Ryota Echizen

By JadeNight14

We've all heard of Ryoma and Ryoga Echizen's adventures, but we haven't heard about their youngest brother. A... More

Character Background
First Day of School
Akashi Yunoto
Prince
Who's Atobe?
Meeting the King
Home Sweet Home
Photography Club
Trouble on the Tennis Courts
What the Hell Just Happened?
Just Call Me Ryota
Ryota Meets Segaiku: Part 1
Ryota Meets Segaiku Part 2
There's Two of You?
Ryoma, Meet Yunoto
Meeting Oyaji
Goodnight and Sweet Dreams
Onii-chan's Got A Crush~
School Festival: School Spirit and Maid Cafe's
School Festival: Host Club
School Festival: Reveal
Join the Team
Nurse Ryoma
Tryouts
A Day In
My Teamates Are My Stalkers
It's a Date
Why? Because I'm Bored!
Ryoma's Date
Pursuing Ryota and Unexpected Guests
Ryoga Returns
The Challenge
Ryoga Vs Atobe
No More Hot Chocolate For Me
Practice Match
The Invitation and The Dinner Date
What Are Friends For
Quitting
Won't Ever Let You Go
Saying Goodbye
America-Reveal
America-Part 2
I Promise
Epilogue

Hospital-Part 1

2.7K 76 10
By JadeNight14

Ryoma's POV

Beep...Beep....Beep....

My face is buried in my hands, my body hunched forward to rest my elbows on my knees. I don't know how long I've been in this position, but I know that the numbing in my body hints that it's been quite some time.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

I'm not the only one here, Ryoga was here a while ago, but he went back to the hotel to grab some items for us. I could tell it was eating him up to leave, the look of hesitation on his face the entire. But it was better if he left and rested a bit, got some space. Lord knows we both needed it.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

Sighing to myself, I lift my head up and wince at the bright florescent light from the ceilings. The last time I checked, the lights were off while the curtains were open to let in the sun. A nurse probably came by and closed them after checking on Ryota. I don't even notice them anymore. Squinting a bit, I let my eyes adjust until the picture in front of me clears up. Only to break my heart.

In front of me is my littler brother, my sweet Ryota, laying motionless in the hospital bed. His pale complexion does nothing to ease my nerves, neither do the wires and monitors connected to him. Bandages are wrapped around his forehead, his cheeks marred with small scratches that surround the oxygen mask placed over his mouth. A cast is secured on his left arm, the doctor claims it's broken and will heal in a few months, but a scar will still be there as a memory.

Despite his battered state, I knew that something else had to have happened to him. Ryoga had been talking with the doctor after the surgery, I was in the room with Ryota while they were outside, but I could tell by the look on my brother's face that the news wasn't good. After the doctor left him, Ryoga stood out in the hallway with his head hanging, his shoulders slump in defeat. It wasn't until that he came in that I finally understood the gravity of the situation.

Flashback

Walking back into the room, Ryoga avoided eye contact from me, choosing to stare at Ryota with remorse. Sitting down in the chair on the other side of Ryota's bed, he continues to stare at him. Anxiety eats me up, unable to take it anymore, I open my mouth to ask what happened when he beats me to it.

"The doctor..." He gulps and closes his eyes. "He...He said that Ryota would live, and that he would heal in time...." I notice his hands start to tremble as he grips onto his bloodied shirt. "But he also said that....that his legs are partially paralyzed..." At the shocked look on my face, he winces and continues. "He says that there's a chance that Ryota...Won't be able to walk again."

Sitting in stunned silence, something wet slides down my cheek. I know I'm crying, but I can't seem to make myself move at the moment. Getting up, Ryoga walks to me and kneels before me, hugging me tightly. Unable to help myself, I let my emotions come out as I break down sobbing for my brother.

Present

We had been in this room for two days. Two days of waiting for our little brother to wake up, for us to tell him how much we love him, to tell him that we would support him no matter what. It's hard to believe that two days ago we would never had thought this would have happened. That stupid driver on his phone wasn't paying attention to the road. The light had turned red, but he had kept going. Straight into the side of our car as we were driving down the street. Where that idiot driver is, I could care less, last time I heard he was in the custody of the police, but I knew that this wouldn't stop him from doing it again.

Buzz Buzz....Buzz Buzz...

Looking down, I reach into my pocket and grab my phone. After glancing at who was calling, I answer it.

"Hello?"

"Ryoma, how's it going over there?" Oyaji asked, concern laced in his voice.

Sighing, I lean back in the rickety chair and stare at the far wall. "It's alright, nothing new came up. Ryota is still asleep though."

Hearing him sigh on the other side of the phone, I can tell that it's killing him to not be here. "Okay, your mother and I searched for flights to America, but they're all booked, something about an event taking place there."

"Isn't there anything you can do? Call in a favor or something?" I asked.

"I wish, but even the private airlines are booked. We'll have to stay here while you guys are watching Ryota."

Sighing, I nod. "Alright. We'll keep you updated if something comes up." Saying goodbye, I hang up and let my head roll back onto the chair. I still needed to call Akashi and inform him on what was going on, but how could I tell him the bad news.

Shaking my head, I lift my head and stare at Ryota with sad eyes. "This is probably going to be the hardest thing I'll have to do, Ryota....wish me luck." I whisper quietly. Picking my phone up again, I lift it up and dial Akashi's number.

Akashi's POV

Rolling my eyes, I sigh at the scene in front of me. I'm currently in the library with Atobe, oddly enough, currently discussing ways of getting in contact with Ryota. It was going well, no one had come up to us or distracted us, but that ended when some stupid girls decided to go up to Atobe and "flirt" with him. Ugh, it was so sad to see them flaunting themselves at a guy who had the hots for another guy, but what can you do?

"Oh Atobe!" One girl squealed, causing me to flinch at the high pitched screech. "You're so strong, how is that you maintain such a masculine physic?"

Gagging slightly at the question, I watch as the other two girls squealed as well. 'How do they consider this flirting?' Deciding to end this, I clear my throat and raise an eyebrow at the girls. "Ladies, if you don't mind, we do have some business to attend to."

Glaring at me, one of the girls steps foreward and crosses her arms. "Excuse me? No need to be so rude." Turning back to Atobe, she sighs dreamily while fluttering her eyebrows. "Besides, it's up to Atobe if he wants us to leave."

Clearing his throat, Atobe and nods and gestures to me. "Actually, I have to agree with Yunoto. We do need to get going." With that, he freed himself from their grasp and walked to my side. Smirking in amusement at the girls frustrated looks, I watch as they leave the library.Turning to Atobe, I open my mouth for my phone to go off. Panicking at the look the elderly librarian was giving me, I search through my pockets hurriedly. Answering it, I whisper over the phone quietly, hoping to not piss off the librarian anymore than I already have.

"Hello?" I whisper, not knowing who was on the other end of the line.

"Akashi? Why are you whispering?"

Sighing, I smile a bit at Ryoma's voice. "Sorry, I'm at the library with Atobe right now." Glancing up, I make sure that the librarian isn't focused on me anymore. "What's up? Isn't it, like, one in the morning in America right now?" He stays quiet on the other line for a bit and during this time I can hear the faint noise of beeping in the background. "Ryoma? What's that beeping in the background?"

A sudden sob comes through the phone and I start to grow worried. "Ryoma?" Taking a seat at the table, I ignore Atobe's questioning look. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"A-Akashi....Ryota's in the hospital...." He whispers hoarsely.

"..." Sitting there in silence, I let myself take in the information, unable to comprehend what was just spoken.

"Akashi?....Akashi? Are you there?"

Something wet slides down my cheek, lifting my hand up, I know it's my tears. Staring at the floor with unfocused eyes, the sound of Ryoma's voice begins to fade in the background. I barely register the fact that black shoes make its way in my vision and the phone being tugged out of my grasp gently. As I sit there in silence, Atobe's voice enters the muddled sounds processing in the ears, my heartbeat pounding in my head. My best friend, someone who I consider a brother....is in a hospital somewhere in America, who could have possibly died. I don't know how long I sat there, but I know that Atobe must have finished up the conversation with Ryoma when he squats down in front of me.

"Yunoto..." He whispers gently, holding onto my clenched hands and gently prying them open. Looking down, I notice that my hands are deathly white and shaking from the amount of force I was squeezing my fists. "Yunoto?" Looking up, I'm shocked to see tears gathering in Atobe's eyes. "Ryoma told me to tell you that everything is fine, Ryota is just....just sleeping right now. " Sniffling, I nod and try to continue to listen. "Now, I just finished talking to my butler, he's currently arranging my families private jet. We're going to stop by Ryota's house and pick up his parents, you can call them on the way there. Then we're going to go and make sure that when Ryota.....when Ryota wakes up he's surrounded by his friends and family...alright?"

Sniffling, I nod and pull a hand away gently to wipe away my tears. "O-okay....H-how are you?"

Giving me a weak grin, he shrugs while standing up. "Well.....I could be better." Grabbing our bags off the floor, he holds a hand out to me while shouldering both our bags on his back. "Come on, lets go."

Nodding my head, I grasp his hand and he pulls me up. Wrapping a supportive arm around my arms, Atobe leads the way to his limo. Getting in, the only thing running through my mind is 'Why him?' Ryota didn't deserve this, he didn't need this in his life. My best friend is currently in a hospital right now. Glancing up, I check on Atobe to see him sitting in his seat staring out the window, his eyes glazed over as if he's deep in thought. Saddened, I look away and clench onto my shirt until my knuckles turn white. 'This shouldn't have happened, this must be killing Atobe.'

I snap out of my thoughts when my phone is held in front of me, grasping onto it, I look up to see Atobe nodding his head to it. "Why don't you inform Echizen's parents that we're on our way."

Staring at him, I feel as if I'm floating in water as I nod. Dialing the memorized number, I wait until someone answers.

"Hello?"

"Nanjiro, it's Akashi." My voice sounds like I haven't spoken in weeks.

"Akashi? I'm sorry, I'm kind of busy right now, I'm trying to find an available flight to America." He responds, I can tell that he's already heard of the news due his gloomy tone.

"That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about. I just got a call from Ryoma about Ryota....I'm with Atobe right now and he arranged for a private jet to take us to America. We're on our way to pick you up right now." I explain. 'Wait....Does Nanjiro know what really happened?'

"....Atobe?" Despite his depressed tone, I can tell he's pissed off at Atobe's name.

Wincing, I glance at Atobe to see if he noticed. Making sure he's distracted by the passing scenery, I lean away from him and whisper over the phone. "Listen Nanjiro, everything you know is wrong. I'll explain later, but what you need to know is that Atobe never meant anything that he said to Ryota...." Hesitating, I decide to push on. "In fact, I would go as far as to say that he loves your son dearly and I can tell it's killing him right now about Ryota."

It's silent on the other line when a sigh is heard. "Alright.....I'll trust your decision. We'll start packing now, I'll see you two soon."

Sighing in relief, I nod. "See you." Hanging up and I turn to Atobe and see him still look out the window in pain.

'We better get there soon. For both Ryota and Atobe....'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 146 13
It's winter break and Echizen has to spend a week with Rikkaidai, Seigaku and his brother. When he blanks out during practice, he sees a lady in a bl...
325K 7K 63
Everyone was shocked to see Ryoma Echizen hugging a girl they saw for the first time. The senpais are excited to hear who she is and how did she beco...
436K 8.7K 59
After being in rehab for 3 years, Echizen Rika is finally back. She then enrolled in Seigaku where her little brother is. She met the tennis boys c...
3.4K 260 21
Echizen Ryoma and Shinomiya Kourin... Two different people suddenly met when an enemy of a gruesome past tried to take them down for good. And yet th...