Wounded: Our Journey Home

By misshijabi3

(Book 1) Completed: February 13th 2016 Highest rank: #05 on the what's hot list 12/1/15 Tuesday Reached 100k... More

Wounded
Prologue
Wounded- Chapter One
Wounded- Chapter Two
Wounded- Chapter Three
Wounded- Chapter Four
Wounded- Chapter Five
Wounded- Chapter Six
EID MUBARAK!!! (Eid-ul-Fitr)
Wounded- Chapter Seven
Wounded- Chapter Eight
Wounded- Chapter Nine
Wounded- Chapter Ten
Wounded- Chapter Eleven
Wounded- Chapter Twelve
Wounded- Chapter Thirteen
Wounded- Chapter Fourteen
Wounded- Chapter Fifteen
Wounded- Chapter Sixteen
Wounded- Chapter Seventeen
Wounded- Chapter Eighteen
EID MUBARAK!!!(Eid-ul-Adha)
Wounded- Chapter Nineteen
Wounded- Chapter Twenty
Wounded- Chapter Twenty One
Characters
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Two
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Three
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Four
Authors note
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Five
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Six
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Thirty
Wounded- Chapter Thirty One
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Two
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Three
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Four
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Five
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Six
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Seven
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Forty
Authors note (important...)
Wounded- Chapter Forty One
Wounded- Chapter Forty Two
Wounded- Chapter Forty Three
Wounded- Chapter Forty Four
Wounded- Chapter Forty Five
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter + Mothers day
I'm leaving... Wattpad!
Good news!
SafiyahGraphics
Sequel: Collided

Wounded- Chapter Twenty Seven

5K 273 18
By misshijabi3

Edited:

Published: Friday, October 23rd 2015 2:02 p.m

Jafar:
September 5th

After a long three hour flight, we finally made it back to Florida. Just from the smell of the outside air, I knew that half of the worrying was done now that we were back. Hopefully Jamila works everything out with her...issues. Wasim still has to go home to a disfunctional family, and then there is Ayah and I. I'm still at a lost as to what happens next. Yes we're back, but
we still have a long way to go.

"Feels good, doesn't it?" Ayah questioned with a smile, quickly easing her hand into mine. I smiled at the gesture. Nodding, I started to walk along with everyone towards the seats to wait on my step-father. Our plane was early. Therefore we had to wait for him to make the hour long trip.

"It does feel good. If I don't have to ride in a plane again this year, I'll be the happiest man alive."

Ayah chuckled lightly, "I second that." Then she moved so she had her head on my shoulder. And that was how we sat for the next couple mi Utes before we were interrupted.

"Who is picking us up?" Jamila asked with a frown. During the flight, she was expecting to get a few hours of sleep, but she was interrupted by several annoying people. And to top it off, she left her head phones.

"Abi said he'll be here in fifteen minutes," I responded, looking up from my messages to see her glare on me. "What?"

"I hate flying," She grumbled and walked away to the food court. Wasim is sitting a few seats away from us, practically falling asleep on his phone.

Unlike my impatient sister, waiting has always been my strong suit. It gives me time to think. Especially now. There is so much we need to do. My songs won't sell forever, therefore I need to get a job. It shouldn't be hard though. I have a degree to get me several good paying jobs. Singing was just a hobby that turned into a career. And now that it's over, it's time to think like a family man. Not a boy chasing his dream.

"Jafar, Abi's here."

I nodded at my sister, then turned to tell my sleeping wife of our departure.

"Ayah, it's time to go," I whispered into her ear, which in turn she snuggled deeper into my shoulder. "Ayah, wake up," I said a little louder, shaking her. She then woke up and looked around her in a daze.

"What did you say?" She asked in confusion. I just smiled and stood up, pulling her along with me.

"It's time to go, Ayah."

She nodded, suddenly remembering. "Right."

-*-

"So, Ayah, how was New York?" Abi asked Ayah in the front seat, now and then looking in the rear view mirror and smirking at me. We're currently riding in Abi's car, Ayah in the front seat, but I'm in the back with Wasim and Jamila. Who both happen to be asleep. On me...

"It was eye opening," She responded, smiling slightly as she also saw the sight of me and my siblings. "And how is Ummi? I haven't talked to her in a while."

"She misses you. Both of you," Abi added when I scoffed. "But mostly she's wonderful, Alhamdulillah. She's thinking of getting a kitten."

"A kitten?!" Ayah exclaimed. "How come?"

"Since Jamila here will be going to college soon, and I'll be at work, she wants a companion."

The conversation just went on with that topic the rest of the way. Riverside hasn't changed a bit. Still the small stores and restaurants, few of which are opened at the moment. The lights of the town shining brightly for those who want to take a stroll. It's perfect weather for it. It reminds me of when Ayah and I were walking around after we went out for dinner. Peaceful. A place where you could leave your car door open with a million dollars in it and it won't be stolen.

I honestly did miss this place while I was away. It's something familiar. California wasn't, but I tried to make it. It worked for a while until it got old. Then I was just lost, and everything went downhill. I can't complain though. It brought me back to Ayah.

As we neared Wasim's street, I shook him awake. And when we stopped on the sidewalk, I moved to get out with him, and Ayah turned to me in concern.

"Jafar, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah," I nodded and took a look at the house. You could see faint movement inside, but it was probably Aunt Fatima. This is what she does at night. "It'll only take a second."

She looked hesitant for a second, but one look at Wasim and she knew why. She knew I had to to this. I then walked over and placed a comforting arm on Wasim.

"Come on, buddy. Let's get you home."

Wasim turned to me with an amused expression. "I'm not your date. You don't have to walk me to the door and give me a kiss."

I shook my head. "Just walk."

As soon as we reached tbe porch, the door flew open. Aunt Fatima came walking forward, giving Wasim a hug before stepping back. "You were gone way too long, Habibi."

He smiled and pointed to me in amusement. "It was all him, Ummi. But I'm glad I went."

She offered him a small smile. "Me too. Now get inside. It's late and you need to eat." As soon as he was inside, Aunt Fatima shut the door and turned to me. "Thank you, Jafar. It was time that he got out of this town."

I smiled lightly. "Anytime. But I heard my father was in the hospital..."

She nodded sadly. An emotion I couldn't muster when it came to him. But he is my father. I should at least see what the state of him is. Even if some in my position disagree.

"He's not doing good. He hasn't been well for some time. But don't think that he wasn't going to tell you and your sisters."

I scoffed. "Yeah. Because he cared all those years ago."

Her face softened after I said that. And a frown coated her face. "What he put you through is cruel. Honestly, I am very sorry."

Growing up, I barely came over to their house, but when I did, Aunt Fatima was always kind and sweet. I just don't understand how she found my father. They are complete opposites.

"But he finally told me exactly how sick he is. And I will tell you this: he's holding on. You should go see him."

"Wait—" I protested, but she shook her head.

"He needs to tell you. Go see him."

-*-
Ayah:

"All she said was 'go see him.' Nothing about his health?"

Jafar and I are now inside my house, cleaning up some dust that has settled since Mama left. I haven't told her that I was coming back, nor do I tend to for a while. Since she has been with my Aunt, she has been happier than she ever has been. And since Uncle Yaman is on business trips all the time, the both of them needed the company.

My intentions were to just stay here by myself, but Jafar refused, and I didn't stop him. So here we are, in the kitchen, taking all the expired food out of the refrigerator. Which is basically all of it.

Jafar passed me another bowl from when we had cereal tonight and sighed. "Yeah, but I don't know. She said that he was going to tell us, but I don't believe that. He couldn't care less about us."

"If it's serious, I think he would. If I had a bad relationship with my child, I would at least want to inform them of my shady health."

Jafar shrugged. "I guess. But not him. Not my father," He then gave me a kiss on the cheek before retreating to the couch.

-*-
September 6th

"Ayah, where have you been!" Dianne greeted Jafar and I with a hug. She stood back, grasping my hands with hers as she looked me over. "Where have you been, sweetie? My life doesn't have that spark without seeing you beautiful face. You either, Jafar," She added, but Jafar waved her off playfully.

"I was in New York for a while, but I decided to come back."

"I'm glad you did. Now, is this a social visit, or are you hungry?"

"Hungry," Jafar told her and I hit his arm with a smile.

"We were just dropping by after grocery shopping."

"That was very sweet," The corners of Diannes's eyes creased as she is watching us. "We just made some fresh pie if you want some. Free of charge."

I was about to protest, but Jafar cut me off with a grin. "We would love some."

Jafar then grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the counter. After this pregnancy is over, I'm going to be fat.

-*-
"Four slices?!" Jamila exclaimed at her brother. I just got through telling her about going to Dianne's today. And while we were there catching up, Jafar was scarfing down pie. It was delicious pie, but it looked like I didn't feed him.

"Mills, you know that apple pie is my favorite. Why would I pass it up?"

Jamila shrugged and turned to me, pursing her lips. "He has a point."

"And speaking of food," Jafar cut in, smiling at his mother who was watching us in amusement. "Are there any leftovers?"

"Ayah, do you feed my son?" She asked, and I laughed a little.

"The house was empty expect for cereal. But there is food now."

She smiled at my answer, preparing two plates. "I understand. Your mother has been gone for a while. Is she coming back?"

"I hope not," I muttered, and everyone turned to me with their eyebrows raised. I quickly shook my head. "I meant that she needed to get away from here. I want her to enjoy herself."

I then took out my phone to text her.

Mama, how are you? We haven't talked in a while- Ayah

I then proceeded to put my phone away when a plate was pushed in front of me. "Eat."

I looked up at Jafar's mother and shook my head. "I already ate. And at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be three hundred pounds."

"I know," She smiled politely and pushed the plate further towards me. "But I know the child you're carrying is hungry, and so are you. Eat."

Without protest, I thanked her and got ready to eat what she has placed in front of me. But the smirk of someone in my line of sight stopped me from taking the first bite.

"You're worried about gaining weight?" Jafar as me with a smirk, but his voice was soft.

I pursed my lips and took a couple bites of my food. Much like Jafar did back in Philly.

"It's been on my mind."

"Well, it shouldn't be. You shouldn't care about something small like weight when it comes to bringing a life into this world."

"I guess you're right."

Jafar laughed, and then reached over to move his thumb across my cheek. "I know I am."

-*-
Jafar:

September 7th

"Happy Labor Day," Wasim said unenthusiasticly as he got into my car, throwing his basketball bag into the back seat. On the way from dropping Ayah off with Jamila, Wasim called me up asking for a ride to his school. A few of the boys were playing a game of pickup and he didn't have a ride. Almost everything in the town is in walking distant, except the schools.

For some reason, the schools are all situated about twenty five minutes away from town. By car.

"Really," I raised an eyebrow. He just shrugged. "Who all is going to be there?"

"The basketball team, but they wouldn't dare play and get injured before the season in November. A few guys from school, and the basketball coach. He comes to scout new talent in the school."

"Who is the coach."

"Jake Wilkes."

Now why does that name sound familiar...?

I squinted my eyes in a way to remember who he was.

"I think he graduated with you."

And that's all it took for me to figure he was out.

"We did graduate together," I replied after a while. "He's...an old friend."

-*-
Ayah:

"Ayah, I can't see anything," Jamila said with a laugh. From where she was sitting on her bed, I was very close to attacking her. All day I've been trying to convince her that I have a small bump, but she said the same thing: 'Ayah, I can't see anything.'

I know it's there because I can feel it. Even Jafar said he could see a little bump, but I think he just wanted me to stop waking him up and go to sleep. I couldn't though. It was too exciting.

"Jamila, put your phone down and look at me."

She slapped her phone down on the bed with a huff and turned to me, squinting her eyes in annoyance.

"Ayah, you're like a month, right?"

I shrugged and turned to the mirror to look at the bump that only I could see.

"I don't know, really. I'm guessing around a month or so. But we'll find out tomorrow."

Her eyes lit up. "Finally! I need to know what gender I'm pampering."

"I thought you were through with your nieces and nephews."

Jamila waved me off and sat back down. "I got over that. Amna and Samra apologized, plus I don't have time for childish games. I grew up in New York."

"I'm glad," I turned around and pulled my Abaya down. "But what about you and the boys?"

"That," Jamila smirked and sat down. "I decided to pick...neither."

"Seriously?"

She nodded. "I don't see the point in chasing something that's not there. I really like both, but I think it's time for something new. Besides, I want Abi and Jafar to pick someone."

"Old school."

She waved her hand in the air. "I guess. But like I said, I want something new."

"And you're sure about this?"

"Yeah," She smiled, faintly looking at the wall. "I think so."

-*-

This chapter is more of a filler, so it won't be the best I've published. But, anyways, I hope you all enjoy!

Also, does anyone want to make a banner???

PLEASE:

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

327K 10.2K 42
WARNING: THIS BOOK NEEDS MAJOR EDITING (Book I in broken series) "What are you doing on my bed? Get down right now." He growled. i got startled and...
83K 4.4K 28
[HIGHEST Ranking : 37 in spiritual] Though people find it both funny and crazy that a little childhood proposal between two four year olds got them m...
16.2K 1.2K 25
What's life, nothing but a void canvas which we have to fill with numerous hues. And once in a while we come across people who will taint the void ca...
501K 30.4K 46
Highest ranking, #1 in spiritual ( 10/7/2016 ) until ( 5/ 9/ 2016 ). How can you fix something that's already been broken, several times? I a...