The Dragon Riders

By ageofthewriters

Jason Mead is a normal sixteen-years-old, who thought his grandpa's stories were only that stories. But he fo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
chapter 2
Chapter 3
chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter 16
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18

Chapter 5

1.2K 16 4
By ageofthewriters

Chapter 5:

My dream started like this

I was standing in at the edge of a pit. The wind crashing against my face. whooshing passed my ears and making my hair fly wildly everywhere. There were storm clouds in front of me, covering the top of the mountains. And I could see the thunder and lightning boomed from the far. It looks like there was going to be a great storm.

I felt something heavy in my hand. When I looked at my hand I saw it was a sword. It was beautiful and felt perfectly balanced in my hand. There were diamonds encrust in the hilt. The blade was three foot long and looked very sharp. It was a beautiful sword, but I didn't know why I was holding it.

My whole body felt heavy too. Like if I just got thousand pounds on me. I looked at my body and saw I was wearing a brown armor chest Roman style and with elbow pads and knee pads too. It felt heavy, but I knew it was more safer to used them.

I looked back at the mountain and noticed for the first time the clouds were spinning around the top of the mountain. I knew for sure that there was something very powerful at the top and that sent chills down my spine.

Jason, the army is ready” A sweet voice said behind me. I knew that voice anywhere. When I turn around my suspicious were right. It was Anastasia. She was wearing blue jeans and a pink shirt under a armor with her pink converse. I got to admit that she look pretty than ever. “We are ready to go”

OK, I'll be there in a minute” I replied.

Are you Ok?” Anastasia asked walking beside me.

Yeah, just... thinking”

Don't worry, everything will be fine”

Then my dream shift to another place.

I was in the middle of a battle, there were weird creatures fighting around me. I saw a dude with a black bull's head fighting with a two bladed ax. He was fighting against another creature with a falcon's head and the body of lion.

I on the other hand was fighting a man with a long beard and the size of a kid of seven or eight year with a two blade ax way to big for him, but he moved the ax like if it wasn't heavy. For some reason I knew that he was dwarf. After I cut his left leg the Dwarf fall dropping his ax. I walked to another enemy that had a sword and started fighting him.

This one had pointed ears and nose. Long blonde hair under a helmet. He was wearing a brown armor. He was good, I was having a hard time fighting him, but I was doing good so far. I was so in to the fight that I didn't noticed the creature behind me with a knife. When I, finally, saw it I was to late to defended me, I turned to the creature, but he just stabbed me with the knife on the stomach. I cried in pain and dropped to my knees. I heard my friends called and yelled my name, but I just fall face first to the floor. Everything around me was moving slowly. I saw monsters and elves fighting each others and then BAM! Only darkness, coldness and silent.

Then my dream shift again.

I was in a cave. It was dark and wet all around me. There was stalactites in the roof of the cave that were shining. It would have being beautiful, but the place radiate way to much evil and power that make me want to run out of there, but I couldn't it was if like I was glued to the floor.

So you are here, young rider?” A metallic voice asked, “Apparently your powers let you dream about the future and go to other places while you are sleeping”

What?” I asked confused. I got powers? I can see the future? What does him mean by that? I don't have powers, I mean I'm just a kid!

Seems like you didn't know you have powers” The voice laughed, “Well, sadly for you and your friends. You won't be able to use them.”

What do you mean?” I asked.

I got a surprise for you four under my scales” The voice said laughing. The laugh of that voice was like knifes being sharpened against rocks. I felt a chill ran down my back again and shivered.

The last thing I remember from that dream is that horrible laugh.

I woke up gasping for air and sweating cold. I looked around and saw that I was in my room, on my bed. Then I remembered the knife and the creature stabbing me and lift my shirt to see that there was nothing on my stomach. No blood, no scared, nothing. I sighed in relief and laid back down again.

I looked to my nightstand and saw that it was three o'clock in the morning. I groaned and lay back again. I didn't want to go back to sleep, fearing that I would dream with that horrible voice again. But after ten minutes later I felt my eyes closing and then I went to sleep.

I woke up again by the sound of my alarm. I didn't dream about that voice again. But I still had shivers every time I remembered it. I went to my bathroom and washed my face and went to take a good thirty minutes cold shower to wake me up.

After the cold awesome shower. I put some blue jeans and a plain white t-shirt and walked out of my room. I climbed down the stairs and went to the kitchen.

My grandpa was seating on the chair next to the window reading his newspaper as usual while drinking his cup of coffee.

“Hey, Grandpa” I greeted, sitting on the chair in front of him. The morning was a little cold, but perfect. The sunlight entering through the opened window, illuminating the whole kitchen. The wind sending the smell of blossoms through the window.

“Hey, Jason” Grandpa replied, still reading his newspaper. “Ready to go camping?”

“Yeah, I have all my stuffs packed last night”

“Good, we are leaving after I finish some stuffs” Grandpa said.

“Oh, ok” I replied, “Where are mom and dad?”

“They got to leave early” I just looked down. They never wait for me to said goodbye. They are always going on trips. I know they are doing it to give me a better future, but I rather have them expend more time with me.

“Don't worry, son. They'll be back soon” My Grandpa said, trying to reassured me. “But let's go, because I need to do somethings, before we go camping and if we want to get camp settle before night we need to hurry”

“Ok, Grand, but I just need to eat breakfast.”

“Ok, I'll go get a shower, while you eat breakfast” Grandpa replied.

“OK” I said and grabbed a bow and cereal. I poured some milk and started eating.

When I finished Grandpa entered the kitchen, wearing his squared blue and white long sleeve button up shirt and blue jeans and working boots. He looked like a farmer, even though, he had never being or live in a farm. He always want to, but never go the chance.

“Ready?” Grandpa asked. I just nodded and went to get my stuffs from my room. I took my backpack and slung it over my shoulder.

“Ready, to leave Grand” I said walking back to the kitchen.

“Ok, go tell your Grandma we are leaving” Grandpa said picking his and my backpack and walked out of the kitchen.

I walked to the back yard and saw my Grandma was attending her garden. She always love flowers and all that gardening things. Her gray long hair was waving freely under her gardening hat protecting her from the sunlight. She was digging a hole to put a new plant. She was wearing a flowered long dress and green gloves.

“Morning Grandma” I said walking to her.

“Oh, morning Jason” She replied, “You are up so early”

“Yeah, we are going to camp today” I said smiling. “And Grandpa sent me to tell you that we are leaving”

“Oh, that's great, sweetie” Grandma said, “Have a great time and be careful”

“Yeah, Grandma, we'll be”

“Ok” Grandma said kissing my cheek. “And stay out of troubles”

“Yeah, I promise we'll stay out of them” I promised, but man I was wrong and if I knew what was coming, I have never promised her that.

I walked to Grandpa's truck and climbed in the shotgun seat.

“Ok, ready” I said. Grandpa just nodded and started to drive. We went to Mr. Wilson's store to buy some food for the trip and somethings my Grandpa needed to build something for my Grandma's garden.

“Hello, Frederick” Mr. Wilson greeted.

“Hey, Wilson” Grandpa replied.

“Are you coming to the poker night today?”

“Sorry, I can't” Grandpa said, “I'm taking Jason and his friends camping”

“Oh, that's good” Mr. Wilson said, looking at me. “Are you ready to have fun Jason?”

“Yeah, sir”

“Well, we should be leaving now” Grandpa said paying for the stuffs we bought.

We picked the twins and Naomi at twelve o'clock. We were on our way to the woods by two o'clock.

When we arrived the forest it was four o'clock. We only got three or so hours of daylight. It took us forever to get there. One, because my Grandpa drives very slowly and two, because Dustin wanted to go to the restroom three or four times on our way to the woods.

“Ok, here we are!” Grandpa exclaimed stretching as he got out of the car.

It took us a hour settle camp. One because the twins were fighting about how to settle the tent and two because were doing it in a hurry, because we wanted to go get the dragons out of that cave. The problem was we didn't know how to take them with us, without grandpa find out about them. I didn't want to know what grandpa would do if he find out about them or his reaction.

“Well, we are done settling camp” Grandpa said sitting on a old trunk we found and used as a chair. “Anyone is hungry?”

“Yeah, we are” Naomi said as her stomach growled. Her face started to getting pink. We all started laughing.

“I think I heard a bear or something” Dustin tease making Naomi punched him hard on the shoulder. “Ow!”

“You deserve that for being a jerk” Anastasia said laughing.

“Thanks sis, love you too” Dustin replied sarcastically rubbing his shoulder. I just laughed and sat on the trunk. We still got like two or so hours of daylight. That was enough time to go get the dragons and hid them near our camp behind some bushes.

“Well, I'll make dinner” Grandpa said chuckling about the twins' little fight.

“Ok, Grandpa” Anastasia said smiling.

“It'll be ready in about half an hour” He said.

“Can we go for a walk?” I asked him. Hoping he would let us, then get the dragons bring them here and hide them, and then wake up early in the morning and hide them on his truck. But man, I should now by now that most of the time I'm wrong and this one wasn't the exception.

“Sure, just come back and don't get lost” Grandpa said staring a fire.

“Ok, thanks Grandpa” Everyone, even Naomi said. She was getting used to called him grandpa too. He didn't care, he likes to be called that by my friends. Why? I don't know, maybe because he just got me as a grandchild and I don't have any siblings and he felt happy that I have such a great friends that I like as siblings. I slung my backpack on my shoulder and walked away from camp.

We walked toward the waterfall again and swam back to the cave. Anastasia wanted us to waited for them there, but I think she was afraid that I could drown this time.

“Jason, we should wait here” Anastasia said, “You know to make sure no one come”

“Who would come? We are in the middle of nowhere and is almost night” Dustin replied for me.

“We don't know” She replied glaring at Dustin.

“Oh my god! Is that Jack the Ripper stalking us behind those bushes!” Dustin said sarcastically laughing. “Come on, no one is going to come Ana”

“Sometimes I think you have the body of a sixteen year old, but the mind of a three years old” Anastasia said annoyed and walked away. Naomi sighed and punched Dustin on the shoulder and followed Anastasia.

I just stared at Dustin. He saw me staring at him and said innocently “What?”.

“You know what, man” I said.

“Oh, come on” Dustin whined, “You know you want to come too”

“Yeah, but that doesn't mean you can go all Mr. Sarcasm with Ana”

“Ok, sorry. I'll promise to apologize”

“Yeah, you should” I said.

We wait for the girls a little, until we saw them coming. Anastasia was blushing and Naomi was grinning.

'I wonder what they talked about' I thought.

“Hey, ready to go?” Naomi asked smiling widely. Anastasia didn't meet my eyes or looked at me either. I didn't know why she was acting like that I just shrugged it off.

“Yeah, are you ok?” I asked Anastasia. She just nodded still not looking at me. I just sighed and started walking to the water.

“I'm sorry, sis” I heard Dustin said.

“Don't worry” Anastasia replied.

We dive in the water and swam to the cave. This time I didn't drown or anything, I was relief with that...for the moment. We found the rope we used the day before, when we found the cave and followed to the cave room where the dragons were. The fireflies things were shining blue this time. They looked pretty, but we didn't came here to see them.

Guys! They are back!” We heard Arion's yelled in our heads. We all laughed at his excitement.

Arion, would you stop! You look like a kid” Maya scolded him. I just rolled my eyes, they really act like their owners.

Maybe, because I am still a kid!” Airon replied, “Did you guys bring us something to eat?”

“Sorry, we didn't. But we are going to take you guys with us” I said.

Is there any food there?” Arion asked.

Airon! Stop it!” Maya yelled.

Cut it out you two!” Sky scolded them. Airon and Maya didn't say anything and walked to the back part of the cave. “Why didn't you came back yesterday?”

“Sorry, Sky. We couldn't and we convinced my grandpa to bring us today” I replied, “But he doesn't know about you guys, so we are going to hide you and take you with us”

Ok, let's go then!” Amar said cheerfully. “I want to go shopping to the mall!”

“Uh...you can't go to the mall” Naomi said.

Why not?” Amar said with a...well I wanted to believe its a puppy face. “Yes, I can't!”

“No, you can't!”

Yes, I can!”

“No, you can't!”

Yes, I ca –”

“Naomi! Amar! Cut it out!” Sky and I cut them off at the same time.

“Ok” They said glaring at each other and turned to the opposite side. Naomi crossed her arm over her chest and Amar laid her head over her crossing paws. They really have the same attitude.

“Now, let's go” I said.

We swam out of the cave after like ten minutes figuring out how to bring them out of the cave.

Apparently dragons can swim under water for like three or four hours without breathing and they use their wings to swim.

It was night time already. Everything was silent and dark. The night was cold and I shivered as a wind blew from behind me. And being soak wet wasn't helping at all.

After getting out of the water we dried ourselves with the towels we got on my backpack. We walked back to our camp after we were completely dry.

“Ok, guys hide behind this bushes and we'll bring you food in a minute” Anastasia said as we were getting closed to the camp. The dragons nodded and laid down beside a tree.

We walked to the camp and saw my grandpa was cooking sausages and had some hotdogs ready on a plate. I sat on the floor leaning against the trunk in front of the fire.

“Hey, kids” Grandpa greeted, “Dinner is ready!”

“Great, because I'm starving grandpa!” Dustin said sitting closed to the food. We laughed making him looked at us weird. “What? I am hungry!”

“Nothing big brother” Anastasia said laughing.

“Ok, you can grab a plate and get a hotdog” Grandpa said chuckling. “There's cokes in the cooler and the ketchup and mustard are there too”

As Dustin walked to the cooler I heard the bushes beside me moved. I thought it was weird so I stood and went to see what it was. I got the feeling something was watching me at that moment. As I got closer to the bushes they moved again.

“Where are you going Jason?” Anastasia asked, “Your food is going to get cold”

“I can eat it for him” Dustin said.

“Dustin you are eating three hotdogs at the same time!”

“I'm going” I replied still walking toward the bushes. I peeped into the bushes. There was nothing only leafs, dirty, rocks and a little crickets, but then...

I'm hungry!” Arion yelled appearing out of nowhere making me scream and fall on my butt.

“Aah! What the...?” I said.

“Jason! Are you ok, son?” Grandpa asked.

“Yeah, just a um...snake” I lied, “But it already left”

“Ok, be careful” He said, “Now, come and eat”

I stood up, began to walk back to the fire. I heard a shriek and then something tackled making me crashed against a tree. I hit the ground with a big THUD!

“Ow!” I cried in pain as I stood up stumbling. “What the hell was that?”

“Jason, are you ok?” Anastasia and Naomi yelled running toward me, but my grandpa hold the girls back. He then ran toward the truck leaving the others behind.

“Guys! Run to the truck!” I yelled at them trying to walked. I was almost there when I heard the shriek again. I looked up and saw a silhouette of a man with wings coming toward me again.

“No, come on Jason RUN!” Anastasia yelled.

“Dustin! Take them to the truck!”

“Jason! Watch out!” The girls yelled. I looked just in time to see the silhouette attacked me and I rolled out of the way. I didn't know how I didn't paralyze in the place.

Dustin was in some kind of shock. I jumped out of the way as I saw the creature charged at me again. The good news are that there was a tree behind me and the creature crashed against it. The bad news are that it made the creature more angry.

Jason said this: ramis et vitibus” Sky said in my mind. “Point your hands at the Heartless one and say those words!”

“What?! How are those words going to save me?!”

Just do it!” Sky scolded.

“Ok, I hope you don't get me kill” I said and point my hand at the monster. “Ramis et vitibus!”

At first nothing happened, but then the ground started to shook making me fall on my butt again. Then the trees' branches and vines started to moved toward the monster and tied it. I was shocked! I did magic for the first time and I didn't know I could.

“Did I just did magic?” I asked.

Yes, Jason” Sky said, “You and the others can do magic”

“And does magic always make you feel dizzy and tired?”

When you are learning it does, but with time and practice you won't”

The monster struggled trying to free itself. I knew the branches and vines weren't going to resit to much, so I did the only thing I could. RUN! I started to run toward the others and I almost made it, but I heard the branches and vines snapped and Naomi and Anastasia yelled, “Jason, watch out!” I turned and saw the monster lunged toward me. I still felt tired and dizzy.

“JASON!” I heard my grandpa yelled. I dared to turn and saw him throwed me a...sword? I didn't had time to think about why my grandpa have a sword in his truck. One, because I was more worry about the monster and two, because I was feeling dizzy and tired, and I thought I was going to pass out anymomnet. I just caught the sword by the hilt and with a fluid movement I spin cutting the monster in half. I was in shocked.

“Jason, are you Ok?” Grandpa asked running toward me with the others.

“Grandpa, why do you have a sword in the truck?” was the only thing I could think of to said snapping out of my shock.

“Well, I knew I need to protect you someday” He answered.

“Buying a sword?” I asked. I mean come on, it would make sense if he buy a gun to protect us, but a sword?! “But a sword?”

“Well, is not just any sword” Grandpa replied, “It was made by the trolls”

“Whoa! What are you talking about, grandpa?” Dustin asked, “Trolls?”

“I being getting ready for years now for the Dark dragon to wake” Grandpa sighed.

“Whoa! You know about the Dark dragon”

“Kids, we need to talk” Was the last thing I heard when I just passed out and fall to the floor face first.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 163 34
|7X FEATURED| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times. The prehistoric anim...
Secrets of Night By N

Science Fiction

339 4 27
Ever have the feeling that something is not quite right, but you just can't put your finger on it? I do, I can hear the voice that tries desperately...
Broken By Levi

Werewolf

629K 22K 24
||Book One of The Broken Wolves Trilogy|| Leo Williams was a 16 year old boy that had a normal life, for a werewolf anyway, up until his mom died. Af...
5.2K 200 27
Brianna finds out that her dad is a Roman God and then her world is thrown into chaos, quite literally. Can Brianna and her new found friends save th...