The Glorious Triumph - Previo...

By emy1999

Grey Carson is South Portland High School's nerd and outcast, bullied by everyone. Caster is the anonymous un... More

The Glorious Triumph
~The Characters~
1: Daily Life
2: Ass Was Served
4: Hump Day
5: One Secret Down
6: Damn Aunt Danielle
7: This Is How I Roll
8: Psychic Aunts
9: Run Boys
10: Fight Night Part One
11: Fight Night Part Two
12: Alive
13: Televised
14: Hoping For The Win
15: Homecoming
16: Falling Into Place
17: Grey Space
18: Separation
19: Not Gordon Ramsey
20: Eternal Slumber
21: Upon Arrival
22: Questions And Known Answers
23: What Family Should Be
24: Going Through The Motions
25: Confessions
26: Crunch Time
27: The Run Down
28: Even On Break It's Not Break
29: Incomplete
30: A Hopeful Start

3: Snooper Trooper

19.1K 570 327
By emy1999

"Have a great day, honey!" my mom shouted to me. 

I sigh rolling my eyes, "Thanks, mom!" I bolted out the front door to my truck and I climb in.

I push back my hair out of my face as I start the car and back out of the driveway. I hum to the radio once again, this time it was Cake by the Ocean by DNCE. As I parked in front of Kevin's house, the song just finished and went to a commercial. I turn my head and see Kevin smiling at me as he ran to the door to the passenger side. "Morning, Grey!"

"Morning," I smile back.

Kevin pulls out a $10 dollar bill and hands it to me. "This is for the day. For driving me to school in back. So $50 a week okay?"

My eyes widen, "No, Kevin, you don't need to pay me!" I give him his money back.

"Are you sure?" He frowns, "Who turns down money?"

"I do, I guess," I chuckle nervously. 

He laughs putting his money back into his pocket. "You're pretty funny, Grey."

I smile driving to the school. Nothing good was on the radio this time so we settled for conversations for the 20 minute ride to school. "So, Grey, is your favorite color grey?" he smirks.

"Nope, used to be red now it's like aqua-ish. What's your's?"

"Navy blue, I don't know why it just is a comforting blue?" he shrugs confused by his own interest. "When's your birthday?"

"June 10th," I mutter.

"Isn't that the week of finals?" I nod and he cringes. "That sucks!"

"Yeah, when's your's?"

"October 31st, I'm a Halloween baby."

"You get candy and sugar on your birthday while I get tests," I pout.

"Hey, I'll get you an awesome gift! I promise," Kevin smiled wide. 

"Thanks, I'll get you one too." I parked into a spot and I slide out the car, with Kevin not far behind. After I locked the truck, I get a text from a random number and Kevin's phone buzzes, giving me the feeling he got it too. 

From: 802-321-4786

Last night Ryan Tanner got beat up like knocked the fuuuuccck out! Look!

Download video...

I clicked on it and sure enough it was Ryan smirking replaying the scenes of last night and thankfully it wasn't facing me. I hear people gasping in shock and others laughing their asses off. I look at Kevin and he was one of those stuck in a fit of laughter. I smiled, "I guess Ryan won't be in today?"

"Probably not, I bet he'll be pissed when he learns that there's a video of his knock out going viral. So much for that bad boy image?"

I smiled, "Yeah so much for that." Thank god for Caster.

~~~~~

My cell phone buzzed in my last class of the day and I groaned. All day people have been adding and commenting stupid stuff on that group chat and I can't leave it. Great. I pulled it out and saw that it wasn't from some random number but Will's.

From: Willy Billy :*

So that dude Ryan you knocked out is at the gym with Kyle and Parker. They're asking a lot of questions about you. Hurry and leave quickly but don't worry, no one is saying anything. They don't want to face your fury. 

PS bring me Starbucks, the usual Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato

Thanks angel!

I groaned, why does he need to find out who knocked him out. For revenge? This sucks. 

"You okay, Grey?" Kevin asked quietly. "You look, well a little pissed off." 

I turn red embarrassed, "Oh no nothing, don't worry. And I might need to drop you off a little earlier."

"How? We're in class?" he asked confused.

I rolled my eyes and raised my hand. "Yes, Miss. Carson," Mr. Blanker let me speak.

"Kevin and I need to leave school early for a Physics project and we need to have enough time to set up."

He nods, "Of course, I'll right you two a pass, good luck." He paused, "Never mind you both have straight As anyway," he shrugged writing out passes for Kevin and I. He hands us each a pass and I get up out of my seat leaving the class room. 

Kevin catches up to me, "That was amazingly awesome!" He smiled.

"Perks of being a teacher's pet," I laugh as we leave to the office and I give the secretary the passes and we leave the school, no one even questioning it. 

The amount of inspiration shining on Kevin's face was blinding. "Wait so why do you need to leave early?" 

I bite my lip, "My aunt wanted me to help her out a bit." 

He looked at me, studying me... "Oh, okay. Have fun with that."

We get into the truck and I go drive to his house. "Sorry about this last minute thing."

"Sorry? I'm leaving school early! Don't be sorry about that."

I laughed and we drove to his place and I dropped him off before rushing over to Starbucks getting Will his expensive white-girl drink. After that, I headed to the gym and I get dressed. I see Kyle's new Jeep and I curse as I jog in, in my full blown Caster gear. 

"Caster!" I'm welcomed with cheers and I smile a bit. 

"Hey, guys."

"Welcome home, sweetheart," Will and Darian joked.

I laugh, "I'm home!" I hand Will his coffee and he smiled with thanks drinking some, acting like he just drank liquid heaven.

"Caster, Saul had said there's a public match next month and he thought you should join," Max had said with a smirk. 

"Tell him no, sorry," I replied with a slight frown.

  "Come on! We all know you could win the 10 grand like last time with Underworld Match-ups," Will said with enthusiasm. "That's easy money!"  

  "I don't want money, Will. I just want my life back," I say and I realized how much I really wanted to cry but I suppress those feelings. I can't cry, especially now. Darian and Will look at me with comfort as I hear the back door slam shut. I bet that was the trio. At least I made them run away. I shake my hands a bit, "What ever though. Will, Bring me my new training program from Saul please."

Will nods jogging to his office drinking his coffee and returns with a large folder. "Here ya go, Saul's new training program for Caster herself." 

I scanned over it and not much changed.

Day 1:

3 sets of 5 minute speed jump ropes

6 minutes on the speed bag

3 sets 5 minute shadow boxing

3 sets of 5 minute heavy bag

Day 2:

4 sets of 40 rep squat thrusts

4 sets of 40 rep lunge thrusts

4 sets of 40 rep lateral leap and hop

6 sets of plyometric pushup until failure

3 sets of 5 minute combo shoulder raise

3 sets of 5 minute general situps

Day 3:

4 sets of 20 rep barbell deadlift

4 sets of 20 rep single-arm neutral-grip dumbbell row

4 sets of 20 rep wide-rip lat pulldown

4 sets of 20 rep barbell squat

3 sets of 20 rep leg extension

3 sets of 20 rep lying leg curl

3 sets of 20 rep seated calf raised

Day 4:

4 sets of 20 rep dumbbell bench press

4 sets of 20 rep incline dumbbell bench press

3 sets of 20 rep incline dumbbell flye

3 sets of bodyweight dip until failure

3 sets of 20 rep standing dumbbell bicep curls

Geez Saul loves adding an extra day. I roll my eyes not completely surprised. Looks like I'll start off with the jump ropes. I grabbed one from my bag and looked around then began my training for the day.

After a long days work, I leave the gym walking to my truck. I whistle quietly and undo my Caster-ness and put it back in it's spot. Then I hear footsteps. No two. Wait, three, there's three. I tense up, shit. They found my secret I bet huh? Fuck I'm so screwed. But then the sound of blade unsheathed makes me shiver. Know what? On second thought, I'd rather have the deadly trio discover my secret, I hate knives.

"Aren't you a babe," a man smirks, exposing yellow and missing teeth.

Ew gross, learn about hygiene, grandpa.

They all glare. Shit I said that allowed. "What the hell did you say?"

"I uh," I back up against my truck. Then I remembered my phone and speed dial Will quickly and quietly. "What do you mean? I'm just here in the garage trying to leave this place." Hopefully Will gets the idea I need him ASAP.

"Why would you leave? We're here to entertain you," they reeked of alcohol. Great.

One breathes down my neck looking at me but I refuse to look back at him. I close my eyes and land a solid punch to the guy's right cheek. He staggered back shocked and furious. Shit shit. Will get over here faster. The baldest guys lunges with the knife and I scream jumping away. No pointy things. No pointy things for moi. He growls and lunges again but I round house kick him into my truck. God dammit now there's a dent. Baldy stays unconscious but his two buddies don't. When blondie goes to stab me, Will's arm stops him and I curl behind him quietly.

Go ahead, call me a wimp, but once I leave the gym, my brain shuts off with my fighting spirit and determination. When threatened they return but not when there's a weapon. Too deadly for mistakes.

As I look away from Will definitely beating the crap out of them, my phone buzzed and my mom said I should be home soon since there's school tomorrow. At least tomorrow's hump day. I sigh at the failed attempt to relax. "Are you okay, Grey?" He asked in a worried whisper.

I nodded, "Thanks for coming. I really hate knives." I shudder looking at one laying on the ground casually.

"Of course, I need to be there always for my best friend's sister" he smiles, rubbing his bony hand on my scalp. I flinch.

"That hurt, Will," I shout with a pout. Haha that rhymed.

"Sorry," he chuckles with a playful grin.

I roll my eyes and go into my truck. "I'll see you tomorrow and thanks again." He nods and I drive off back home, but stopping at a spots shop near by.

I hop out with my phone and money in hand an go inside. I walk to the athletic wear and breeze through it. I find shorts and pants that I liked and grabbed a T-shirt saying, Drop It. I go to the cashier desks but pause. Dammit. Kyle was there talking to the male cashier in front of them. They look like close friends, seeing how he smiled and laughed a lot at whatever they talked about. But then...Kyle leaned in and they kissed. Oh my god. I hide myself back into a line of clothes hoping he wouldn't see. And thankfully he didn't, just walking out of the store. I sigh and come out from my spot and pay for my clothes. There goes $95. I return to my truck and finally head home.

"Hey, mom," I greet her when I enter the house. 

"Hey, sweetie. Your father left for a job emergency so we're having dinner without him," she hugs me and takes my bags putting them at the foot of the stairs. 

"Oh, okay." She serves two plates loaded with broccoli, mash potatoes, baked beans, and a small steak. "This smells great, thanks." 

She nods and we eat in silence. It makes me remember this time last year. In this silence, Patrick and Ella would've been laughing like crazy during a food fight. Ella would've thrown a spoonful of mashed potatoes and Patrick -with his hate for broccoli- would've returned fire with it. I sigh heavily. "I know, Grey, I know," my mom says with a disconsolate expression, as if she knew my thoughts. After dinner, mom shooed me away from helping with the dishes and I go with my bags upstairs to finish homework.

I pull out my agenda book, reading tonight's torture. Calc: pg 122 #1-55 (fucking hate math); Chem: start the lab report; History: read about Colonialism. i groan. I don't wanna do this...

I unlock my phone and open the app that has blessed me since freshman year. PhotoMath. If you don't got it, I seriously recommend it. I take pictures of each math problem and start copying the results. After that's done in 20 minutes flat, I start chemistry. I do a basic layout because that's all she really expects. That was easy. Now, when we need to read for homework that will be discussed the next day, you don't have homework. I slam my books shut dramatically and go to my bed with my laptop. Netflix time. 

So much to watch, such little time. I pout and stare at the variety of shows and movies. 

My phone buzzes and I look at the text.

Kevinnn:

Hey, can I come to your house for the night...? I know it's random but I can't stay home and I don't have much of anywhere else to go...

I frown replying back, Of course, I'll get you now.

No need. I jump seeing Kevin perched at my window. "Kevin!" I open the window. "How did you know where I live?"

"Phone book? The town's small enough where there's only one Carson," he shrugs as he climbs into my room. 

"Take my bed for the night okay?" I go to my closet pulling out a blanket for myself. 

He frowns, "No stay in your bed."

"Nope," I reply stubbornly. He groans and I look at him. He has the same clothes as today but they're dirty. "Stay here," I walk out and close my room door and go across the hall to the room that once was occupied. I opened the bureau pulling out Patrick's old T-shirt and basketball shorts. I return to see Kevin looking at the pictures on my desk. "Kevin," I clear my throat.

He jumps surprised and blushed, "Sorry. You take amazing pictures by the way." 

"Thanks," I hand him the clothes. 

"Are these your brother's?"

I nodded, "They were."

Kevin breathes out. "Turn around." I nodded facing the wall when I hear Kevin taking off his clothes. "Okay, I'm good." I turn back around and look at him and I inhale sharply. He looks exactly like Patrick... "Grey, are you okay?" Kevin asked worriedly. 

I nodded biting back the tears, "Yeah, I'm fine. Go sleep, we still have school tomorrow."

"Don't remind me," he groans.

I snigger and smile. "Yeah, I did the homework already, so feel free to copy it."

"You're a lifesaver," he grins ear to ear. 

His happiness eases me, I miss this. I give him the work and he pulls out his notebooks from his bag, copying what I had done. I go to my bean bag chair and plop down onto it wrapping the blanket around me. "My alarm goes off at 6 if that's okay, I can always let you sleep in."

"Nah, 6 is fine." I nod and close my eyes. "Thanks again, Grey." 

I nod, "No problem, Kev. Do you want to talk about it?"

Dolefully, he shakes his head, "No now, we can later if you really want to."

I bow my head slightly, "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it at all."

"No, I can. It'll probably help. Ya know? Speaking it out is suppose to help."

"Where's your brother in this? He goes to the college near so what about him."

"He's a part of the reason but I wouldn't go to him with this problem either way."

I give him a sympathetic look, "Well, you can talk to me. I'll be here for you if you ever need someone to talk to. But maybe next time, give me a heads up when you decide to come over."

He chuckled, "Yeah, I will. And thanks Grey for letting me stay so last minute."

"No problem, and there's a jar of Nutella and chocolate chip cookies under my bed if you want a snack."

His eyes brighten, "Awesome! Thanks, Grey!" He dives under the bed pulling them both out. 

"Well, I'm going to go to sleep. Night night, Kev."

"Night night, Grey."

I relax letting the darkness engulf me. 

Victorious by Panic! At the Disco is what I wake up to. I groan quietly looking at a lifeless Kevin sprawled on my bed. I laugh getting up. "Kevin, wake up sleepy head." I poke his side and he squeals, jumping away, falling onto the floor. I cover my mouth muffling my laugh. 

"Grey? Is everything okay up there?" my mom shouted. 

"Yeah, mom. I just tripped, don't worry!" I shout back.

"Okay, honey. Clean your room when you get home then."

"Yes, mother." I look back down at Xavier. "Do you want to wear that or something else? I got plenty of clothes you can borrow."

He shrugs, "Nah this is fine. Thank though for the offer."

"No problem."

I go to the bathroom with my clothes getting dressed for the day. I pulled over a loose long sleeve shirt and sweatpants. I wrap a scarf around my neck and brush my teeth. After I finish, I meet Kevin back in my room. He smiles up at me, a backpack slung over his shoulder. "I'll climb back out the window so your parents don't freak out about a teen age boy being home."

I blush slightly, "Yeah thanks, I'll unlock my truck and I'll bring you a breakfast for the ride to school."

He was already halfway out of the window to the outside when he nodded and I closed the window behind him. I grab my keys on my desk unlocking the truck for Kevin then down to the kitchen. I go to the fridge, grabbing 4 packs of chocolate pudding with spoons and two granola bars. "I'm late so bye mom," I kiss her on her cheek before she can say anything. When I sit in my truck, I hand two puddings to Kevin with the plastic spoon, and one of the granola bars. I lean back eating my own breakfast. 

"Oh thank god, there's chocolate pudding!" he beams cheerfully.

I smile with a mouthful of food then drive off to school. Half way done with school for the week. Thankfully.

★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★

3125 words published March 8th, 2016

Sorry for the late update, writer's block and been busy sadly but should be weekly updates

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 2.5K 45
Meet Sophia Williams, a typical good girl with good grades, good looks, and good at almost everything. A girl who hides so many secrets behind that s...
223K 5.4K 27
Kat is known for being rough around the edges, but no one knows why. No one but her best friend, Blake. At the age of only seven, her dad died tragi...
5.4K 143 12
*COMPLETED* "Kiss me if I'm wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?" I just rolled my eyes. Maya Prescott is a girl who has an amazing ability to f...
4.1K 187 35
Tessa O'Conner isn't your typical high school girl. She's had a cheating boyfriend, alcohol addiction, and she is a streetfighter. Nobody knows about...