Adventure Second Prime: Frien...

By ChansuHiro

Emery Acer is obsessed with heroes. Not just any heroes, but shounen manga heroes. His senior year in high sc... More

Chapter 1 - The Unlikely Hero
Chapter 2 - Training and The Fight
Chapter 3 - How a Hero Uses Their Powers
Beginning of Part II - The Final Fight
Annie, Rina and Grey VS. Persephone
Kamie and Kiran VS. Vanity
Ken VS. Magellan
Kiran VS. Amor -- Jan VS. Vanity
Derek and Grey vs. Dolor
Emery VS. Orion -- Story Finale

Chapter 4 - In The Absence of Light

29 0 0
By ChansuHiro

Chapter 4 - In the Absence of Light

                “Where am I?” Emery said.

                He had fainted after fighting with Darrius. All Emery could see was blackness. He had heard himself talking within that blackness and had confirmed that it was really his own voice. He was trying to figure out where he was within the darkness.

                “Hello there," A voice said.

                The voice was familiar to Emery. It was the same voice that pushed him to accept and use the power within him. It was also the voice of the entity that he used to fight in his dreams. The voice was known as Malice.

                “Reveal yourself to me," Emery said.

                “Don’t you want to know why you’re here," Malice said.

                “Where?” Emery asked.

                “Hold on I’ll turn on the lights," Malice said quickly.

                Light filled the area and they were both on the same town that had served as their battleground in Emery’s earlier dreams. However, the town was different this time. All of the people were lying on the ground unconscious. That boy that put his hope in Emery and the girl that had cheered him on in his dreams were both among the bodies splayed before them.

                “Why are these people here?” Emery asked.

                “You mean the people that I broke in your absence?” Malice said.

                “Those people put their hope in me," Emery said solemnly.

                “And?” Malice said.

                “Why wasn’t I able to protect them…?” Emery said to himself.

                “They were just thoughts Emery, they weren’t that strong anyway," Malice said.

                “I still want to be a hero!” Emery shouted.

                “Whatever you do, you won’t be able to protect anyone. You couldn’t even defeat me," Malice said.

                “I will defeat you," Emery said.

                “I’m not some run of the mill entity, or a tool to derive your power from. I am a force that cannot be controlled," Malice said.

                “I have been fighting you since I was a kid. Now I'm stronger and..." Emery said.

                “You’ll never defeat me now; now that you’ve accepted power. There’s no way you can even hope to erase my existence. Absolute power brings with it absolute evil and you’ll never escape that kind of evil, Emery Acer," Malice said as he pointed at Emery.

                “I will be a hero," Emery said, his hands were balled into fists and at his sides.

                “Will you say those words if everyone around you were to lay lifeless, even your ‘friends’. Even if they abandoned you?” Malice said with a twisted smile. Malice then waved in the direction of a lifeless body that looked like it belonged to Jan.

                Emery was furious, he ran toward Malice with his fist raised. He forgot about the darkness that was around him, the bodies of the people, Darrius’ bloody broken face and all he could think about was defeating Malice who threatened his friends.

                “I WILL BE A HERO! DID YOU HEAR ME?!” Emery shouted.

                Emery opened his eyes slowly. He was on a bench at the bus lot. He looked around and saw Kiran and Ken. Everyone else wasn’t there.

                “He’s awake," Ken said.

                “Hey captain!” Kiran shouted.

                “Hi guys…” Emery said.

                Emery tried to get up but his movements were jerky and weak. Ken helped him sit upright on the bench. Kiran was standing over Emery with his arms folded.

                “You almost killed that guy," Kiran said seriously, referring to Darrius.

                “He had to be taken to the hospital by that Henry kid, after we told him," Kiran continued.

                “What was that power?” Ken asked.

                Emery looked straight forward and tried to get his vision to stop blurring. Kiran walked over and stood in front of him, blocking his view of the basketball courts that comprised the bus lot.

                “Look I don’t know," Emery said.

                “You have to teach me how to use it!” Kiran said with stars in his eyes.

                “I was told that it’s a power that draws on an inner conflict and it has to be unlocked. But that’s all I know," Emery said.

                “So if I think about all the good and bad in my life, I can punch like that?” Kiran said, bending down to put his face in Emery’s face.

                “If I can find out more, I’ll teach you," Emery said, trying to make up for his unusual coldness earlier that day.

                “This is probably why he recruited us all. He probably really had a plan to make us heroes," Ken said with his hand to his chin.

                Emery knew that he should tell them about the meeting he had with Orion, but he was confused as to if it would really improve things. Kiran whacked Emery on the back, in his usual playful way. He then put his arm around Emery’s neck.

                “I’ll never regret joinin’ up with you!” Kiran said boisterously.

                Kiran did not even care that Emery had beaten Darrius until he was bleeding. He just wanted to figure out how to tap into a power like that. Ken though, still had his hand to his chin. He was trying to put all of the pieces of information about Emery together, including the meeting he had with that tall blonde-haired guy. Ken decided against confronting Emery about that because it seemed like everything was going to be okay.

                Later that night…

                Jan was in her pajamas and getting ready to go to bed. She was sitting on the edge of her bed thinking about what had happened earlier that day. Emery had a look on his face that I had never seen before, Jan thought.

                The thought of scene had scared Jan, especially because of the dream she had of him a few nights earlier. Emery had a scowl on his face as he broke Darrius’ arms and then as he punched Darrius in the face. Something made Jan regret liking Emery. Something made her want to leave his club. She decided to sleep on it, and decide in the morning.

                At 3:00am…

                Jan had woke up and looked at her alarm clock to check the time. It was chilly in her room. She woke up to get another blanket for her bed.

                “Jan," A voice called out.

                Jan jumped as she opened her closet. She turned around quickly.

                “WHO’S THERE?!” Jan shouted.

                “It’s me, Emery. I know that you like me. Or you wouldn’t have been so frightened by me," The voice said.

                “I don’t like Emery, anymore," Jan said.

                “You inspired me to want power. Don’t be scared of me EVEN IF I ENDED UP GETTING YOU KILLED!” Malice said with a shrill scream.

                “No!!” Jan screamed as she jumped back into bed and pulled the sheet over her head.

                Why me, Jan thought, why do you torture me Emery?

                Jan couldn’t sleep for much of the night and had only slept for another hour once she finally got to sleep…

                The next morning Emery was on the bus sitting in his usual seat, staring blankly out of the window. Annie walked over and stared at him.

                He’s so cute, if I know him I bet he has great things planned for his superpowers, Annie thought. Annie then blushed watching Emery.

                “How’re ya doin?” Annie said cheerfully.

                Emery said nothing and continued to stare out of the window.

                “Still feeling under the weather?” Annie asked.

                “I’m fine," Emery said without looking at Annie.

                “Alright! So what do you got planned for club today?” Annie asked.

                Annie then sat down right next to Emery.

                “I’m canceling our meeting today," Emery said, still trying to avoid looking at Annie.

                Annie got up with a shocked look on her face and put her hand to her mouth.

                “I don’t believe it! You’re canceling a meeting?!” Annie exclaimed.

                She then sat down in the seat across from Emery’s.

                “Next you’ll say something stupid like ‘I don’t wanna be a hero anymore’” Annie said, trying to get one of Emery’s usual responses.

                Emery said nothing and stared at the back of the seat in front of him.

I really don’t know if I want to be a hero anymore

, Emery thought. He then turned and looked at Annie.

                “Leave me alone today Annie," Emery said.

                “Alright well if you want to talk I’m two seats in front of you," Annie said with a wink and then walked away.

                Emery turned away to look out the window again. Within minutes the bus had dropped the students off at the school. Emery got off the bus and as soon as he stepped down there was a random kid there waiting for him. The kid was kind of chubby. He was wearing a button-down Hawaiian shirt and jeans. He also had a hat on his head that read “I’m a Hero!”.

                “Hi my name's Gary! I heard so much about the Adventure club! Someone told me you’re the president, can I join?!” The chubby kid asked.

                Emery didn’t say anything. He kept walking forward without even looking at Gary. Who could blame him, Gary was a very unimpressive, around four feet tall and a complete pudge-ball. Gary, being a naive freshman, wasn’t going to give up without an answer from the guy rumored to have super powers. For some reason, Emery knew he didn’t like the kid.

                “C’mon I promise I won’t bring you guys down. I really just wanna be a hero like those superheroes in comic books! What would be cool is if we could read comics all day after school!” Gary exclaimed as he shuffled to keep in stride with Emery.

                He wants to read comics after school?! Emery thought.

                Gary put his arms out in front of him, then at his sides and pretended to fly around Emery. He started chuckling as he ran.

                “You’re gonna make me a hero!” Gary exclaimed as he circled Emery.

                It’s not about crappy comics and pretending to fly! Emery thought angrily. This kid is really getting on my nerves, Emery thought.

                Emery said nothing and put his right arm out. Gary was clothes-lined and fell on the ground, landing on his back. He got up and grabbed his nose which had a small trickle of blood.

                “I-I thought you were a hero. That’s what Derek told me!” Gary said with a hurt tone and expression on his face.

                “Stop bothering me," Emery said coldly.

                Emery walked away from him and Gary started to cry. Annie was frozen twenty feet behind the scene. She put her hand to her heart and started to cry. Emery kept walking and didn’t look back at either of them.

                Emery was putting his books into his locker when the loudspeaker came on. “Emery Acer, Emery Acer! Report to the principal’s office!” The announcement reported.

                Kiran was looking over at Emery from his own locker. Kiran then shut his locker. Emery clenched his fist and slammed his locker.

                Dude’s angry for no reason, Kiran thought, I’ve never seen him like that.

                Emery walked down the hall and did not even look toward Kiran. Trisha came over to Kiran and leaned on the adjacent locker. Kiran eyed her like she was a pimple.

                “I heard he started a fight with a freshman," Trisha said.

                “Yeah the nerd probably had it coming," Kiran said, still eying Trisha.

                “That’s not like you," Trisha said.

                “It’s not like you to talk to me," Kiran said.

                “And I want to talk to you some more right now, come with me," Trisha said as she grabbed Kiran’s wrist.

                Trisha took off, dragging Kiran with her down the hallway. For someone like her, she really seemed too eager open up to someone like Kiran. Kiran just scratched his head as she pulled him and didn’t resist. She looked into a classroom to make sure it was empty and pulled Kiran with her inside. Trisha sat down in one of the empty seats and Kiran sat in an adjacent desk.

                “Darrius isn’t doing that well," Trisha said with a concerned look.

                “Yeah he and Emery duked it out after the boxing match," Kiran said.

                “Well I visited him at the hospital. He keeps going on about being cheated and used by some guy named Orion," Trisha said.

                “But I don’t know who he’s talking about” Trisha added worriedly.

                “Me either. But Emery might know," Kiran said with his hand to his chin.

                “Whatever happens, I want you to protect Kamie," Trisha said with a worried expression.

                “Emery might be in some deep crap," Trisha continued.

                “Yeah, uh sure," Kiran said, perplexed.

                It doesn’t matter anymore, I don’t care about the circumstances I just want that power, Kiran thought.

                As Emery was walking toward the principal’s office he passed Ken and Rina. They were talking to each other and then looked at Emery. He also passed Derek, who tried to hide on the side of a row of lockers, in plain view. Emery walked past them without saying a word.

                The bell rang and the hallways started to clear. However, there were people who remained in the hallway. Some were members of the Adventure club.

                Emery opened the door to the principal’s office. The principal was sitting in the office with his chair back turned to Emery. Emery sat down in the chair in front of the principal’s desk.

                Outside, Rina pressed her face to the glass trying to look inside. Annie was there also with her back to the glass. Derek, Grey, Kiran, and Ken were also there. Kamie and Jan were in class. At this point, Annie was holding back tears.

                “I was the one who told the principal," Annie said to everyone.

                Once Emery sat down, the principal turned his swivel chair around and faced Emery. He then cleared his throat and started to talk.

                “Emery you used to be a familiar face in my office. You were always beating up bullies and protecting the nerds. …And I let you off the hook with a slap on the wrist," Principal Warren said with a look of disdain.

                Emery said nothing to try to explain himself while the principal paused. Principal Warren cleared his throat and started talking again.

                “Do you have anything to say?” Principal Warren asked sternly.

                “The kid had it coming," Emery said.

                Principal Warren looked shocked and then started to talk. “Emery you have very dark circles under your eyes, have you been getting enough sleep?” Principal Warren asked with a concerned tone.

                He was wondering what could have caused Emery to go berserk and do something that he would never normally do. Usually he and Emery had a passionate rapport whenever he was in the office. Emery would always be friendly and fun to talk to. In fact, they were friends to some extent.

                “I’ve had some nightmares," Emery said, looking Principal Warren in the eyes.

                “I think I have a clue, but you are still suspended. Gary says he wanted to join your new club, the one that student council banned, and you punched him for no reason," Principal Warren said angrily.

                The principal walked over to the window and looked out. He then quickly closed the blind on Rina and Derek who were looking in. He turned back around and sat back down in his chair.

                Meanwhile Emery’s friends who were waiting outside were talking about him.

                “His goal was to inspire, and to teach us the ways of a hero," Ken said admirably.

                “Yeah he promised we could be heroes. I never expected him to reject Gary...” Derek said.

                Derek thought back to the time that Emery helped him when Harold was trying to beat him up in the hallway. Derek couldn’t say anything bad about Emery before he knew that it was Emery’s fault.

                “He seemed so sincere," Rina said with her arms folded.

                “But he made Annie cry," Rina said quickly, with anger.

                “That’s nothing like him, there must have been something else behind it," Kiran said as he walked over to them, joining the conversation.

                “I-I don’t know," Annie said sadly.

                “You saw it too," Derek said, referring to the fight that Emery had with Darrius.

                “Whad'ya mean you don’t know? You’re the closest person to him," Kiran said, trying to egg Annie on.

                “I saw it with my own eyes," Annie said.

                “He must have kicked Emery in the balls or something," Kiran said with a laugh.

                “No, he punched that little boy for no reason," Annie said, and then started to cry again.

                “Whoa whoa I don’t think he would'a did that on a whim," Grey said with his hand on Annie’s shoulder.

                “There is something else going on with Emery that might have caused this," Ken said, trying to put everything together.

                “Did that kid run here to tell you?” Emery said angrily to Principal Warren.

                “No a young lady named Annie told me," Principal Warren said sternly.

                “Now that I know your true colors, your club cannot meet anymore, on school grounds or off," Principal Warren said in a domineering tone.

                That’s all I have to hear. I don’t care what his reason was, I gave him too much impunity and respect and he did nothing but take advantage of it, Principal Warren thought.

                “…And you’re suspended for three days. Take your things and go home. You are dismissed," Principal Warren said.

                Emery got up and opened the door. The door opened inward and Annie fell backwards. Emery caught her as he was leaving. Annie pushed herself off of Emery and brushed herself off.

                “Thanks I guess. See you on the bus," Annie said. She didn’t know whether to be mad at Emery or forgive him because they were friends after all.

                “I’m not going to be on the bus," Emery said as he walked away.

                Emery walked toward the school exit and left the building. He didn’t say anything to anyone else who was there. Kiran pointed at Emery and shouted.

                “You better keep you promise!!" Kiran shouted.

                Kiran didn’t know if that promise was to teach everyone to be a hero or if it was to give him powers. Kiran felt sorry for Emery, though as a friend, even if he thought that Emery owed him those superpowers. Meanwhile Ken started to think about that blonde-haired guy that singled Emery out weeks ago.

                The last bell of the day rang and everyone was leaving school for the day. The Adventure club met at the bus lot, though without Emery they were just a group. Kiran had asked them to meet him there. He was usually the one to tell everyone that the club was going to meet and everyone always came whenever Kiran let them know they were meeting.

                “So Emery’s parents picked him up around lunch time huh?” Kiran asked.

                “Yeah, I saw him getting picked up and he looked like a ghost…” Grey said.

                “He was always so inspirational. This is making him lose his essence," Ken said.

                “I guess there’s no club today then," Rina noted distantly.

                “That’s not even funny!” Annie shouted.

                “I was just poking fun at the situation," Rina responded.

                “The situation?! The situation is that were fake heroes following some crazed mad kid on his pipe dream and we’ve got nothing to show for it!” Annie shouted.

                Annie was very angry and she was holding back tears. Derek became angry too.

                “Whoa that’s a little much," said Derek.

                “Especially coming from you Annie, I know how you really feel about him," Kamie said and then winked at Annie.

                “How would you feel if you adored some crazy kid and made his dream yours just to have it shatter in front of your eyes?!” Annie shouted.

                “Adored?” Jan said, trying to conceal any revealing emotions.

                Jan was there but she was silent up until now. The news that Emery had beaten up a weaker person came to her as a shock and also a scare. Jan knew Emery since he was a freshman and he never beat up anyone who was weaker than himself. However, she was more scared at the person that he was quickly becoming. She was mostly scared that she was having nightmares about Emery.

                “Yes I was going to be the heroine until I found out that he’s no hero," Annie said, tears streaming down her face.

                “Wow don’t count him out," Kiran said.

                “I think there’s a force bigger than Emery at work here," Ken said sensing that something was different, even within himself.

                “I think we’re all missing something, that fight Emery had with Darrius," Derek said.

                “Those two leaders had some kind of power up," Kiran said, refering to Emery's and Darrius' leadership positions.

                “Maybe we should all leave the group," Jan blurted out.

                “You didn’t see what I saw. He was the opposite of everything he said he staked his life, our club on," Annie said.

                “We shouldn’t all leave him just yet, I think we should get his explanation," Ken said.

                “Yeah! Let’s wait on Emery to make our next move. As the vice captain, I vow that we will not be disbanded!” Kiran said confidently.

                Emery had been in his room for hours since he came back home. He was at a loss on what to do next. One part of him was urging him to apologize to Gary, another part urged him to find Orion, yet another told him he didn’t need anything or anyone anymore. He felt like everything was happening inside of a dense mental fog.

                He opened his backpack and found a copy of a manga that wasn’t his. He took it out of his backpack. That manga was the same one he was reading on the bus on the first day of school. It was one of Emery’s favorite shounen manga and he’s had it for years. Just now though, he realized that it wasn’t his. He looked inside the cover and Jan’s name was written in the corner of the cover.

                When did she give me this? Emery thought, it was probably freshman year.

                “She still has the manga I gave her!” Emery said.

                Why am I thinking about manga now? Emery thought.

                Emery decided to go to Jan’s house and talk to her. In the past, he could always just drop by her house. In the past, she’d make tea and they’d hang out and just talk about manga and anime. Jan was Emery’s closest friend ever since he quit being a jock. Though, this year Emery seemed to rely on her less for friendship. Emery knew that she’d have something useful to say that would help him figure out what to do next.

                Jan was doing her homework when the doorbell rang. She got up and put her pen down on her desk. She then walked downstairs and toward the door. She opened the door to see Emery there. She then closed the door quickly. Emery pressed the doorbell again. Jan opened the door again.

                “What do you want?” Jan asked bluntly through the glass security door.

                “I just wanted to give you back this manga, and I thought we could talk over tea,” Emery said, trying his best to smile.

                “You can just leave it on the doorstep," Jan said.

                “Just let me in," Emery demanded, hurt that she wouldn’t treat him the same as before.

                “No Emery. How do I know you don’t come here at night and terrorize me?” Jan said, behind her glass security door.

                Emery reached into his bag and took out the manga in question. Jan looked at the cover for a second. She then opened the door and took the manga from him quickly. She then flashed him a mean glare.

                “That’s my favorite shounen manga,” Jan said.

                “Mine too," Emery said sincerely.

                Jan said nothing and then Emery turned around. He looked up at the sky and then back over his shoulder at Jan.

                “You know more than anyone, that I’d never hurt you or anyone. But I’m fighting a losing battle," Emery said, choking up at the end.

                “Emery, then just apologize to everyone and then stop this farce," Jan said seriously.

                “If I stopped everything, I’d lose too. But… I don’t know what I’d lose if I stopped. I think long and hard about it sometimes and it never comes to mind. I might lose something that’s not even real," Emery said, his back leaning against the security door.

                “Emery… I’m going to close the door now. Come back when you figure out what you’ll lose," Jan said, she was referring to his dream.

                That’s all you ever talk about when you come over for tea, Jan thought, how cool shounen heroes are and how awesome the world would be if they actually existed. Jan then closed the door on Emery.

                “I don’t know," Emery said to himself.

                He then walked away from the doorstep and walked in the direction of the local bus stop. Behind the door, Jan held the manga that she had taken from Emery.

                “He’d lose his dream of being a hero. I think whatever he does, he’s going to lose it," Jan said to herself.

                “When chasing any dream, you have to experience that chance of losing it to know its true value,” Jan said as she held the manga.

                Jan was shocked at what she was thinking and didn’t know if it made any difference. Though, she didn’t know what to make of the weird awakenings she’s been having or if they were dreams. She decided that the real Emery was nothing like the Emery of her dreams. She could tell he was kinder and nobler, but she still wanted to figure everything out.

                Later that evening, Emery was watching the sunset at the clearing where Adventure Club practiced. He rested his chin on his fists as he watched the sunset. He thought about the meetings he used to have with his group and about how great they were. Everyone actually followed him in his quest to be a hero. Even if they didn’t do anything other than exercise and play sports at school.

                I know what I’m going to do, Emery thought.

                There was a rustle in the bushes and Emery looked over. Orion walked out into the clearing. He stared Emery down.

                “Emery Acer," Orion said.

                “Orion," Emery said boldly.

                “How do you like the powers? Despite the fact that I told you not to use them until Saturday," Orion said with a smile.

                “Yeah they’re thrilling," Emery said sarcastically.

                “You beat up Darrius, that guy was trash compared to you though. He went to seek me out after I destroyed the local gang and asked me how to get power but ended up having no real potential, like most people. Though I never thought that you would have so much potential," Orion said.

                “You knew Darrius?” Emery asked.

                “More than just know him, I gave him his powers. However, I did it a different way. There’s so many ways that one can be unlocked," Orion said slyly.

                Emery said nothing and looked Orion in the eyes.

                “Yes it hurt if that’s what you wanted to know. There’s no way to gain power without pain," Orion said.

                “Yeah," Emery said apathetically.

                “But once you have it, no one can take it away. And you can basically do anything," Orion said with vigor.

                “Yeah," Emery said.

                “Why do you want to be a hero anyway?” Orion said with a laugh.

                “There’s no way to protect anyone in this world. When the weak get strong they will end up preying on those weaker than themselves. It’s a cycle that can’t be escaped and you know all too well," Orion continued, since Emery wasn’t motioning to speak.

                “Join me Emery. As anti-heroes we don’t discriminate between the weak and the strong, we just eliminate entities that are a threat to realizing power. There’s no such thing as heroes in this world. But the term anti-hero corresponds to those who use power to gain power for its own sake. Anything that stands in the way of power will be eliminated, regardless of good or bad intentions. You’ll have full use of power to use for whatever purpose. You’ll no longer have to worry about protecting people because you can save any sniveling bastard at your slightest whim. Just as long as you remain loyal to Dissent," Orion said informatively.

                “Dissent?” Emery asked.

                “Yes that is the master organization to which I am a soldier. If Dissent asked me to kidnap a baby or kill a working family man then I would have to do it. Because Dissent knows who would become a threat to the world’s order, and disposes of them systematically. Dissent is the ultimate anti-hero organization," Orion said.

                “I don’t believe any of that!” Emery exclaimed.

                “We protect the world Emery. We are its true saviors. Join us and you can use your power to ensure that the world continues to operate the way that it does," Orion said.

                “I don’t want to. I'd rather give these powers back just to live a normal life," Emery said.

                “What?! You can’t return powers, this isn’t the Powers Emporium or anything. There’s no receipt to hand the Universe! I can teach you how to control your powers. Right now if you don’t follow my advice they’ll backfire on you," Orion said.

                I have to make sure that he remains under my control, Orion thought, or he’ll try to surpass me or worse.

                “Yeah?” Emery said.

                “You might end up killing one of your friends. Like how you punched that boy," Orion said as he tapped his forehead with his index finger.

                “I don’t think so," Emery said, apathetic to Orion’s finger gesture toward extrasensory knowing.

                “I can make it so," Orion said angrily.

                “I’ll give you two options, one is to experience death. The other is to join my unit, and the larger group its part of. Choose one right now!” Orion yelled.

                “I’m going to live the way I want to," Emery said boldly.

                “I see," Orion said.

                “From this point on, you can join my group whenever you’d like," Orion said with a scowl.

                “No matter what happens from now on. I will always accept you as a friend. Remember that," Orion said loudly as he walked away. His hand was raised as he turned his back to Emery, in a backhanded wave.

                Later that night…

                Emery tried to sleep but he couldn’t. He thought about what Orion said to him. He then closed his eyes and tried to sleep. Within minutes he drifted off from semi-consciousness to a deeper state of sleep.

                “I’m back," A voice could be heard.

                Emery wasn’t sure if he had fallen asleep but was pretty sure that he was still awake.

                Jan however was sleeping until there was a chill in her room. She was sure that Emery was behind the strange occurrences but now she also had an idea about what to do. She was going to try to be more proactive this time when dealing with any strange occurrence.

                “JAN~" A shrill voice spoke.

                “Emery, I don’t know if this will help but I know you can become a hero," Jan said as she sat up.

                “Your faith in my host is useless," The voice spoke.

                The voice seemed to disappear however and the feeling of dread that Jan felt disappeared. The room became warm again and Jan went back to sleep.

                Meanwhile, Emery was dreaming, on the verge of a nightmare.

                “I can’t let this continue Malice, give me my body back!” Emery shouted.

                However, Emery thought he was awake when he was really asleep. He seemed wide awake and was sitting on his bed.

                “I’m just getting started enjoying my control," Malice said evilly.

                “Alright then I’ll fight you here and now!” Emery shouted.

                “How about I just show you something I found," Malice said.

                Malice then appeared before Emery. He looked like a demonic form of Emery. His eyes were completely black and he had claw-like nails. He stood in front of Emery’s bed where Emery was sitting.

                “You’ll realize something tonight," Malice said.

                Emery was paralyzed and couldn’t move a muscle. He just sat there at his bed. Malice walked toward him and quickly clawed Emery’s face. Emery’s face was bleeding where Malice had struck him.

                If I could move, I would punch him, Emery thought.

                Malice then put his hand into Emery’s head. It went in without any resistance.

                “This is what I did to unlock your powers. But what if I did this to kill you?” Malice said.

                How much of this is Malice and how much is Orion, Emery thought with blinding insight.

                Emery was still paralyzed and couldn’t do anything. Malice took his hand out of Emery’s head and pulled out a little person that looked like Jan.

                “I don’t know if this will help, but I know you can become a hero," The little Jan said from Malice’s palm.

                Malice then took one of his claws and ripped the small Jan’s head off. The small Jan collapsed in Malice’s hand. Malice then crumpled her like a paper.

                “That’s what will happen to everyone you know if you oppose me," Malice said cruelly.

                Emery couldn’t move but tears were streaming down his face. Malice then went back into Emery’s head and pulled out something else, it was the manga that Jan had lent Emery. He threw it against the wall and then started to claw at Emery’s face until it was barely recognizable.

                “Emery Acer, I want you to kill someone," Malice commanded.

                Emery looked at Malice with a face that was a mush of mangled skin and muscle. He touched his face and pieces of his face came off in his hands.

                “I will," Emery said strongly.

                “The pain must be too much to bear. I’ve made it as real as I possibly could," Malice said.

                “You really are a good entity," Emery said defiantly, through his mangled face.

                “What?” Malice said.

                Emery touched Malice’s face which looked like his own. He didn’t seem angry, despite that he was feeling intense pain all over.

                “Open your hand," Emery said.

                Malice opened his hand and inside was the little Jan. The little Jan became all of his friends. Then all of his friends became everyone in his school. Then everyone in all of the New continents appeared the world's population. Then the New Earth itself.

                “What?” Malice said, shocked.

                “Now hurry up and kill me," Emery said defiantly.

                Malice then punched Emery in the face, causing his already mangled head to fall off.

                “I’ve done it," Malice said.

                “I, Orion, have killed Emery," Malice said.

                No, you haven’t, Emery thought, I am in control.

                “Get up Emery! Just because you’re suspended doesn’t mean that you’re gonna sleep all day!” Emery’s mom shouted.

                Emery got out of bed and got ready for school. He threw on some clothes, picked up his book bag, and walked out of his room. He looked back at his pillow and couldn’t see any blood.

                Emery then realized that he couldn’t go to school that day because he was suspended. After eating breakfast, he went back to his room and sat at his desk.

                He started to write an apology to Gary. The letter he wrote read like this:

                “Hi Gary. I’m sorry that I punched you the other day. I did not know that your dream to become a hero was greater than mine. I was jealous that you had the desire to be a hero that I had lost. To tell the truth, you’d probably make a better hero than I would've ever been, even if my dream came true. I know I can’t make it up to you but feel free to punch me anytime you see me around. That’s because I’m worse than a villain and you’re my hero...”

                Emery looked at the letter and then folded it up into a small piece of paper.

                What am I doing, Emery thought, I’m not going back to school anyway.

                Emery decided to go to the clearing where he always went. When he got there Orion was sitting in Emery’s usual place. He looked like he was sleeping while sitting.

                “Orion," Emery said loudly.

                Orion opened his eyes, taking no time to wake up.

                “Emery. So have you decided?” Orion said with a smile.

                “I’ll join your group," Emery said.

                I wonder if he killed last night or if he was engulfed in a painful nightmare, Orion thought while smiling, I used all the psychic power I have to give him those visions…

                “Congratulations you’re a member," Orion said confidently.

                “Your first task is to gather your old group and have them meet my group here. We’ll massacre them together," Orion said.

                “Okay," Emery said.

                “Good. As down payment I’ll teach you how to release your powers, your prime, under your own control. I am so confident that you’ll never beat me that it’s good payment. From now on if you say Malice Intensify with the true intention of your prime, you’ll be imbued with its power but not controlled by it. I’ve been limiting or releasing your power via hypnosis but now you can control it on your own," Orion said.

                “As long as you say Intensify when you release your power, it’ll be yours," Orion said.

                “Meet me here tomorrow and I’ll decide whether you’re a loyal member or not," Orion said, he then went back to sleep.

                Emery decided not to confront him any longer but went home to think about a plan of action. He had to decide how he was going to either beat Orion, escape, or die trying; anything could protect his friends. They were the closest friends he ever had, and he wasn’t going to give up or give in. He would protect them at any cost.              Emery had left Orion without saying a word. Orion had fallen asleep sitting down, neither concerned with vulnerability or Emery’s response.

                Emery went back to his room and wasted no time resting. He was tired as if he had gotten no sleep last night due to that excruciating night terror. He was worried because he knew Orion was capable of inflicting such things on people, even if it was to manipulate an inner conflict. Emery opened his cell phone and called Kiran. Emery was holding the phone and it was ringing. Kiran picked up within seconds.

                “Yo, I was trying to sleep," Kiran said.

                “Kiran," Emery said quickly.

                “I knew that was you Emery. We’ve been missing our Adventure club meetings," Kiran said groggily.

                “That’s all you guys have been thinking about me all this time?” Emery asked.

                “You’re still the captain of my club until you get expelled," Kiran said with a laugh.

                “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about," Emery said.

                “First I want to say something," Kiran said.

                “Yeah?” Emery asked.

                “You remember that fight you had with Darrius? You had some type of power up and he did too. Well… It’s nothing," Kiran said.

                “Alright Kiran. Actually I want to disband our group. I’m going to be moving away so there won’t be anymore meetings. Don’t look for me," Emery said seriously.

                “Do you mind if I tell everyone else?” Kiran asked.

                “Yeah that would make it easier," Emery said.

                “Alright leave the rest to me! This might sound funny but I trust you with my life these days. You really helped me after I got kicked off the boxing team. Thanks man," Kiran said.

                “Don’t worry about it Kiran," Emery said, wondering why Kiran was being uncharacteristically sincere.

                “Later," Emery finished.

                Emery hung up the phone. He then hung his head and started crying. He leaned his head on his folded arms.

                “I’m going… to face them alone even it kills me," Emery said to himself as he cried.

                Kiran hung up his cell phone and looked at it. He had a worried look on his face. He couldn’t help but wonder if what was going on with Emery.

                “I think I might have an idea about what’s going on…” Kiran said to himself.

                You’re doing the right thing Kiran, he thought to himself. Though, he usually never thought about himself in the third person.

                Kiran opened his cell phone and dialed a number. As he dialed the number, Ken’s name appeared as the phone automatically found his entry. Kiran pressed the send button and waited through the rings.

                “Did you hear that Emery was moving? I think we should all call Emery and cheer him up! He’d do the same thing for us!” Kiran nearly shouted into the phone.

                “He’s not moving," Ken said with a serious voice.

                “This is what we’re going to do," Ken continued.

                Kiran listened into the phone, as Ken explained his theory relating to Emery and recent events.

                The sky over Orion was pitch black but illuminated with the light of countless stars, as the night was very clear. Orion was snoring as he sat, though his head wasn't hanging down. It was safe to say that he was fast asleep.

                A man materialized in front of Orion. He had dark five o'clock shadow and his black hair was cut neither long or short. He wore a black form-fitting jacket emblazoned with a symbol resembling both a skull and an ankh, along with a black scarf and dirt colored tactical pants. His eyes were intense as he gazed at Orion. He kept both hands in his pockets at first but took out one hand and placed it on Orion's shoulder.

                "Orion," The man said in a collected tone.

                Orion was still sleeping and wasn't roused by the man calling out to him. The man looked somewhat annoyed but he wasn't mad.

                "Orion!" The main said again, this time sternly.

                Orion opened his eyes quickly, took the man's hand off his shoulder, and doubled back. Orion stumbled backwards and regained his footing. As he took a look at the man he was visibly shocked.

                "Y-You are...!!" Orion exclaimed.

                "You see, I could have killed you already Orion. You sleep too soundly," The man said.

                "You, you're the second in command, why are you here?" Orion asked.

                I've never actually met anyone from the main board of Dissent before, Orion thought.

                "That is merely my position. But yes, I am the Dissent Overlord known as Soul Crusher, one of the Seven Elites of the Universe. Since you and your group have recently become Dissent recruits, we have been watching you closely. We do have a problem however, with you activating the primal power of a certain high school boy," Soul Crusher said informatively.

                "I didn't know how that was going to work out. He should've been a dud or something. What does it matter, how I use my own power? I've earned it," Orion said bluntly.

                "You see, there are a few flaws with your thinking Orion. You are not allowed to activate another, unless they've already joined Dissent formally. Also, he's not a 'dud'. For some reason I can sense his power, and that means that he's not weak. The last flaw you had is that you think we have given you free reign over your power, which is your most crucial flaw," Soul Crusher said, somewhat sternly at the end.

                "Look, I've been forced to devote my life to Dissent..." Orion said angrily.

                "And that means that you must be loyal to us. The underlings in Casualty's domain have been imbued with a lot of power, much more than we predicted. You activating that young boy is an amazing feat," Soul Crusher said while rubbing his five o'clock shadow.

                "He will join Dissent or I'll kill him," Orion said seriously.

                "If you can't control him, you better kill him. Because if you don't we'll have to and if we have to do that, we will also take care of you. If the one who is in charge becomes involved with this issue, you'll face a fate worse than death itself," Soul Crusher said.

                A wave of terror came over Orion, causing him to smile excitedly.   

                "So this is a responsibility that you are giving me personally?! I won't fail!" Orion exclaimed.

                Soul Crusher started to rub his five o'clock shadow again and gazed at Orion listlessly.

                "Orion, your situation is not that bad right now, with the opportunity I'm giving you. However, just know that we can make your 'dissent' steep," Soul Crusher said nonchalantly.

                "Yes!" Orion exclaimed.

                Before Orion had finished speaking, Soul Crusher had dematerialized and disappeared, into thin air. Leaving Orion alone in the night. However, his solitude was once again interrupted.

                A young girl walked out into the clearing with a very serious look on her face as she gazed at Orion. She was wearing a white tank top, black suspenders, and parachute pants despite the chilly weather. She continued to stare at Orion from afar.

                "You saw that Persephone?" Orion asked with a friendly tone.

                "I was going to warn you when he put his hand on you but I couldn't speak. It was like I was paralyzed," Persephone said grimly.

                "Then you know what we have to do tomorrow," Orion said seriously.

                Persephone walked toward Orion and now was right under his nose. She then looked up at him, almost tenderly.

                "But why is he so caught up about that one kid you baptized? Even though you activated my power too?" Persephone asked while looking up at Orion.

                "I don't know," Orion said.

                "Most of us, I've recruited on my own. Only two were also subjects at Casualty's facility," Orion continued to say.

"Well don't worry Orion. We can handle some kid," Persephone said with a sharp toothed smile.

                Orion said nothing and pulled Persephone closer to him.

Emery was sitting at his desk with a pen in his hand. He leaned back in his chair, supported only by the rear legs. On the paper he had already written: Farewell To the Adventure Club.

                “Other than the title I don’t know what to write," Emery said with frustration.

                “This is so annoying," Emery said to himself.

                I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do when I leave here next, either I’ll die or I’ll forsake everything, Emery thought.

                Emery turned on the TV and watched the news. On the TV a man was accepting an award at Limit City Hall.

                “Richard Lawrence has received the key to Limit City Hall for his generous donations to the municipal services department of Limit City. Lawrence, who serves on the President’s advisory team and owns fifteen various fortune 500 companies, described receiving the award as one of the biggest honors in his life," The newscaster said as footage of the man receiving the award was playing.

                Emery quickly turned off the TV.

                *RIIIING RIIIING*

                Emery answered the phone.

                “Hello," Emery said.

                “Yo," Ken said cheerfully.

                “Ken it’s you. So did you hear from Kiran?” Emery said.

                “Yeah… but I don’t know what your reasons are," Ken said.

                Emery said nothing and neither party had spoke.

                “You have to tell me one thing first. How did you cut those bricks when we were training?” Ken asked.

                “I cut bricks?” Emery asked, genuinely surprised.

                “Yes when you went back inside I separated them cleanly and put them back so you wouldn’t notice," Ken said.

                “All I did was focus on opposing the negativity inside me and on my dream of becoming a hero," Emery said.

                “Opposing your negativity?” Ken asked.

                “Something’s different with me. I kinda have an alter ego that I can’t believe is a part of me," Emery said.

                “I see," Ken said.

                Emery paused and looked down at the letter he was writing.

                “No matter how dark things look don’t give up on your dream. Sometimes a push from an enemy can work in your favor. That’s how Tao works," Ken said.

                “I’ll try," Emery said.

                “I want you to grasp your dream Emery," Ken said.

                “I’ll always think about the things you taught me wherever I go," Emery said.

                “The same here," Ken said.

                “Bye," Emery said, before pressing the exit button.

                “I guess I’ll figure out something to write," Emery said as he scratched top of his head.

                Emery sat back down at his desk and tried to write more of his farewell to the Adventure Club.

                *RIIIING RIIIING*

                Emery again picked up his cell phone and opened it.

                “Hiya!” Kamie exclaimed.

                “Hi Kamie," Emery said.

                “How’s that suspension going?” Kamie asked naively.

                “It’s going," Emery said.

                “I know you’re still thinking about how to make things better. You won’t get anywhere if you run away from your problems Emery," Kamie said.

                “I’m going to make things right," Emery said, knowing that Kamie was the farthest from understanding everything.

                “I still remember when you called out to me in the hallway. Your voice was too loud to be cool. You were desperate for someone to hear you. Not just the me walking away but the me that was walking into loneliness. And when I turned around you didn’t second guess anything. It’s my turn Emery, I can tell that you’re hurting. Don’t give in, you can make your dream reality," Kamie said.

                Emery said nothing.

                “Even an airhead can say something good once in a while," Kamie said.

                “You’re not…” Emery said.

                “I’ll see you later kid! I don’t know how much later though," Kamie said.

                “Later," Emery said.

                Emery then hung up the phone. I’m really messed up, for promising all of that when everyone’s trying to help me believe in my own dream, Emery thought.

                Emery sat back down at his desk and continued to write the farewell letter to the Adventure Club. He had written about two or three lines before the phone rung again.

                “Hello," Emery said into his cell phone.

                “What’s up cutie?” Rina said in a sarcastic tone.

                “Rina…” Emery said bluntly.

                “Yeah were you expecting Annie," Rina said.

                “I’m not in the mood," Emery replied apathetically.

                “Darn.

                “What will help you out of your depression?” Rina asked.

                “Huh?” Emery asked,

                “You’re not as edgy as you usually are. You would have already said something witty or cool. You never just say ‘huh’,” Rina said with unusually positive emotion.

                “Nothing gets past you," Emery said, almost smiling.

                “I’m just gonna say one thing. You got me to join and want to be a hero. I wanted to be useful to the club and have friends. If you were screwing around, I’ll kick your ass myself. You better get yourself together and whether you like it or not you better try to be a hero, to conform to your dream. Or I’ll conform your face to my foot," Rina said.

                “Nice pep talk," Emery said sarcastically.

                “I don’t care who or what you’re up against," Rina said, her voice shaking.

                “I can’t even…” Rina said, about to cry.

                “You can always call me another time," Emery said, despite not knowing whether it would be a lie.

                “…can’t even be useful..." Rina said.

                Rina looked at the phone and saw that the call was disconnected. Apparently Emery had hung up before she could say something that would actually show her sincerity for once.

                Before Emery could start writing anything down his phone was already ringing again.

                “Hello," Emery said.

                “Hey what’s up? Derek said jovially.

                “Oh it’s you," Emery said, trying to egg Derek on.

                “Yeah it’s me. What’s that supposed to mean?” Derek asked, trying to sound offended.

                “Just that I already know you have nothing important to say," Emery said.

                If I distance myself from Derek, he’ll want to become a better person than I was. He might even surpass me, Emery thought.

                “Is that some kind of dumb joke? You’re not the Emery I know," Derek said in an annoyed voice.

                “I’m whatever I want to be but do you know what you are?” Emery asked.

                “A hero," Derek said quickly.

                “What’d you say?” Emery asked loudly.

                “I’m a hero. I know what you’re going to say. You were going to call me a loser, some small short guy that can never defend himself," Derek said.

                Emery said nothing, hoping that Derek would get angrier.

                “But you’re the one who made me into a hero. It would be too painful if I let you talk," Derek said.

                “If you have nothing more to say..." Emery began.

                “We all have times when we feel like we can’t be who we want to be. And for me there were so many of those times. When I’d lick a bully’s shoe to get out of getting punched or crying in a bathroom stall. Because I couldn’t be more than a loser," Derek said, his voice was shaking.

                Emery thought about the dark future that was going to await him, if he was going to protect his friends from Orion his life may end up worse than what Derek was describing to him. Emery started to cry, but tried his best to remain silent.

                “Those were the times that defined who I was. I chose to the easy way out all the time because I thought I had no choice but… There was some crazy kid who took over the literature club and made an adventure club. He even saved me from getting beat up in high school, my new start. But he wasn’t you Emery. You said I could be a hero and I believed you because you were my hero," Derek said, now more confidently.

                Emery put his hand to his face.

                “I don’t think you should call me a hero anymore but you can do whatever you want from now on," Emery said coldly.

                “Then…” Derek said.

                “I’ll fight you myself!” Derek shouted angrily.

                “I’d rather be beaten up by someone like you than any bully. If you’re going to change for the worse I know something will happen that will change you back. And when you’re a hero again, I’d have the bruises to prove that I held my own against a hero," Derek said with a blustering voice.

                Emery hung up the phone abruptly.

                Maybe things would have been better off if I never met Orion and he never unlocked my powers, Emery thought, if all he wanted was to destroy everything and be an anti-hero.

                Emery continued to write the farewell letter and minutes later his phone rung again.

                “Hello," Emery said softly.

                “What’s up man?” Grey said.

                “What’s up Grey?” Emery said, quickly regaining his composure.

                “Nothin' much," Grey said.

                “I heard about everything," Grey continued.

                “Right now things don’t seem like fun. I might have to quit adventure club," Grey said.

                Emery said nothing.

                “Is what I’d like to say but I wouldn’t be much of a hero if I said that. I’m already a hero in my own way. I can outrun anyone, I'm like the fastest person alive!" Grey said.

                “And I’ve been talking to Derek and all I have to say is that if you go evil on us then you’ll have to catch me before you beat him up. Or I’ll call you a loser for the rest of your life. If you have any pride left then try and catch up to me," Grey said.

                Grey hung up on Emery.

                Whatever, Emery thought.

                Though he was somewhat happy that Grey had so much pride, Emery knew that Grey would be fine, even if Emery had been murdered, because Grey would push himself even further. Grey might even try to be the Adventure Club leader, if Kiran quit. Emery thought about all possible alternatives that could happen should he die fighting Orion.

                I can’t write anymore, Emery thought.

                Emery heard his phone ringing.

                “I’m not even going to answer," Emery said covering his head.

                Emery then looked at the phone and saw that Jan’s name was on the display. He picked up the phone and opened it.

                “Who’s it?” Emery said, trying to annoy Jan.

                “It’s Jan," Jan said seriously.

                “So what do you want to tell me?” Emery asked quickly.

                “You were stupid for punching that freshman. You are weak for giving up on your dream. You are small for not trying to pick up the pieces," Jan said in her usual stoic voice.

                “Is that all Jan?” Emery said.

                Emery knew that Jan would always be smarter than him and didn’t know which way this conversation would go if he tried to force his self-pity on her. He also didn’t want to end up telling her the whole truth in fear that it would put her in danger.

                “I do not know why you are even moving this Saturday. Your parents love Byron Limit. This is an excuse for something else and if you make me lose hope in you I will never forgive you," Jan said.

                “What if you did?” Emery asked.

                “What would you do?” Emery asked again, now choking up.

                “I don’t know," Jan said, becoming slightly emotional.

                Jan was silent for a moment.

                “I’d join you, wherever you go," Jan said sincerely with uncharacteristic kindness.

                This response surprised Emery because he always thought that Jan was too intellectual to have an emotional side.

                “Join me? Is that because you don’t want to get hurt?” Emery said.

                “I-It’s not that," Jan said quickly.

                “What if I were to hurt you?” Emery asked.

                “You’d never hurt me Emery," Jan said with a laugh.

                “I know you wouldn’t hurt me," Jan continued.

                “You don’t know anything about the situation Jan," Emery responded.

                “I know more about you than you think," Jan said.

                There’s no way she’s serious, Emery thought.

                “Like that you feel ashamed because you never went out with me, but you try to make up for it whenever you’d come over for tea. That you never once asked me out on a date because you didn’t want to change our friendship and you value me more as a confidante to your manga hobby. That you’re hiding a vicious alter-ego that threatens to destroy you and everyone you care about. Even about that tall blonde guy that holds power over you like fish bait. I dreamed about them all over the course of the past few months, before you even started Adventure Club,” Jan said with emotion.

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about," Emery said, pretending that she was wrong. However, Emery was trying his best to hide any emotion and the fact that she might be correct.

                “But there’s something in you that can’t be defeated at any time or place," Jan said strongly.

                “Now you lost me," Emery said.

                “I’m sure everything will be okay,” Jan said, trying to assure Emery.

                “Bye Emery," Jan said.

                “Later," Emery said, and then hung up the phone.

                Emery got up from his desk and took off his clothes to got ready to take a shower. Emery put a towel around his naked waist. He looked back at his phone for a moment.

                *Knock knock*

                That’s probably Mom, Emery thought.

                “I’m changing," Emery said loudly.

                The door opened abruptly revealing Annie stood in the doorway. She blushed bright red after looking at Emery and pointed at Emery’s face.

                “Put your clothes on Emery!” Annie commanded.

                Emery unfastened his towel without thinking and was interrupted.

                “NOT IN FRONT OF ME, IDIOT!!” Annie shouted.

                Annie stepped back and slammed the room door.

                “... I’ll wait out here," Annie said finally.

                A few minutes later, Emery opened the door. He was wearing the same clothes he had on when he was writing the letter.

                “How’d you get in my house," Emery said, trying to sound emotionless. He was trying to act as detached as possible, and was determined to hide the true situation from Annie.

                “Oh I told your mom I’m one of your friends, duh," Annie said cheerfully.

                “Oh," Emery said.

                “I’m not one of your friends?” Annie said, walking closer to Emery.

                It’s harder to actually see someone and talk to them, Emery thought as Annie was right under his chin.

                “Everyone’s been worried about you," Annie said, looking up at Emery with a worried look and her hand on her waist.

                “Yeah. But why would you actually visit me?” Emery asked.

                “Because I really care about you," Annie said.

                “You’re the first person I met at school," Annie continued.

                “I didn’t think you’d want to see me after you saw my true self. A hateful, impulsive…” Emery said.

                “Shut up Emery," Annie said quietly.

                “My true self is fighting for the sake of fighting," Emery said angrily.

                Just like Orion said, an anti-hero, Emery thought.

                “I know that’s not true," Annie said.

                “It is," Emery said.

                “I’m mad at you because you don’t tell anybody what’s going on,” Annie said.

                “You think you have to go through all these things alone. Whatever is really getting at you is probably bigger than we all understand but you have to trust us, like we trusted you," Annie said.

                Emery said nothing and stepped backwards to make sure that he had already put that letter in his desk drawer.

                “Trusting you is deeper than what I saw," Annie said, holding back tears.

                “If that’s what you think then trust me when I say go back home and stay there all day tomorrow," Emery said seriously.

                “What are you trying to say?” Annie asked.

                “You can’t trust someone who can’t even stay true to their dreams even if it's a stupid pipe dream," Emery said.

                “But it’s not a pipe dream. You always have someone to rely on. When you have people to rely on any dream can come true no matter how small or big," Annie said.

                “I care about you. That’s why asking you to leave," Emery said.

                Emery was starting to break down, as Annie was making him realize something that he hadn’t thought about seriously. It was the conviction that he didn’t want to lose to Orion or become one of Orion’s Dissent members, and that he also didn’t want to be killed by someone obviously stronger than he was.

                “I’ll leave when I get ready to. You can’t go from hero to zero in just a day or two. You’re a hero Emery. You’re always talking about being a hero but you never once said that you were one. That’s how it should be but I’m here to tell you that you are a hero," Annie said.

                Emery’s eyes were wide open in a state of disbelief. Those were the words he always wanted to hear but never heard.

                “It’s too dangerous…” Emery uttered.

                Emery then turned around and was also holding back tears.

                “And when you’re ready I’ll be the heroine," Annie said.

                She approached Emery and hugged him from behind. Emery looked down at his desk. After a moment, Annie turned around and walked out of the door. However, she turned back around.

                “No matter how dark things are the world needs heroes," Annie said with a wink.

                “Annie!” Emery yelled. He remembered something about those words.

                Emery turned back around, but Annie wasn’t there anymore. She was already down the stairs and saying goodbye to Emery’s mom. Emery heard the front door close from upstairs.

                “I want to live," Emery said to himself.

                Emery picked up his cell phone and called Kiran. Emery waited almost a minute, until Kiran picked up the phone.

                “What’s up?” Kiran said.

                “Kiran," Emery said.

                “You feeling better?” Kiran asked in an all-knowing voice.

                “Yeah," Emery said.

                “Good that’s my captain," Kiran said.

                “I have to tell you something," Emery said.

                “Alright," Kiran replied.

                “I’m not really moving. I’m going to take on Orion, that guy that stopped us the other day. He probably has a trick up his sleeve, but I’m not scared," Emery said boldly.

                Emery’s face was both angry and determined.

                “What is it about this Orion guy that got you like this," Kiran said, now annoyed.

                “He’s the one that unlocked my powers and put me under hypnosis. I have to face him to regain myself," Emery said.

                “I think I get it," Kiran said.

                “So whatever happens do not come near the forest tomorrow. Stay as far away as you can," Emery said.

                “Are you saying that as our captain, or as Emery Acer?” Kiran asked.

                “I don’t know, it doesn't matter. Whatever happens I want you to lead the club in the future," Emery said.

                “What are you talking about?” Kiran asked, like Emery was crazy. He was not about to lead Emery’s club.

                “As long as you guys are safe the world can get as dark as it can for me," Emery said darkly.

                “I think I understand completely now,” Kiran said confidently.

                “Good," Emery said.

                “Until next time kid," Kiran said.

                “Bye Kiran," Emery said.

                Emery hung up the phone.

                “I guess I’ll see you soon then," Kiran said, while punching the wall in front of him.

                Kiran then picked up his cell phone again and dialed yet another number, Ken’s number. This time, he would not call anyone else. Kiran knew they couldn’t fight anyone if they had to. However, as Annie walked back to her house, she used her cell phone to text as many Adventure Club members as she could.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.1K 571 17
After escaping from Manhattan Island from the massive nuclear explosion, Alex Mercer is done with his job and that is to consume all the infected acr...
24.1K 400 46
One word. Chaos. That's all Nico Valore had brought to my life since the moment I met him. Despite all the pain and heartache, if you asked me to do...
430 2 100
In an era of never ending war between Samurai and Ninja, a peace agreement is scheduled to occur the following day between its leaders. The Samurai S...
206 38 12
When struggling teenage artist Ella Murphy accidentally draws a mystical symbol in the margins of her book, she is transported to a different world f...