S.P.E.A.K. - Wattpad Intervie...

By MoronicWisdom

S.P.E.A.K. - Do you want to read detailed, in-depth interviews with your favourite Wattpad authors? Get to kn... More

S.P.E.A.K - Wattpad Interviews
Interview with Author: Lana_sky (Nikki)
Interview with Author: AuRevoirSimone (Keev)
Interview with Author: keeper21 (Kay)
Interview with Author: LifeLustingDreamer (Charlotte Evans)
Interview with Author: vovnix (Veronica)
Interview with Author: KC-Blares (KC)
Interview with Author: TheStyclarSaga (Nikki Kelly)
Interview with Author: xanthis (Daqri)
Interview with Author: AlysArden (Alys)
Interview with Author: Lydia161290 (Lydia)
Interview with Author: esoteric918 (Vicky C)
Interview with Author: conleyswifey (Nicole)
Interview with Author: inkzerospace (Emmy)

Interview with Author: SimplyAWriter_D (Dana)

369 13 6
By MoronicWisdom

WATTPAD AUTHOR INTERVIEW

'Dana' has become very well known on Wattpad, especially because of her werewolf series, "Mate or Not". Her stories have managed to reach millions of views and thousands of votes. She was incredibly kind and nice to talk to and it was a laugh to get to know one of Wattpad's well-known authors! I really got an insight into what it is like for her to write on Wattpad. Here it is, enjoy! Thankyou, Dana, for taking the time to speak with me in the early hours of the morning as well! I loved talking to you and your answers were brilliantly informative and interesting!

Name: Dana

Age: 17

Author of: Mate or Not series, It Is What It Is, You'll Never Know

When did you join Wattpad, Dana?

     Uum, July of 2011, I think.

Were you writing before you joined Wattpad, or was it Wattpad that actually inspired you to write?

     I was writing before Wattpad on Word documents, usually, but I discovered a website called missliterati and spent a while writing on it before finding Wattpad.

What made you want to join Wattpad, exactly?

     Well, at first, I wasn't so sure about it (deeply attached to missliterati) but I figured why not. There are good stories to be read on both!

Are you still a member of missliterati?

    Yes, but it's been a while since I opened my account there.

Can you remember your first ever story and what inspired you to write it?

   Hmm, yes. My first story (not published on either sites) was rather cliche. I forgot it's name but it was about a girl who was trying to get out of her twin sister's shadow. I guess what inspired me was my own tries to be an individual and not be like my older sister.

I can understand that! Okay, so next question: Do you think Wattpad has helped you improve your writing, and if so, how?

    Yes, I really do think so. I never knew how much till I read MONYSAJ again a while ago. Writing more helped and so have the wonderful people who had read and commented on my stories with constructive criticism. My writing has improved, in my opinion, and there's still ways I can improve and work on myself so there's still a long way to go.

What inspired you to write the "Mate or Not" series?

    Oh, well that's easy. I have phases where I get stuck on a specific genre to read for a while. And by then I was stuck on the werewolf genre, and when I read my first rejected mate story I thought I should give it a go because I got the idea of MONYSAJ.

Did you expect the type of response you got from MONYSAJ, and if not, why?

    No, not at all. I knew my writing needed a lot of work and wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but I thought 'what the hell, I like the idea so I'll write.'

Did your readers and fans influence the events that happened in MONYSAJ in any way, or did you write the story exactly how you had imagined it, despite the negative/positive response it may get?

     Well the story did change a lot while I was writing it. I took my reader's reactions to the events and sometimes it made me want to change something and sometimes I did. But not major plot changes because I wanted to write my story like I wanted it to be.

Were you still happy with the outcome of the story in the end, then?

    Yes, I was. I probably would've deleted, re-written chapters a lot, too. That's why I never made big plot changes because I didn't want to do that to my readers

Have you ever considered self-publishing or appealing to a publishing house?

     Yes, a lot. But I know these things take time and I want my writing to be the best it can be before I think of any kind of publishing. I still have a lot of time ahead of me to improve my writing before getting published.

What type of genres do you write, either on or off of Wattpad? Do you stick to the werewolf genre, or do you ever feel the urge for a change?

     On Wattpad, my stories are mostly werewolf (due to the Mate or Not series), but I have tons of stories (in a folder on my laptop) that are not werewolf that I really wanted to put on Wattpad once the series is done and I have more time. It's not an urge to change, more like an urge to try new things and  see what happens.

Do you think there is a difference between "writing" and "storytelling"?

    Yes, there is a difference of course; story telling is the plot and the characters and the twists, turns and settings, while writing is the way you weave the words together, if you can get the message across or not; whether you can give images and induce emotions. Books can have a great story but bad writing and vice versa. And both are equally important in creating a story.

Do you read on Wattpad, an if so, what type of stories (examples, perhaps?) do you read?

     Yes I read a lot on Wattpad (though not recently because of my finals and other matters) and I like reading all kinds of stories. I love Historical Fiction like "Breaking Boundries" part of a series by conleyswifey. I also read werewolf and paranormal and a lot of other genres. I like to give all genres a chance.

Do you currently have a favourite book on Wattpad?

    I can't choose a favourite, they're all so different and so individually great, I could never choose.

Do you have any unique, quirky before/during/after writing rituals or perhaps a "thing" that you do to get in the mood for writing?

     I need to listen to a few songs before writing, mostly songs that relate to the chapter or its general mood. But that's about it.

What would you define "a good story" as?

    A good plot, character development, but most of all a story that can make me feel whatever the character is feeling.

Do you believe originality is important in a "good story"?

   Yes I think originality is really important. I mean, if all stories had mutual ideas but different details, we'd all get bored. Of course, everybody loves a good cliche, but you gotta know when to put in something original and unique.

Do you think you achieved this in your stories, and why?

     I'm known for the usual cliche, but I like to think my stories have a bit of originality to them, of course I think that the true judge of this are the readers, hopefully I don't disappoint.

How did you come up with the title for Mate or Not. You're Still a Jerk?

     I regret the title to be honest, it's too long and, in my opinion, simple. But I didn't want to change it halfway.

I don't know how I came up with it, it was the first title I thought of to be honest because I didn't expect anyone to read it so I didn't dwell on it.

Have you ever considered changing it now it is complete? Or is too well known to try, now?

     Now it is complete, no I don't want to change it. In the end the series is the "Mate or Not" series and I don't mind it as much as I did while it was still in progress.

Do you have any new novels in mind that you may be posting after Mate or Not series is complete? Also - how many books does the Mate or Not series consist of?

     Mate or Not. You're Still a Jerk - Home in Your Arms - Bound to Him and maybe one more, depends on if I merge the two stories together or do them separately. And yes, I'm thinking of posting a non-fiction story "My Heart for His" that I'm hoping people will like.

Have you ever reached a stage on Wattpad when you have wanted to give up, and if so, how did you overcome it and keep writing?

     Yes I did. I remember a time when I was dealing with personal issues that depressed me and then getting very nasty personal messages that made me want to just close my account. But then I closed my laptop for a few days, sorted out what I needed and I just grabbed a book and read. Reading always calms me down and makes me feel better. And I reminded myself that I'm writing for me.

Nobody else. Because I love to write.

Do you think that some of your personal, individual traits are shown in your writing, and if so, how?

     I think so. I think my writing, especially my characters have some of my traits. With Kenzie from Home in Your Arms, it was her insecurity - with Lux from MONYSAJ, it was her bit boyish personality and so on.

Do you believe your stories' success and popularity has affected you in any way?

    I believe my stories' success has made me a bit more confident in my writing. When I first started writing I just knew I wasn't good enough and never showed what I wrote to anyone. But now after seeing the beautiful comments, messages and votes my stories have got make me more confident and proud of how far I've come from my first story to now. And thankful for the support Wattpad readers gave me the whole time.

Do you think it's possible to fall in love with your own characters, and grow so attached to them it's as though they are living, breathing people?

     Yes. Absolutely.

Because when you pour your heart into writing the character and watching them change from the beginning of the story to the end and go through all their pain, it's like you know them. Each character I write is precious to me and every story end is a bitter-sweet one to me. Our characters are a part of us, they might as well be alive and breathing because they are just that important.

Our babies! :P

If I remember from your profile correctly, you stated that English wasn't your first language, am I right?

     Yes you are. My first language is Arabic actually.

Did that make writing difficult at all?

      Well the thing is I've always known English and read books but my first school (for about five years) had a really weak English system but after I transferred it got WAY better. I use English a lot in day to day life so it wasn't that hard but sometimes I do find trouble because of my previous school's inability to teach the basics.

But all in all, writing English isn't hard for me now.

I use it more, as much as I use Arabic when I speak. :P

Really? That's so cool! I know a little Chinese but it's no where near as cool as speaking Arabic!

     Lol, Chinese is the  first hardest language to learn, Arabic is second, so you're cooler then!

But you're fluent, aren't you? Or does the fact Chinese is harder equal it out so we're equally as cool?*winks*

       Yes, but I was born in Lebanon so I had to be fluent. I can't imagine learning Chinese.

Yeah, five years of pain and torture was what it was...*cough* Sorry! Erm - do you have any advice to authors Wattpad who are trying to get their work noticed and trying to get their story known?

         Haha! I never really promoted my stories coz I'm too shy to ask but I think the first thing to do is comment and post on walls and get yourself noticed, you don't even need to ask them to read your stories. If you involve yourself in other stories then people are bound to get noticed.... I think. I don't know if that makes sense but I tried.

If you could be anyone in the world - who would it be, and why?

      Oooh! Tough one.

I would like to maybe be one famous actor or singer but temporarily only. Just to know the feeling of singing in front of crowd or acting out a scene. For the actor "Karen Gillan" while she was still acting doctor who and for a singer probably "Avril Lavinge".

No. Scratch that. Christina Aguilera. Coz I' love to have her voice and keep yelling out high notes! :P

Okay, now we're nearing the end of our interview, would you like to say anything to your fans directly?

       Yes I would.

Thankyou soooo much for every comment, vote and read and all your support. I notice each and every one, I promise and each one of them brings a smile to my face and makes me want to write more just to make you guys happy!

You're all precious to me.

Aw, that's so sweet! But yes - last question, did you enjoy this interview?

      Yes, I did. The questions were very interesting and fun to answer so thanks a lot, you really made my day *hugs*

You made mine by agreeing! Any questions you may have before we call this interview closed?

       Only to tell me when you post it so I can check it out and tell my fans to as well!

This interview was so much fun. It was being done in the early hours of the morning, so I'm super glad that Dana took the time to continue to answer my questions, because she must have been shattered!

Thankyou again, Dana and it was a lovely experience talking to you, I look forward to doing so again soon! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 1.6K 40
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
184K 1K 190
Mature content
89.8K 1.3K 47
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
66.6K 3.1K 73
❤️