Out of Bounds [h.s. au]

By lemoncrushh

After a few years of being a housewife, Tisa Jordan decided to go back to school. Hoping to find inspiration... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Playlist / Cast of Characters

Chapter 26

3.2K 153 14
By lemoncrushh

I awoke to the sound of low voices nearby. Lying on my side, I opened my eyes to see Harry and Penny sitting at her table, the only light coming from the one above them.

"Hi, baby doll," said Penny sweetly when she noticed me. "How are you feeling?"

I cleared my throat and sat up, running a hand through my hair.

"Thirsty," I grimaced.

Harry grinned and stood up to retrieve a bottle of water for me from the fridge.

"What time is it?" I asked when he handed it to me.

"About six thirty."

"Did I fall asleep on you? I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he murmured, kissing me on the forehead. "You needed your rest."

"Thank you for staying," I told him as he sat on the edge of the bed.

"You're welcome. You look like you feel better."

I nodded. "I think my fever's gone finally."

I got up to use the restroom, then sat down at the table with Harry and Penny. I decided to eat the other half of my sandwich and Harry warmed up the rest of my soup for me. It felt great going down, and afterwards I felt a hundred times better.

"Report tomorrow, right?" I turned to Harry, referring to our Sociology paper.

"Only if you're up to it," he said, looking a bit concerned.

"I think I'll be okay. I don't want it to be late."

Harry nodded as he ran his hand up my forearm. "I love you," he mouthed.

I grinned at him and squeezed his hand. "I love you, too."

"So..." Penny cleared her throat. "What do you two lovebirds have planned for Thanksgiving?"

"Actually, Penny," I sighed, sitting back in my chair, "I was going to ask you the same thing. Do you have plans with Zack?"

"Yep," she grinned. "And we want you guys to join us."

"Really?" I looked to Harry and back to her. "That would be great!"

"I talked Zack into staying home instead of going to his parents'. His mom was none too happy, but he told her he'd come home for Christmas."

"Are we doing it here, or at Zack and Harry's?" I asked.

"Oh this place is way too small," Penny insisted. "We'll go there."

"You okay with that?" I turned to Harry.

"Fine with me," he shrugged, rubbing his hands on his jeans.

"Yay," Penny clapped her hands together. "It'll be fun. Just us four. I mean...unless you had to visit family, Tisa. I didn't think of that, I'm sorry."

"No," I shook my head. "I haven't seen my family in years. James and I usually either went to his mother's or we stayed home."

I immediately felt guilty for mentioning James. I cringed as I snuck a peek at Harry. He didn't seem upset in the least. He looked curious, if anything.

"Oh...okay," said Penny, thankfully leaving it at that.

*

I still wasn't feeling a hundred percent Thursday morning. In fact, I threw up once more before I left for school. I managed to drink a cup of tea, the thought of coffee sounding unbearable. I took a piece of toast with me for the ride, figuring I probably wouldn't even eat all of it.

Harry just happened to pull into the parking space next to mine just as I was getting out of my car. I stopped and waited for him on the sidewalk, and we walked to Professor Crawford's class together.

"You ready?" he asked as his hand guided me on the small of my back.

"Let's do this," I said, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Just as we were about to enter the classroom, I noticed the "mean girls" sitting at a picnic table nearby. Liz was the only one to seemed to notice me as she quickly stood up and said goodbye to the other two girls.

Harry and I sat at our table, ready to give our report. We were more than prepared, but as soon as I saw Leslie and Charice walk in, followed by Crawford, I felt a sudden wave of nausea rush over me. I took a couple of deep breaths, hoping it would subside, but it didn't. I quickly laid my head down on the desk.

"Tisa..." Harry questioned. I felt his hand on my back. "You okay?"

"I think I'm gonna throw up."

I lifted my head slowly, catching a glimpse of Harry's concerned face.

"Ms. Jordan, Mr. Styles," I heard Crawford say. He sounded very far away although he was standing directly in front of us. "You two want to go first?"

I suddenly felt like I had tunnel vision. The next few things seemed to happen instantaneously, yet in slow motion at the same time.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed.

I stood up quickly, nearly knocking over my chair, ran to the door and outside toward the restrooms. Fortunately I made it to the stall in time to throw up. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought to bring a toothbrush. I splashed cold water on my face and stood over the sink for a few minutes, trying to get my bearings. This was more than a twenty-four hour bug. This had to be the stomach flu, or something similar. I felt like hell.

I heard the bathroom door squeak open, and I didn't bother to look up. But just as I put my hands under the running water to wash them, I caught a flash of red hair go by. Of course she would choose to walk slowly to the very last stall, as though she was on a leisurely stroll. I lifted my head then to glare at Liz in the mirror. She gave me blank stare before closing the stall door behind her.

I still didn't feel up to going back to the classroom just yet. I closed my eyes and took a few more deep breaths, wishing to God the nausea and dizziness would stop.

"Feeling ill?" I heard from behind me.

I didn't want to look at her. I kept my eyes closed, my hands supporting myself on the edge of the sink. I breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth. Just then, I felt a hand tap my arm. I jolted, my eyes wide. Liz stood there with a pack of two Pepto Bismol tablets in her hand, holding it out to me. I eyed her for a moment, wondering why the hell she was offering it to me.

"Take it," she insisted. "It couldn't hurt."

"Thanks," I muttered, hesitantly taking the medicine from her.

"I keep all the essentials in my bag at all times," she explained, lifting the flap of her messenger bag. "You need it, I got it. Gum, mints, Tylenol, tampons...I'm like a regular Walgreens."

I was just about to pop the first tablet in my mouth when it hit me again. I ran to the nearest stall, making it just in time.

"Oh gosh," I heard Liz voice. "Here."

I felt her grab my hair, pulling it back with one hand so that it wouldn't hang over the toilet. She must have found a hair tie in her bag of endless supplies and used it to put my hair in a ponytail. I heaved a couple more times until I felt like I'd thrown up a lung.

"Jeez, you've got it bad," she exclaimed when I stood upright again.

"Yeah," I agreed, grabbing some toilet paper to wipe my eyes.

I made it back over to the the sink, where I realized I'd dropped the medicine which was now bubbling and dissolving.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath.

"Don't sweat it. I have more."

"Thanks," I said again when she handed me another packet. "How come you're being so nice to me?"

I hated to suspect anyone of ulterior motives, but this was a girl who had despised me for no reason other than her friend having a crush on my boyfriend. Why the sudden change of heart?

Liz shrugged. "I don't know."

I squinted my eyes. "Don't give me that. You and your friends have been nothing but mean to me for the last couple months. What gives?"

Liz swallowed and then lifted her chin. "Maybe I just don't like being mean. Being nice is much easier."

"Yeah, it is," I scoffed. "Especially when you really have no valid reason to hate me."

Turning my attention back to the medicine in my hand, I tossed it in my mouth and chewed the tablets, taking a handful of water from the sink to wash them down.

Liz sighed, leaning against the sink beside mine. "Britney's my best friend. I've known her since we were in elementary school. She lived down the street. She's like a sister to me."

I watched her as she pulled on the drawstring of her hoodie. I said nothing, so she continued.

"One night this summer we went out to the movies. Before we went, we stopped at Mikado's to have dinner. Harry was our waiter. He was really cute, really sweet and really funny. Britney was quite taken with him. I mean, I was too, if I'm being honest. But Britney wouldn't stop talking about him all night. Even after we left the movies, she was still going on about him. She was a smitten kitten.

"So of course, we went back. Only this time we found out he was working at the bar. We decided to ditch whatever other plans we had and just sat at the bar until closing. We did this several times."

Liz finally took a breath, looking at me. "Sometimes Britney would go without me. I kinda started to worry a little bit. Like, was she taking this infatuation too far? I figured if Harry was interested, he would have asked her out by now."

I raised an eyebrow in agreement.

"Well," she continued. "Then school started, so we had less time to go unless it was the weekend. Then there was the night you were there."

Liz eyed me, making sure I remembered. Of course I remembered. Britney had taken my seat.

"It was obvious Harry knew you. I didn't really think anything of it. I thought you and your friend were cool. I enjoyed being a part of the...sort of party, I guess."

I nodded, recalling the party vibe that Harry and Brian had given off, setting the tone for the remainder of the evening.

"Britney was P.O.'d!" Liz exclaimed. I almost laughed at her tone and choice of words, but my stomach still hurt. "After you left she was really laying it on thick with Harry, leaning over the bar and practically petting him. He's always so nice, and I'm sure trying to keep his job, he just takes it. But not once have I seen him act like he's interested."

I grinned slightly, a little glimmer of pride on my face.

"But anyway, like I said, Britney's my best friend. I love her. And I want her to be happy. And she wants Harry." Liz sighed again, taking a moment to gather more thoughts. "I know I didn't have a valid excuse to hate you, or be mean to you. She hates you with a passion though. And I guess I had to be an enemy by association. And then..."

She paused, seeming hesitant to say the rest of her sentence.

"Then what?" I asked.

"She was at the bar one night. Harry wasn't there, but she stayed anyway. Two men and a woman were sitting beside her. She didn't recognize her at first, but then she remembered her as your friend. Justine, was it?"

"Oh no," I grimaced.

"I don't recall the whole story, but apparently one of them mentioned Harry, which of course made her perk up her ears. Then they mentioned you. And one of the men said you were his wife."

"Are you serious?"

Liz nodded. "That's how we found out you were married. Now listen," she held up a hand. "It was none of my business. And it's still not. But at the time all I thought was that was a great way to get back at you. I could use that knowledge against you to help out my friend. I guess I thought, if she can't have him, you don't deserve him either."

"Thanks," I muttered sarcastically.

Liz shook her head. "I realized I was wrong. I'm sorry."

"What made you come to this decision?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

"I've seen the way he looks at you."

I blinked, not expecting that answer.

"That boy's in love with you. And you're in love with him. I watch you when you're walking to class, when he puts his arms around you and kisses you. I don't know anything about your husband, or ex-husband, or whatever he is. But if Harry loves you like that...I can't imagine you being in love with anyone else."

"Wow," I breathed. I didn't know how to respond to that.

"And also...it's obvious Britney needs to give up this...whatever it is. Wishing Harry would pay attention to her, ask her out, whatever. I told her so last night."

My eyes about popped out of my head. "You did?"

"Yeah," she let out a deep sigh. "She's probably still a little mad at me. But she'll get over it. I told her that Harry wouldn't pick someone disgusting to fall in love with. And the truth hurts, but she needs to move on."

"Wow," I said again. "Thanks...I guess."

"Welcome," Liz shrugged. "Are you feeling better?"

"Um...yeah, a little. You don't happen to have a toothbrush in that bag of yours, do you?"

She chuckled. "I do, but it's mine. I don't have a spare. I can give you this though."

Liz dug through her bag and pulled out a Binaca spray. Then she grabbed a container of mints and a pack of gum.

"Take your pick," she offered.

"I'll take one of each, actually," I grinned.

"Good idea."

*

I made it back to class in one piece, still feeling a tiny bit queazy, but loads better than I had when I left. I quietly sat next to Harry as I listened to two other students give their report. He didn't ask any questions, he just took my hand under the table and squeezed it.

Crawford had agreed that Harry and I could give our report on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, with no points off of our grade since I had been taken ill. I still insisted that we at least turn in the printed copy, as some sort of assurance that we had written it, and he was fine with that.

On the sidewalk, I told Harry about my run-in with Liz. I told him the whole story, what she'd told me and even how she helped me. She had also said that Leslie and Charice hadn't been enlightened yet, and along with Britney might still be bitter for a little while. I honestly wasn't worried. I felt a huge burden lifted off of my shoulders. Liz and I might not ever be friends, but at least I knew she wasn't the hateful bitch she had pretended to be.

Harry had to work that night and the next, but both he and Zack were off Saturday. That gave me time to hopefully get well, so we made plans for Penny and I to go their apartment for dinner.

Penny insisted on waiting on me hand and foot after she got home from work. She told me she loves to play nurse, that she probably would have been one if she hadn't discovered she liked to sing. I wasn't going to argue with her, and frankly couldn't anyway. I still felt horrible and stayed in bed the rest of the afternoon on into the evening. I got up only to use the bathroom and eat a quick dinner with Penny at the table. Fortunately I didn't throw up anymore that day, but probably because I didn't have anything in me to throw up.

Friday morning, however, I felt like I was back at square one. I felt cold and clammy, and managed to vomit twice before Penny just about put me on house arrest if I so much as tried to set one foot out the door. I texted Harry to let him know I was once again staying home sick.

"Girl, this has been long enough," exclaimed Penny. "You need to go to the doctor."

"I'm not that sick," I argued.

"Fuck that, yes you are!"

"I'll be okay," I muttered.

I couldn't afford to go to the doctor, even if I wanted to. Although I hadn't asked him, I wouldn't be surprised if James had already taken me off his insurance. There's probably some rule that says a separated spouse is still covered, but I wouldn't put anything past James at this point. And I definitely had no extra money for meds.

"Fine," Penny crossed her arms. "I'll give you the weekend. But if you're still sick Monday morning, I'm taking you myself."

I watched her walk toward her bedroom, only to return two seconds later.

"Tisa..." she said in a weird tone I couldn't quite make out. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

I laughed out loud, causing my stomach to hurt. "Not a chance."

"Why not? Do you and Harry...you know...use protection?"

"I've been on the pill for years," I explained.

"Oh," Penny nodded. "Okay."

She started to turn back to her room but stopped.

"You take it everyday?"

I nodded. "Yes. In fact, I just took today's when I went to the bathroom a minute ago."

"Alright," she sighed, accepting my confirmation.

As I watched her finally exit the room, I thought again about the insurance. I wouldn't be able to afford my pills without the insurance. But that was definitely something I had to make work. I would just have to find a way.

Twenty minutes later, Penny emerged from her room again to leave for work.

"Sorry, I have to go, baby doll," she said, kissing me on the forehead.

"It's okay," I smiled. "I'll be fine."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," I nodded.

"Tell me to butt out if I'm crossing a boundary here...but why would you take birth control if you weren't having sex?"

I sighed in exasperation, knowing this question was coming sooner or later. I could tell her the long story, or the shortened one. I decided on the latter.

"James didn't want kids. So I went on the pill. I guess once we stopped having sex, part of me still hoped we would again eventually, and I wanted to be prepared."

Penny seemed to accept my answer, for which I was grateful. She patted my arm before grabbing her purse and heading out the door. I managed to sleep until the afternoon. I got up and showered, made myself a sandwich and watched a little TV before checking my phone. One text from Harry, just saying he loved me and to call him once I was up and feeling better. And one text from Justine that simply said: Call me.

I rolled my eyes. I was absolutely done with her. I had nothing more to say. I didn't care who she was with or who she was fucking. I didn't give a shit anymore.

I deleted her text, lied back against the pillows on the couch-bed that had become mine, and called Harry.

***A/N***

So sorry for the slow update! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment! xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 106 60
April was your A+ student, always doing well in school. When a new kid arrives at her college she finds him starring at her. It starts off ruff with...
48K 589 73
Paislee Martin Is an eighteen year old girl, who just finished high school. Every year, for one month during summertime, she goes to California to se...
451K 8.5K 52
Reina Higgins spent most of her life under the watchful eye of her father, being trained who to love and who to stay away from. When she turned twent...
24.5K 703 139
FInally landing her dream internship, Rowan Emerson sparks the interest of the mysterious Harry Styles.