all the time and was actually a jolly person. On the other hand, he lacked self-control when it came to his whims.

Fire-wielders must differ in some way, but the shortness of patience or self-control must be common among them. If that is so, then what on Earth could Gavin's weakness be?

"Valeriana! Are you hearing me?" Corvan asked impatiently.

"Huh. What?"

"You're spacing out. Focus a bit more, stupid." He scolded. "You're wounded, do you not feel that?"

Valeriana did not realize she was bleeding then. She did feel unusually wet and sticky, but took it for her heavy sweating. The sting was mild, but the saltiness of her sweat agitated the wound further. It was only after she wiped off the corner of her jaw did she notice the blood.

"Holy shucks. When did I get this?"

"The knife pointed at your neck cut it open. The blade was sharp enough." Gavin said.

"Let me look at that." Corvan ordered. "A healer would be useful right now . . ." He said, shooting a sharp glare Gavin's way.

Gavin gave a smile. "I am not adept in healing." He said. "I am a fire-wielder."

"We'll have to go about this the old-fashioned way." Valeriana stated. "Do you have any first aid kits?"

Corvan handed her what she asked for and watched her work on disinfecting the wound. "You should probably pry the truth from the girl's mouth."

"I know nothing about tortures." Valeriana answered him, wincing as she felt the mild sting of the disinfectant.

"I meant your ability."

"Sorry." She shook her head in refusal. "I won't use it for something like that. Not that I can do that, anyway. I can only see memories."

Corvan gave her the usual look that told her she was dumb and she sighed inwardly at his expression. Even so, he made no move to comment on it. Of course she could know the truth from the memories alone! What would you have expected from someone who realized things too late, anyhow?

She couldn't say she was an idiot. She was more . . . well, more. More than that.

"Not a problem. I have something else in mind that can help us find it."

She gave him a questioning stare.

He fished out a knife from one of his pockets and threw it to his right. Valeriana eyed the path it followed and found a guy secretly crawling away towards a weapon. The knife landed just beside the guy's head, making him root himself in place and cover his face. It seemed as though he wasn't knocked out properly.

"Khalil!" Exclaimed their captive. "You fool! You should've stayed down!" She scolded.

That was the axe guy Valeriana recognized she tried knocking out. Apparently, she did a bad job at it.

"You there, mister." Said Corvan. "Speak in this girl's place. And don't even think about it or I won't miss."

They were benefiting anyway, so it shouldn't be so bad.

The guy stood up and tried to run. Gavin pulled out a rope from nowhere and throw the loop forward like some cowboy. It went around the guy and tightened around him, holding him in place until he fell over from the futile attempt of escaping.

Valeriana gave Gavin a glance. As though sensing the girl looking at him, he returned the gaze and gave a soft, humble smile.

"I may not be adept in swordfighting or anything but I'm quite good with the rope."

"You should've done that when my horse was running amock." Valeriana told him.

"It never came to mind, unfortunately."

"What kind of half-hearted excuse is that?" Corvan asked.

"But it is true!" He exclaimed as he tugged on the length of the rope, his arms working to drag the man towards them. "Besides, this is a skill I haven't honed. I wasn't confident it would do anything significant. I learned this during my travel when I visited the lone island far west from the Central Continent. It was a village named Duaplin." He narrated.

"And when was this?" Corvan questioned.

"Just a few months ago. Two at most, perhaps. It was after I met the king for dinner with Valeriana. Where we first met." He grinned, his arms working nonstop. "He had asked me to seek out this village and check on its condition. Knowing my love for travel, he thought of me first."

The guy was struggling when he reached the group. Corvan helped his cousin with the task of keeping their newest captive still by helping wound the rope around him.

"I didn't hear you talking to him about that, though." Valeriana said.

"This was because you excused yourself to seek out the rest room." He said.

"Oh, that." She nodded, nostalgia suddenly washing through her. "How long ago was that?"

"Not very long." Said Gavin. "And yet, you have changed drastically since then."

The woman was watching them with contempt. She had been listening closely to their conversation and seemed more than infuriated seeing as her eyes blazed with anger.

"We did not come out here to seek trouble with you but I guess we can stop by and fix issues along the way." Corvan said, then threw his gaze over his shoulder to meet Valeriana's eyes. "You do not mind if we have a little segway, do you?"

Valeriana held her hands up in surrender. "It's up to you, honestly. I mean, just as long as we get back to the academy in time, I have no problem."

"We have less than three days, it must suffice." Corvan thought.

"I do wonder, anyhow." Gavin muttered. "I thought thieves only lurked in the Artlen Desert. What bid you to come to the Golden Desert?" He asked the woman.

"So this isn't Artlen Desert?" Valeriana's eyes shot wide.

"It isn't." Said Gavin. "Though the border is a mere valley, these thieves limit themselves to Artlen alone. It is probably because more people take the route through Artlen than here, especially since the temperature here is higher and harder to handle."

"Why didn't we go there, then?"

"Because the way here is shorter. Should we have passed through there, I'm quite sure it would've taken us twice the time."

"You should be alarmed." Said their first captive. "More of us are coming!"

"Red." Said the guy they just captured. "Stop aggravating them!"

She did not listen.

"So your name is Red?" Gavin said. "That is quite suiting."

"I don't need any compliments from you nobles."

"Shut it." Corvan's voice reverberated.

"The least you can be is be civilized and at least show a little respect, milady." Gavin said.

"Respect is earned! It does not come in package with your birth and position!" She exclaimed.

Valeriana smiled. "I like this girl!" She jumped and made her way over to her. "High five! I so agree with that!"

She held her hand out for that before realizing the other girl was all tied up. She backed away slowly, somewhat embarrassed, especially since they were giving her weird looks.

"Um . . . sorry. Okay. Continue."

"That is hardly what I mean to say." Gavin added. "Position and birth hardly matters here. We are just humble travelers seeking out a goal."

Corvan chose the moment to speak once again. "Even if it is so, you attacked us first, attempted to inflict harm upon my group. I do not give a damn if you think respect is earned but you are in no position to spout such nonsense when you yourself have no sense of respect for the innocent who do not deserve your actions!"

"Well, what do you know about us, oh great one?" Red taunted. "You talk as if you know everything! We don't 'just attack the innocent' if that's what you think we do. We target them. Our victims all deserve our actions! They're hardly innocent at all!"

"Red!" Khalil exclaimed. "You bigmouth! Shut it at once!"

"So you guys are like those vigilantes who takes justice into their own hands, huh?" Valeriana concluded. "That must mean you planned to attack us?"

"Precisely correct." Red told her.

"You say you targeted us on purpose. Why and how did you know we would be out here?"

"An inside job! That should be it!" Valeriana firmly asserted. "I mean, how else would they know?"

"It is plausible. Espionage is the most possible way." Gavin said.

Khalil, their other captive, seemed absolutely on the edge. He looked beyond ready to kill himself with the way things were going. This girl Red sure had a big mouth, with just a few words, she revealed a lot.

"And it makes sense . . ." Gavin thought.

Corvan drew his sword and pointed the tip at the girl's neck. "Lead us to your base."

"In your wildest dreams." She said. "You should kill us first."

"Can't we do something more civilized here that won't lead to violence?!" Valeriana exclaimed in alarm.

"Then what do you suggest, Valeriana?" Gavin asked.

"Do you have any other ideas, then? I, myself, do not desire useless clashing such as this. But I'm left no other option."

"No. There is another way . . ."

Valeriana could still see auras. Her insight was one thing she could never block out unless she closed her eyes. Of course, the workings of her ability were still a mystery to her. Right now, Red's aura was wild. It flared and thrashed just as much as she did.

Perhaps she could find and see through the activity so that she could somehow tap into the open channels of the girl. If she could do so, she would be able to catch her off guard and see into her memories without violating the code of being a Direct User. People who did not know how to guard their auras were vulnerable and open to energies. She would accept Valeriana with open arms despite her physically and mentally against it. If she was caught unaware enough, she shouldn't offer much resistance.

If she could do this, there wouldn't be any trouble and everyone would be spared from unnecessary threats and violence. Besides, despite Corvan being a huge ass, he was quite keen about doing the proper job as the future lord of his lands. He would not do anything unfair to these people. Despite the attitude, he cared so much about those under the care of his continent.

Lord Lienhard warned her, even so. This could only be done once to each person. This was no different to immunity. Once she used this, she could never touch her again without her permission.

But still, invading someone's mind did not settle well with her. If she did it, no doubt they wouldn't earn their trust.

"There must be another way." She said aloud, deep in thought.

"Spill it out." Said Corvan.

Valeriana looked around and saw Khalil looking oddly calm as he observed them. Red was still restless while he maintained his composure. His dark skin gleamed with sweat and his breathing was laboured.

Khalil met her eyes. They were an interesting shade of brown--a mix of hazel and honey. They gleamed with masked fury, especially when she drew her knife from a hidden compartment within her sleeves and flashed its blade. Red was furious and started thrashing, yelling things like 'Get away from him!' and all those other things that sounded horribly insulting. They must be assuming that she would be killing the guy.

It wasn't her intention at all, though. She then screamed, "Can you please shut your mouth already! I'm not planning on killing anybody!"

She then pulled a part of the rope and sliced it, freeing the man. Gavin and Corvan had taken a step forward just in case, but, surprisingly, the man named Khalil did not run away.

"What do you need of me?"

"Please lead us to your hideout or something."

Khalil did not speak, merely staring at her.

"I mean . . . I promise we won't make any trouble. But, I'm sure if you guys do this, then that must mean there's a reason. We promise not to draw our swords at all once we step into your territory. We just want to know what's going on."

"Valeriana!"

"Do you know what you are talking about, girl?" He asked, blinking at her. "First you free me and this? How foolish can you be? I can grab that knife out of your hands any second and kill you should I wish."

"Then go right ahead." She handed him the knife. "Do what you want. We're hardly in any position to resist."

Khalil was dumbfounded at this. Corvan attempted to run forward when Gavin held his shoulder and pulled him back.

"People would probably think it's stupid since you did try to kill us. You even looked really crazy with that huge axe. My instincts tell me you aren't that bad of a person, though. Despite everything, your aura's really light."

"My aura? You can see my aura?"

"Yes, I can."

"That's impossible. To tell me my aura is . . ." He shook his head. "I've done many wrong things in this life. I'm weighed down by them . . . I might probably turn into a demon any second."

"I don't know much about this business, you know. But I have my own conclusions. The thing that probably keeps us all from being truly corrupted by everything is our regret."

He looked at her, confused.

"I believe you're a good person, that's it. Red, too." She answered. "But please don't ask me to explain, I can't. Here's one thing, though. I can assure you that even though Corvan's a jerk, he really cares about being a good lord. And seeing as it's so hard for him to say it out loud, I might have to speak for him."

"You are saying?"

"We'd like to talk to your leader, see if things can be straightened out?"

"That seems impossible since we were trying to kill you, like you just said before. Aren't you afraid we'll do so once you're within our territory?"

"You hold honor."

"And how do you know that?"

"'Cuz you said your victims were chosen and not indiscriminate. You must mean that you leave out the innocents and target only those you think deserve your actions." She firmly asserted.

"What basis do you have for that assumption?"

"You're holding the knife, but not doing anything with it."

He looked down at it and sighed, handing it over with little effort. Valeriana accepted it with a smile.

"I'm sure they've realized it before me but are too proud to actually ask nicely." She grinned. "Right, Corvan?"

Corvan crossed his arms and spoke no reply, his frown merely deepening.

"Well, if you want me to say yes, then your lord would have to tell me himself."

"Damned fool, don't even think about it!" Their other captive exclaimed.

Their eyes gravitated towards the young lord who seemed at war with himself. These matters could not be dealt with his pride, and surely, he would have to humble himself to put a proper solution to things.

Things seemed hopeless until he came forward, placed a hand on his heart, and said, "In the name of the Wyldens and Arland, reverent god of this continent, I uphold to you a promise. I come to you with benevolence, free of ulterior motives, with the mere desire to solve a case which ills this nation and you, as people of the continent which will soon be under my rule. I humble myself and ask for your assistance with regards to this matter."

Khalil smiled. "That's a very flashy form of speech."

"Let me translate. Please help us." Valeriana said.

"That's the only way he could maintain his dignity and pride, rather than begging outright." Gavin gave a light chuckle, earning a glare from his cousin.

"Alright, I'll tell you where it is."

"Khalil!" Red exclaimed. "You've gone mad!"

"But I won't lead you there myself." Said Khalil. "Please know that there is no greater treason other than disclosing the location of our base. It is punishable by death."

"That's--"

"We've been suffering for so long in these deserts, you see . . . each one of us in the village. Matters will not be solved should we continue this way, not to mention rebelling against the government will do my people no good at all."

"Khalil!"

"Stop!" Khalil yelled back. "This is hard on me as much, and this trust I will give away might cost us our lives! But I'm making an important decision."

Valeriana felt a clench in her heart at this.

"Alright, then." He breathed in deeply. "Head towards the rigorous red valleys of the Ash Canyons. Find the rock which has a face, and enter the lion's mouth."

"That isn't too specific." Valeriana raised a brow.

"I have told you more than enough." He said. "If you really are determined to find it, you will."

Corvan did not protest and said instead, "Leave that girl and let us depart."

Valeriana winced as Red was unceremoniously lowered to the ground, still bound. As she started to ride her own horse, Khalil called out to her.

"Miss Valeriana."

Holding onto the saddle of her horse for support with her left foot on the stirrup, she threw her gaze over her shoulder and stared at Khalil questioningly.

"You will do a good job becoming the lady of these lands." He said. "Please continue keeping Lord Corvan in check."

Her cheeks were set aflame and she hastily mounted the back of her horse, her hair falling to cover her face.

That was when she remembered the ring. She forgot about it, apparently.

Seems as though she would have to return it soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224 45 27
The army of Demons has been repelled and almost a year later demon activity is scarce. That is until a new terror descends on the Lightforce Academy...
147K 15.6K 77
In a politically volatile kingdom, Noah is tasked with finding the catalyst, a magical artifact rumored to greatly enhance the potential of the wield...
1.5K 88 7
There is no shortcut to success. What if there was? For a price. Will Ember escape the horrors she and her best friend Lily unleashed into reality? O...
337 4 20
With the Great War at an end, the Elementals decide to take a break for awhile and decide that it's time to adventure further throughout the universe...