Her Royal Pen Pal

By Candle_Ice

When Elise Van Hastening got a request to chat with 'prince_charming01,' she never expected him to be the rea... More

[Blurp]
Prologue
Chapter 1 [Making a Move]
Chapter 2 [An Eventful Meeting]
Chapter 3 [The Unusual Proposal]
Chapter 4 [Not Only In Dreams]
Chapter 5 [the Phone call]
Chapter 6 [Everyone's Talking...]
Chapter 7 [First Date!]
Chapter 8 [The Front Page Picture]
Chapter 9 [Everyone's talking... Again]
Chapter 10 [Dinner and A Ball Gown]
Chapter 11 [His Royal Evil-ness]
Chapter 12 [By King's Decree]
Chapter 13 [Meeting His Family]
Chapter 13.5 [a Slight Case of Melancholy]
Chapter 14 [The Meeting With Randolph]
Chapter 15 [Protocol and Family Secrets]
Chapter 16 [An Unexpected Turn of Events]
Chapter 16.5 [Explanation about Leah]
Chapter 17 [The Ball: Part 1]
Chapter 18 [The Ball: Part 2]
Chapter 19 [Doubts and Surprises]
Chapter 20 [Confessions]
Chapter 21 [A Week of Confinement]
Chapter 22 [This Betrothal Issue]
Chapter 23 [Prison Break]
Chapter 24 [A Nicer Elder]
Chapter 25 [Erland's Visitor]
Chapter 26 [Three Month Mensiversary]
Chapter 27 [Bye, Bye Erland!]
Chapter 28 [The Royal Girlfriend]
Chapter 30 [An Invitation to (Re)Treat]
Chapter 31 [3 words, 8 letters... 1 meaning]
Chapter 32 [Young Love ;)]
Chapter 33 [An Eventful Afternoon]
Chapter 34 [Speculations!]
Chapter 35 [A Pleasant Surprise]
Chapter 36 [Celebrations]
Chapter 37 [Minor Details]
Epilogue [Ever, Ever After]

Chapter 29 [The Third Wheel]

184K 2.5K 154
By Candle_Ice

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[A/N: Unedited! I only proof read this once, so there is a 99.9 % chance I missed a lot of typos and grammatical errors ...will get them all later.. plz ignore for now =) Thanks!]

Chapter 29

Leonidas was fairly certain of a lot of things; and fairly uncertain about a lot of other things as well.

Life was full of these uncertainties, but that didn’t mean he had to like them; especially when they concerned his feelings, and accompanied every single one of his certainties.

For instance, he was certain he liked Elise. What he was uncertain about, was whether or not he was already in love with her. That was a foreign feeling he had no wish to examine at the moment. The internal debate of that issue had him spinning in circles, and a Prince does not spin around in circles!

He was also certain he was going to ask her to marry him, eventually. He just had to show her that though she’ll be a Princess bride, her goals can still be achieved, and that she can still graduate from university. How he’ll achieve that, on the other hand, was an uncertainty.

Like he said, he was certain of some things and other things… not so much.

Being a member of the Royal family was much more that glitz and glamour, especially when you’re King and Queen. The entire country will be their responsibility and everyone will look to them for guidance in many areas.

He was certain Elise had the ability to be his perfect companion on the throne. She was young, but he was also certain that with the aid of his mother, she’ll be guided along the right path of what to expect on the journey as Queen.

His uncertainty to accompany that certainty: Whether or not she’ll still want to stick around after she’s fully introduced to the responsibilities that being the Queen entails; the ‘Royal Do’s and Don’ts’ as his mother calls it.

Queen Lucilla was around the same age as Elise when she began to take on Royal Duties, so Leonidas was certain that Elise can pull it off. She was strong and determined, just like his mother.

But then again, Lucilla had been around the Royal family her whole life. Elise was somewhat new to the Royal scene. Hence, his uncertainty on how she’ll cope.

He was giving himself a headache going back and forth with all these ‘certain/uncertain’ thoughts.

One thing was for certain though, (and without any uncertainty, thank heavens!) Elise was waiting for him in the Queen’s day room. 

They had hardly spoken since the polo match, four days ago, and he thought it was about time she had an education in royalties past, by showing her the palace’s room of portraits from Kings and Queens long gone, and telling her a bit about the protocol of it all. Plus, he’ll be able to spend some alone time with her, which seems to be a rarity, seeing as Accra monopolises much of Elise’s free time these days.  

So much so, that Leonidas was only half surprised to see his grandmother chatting away with Elise as she waited for him. The two were standing by the window, engrossed in their conversation, and laughing softly, that he was halfway in the room before they were aware of his presence.

“Hello grandmother, glad to see you’ve kept Ellie’s company as she waited for me,” Leonidas said to them, as he came up and wrapped an arm around Elise’s middle.

“No bother, grandson,” Accra smiled knowingly.

Accra was very much aware of the fact that Leonidas was getting wary of how she was dominating Elise’s company of lately. The thought had her smiling broadly. She was getting a Royal wedding sooner, rather than later, by any means necessary. And keeping a close eye on the Royal Couple was the ideal way of assuring this!

“I guess we’ll be on our way, now,” Leonidas said casually, “and we’ll leave you be, grandmother.”

“Oh, I have nothing to do at the moment, why don’t I join the tour,” Accra perked up, “I can offer my services as tour guide, I mean I’ve been in this palace long enough to know more about our family history than you, haven’t I? It should be put to good uses.”

“That’s a wonderful idea,” Elise piqued up, leaving Leonidas’ side-embrace.

Leonidas scowled at his grandmother, his expression clearly showing that it wasn’t that wonderful of an idea. Accra just smiled and took Elise’s hand, leading her out the room. The Crown Prince had no other alternative than to walk behind the two, and watch as they animatedly went through the ground floor, while he silently fumed, and added in his two cents from time to time.

Whilst Elise was examining the portraits of all the past Royals, Leonidas made a discreet move and pulled Accra aside to have a word.

“Grandmother, I think I should continue the tour with Elise, alone, I mean, I wouldn’t want you to have to go through any history that would stir up old, unwanted memories,” he prompted hopefully.

Accra was always quick to pick up on a hint, and Leonidas was hinting heavily at the moment, but she just chose to ignore it.

“I don’t mind, thoughtful Prince,” Accra beamed at him.

Leonidas sighed, “Okay, what do I have to do to spend some time with Elise. Just the two of us?”

“You know what,” Accra pointed out with an arc of her left eye brow.

“I’m not proposing to her today,” he hissed.

“Then you don’t need the privacy,” Accra smiled, as though that settled the matter, “in my days, a boy and a girl, could not be left alone together unless they were formally engaged to be married.”

“You’re going to play that card?” Leonidas asked incredulously.

“Until you propose, yes!” Accra smiled innocently and scampered back to Elise’s side like a watchdog protecting the maiden from the big, bad wolf.

As they explored more and more portraits, Leonidas was becoming more and more irritable with Accra, to which Elise was, (or at least pretending to be) oblivious as she and Accra continued to chat and wander about.

They had finished looking over the portraits and were in the formal ballroom, which took up most of the entire east wing’s ground floor, when Thane sauntered upon them. Leonidas watched as his friend casually strolled in, eating an apple.

“For a Prince, you sure look pitiful,” Thane observed, munching loudly on his apple.

Leonidas didn’t much appreciate his friend’s good mood right now, seeing as he was bordering on hysteria himself. Not even bothering to answer Thane, Leonidas just shrugged and watched as Elise stood in awe under the huge, crystal chandelier that graced the ceiling, above the middle of the dance floor.

But Thane didn’t need an answer. He took one look at Leonidas, and glanced at Accra and Elise, and added one and one together to get three, and decided that a third wheel needed extracting. Taking another bite of his apple, Thane nonchalantly went over to the other two.

Leonidas, accustomed to Thane being his troubleshooter, also sauntered over.

“Hey there, you two,” Thane greeted them.

“Thane, can you believe the size of this chandelier?” Elise asked, still mesmorised by the vast magnificence of it, that she didn’t even spare a glance to Thane.

He didn’t mind though, he was there to talk to Accra. About what, he was yet to think up, but he had to come up with something, fast!

“Accra, my darling, I’m glad I ran into you,” Thane said, giving her his best ‘aw-shucks-I’m-such-a-nice-innocent-boy’ grin.

“What is it, my dear boy?” Accra asked, buying into Thane’s whole innocent act.

“The caterers,” He sighed ruefully.

Caterers? Leonidas thought ruefully. Seriously, Thane, that’s the best you can do??

 “Caterers?” Accra asked, almost echoing Leonidas’ thoughts.

“Leonidas’ birthday ball. The menu. It’s just so messed up. Not at all what you planned out,” Thane sighed dramatically, “Now they’re offering replacement meals, instead of the original ones picked out.”

“That will not do at all,” Accra said, “Come, we must deal with this. Hmphh, the ball is a little more than two months away and they want to spoil my preparations. This will not do at all. Not at all!”

“I know, after you worked so hard to make this ball special for your grandson,” Thane added incredulously, as if it were the crime of the century.  

Luckily Accra was already on her way from the ballroom, and missed Thane’s wink to Leonidas, as he followed Her Royal Elder out, still munching on his apple.

“I thought the kitchen staff was supposed to plan menus,” Elise pondered to Leonidas.

“They usually do, but Accra has taken the liberty of planning my entire 25th birthday bash. I must tell you, I am a little scared of what she has planned, but she’s like a child in a candy store, so I allow her free reins. She’s been itching to plan something big for a while now,” he related to her.

“I know,” Elise smiled at him, “She’s been hinting heavily at me about a Royal you-know-what, since the polo match.”

“Only since the polo match for you? It’s been longer than that for me,” Leonidas commented.

“Ouch, poor you,” she sympathised.

He realised two things at that moment: One, This was the first time they had broached the subject of an impending Royal Wedding, moreover, their Royal Wedding; and two, Accra had finally left them alone.

He was uncertain of how long she’ll stay away from them once she realised that Thane was just distracting her and there wasn’t a problem with any menu. But he was certain that he could avoid her, it’s such a big place, she’ll have a hell of a time finding them if she didn’t know where to look.

 Leonidas took Elise hand in his and led her out the ballroom, she didn’t say anything, but she did throw him a questioning look, to which he just smiled and picked up pace to get away.

"And we're hurrying because?" She finally asked.

"Because we don't want Accra to come back and  find us when she realises that Thane is lying," Leonidas related.

"Oh, I see," she replied, and picked up her pace as well.

"Exactly," Leonidas agreed.

There was no way they would risk strolling and give Accra a chance to catch up with them.

Oh yes, Leonidas was uncertain of a lot of things, but he was certain that Accra would not be able to find them again that day.

***

 “Can’t we just go back to the ballroom?” Elise asked Leonidas hopefully, with a bright smile, later that afternoon.

“No,” was his simple, yet firm response.

They had finished an impromptu touring of the west wing and were now in the stables as he promised to take her for a ride on his horse.

Dreading her comment on how beautiful his horse was at the polo match, Elise reluctantly donned the riding boots the stable boy had handed her. When she made that particular statement, she didn’t except to actually meet the creature, much less ride him. Her, in fact; Leonidas’ horse was a female.

She took a moment to admire him gently smoothing the magnificent mare, by running a hand over her midnight black hair, and couldn’t help thinking of the story ‘Black Beauty’ because the horse was a carbon copy of the one she had seen in the movie version. As she approached, she realised that he was whispering gently to the horse.

“And before you ask, yes, she does reply,” Leonidas told Elise playfully, “Don’t you Sahara?”

And indeed, the horse did neigh in reply. Elise felt a little awestruck/ fearsome as she got closer to the very scary looking Sahara.

“She’s very friendly, come on,” Leonidas said, holding out a hand to her.

Though a little skeptical, Elise took the hand he offered and walked the remaining steps that placed her at Leonidas’ side.

“Relax, you’re too tense, there’s nothing to fear,” he coaxed, allowing his free hand to rub encouragingly up and down her other arm.

As if feeling jealous at the lost of the Prince’s affections, Sahara snorted and turned to look at Elise, and she swore the horse’s nostrils flared her anger.

“I don’t think she like me very much,” Elise pointed out dryly.

“Nonsense, Sahara likes everyone,” Leonidas assured her.

She didn’t think so; as she watched the brooding creature twitch her ears, duck her head and fan her tail.

“Just smoothly run your hands over her; get accustomed to her feel,” he prompted.

“What if I touch her wrong, or hurt her,” Elise feared, wanting to leave the stables and forget all about horses.

Sighing, Leonidas didn’t answer and just placed Elise in front of him and took her right hand under his, and gently guided her movement over Sahara.

Entranced with the feel of the horse’s fine hair, and the warm feel emanating from her body, Elise kept up her movements even after Leonidas let go of her hand, and added her left hand to the mix as well. She found herself whispering endearingly to the beautiful Sahara as well, and Leonidas was right, the horse does, indeed, respond.

Sahara was warming up to Elise, and Elise couldn't help but smile at the horse, she was such a beauty.

When it was time to actually get on the horse, her anxiety didn’t last long, as she climbed up, and settled in front of Leonidas, who was already in the saddle. She had to use a stool to climb up though, not trusting the stirrup that Leonidas had used to get up the old fashioned way.

Thanking the stable hand that had provided the stool, Elise sank back into Leonidas' embrace, and settled as he began to guide Sahara in a trot, holding the reins and headed past the palace gates to the forest behind it. As the pace picked up, and began to canter, she shut her eyes and clamped onto Leonidas’ hands.

He just chuckled and coaxed her to open her eyes. And when she did, she was glad. There was nothing quite like riding a horse, the freedom, the tranquility. Watching as the surroundings just became a magical blur, all the while secured in a warm embrace.

Goosebumps rose on her skin, and she smiled as the canter moved to a gallop. She now got why Leonidas told her she had to experience riding a horse for herself. And having to sit with him behind her wasn't so bad, she smile wryly.

“You were right, I do like this,” she told him, when he had finally slowed down, and Sahara was slowly trotting along the marked path between the trees.

“See, now, your riding lessons will not be so feared,” He pointed out, and placed a small kiss on her shoulder.

“What riding lessons?” Elise stiffened.

But Leonidas didn’t answer; he just shrugged and told her to hold on. Elise squealed joyfully as he once again began a face pace. All thoughts of riding lesson were forgotten, for the time being at least, as the two enjoyed their afternoon together, sans the watchful Accra..

***

“Thane Alexander, you are the most insufferable young man I’ve ever met,” Accra fumed.

Thane just shot her a bright smile, to which she just glared.

Of course there was no emergency with the menus, and Accra was more upset with the fact that they pulled a fast one on her than she was at her not being able to keep tabs on Leonidas and Elise. She still couldn't believe that she fell for one of Thane's tricks. The boy was too charmingly coaxing for his own good!

“My apologies, darling,” Thane offered with a dramatic bow in her direction.

“Don’t sass me, Thane,” Accra rebuked him.

He just used his hand to show the gesture of zipping his mouth, before saluting her. They both knew that he wasn’t in any trouble with her, but Accra would somehow get back at him.

“Come on darling, I meant no harm,” Thane pleaded, flashing her with all his charm, “The lovebirds just needed some time alone.”

“If there is a delay with my plans for a proposal, you will pay heavily, Thane Alexander!” Accra warned, though without any real conviction.

Sighing, Thane just wallowed in the fact that he bemused Her Royal Elder. Score: Thane 1 Accra 0. But his small victory was short lived. 

“I think I need help with the planning of this birthday ball,” Accra murmured after a moment of silence; a sudden thought coming to her.

She smiled, and Thane narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

“I have a feeling you’re not hoping for a volunteer in me,” he surmised from her playful smile.

“No, I think I’ll give Catie a call,” she said, to which Thane gulped, “You know, I haven’t seen her since the betrothal was broken, and she’s such a lovely young lady. I’m thinking I’ll invite her to stay a while in the palace. You never know, she might stay long enough to help me plan a wedding.”

Thane threw Accra a dubious look.

“Oh, the Royal wedding, of course, unless you’re thinking something more personal? No? Well then,” Accra added, and left Thane standing there pole axed.   

Thane could not believe it. He watched Accra leave the room, and wondered how he could have lost the war when the battle was so stylishly won?

He hadn’t seen Catie since the day he and Leonidas had paid her a visit to tell her the story behind her father and Erland. He wasn’t able to keep from thinking about her though, and now Accra will make sure they will be in each other’s company, he was sure of it.

Bloody perfect! Accra could be as persistent as a tooth ache, and there is no doubt that by any means necessary, Catie will be a guest in the palace soon.

Thane couldn’t help thinking that he should have kept his nose in his own business, and left Accra with the Royal couple. Now she had her match making antennas tingling and it’s pointed in his direction.

Recalling how Accra is ruthless in her pursuit for Leonidas to propose, Thane cursed his steps into the ballroom earlier that brought him in Accra’s wrath.

He also knew that Leonidas and Elise were a hair strand away from becoming engaged, and that meant that Accra will soon have more time to work on him.

Oh yes, I’m totally screwed. Thane thought bitterly. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

468K 1.9K 60
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
484 69 5
Ally Khrystn aka Alisha Khystn Sophia Wyatt, enjoys her job in Target. After all, who would ever suspect the daughter of one of America's biggest tyc...
37.7K 1.2K 27
⚠︎English is not my first or main language so expect that there are grammar errors⚠︎ This is my first time making my own story so don't judge (•̀ᴗ•́)...
The Last Dance By xoStardust

Historical Fiction

21M 244K 36
Prince John's biggest fear? Becoming King, and everything to do with it, from the sheltered life, to someday having to get married. Celia, a lady kni...