Chapter 27

By the time Penny got home, I had begun to feel as close to normal as I had all week. Still, something had been gnawing at my brain all day. I couldn't seem to shake it.

I stood in the bathroom, my birth control pills in my hand. Could I be pregnant? In all the time I'd been on the pill, even back when James and I were still having sex regularly, I'd never once considered it could be possible. And I still knew there was a very, very slim chance I was. I'd never skipped a pill. My periods were always regular. In fact, I...

I counted my pills again, counting the days backwards in my head. I was due for another period in a few days. If I was in any way pregnant, and what I had been feeling was...God forbid...morning sickness, it sure seemed to happen quickly. Weren't you supposed to at least skip a period first before the signs began to show?

I took a deep breath and swallowed hard. I supposed I could wait until next week and see if I got my period. I dropped my pills back in my toiletry bag, and sauntered into the kitchen where Penny was making dinner.

"You really should allow me to do something, Penny," I commented. "I feel like a guest here, and I don't want that."

"Don't be silly," she argued. "I'm not asking you to cook when you've been sick. How are you feeling, by the way?"

"Much better, actually," I said. "Except..."

Penny raised her head from the pot she was stirring. "Except what?"

I debated for a second whether I wanted to confess my worry with Penny. She was the one who had asked me after all. But instead, I shook my head, deciding to take a different approach.

"Nothing," I answered, leaning against the counter. "I'm just not looking forward to signing those papers. But I know I need to get it done."

Penny nodded. "If you need help with anything, baby doll, just ask. Or if you want me to leave you the hell alone, say so."

I grinned at her, taking a cup towel and wringing it in my hands.

"Penny..." I started.

"Yes?"

"Do you want kids?"

Penny stopped stirring and lowered the setting on the burner before turning to me.

"I'm not sure," she replied. "Maybe someday. It's just...right now I don't really see it on the agenda, you know?"

I nodded. "What about Zack?"

"What about him?"

"Does he want kids?"

Penny chuckled. "Zack is twenty-one. I can't imagine him being a father."

"Ever?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well...I wouldn't say ever," said Penny with a shrug. "To be honest, we haven't discussed it. We haven't been going out that long."

I bit my lip and nodded again. I had to remind myself how quickly my romance with Harry had begun. We'd barely known each other three months. Three months! How could any sane person go through all I'd been through in that short amount of time?

"Yeah..." I mused. "I suppose it is a little soon to be discussing kids."

Penny turned to open the refrigerator door and stopped, slamming it shut.

"Tisa!" she exclaimed. "Are you...?!?!"

"No!" I shook my head. "I mean...I don't think so...shit, I don't know!"