Vainglory

By AngelicProductions

She was a damned soul in an angelic body with a reputation so vile it is nearly unbelievable. Existing in a c... More

Chapter One: The Arrival
Chapter Two: Tailored Life
Chapter Three: Confessions of a Countess
Chapter Four: Tasks of a Maiden
Chapter Five: Stained
Chapter Six: Conscience
Chapter Seven: Ichor
Chapter Eight: Proximity
Chapter Nine: Her Idiosyncrasy
Chapter Ten: Right Set of Circumstances
Chapter Eleven: Rumor
Chapter Twelve: Smoke and Mirrors
Chapter Thirteen: Revelation
Chapter Fourteen: Consequence of Actions
Chapter Fifteen: Guilt On One's Hands
Chapter Sixteen: Discovery of the Past
Chapter Seventeen: Masking Insanity
Chapter Eighteen: Written Upon Stone
Chapter Nineteen: Oubliette
Chapter Twenty: Red Herring
Chapter Twenty One: Tip of the Iceberg
Chapter Twenty Two: Between the Lines
Chapter Twenty Three- Flames Abound
Chapter Twenty Four: Dangerous Liaisons
Chapter Twenty Five: Something Wicked
Chapter Twenty Six: Pandora
Chapter Twenty Seven: Imprisonment
Chapter Twenty Eight: Seeing Red
Chapter Thirty: Breakout
Chapter Thirty One- Reunited
Chapter Thirty Two: Journey
Chapter Thirty Three: The Hunt
Chapter Thirty Four: Smoke From Ashes
Chapter Thirty Five: Scars
Chapter Thirty Six- Binding Blessings
Chapter Thirty Seven- Troth
Chapter Thirty Eight- The Raid
Chapter Thirty Nine- The Trial
Chapter Forty- The Tower

Chapter Twenty Nine- By the Blade

13 3 0
By AngelicProductions

"Mom?" Annabelle asked with tears in her eyes. She was ignored by Bathory who had Annabelle suspended from the ceiling with her head pointed towards the floor. Dorothea came in a few moments later and assisted with the moments that followed. She used alcohol and boiled water to sterilize the tools, making a comment on how she wanted Annabelle to die from her hand and not by the infection of others.

"This room was crafted to me by my husband for a wedding present. Although we were married young, we loved each other's darkness and basked in the knowledge that we could trust one another. But then I met another. One whom loved me with everything I was...I was quite different back than. Naive, eager, innocent, untainted..." Bathory moved to her tools and picked up the one that looked like a metal arrow. Moving it across Annabelle's skin, she winced to the cold instrument before having the tip hit against her body. The sharp end began to cut her skin similar to that of a papercut, just enough to aggravate but not life threatening.

"I was stupid enough to love someone below me. Whom struggled with money their entire lives. Ferenc discovered our relationship and had him killed. Or so he thought. A very dedicated man in my life whom admired me with his entire heart gave his life so I could save the man I love. Ferenc believed he killed this man-the one who truly had my heart..." She traced her finger upon the cut along Annabelle's body before taking the blood and sucking it clean.

"It was not until four years later, that I saw him again. I was married, not happily, bored each day I awoke and miserable going to bed. I was unable to give Ferenc a child-an heir...and for this, he tortured me by having me clean the dirty floors and forcefully take me to bed...otherwise i was to be whipped...I had little choice. He had an affair with a young girl whom I later discovered was my lover's daughter. She was just a child and he took her life as if it was an enemy of his. I left him then. I reconnected with my love and we spent many nights together. A month in time I believe. But it was discovered by Ferenc he had not died to begin with. To protect him, I had to make him hate me so I explained how I never loved him. It had been a lie-the biggest one I had told."

She took another tool from the table before placing it over the fire which she had Dorothea lit. The instrument was long and circular on each end. One end held a flat circular object which burned red as it was lit hot. With a sinister smile, Elizabeth would look at the red end and then back to Annabelle who began to feel defeated. Terrified of what was to come, she closed her eyes before hearing a knock upon the door just before Elizabeth placed the hot poker against Annabelle. Letting out a groan, she moved to the door to find it to be Ficzko. She opened the door and stood outside of it but not before Annabelle could overhear them.

"It is nice to see you are able to walk on your own."

"It appears only my left eye is the one incredibly damaged. I can see from the other one."

"I did not mean to interrupt your Majesty..." He said with a bow before noticing a girl was suspended. He moved into the room as Bathory moved aside before seeing it was Annabelle. He looked to her as if she were a prize waiting to be claimed. He moved his hands upon her body before she shifted away from him which caused more pain on her limbs as her entire body weight fought against her.

"We will have great joy with you...' He said with a sinister smile as his eye was almost a cloudy white and red around it, making him look like a demonic being. His cripple became less noticeable as he claimed Dorothea gave him herbs that assisted in his walk and back.

"Leave us." Elizabeth asked as Dorothea and Ficzko left in unison. When the door shut, Elizabeth moved to her as she hung at her height. She ran her hand upon her cheek before looking into her eyes.

"You see...Gabrell was was that that I fell in love with as a child. When my heart began to turn dark, he could sense it. He left me without trying to fix me. Dorka helped in him returning to me...but she betrayed me by not telling me of his vows to another. She paid for it...by giving you up. She had admired your friendship and the one even more with Hans. I find it quite sad that everyone must lie..."

"Including you." Annabelle said as her voice was raspy.

"Yes. I did lie. But to protect the man I loved."

"I do not mean with him. With me."

"When I was fourteen I had fallen pregnant. Conceived with a peasant, my parents gave me the choice to either have him killed or to give the child up. It was the hardest moment I had ever had to accomplish... I went with the baby and saw the family in which it was gifted. A family who was barren-empty and thankful for my generosity."

"That child was me..." Annabelle said as she was losing consciousness.

Elizabeth nodded as she walked across the room and retrieved the poker which had cooled from its absence from heat.

"I had lost you as the family had left. The wife had died about fourteen years later. It was then, I wanted my child returned. I sent my most trusted to obtain all the female children from every home-royal or otherwise. As I learned from Gabrell, wealth can come from many things including luck and inheritance."

"You have other children-"

"From a man who forced me to do so....But the years I waited for my returned daughter...I developed a darkness. One in which Gabrell always feared I would act on. He accused me for his daughter's murder and I decided then to be what I am now; The Countess who is feared as respect has only earned me betrayal..."

Annabell's eyes fell increasingly heavy as she struggled to stay awake. Due to her position, the blood had been rushing to her head. She watched as Elizabeth left the room before she lost consciousness.

"Psst!" A whisper called to Annabelle who slowly opened her eyes. Upon seeing Dorothea, she moved to try to hit her before seeing how she appeared different. Aside from awfully guilty or over confident, Dorothea had a look that surprised Annabelle. "You need to wake up."

"What for?"

"I want to help you."

"Why would I trust you? You have given me no reason to."

"I understand. Believe me please."

"Leave! I do not need your help-"

"I want to give you one night with him. One more night to be with him...to have him hold you."

"That is cruel to have only one night."

"It gives you the chance to say goodbye. One of you will escape this. But not together. It is far too dangerous and far too difficult."

"Instead of placing the effort on one night? Why not help us escape?"

"I have tried. She has connections and ties into everything."

"If you truly mean what you say...cut me down."

Dorothea moved to the ropes that held her up and untied them, sending her to her feet.

"Did you know about the connection? That I am her daughter?"

She nodded.

"Why did you not say anything?"

"I figured it was best you did not know."

"For me or for you?"

"For you of course. My position here is fragile. I have upset her in more ways then I would like to admit. I have nothing to go back to. But I want to make things right-at least the best that I can..."

"He believes me dead-on YOUR idea..."

"I had to make Bathory trust in me again...."

"What does she have on you that makes you stay at her side? What is it-" Suddenly Annabelle held her hand over her mouth. "You're in love with her..."

"Of course not!"

"That is why you won't leave. It isn't that you can't...you won't...."

"You are mad...."

"Why do you care for her in such a way? She is dark-"

"She was not always. She showed me mercy as she has shown you...But I have seen how the light that used to linger has faded. That is why I want to make things right. I used to believe everything she had done was for a good reason-Now I see I just told myself that to justify that."

"Have you spoken to Hans?"

She shook her head. "He has stayed locked in his chambers for the past week..."

"If you truly want to help me, you can start by explaining this all."

"How so?"

"How I ended up here. Why me?"

"She discovered her child survived and wanted to find her. She named her Anna but it is an incredibly common name. The child she birthed was named Anna Belle Sforza Bathory. I see now how it was you."

"Why would she harm Gabrell?"

"When she is hurt, she lashes out on those she loves. Maybe that is the reason I am unharmed...She does not care for me more than a set of hands to help or my knowledge for medicine."

"And why would you only tell Hans of the poison use to harm Ficzko?"

"To protect him. She only knows a servant began aggravated against him. She threw boiling water onto him which caused the boils. He himself cannot remember completely what happened."

"Give me one reason, above all, why I should trust you."

"Because you have only one option. One that will make you survive..."

"How are we going to do this?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 45.1K 31
❗️MATURE CONTENTS! BEWARE ❗️ Elizabeth is a 24 year old nurse, he work is her passion. Until she is kidnapped and forced to safe a mans life.. Littl...
1.9K 343 42
In the sleepy town of Slaughtavery, all is not as it seems. In 1745, boys began to disappear, leaving no trace behind. The town was trapped in a hush...
102 0 26
I inhaled her scent, making sure she wasn't on anything that I wouldn't want in my system, letting the sweet scent of her blood call to my hidden fan...
1.2K 347 29
She was just a normal girl, Then her world shattered. The death of her mother : who looks and deceives even her own daughter to think she was human. ...