The Fear (The Walking Dead...

By jinx1996

Kat is the eldest daughter of Hershel and the rock of the Greene family. Through thick and thin she has kept... More

Katherine Greene
The Fear
Prologue - Never Again
Chapter 1 - A Hunting Accident
Chapter 2 - Sacrificed
Chapter 3 - Gravestone Pyramid
Chapter 4 - Cherokee Rose
Chapter 5 - F-100
Chapter 6 - Our Secret
Chapter 7 - Only A Matter Of Time
Chapter 8 - Working Things Out
Chapter 9 - Echoes
Chapter 10 - Stay With Her
Chapter 11 - You're Afraid
Chapter 12 - Finding Hope
Chapter 13 - Ticking Time Bomb
Chapter 14 - Distractions
Chapter 16 - Judge and Jury
Chapter 17 - Executioner
Chapter 18 - Walking In Tandem
Chapter 19 - Plague Of The Dead
Chapter 20 - Regroup
Chapter 21 - Not A Democracy
Hello
Chapter 22 - Place To Place
Chapter 23 - Picking Them Off
Planning
Chapter 24 - Safer
Daryl Dixon... Death?
Chapter 25 - A Calf Named Abbey
Chapter 26 - Going To Be Fine
Chapter 27 - Should Be Interesting
Chapter 28 - Minced
Future
Chapter 29 - Split Second
Chapter 30 - Three
Chapter 31 - Lil' Ass-Kicker
Chapter 32 - Beyond The Fences
Chapter 33 - It's Not That Easy
Chapter 34 - Nothing Of Consequence
Chapter 34 - Liars, Thugs, and Cowards
Chapter 35 - Gone
Chapter 36 - Retaliation
Chapter 37 - Hold On
Chapter 38 - Warm Shadow
Help
Chapter 39 - Yes
Chapter 40 - Be Careful
Chapter 41 - The Stand
Chapter 42 - Big Spot
Chapter 43 - Raining Down
Chapter 44 - Contaminated
Chapter 45 - Fever
Chapter 46 - Elderberries
Jesus Saviours Negan and more
Chapter 47 - The Symptoms
Chapter 48 - Shock and Fear
Chapter 49 - Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 50 - Liar
Chapter 51 - Exit
Chapter 52 - We Go Left
Beta and Other Things
Chapter 53 - Home
Chapter 54 - Have Faith
Chapter 55 - Camps
Chapter 56 - Polaroids
Chapter 57 - Train Tracks
Chapter 58 - Vicious Creatures
Chapter 59 - Just Gone
Chapter 60 - Escape
Chapter 61 - Not Again
Chapter 62 - Peace
Chapter 63 - Missing
Chapter 64 - Amazing Grace
Season 9/10
Chapter 65 - Always Moving
Chapter 66 - Rust and Bone
Chapter 67 - Unluckiest of Lucky Charms
Chapter 68 - There
Chapter 69 - Alexandria
Chapter 70 - Shower
Chapter 71 - Have A Beer
Chapter 72 - Have Another Beer
Chapter 73 - Jump
Chapter 74 - Control Who Lives Here
Chapter 75 - This Is Them
Chapter 76 - What's Your Fear?
Cover Change
Chapter 77 - Too Many
Chapter 78 - And Then They Came
Chapter 79 - Someday It Will Be Useful
Chapter 80 - An Eye for an...?

Chapter 15 - Broken

15.7K 417 76
By jinx1996

"So... I spoke to Maggie." Beth stated as we sat on her bed, cross-legged, eating our breakfast. She was doing much better and preferred to ignore the whole situation all together, which everyone seemed okay with, so long as she had, as Andrea would put it, "gotten it out of her system."

"And...?" I asked, wondering what she was getting at.

"I heard that you didn't sleep at the house the other night." She explained with a slight smirk.

I placed my fork down on my plate before making eye contact. "Does everyone know?" I questioned.

Beth shrugged as she took another bite of her scrambled eggs. "Just me and Maggie that I know of."

"Patricia knows as well, or has suspicions." I muttered. "Please, just don't tell dad. We don't need him shooting anyone."

"He didn't shoot Glenn or Jimmy." Beth stated.

"Yes, but Jimmy is a teenager and Glenn is... kind of like a kitten. And three for three might be the last straw... also it was just one night. Nothing to get hyped up about."

"Shawn would have kicked his ass regardless." Beth stated causing me to smile a little. "Remember when he gave Jimmy the big brother speech?"

I chuckled at the thought, "Hey, I have something for you." I stated, lifting my hands up and taking the chain off from around my neck. "I want you to have it."

"I gave it to him." Beth said in a small voice.

"I know... and he never took it off, said it was good luck. Which is why he would have wanted you to have it. We can all take turns if you want, but here." I handed over the chain. Beth hesitated for a moment before taking it and turning it around in her hand for a bit as a tear fell down her cheek that she quickly wiped away.

Jimmy then came into the room and I stood up. "I'll take the plates down to the kitchen, you want anything else?" Beth shook her head as I picked up the now empty plates, placing a kiss on the top of her head before taking my leave.

Patricia and Maggie were talking in the kitchen, but I saw no sign of my dad. Not that that was surprising. He always went around and checked on everything in the morning, not always because he had to, but to clear his head and get some fresh air.

"I'm going to go out and see what Rick's plan is for Randall." Maggie explained for me as I placed the plates in the sink.

I nodded in agreement, "Alright, I'll come. Trish?"

Patricia shook her head a little, "I'd rather not know." She stated, knowing the likely outcome. I nodded, understanding why she wanted to stay out of the whole situation before leaving the house with Maggie and heading over to where Rick's group were gathering.

"Daryl's talking to him now." Rick was explaining, them already apparently discussing the topic.

Maggie instantly went over and stood beside Glenn while I remained on the other side of the campfire, somewhat glad that Andrea had decided to take a step further away once I had arrived.

"What are you going to do?" I asked.

"We'd all feel better if we knew the plan." Lori agreed, standing from where she had been boiling water.

"We gonna keep him here?" Glenn asked.

"We'll know soon enough." Rick stated as he nodded to behind where I stood and we all turned to see Daryl walking over to us with bloody knuckles and his crossbow slung over his shoulder.

"Boy there's got a gang, 30 men." He informed as he got closer and then finally stood about two paces behind and to the side of me. "Got heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women, they're gonna... they're gonna wish they were." He finished, looking over to Daryl.

"What did you do?" Carol asked, apparently not all that happy about torturing someone for information.

"Had a little chat." Daryl answered simply.

Can't say I believed in torture, but we did need to find out all the facts and it wasn't like Daryl would have used medieval means, just a few punches and probably threats... Maggie on the other hand seemed shocked, but didn't say anything.

"Nobody goes near this guy." Rick demanded.

"Rick, what are you gonna do?" Lori asked.

Ricked sighed before answering. "We have no choice. He's a threat. We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just going to kill him?" Dale questioned.

"It's settled. I'll do it today." Rick said no more, walking away. Dale ran after him, not agreeing with the plan and probably trying to talk him out of it.

It was silent for a long while before Maggie changed the subject and broke the awkward silence. "Do you need anything out here from the house?" She turned to Lori.

"No." Rick's wife shook her head. "We're okay for the moment."

"Although... it is getting colder at night." Glenn cut in.

"I'll see if I can find some extra blankets around the house." She nodded, beginning to head back with me right behind her.

"I'm going to finish up putting that driving belt on the pickup." She nodded before we parted ways.

With getting half the job done last night, I was finished within 40 minutes and just as I closed up the bonnet and wiped off my hands, Dale walked over to me.

"Kat? Can I have a word with you?"

"You want to convince me that we should spare the boy's life?" I asked.

"It's wrong." Dale said, plain and simply.

"I never said it was right, but things aren't like they used to be. It's not as simply as right and wrong anymore, it's survival. Truth is... you can't trust people anymore."

"You trust your family and most of our group." He shot back.

"That's different. Your group isn't like Randall's and they may have left him for dead, but he still might go back to them. It's not like we've given him a reason to trust us and he may have family there, people he wants to get back to. It's sad and harsh, but it may be our only option."

"Rick, Glenn and your father saved his life. You patched him up." Dale continued to argue.

"He knows what we're thinking, Dale. He has too. All he's had time to do is think and weigh his chances and I guarantee you that he's figured out that they aren't high."

"They could be." He shrugged. "He's just a kid."

"What difference is my voice going to make?" I asked, wondering why he was here speaking with me when he could have been with Rick, my dad, or even Daryl.

"A lot. Your family listen to you. If you stand with me, they might as well and Rick will certainly listen to Hershel. He'll also listen to Daryl." Dale added.

"Then why aren't you up there, talking to him?"

"Because Daryl will listen to you." I actually laughed.

"You know, Carol thought the same thing... sent me up there to try and get him to come back and join the group. She said I was good with people." I said the last part like I thought it was overly amusing. "She was wrong."

"I was on watch the following morning." Dale explained. "I saw you coming back down to the house. No-one else knows." He quickly added. "But I do think that..."

"Listen, Dale..." I cut in. "I don't want to see the kid dead, I don't want to believe that the world is already this far gone, but... I have to keep my family safe and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk this. But... I will also stand behind whatever my father decides, so... if you can convince him, you've got me as well."

"And Daryl?"

"He's not someone who can be simply talked into or convinced of something. He knows what he thinks and he knows why, this I worked out shortly after your group arrived. He's also not a liar. You go up and you talk to him and he'll tell you the truth." Dale broke eye contact for a moment before looking back at me, but still not saying anything. "My dad's out checking on the cattle, I'll come and find you we he gets back."

"Thank-you." Dale nodded before leaving to go and speak with Daryl.

A few moments later I headed back up to the house and jump down on the couch with a sigh, only to have my dad come bursting through the front door a second later.

"Kat, get up. We have work to do." He announced. "Dozen steer broke through one of the fences last night and we have to wrangle them up and fix the fence."

"Again?" I groaned. "Can we have a few extra hands this time?" I pleaded.

"Yes, I'll get Maggie, Jimmy and Patricia. Can you go and ask Lori if she could keep an eye on Beth while we're out?"

"Of course. There's one quick thing I have to do before I go though. Is that all right? I've finished with Betty, so I'll take her and follow you, you don't have to wait."

"Alright, it's the East paddock again." He explained as I nodded and then left to grab Lori.

"Lori!" I called, running over to where she sat with Carl. "We have a couple of cattle we have to muster. Can you do me a favour and check in on Beth every so often? She should be fine, but just make sure she's drinking water."

"Of course, no problem."

I nodded a thank-you and then went to Betty, jumping in and the heading up to where I knew I'd find Dale. I drove Betty up to the ruins and spoke through the open window.

"Dale, we have a couple of cattle to handle." I explained right away. "Dad's probably already left the house again, so if you wanted to speak with him you better come with me."

"A minute?" He asked.

I nodded as a yes before turning off the vehicle and jumping out, not liking the heat building up inside without the air conditioner.

"This group's broken. I'm better off fending for myself." Daryl was saying.

"You act like you don't care." Dale stated.

"Yeah, it's 'cause I don't." Daryl shot back, picking up his jacket and throwing it on.

"So live or die, you don't care what happens to Randall?"

"Nope."

"Then why not stand with me, try to save the kid's life, if it really doesn't matter one way or the other?" Dale tried to reason. Had to give him credit for determination.

"Didn't peg you for a desperate son of a bitch."

"Your opinion makes a difference."

"Man, ain't nobody looking at me for nothing'." Daryl replied, picking up his crossbow and beginning to walk away to go hunting, no doubt.

"Carol is, and I am. Right now." Daryl turned back around, looking to Dale. "And you obviously... you have Rick's ear."

"Rick just looks to Shane... Let 'im." This made me somewhat mad. Mainly because Daryl knew about Otis, but I let it go. Daryl turned and walked away again, but Dale didn't let up.

"You cared about what happened to Sophia," this caused Daryl to turn around once again, "cared what it meant to the group. Torturing people?" Daryl took a few steps towards Dale as the old man continued to speak. "That isn't you. You're a decent man. So is Rick. Shane, he's different." I knew I saw something in Dale's eyes weeks ago at Otis' funeral, but it had never been confirmed until now.

"Why's that? 'Cause he killed Otis?" Daryl asked. Dale's head snapped around to where I stood behind him, taking in their conversation. "She knows." Daryl informed as Dale looked back at him and then to where I stood, seemingly unfazed by the news.

"He tell you that?" Dale asked, turning back to Daryl.

"He told some story. How Otis covered him, saved his ass. He showed up with the dead guy's gun." Daryl explained as Dale turned back to me, wondering if maybe Daryl had told me the truth.

"They left with two hand guns, Shane's rifle and Otis' shot gun. I found all four in the pickup that night after Shane got back." I elaborated.

"And you haven't said anything?" He asked me.

"Why would I? Shane's a hothead and a quick draw, takes out everything he perceives as a threat. I'm trying to avoid being on that list. Besides, it's Rick I'd have to convince and Shane's his best friend."

"Rick ain't stupid." Daryl continued for me. "If he didn't figure it out, it's 'cause he didn't wanna." Daryl turned to leave yet again, but continued speaking. "It's like I said, group's broken." Daryl kept walking, not looking back.

"Come on." I said to Dale, beginning to lead him to the pickup.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.6K 948 80
Rori Rhee has survived this long, been through so many death. Yet she still had Carl, her parents, and the rest of the group. Except, she's slowly lo...
1.5M 52.9K 107
Scarlett Greene hadn't spoken since she was twelve. After her Daddy was arrested for abuse when she was seventeen, she is sent to live with her Uncle...
53.1K 1.1K 95
Y/n Dixon, she was the youngest Dixon child, nothing like Merle. She was sweet, kind, caring. Like her mother. She always had Daryl to protect her. B...
134K 2.9K 32
Jade Dixon, one of the Dixon siblings, survives side-by-side with her badass brothers. With a sword in her hand, she fights for her life... and love.