Met His Match ✓

By sheldon_

Noah davis is your typical college guy and he loves it. Used to being with a different girl every week, he re... More

Chapter 1 - The fun begins
Chapter 2 - Catch my eye
Chapter 3 - Sneaking an eyeful
Chapter 4 - Just a Towel
Chapter 5 - Dirty Dream? Oh hell no!
Chapter 6 - The club can't handle you
Chapter 7 - Piggy back Saviour
Chapter 8 - You can straddle me anytime!
Chapter 9 - To punish with a Kiss
Chapter 10 - Staking a Claim
Chapter 11 - First Official Date
Chapter 12 - The first date never ends
Chapter 13 - To Lie Down With You
Chapter 14 - Life's a Beach...Then you Laugh
Chapter 15 - Watching You
Chapter 16 - Meet the family, you say?
Chapter 17 - Close Call
Chapter 18 - Noah....A Cheerleader for the day!?
Chapter 19 - Big Sister Coming Through!
Chapter 20 - One of the Family
Chapter 21 - To Feel The Unexpected
Chapter 22 - Close call....Again!
Chapter 23 - Dance For Me
Chapter 24 - A Song Under The Stars
Chapter 25 - Game On!
Chapter 27 - Be With Me
Chapter 28 - First Time *READ WARNING*
Chapter 29 - On The Road
Chapter 30 - Beside The Fire
Chapter 31 - Under The Sun
Chapter 32 -The Night Before
Chapter 33 - This One's For You, Lily
Chapter 34 - Home Sweet Home
Chapter 35 - Unravelled
Chapter 36 - Heart
Chapter 37 - Holding On To You
Chapter 38 - Always Family
Chapter 39 - Hope
Chapter 40 - Always
Chapter 41 - A Step Towards You
Chapter 42 - Hello and Goodbye
Epilogue
Thank you and new novel called My Best Friend, Jack

Chapter 26 - Bittersweet Goodbye

91.8K 1.8K 175
By sheldon_

**MORE INFO: Just to let you know, I still have three exams until I finish this year at university so updates will be a little slower from now on but don't worry, they'll still be coming. Probably once/twice a week is what I'll be able to manage. Maybe three times if I find myself with a spare few hours. Anyway, as always I hope you like the chapter! :)

Photo: Jackie

Song in the last scene for this chapter: Kiss you, by One Direction

.................................

(Solely) Noah POV:

The following day, everyone was in a pretty miserable mood. It was Sunday, meaning Jackie and Dick were flying back home to Michigan to do the last minute preparations for their wedding. After walking through the busy airport to the check in desk, Lily and I waited as Jackie and Dick went to check in their bags.

"You okay?" Lily smiled up at me, wrapping her arm around my waist.

"Yeah," I mumbled back, staring at the floor. "It's just that I don't get to see them very often and it kinda sucks that they're leaving so quickly."

"Well, you know, they are getting married," she said, leaning up to kiss me lightly on my nose. "They probably have a few things to do, so they can't just stay here and go bowling all the time, no matter how happy it makes Jackie."

I could hear the amusement in Lily's voice, and I could tell she was trying very hard not to rub it in my face that her and Jackie had beaten us last night, by a pretty hefty difference. Sighing, I turned towards her and smiled softly. "I know you're dying to say it, so lets just get it over and done with, shall we?"

She looked up at me innocently, like she didn't know what on earth I was talking about. So I arched an eyebrow at her and nodded, telling her to get on with it. "Okay fine, but I swear this is the last time," Lily laughed, stepping away and staring up at me.

I watched as she did a little happy dance, shuffling her feet and moving side to side. "Beat you college boy! Kicked your ass!" She grinned, as she flapped her arms up and down.

The desire to laugh was almost impossible to resist, but so far I was just about managing it. But as she did a little disco move and turned on the spot, I couldn't hold it in any longer. A laugh burst out of me, and Lily stopped what she was doing and turned to face me. She was smiling at me proudly, with a look of satisfaction on her face.

"Why are you smiling at me like that?" I asked.

"It's nothing," she shrugged, although the little smile was still there. "It's just that you were unhappy, and I made you laugh. I like to make you laugh Noah."

Looking over at her, I felt such a stong pang of gratefulness and love. Lily always knew what to do to make me happy, and that was one of the reasons I knew there would never be another girl like her. Reaching out, I grabbed her jumper and pulled her towards me.

"Woah," she cried out as I grabbed a hold of her.

I bit back a laugh as she tripped over her own feet and went flying in to me. As she crashed against my chest, I wrapped my other arm around her and held her upright. "You are so clumsy," I grinned affectionately.

"I am not clumsy," Lily huffed, pushing the hair out of her eyes and frowning up at me. "That was your fault. You pulled my jumper and - "

Chuckling softly, I lent down and pressed my lips against hers, silencing her mid sentence. After a brief second I felt her pull back and huff out an annoyed breath. "Don't think you can just kiss me and I'll -"

Grinning at her, I threaded my fingers through her hair and leant down to kiss her again. As my lips met hers, I felt Lily smile and give in, leaning in to my chest. I recognised the familiar taste of her strawberry lip gloss that I loved, and I pulled back and nibbled her bottom lip gently.

Lily took a breath and leant back, licking her lips as she stared up at me with a glazed over look in her eyes. I could still faintly taste the strawberry on my tongue, it tasted sweet. Smiling, I winked at Lily and took hold of her hand.

"I'll have to do that more often," I said, stroking my chin to make it look like I was deep in thought.

"Do what more often?" Lily asked, still sounding a little dazed.

"Well," I smiled, "Everytime you argue with me, I can just kiss you and then you'll stop talking. It's a win-win situation."

"Oh really?" She muttered, arching an eyebrow at me. "And who says I'll kiss you back?"

Even as she said it, the look on her face told me she didn't believe it herself. Grinning, I leant down and whispered in her ear. "Come on gorgeous," I laughed, "We both know you find me irresistable."

As I heard Lily curse under her breath, my laugh got louder. She just glanced up at me, a slight frown on her face as she realized she couldn't deny it. Of course, Lily had to know that if it was the other way around, all she would have to do was smile at me, and I would do absolutely anything for her.

"Hey guys," Jackie said glumly, appearing suddenly at my side. "The bags are all checked in and we can go through the departures gate pretty much any time now."

"Yep," Dick nodded beside her, looking equally as glum. "I thought maybe we could grab a quick coffee though, before we go through."

"I was thinking the same thing," I smiled, pointing towards the coffee shop that we had gotten smoothies from the day the two had arrived for their visit.

Squeezing Lily's hand gently, I pulled her beside me as we made our way over to the coffee shop. Smiling over at Jackie, I wrapped my other arm around her shoulders, pulling her against my side. Kissing her on the top of the head briefly, I lent down and whispered to her.

"It's been good to see you sis," I smiled. "Next time, don't leave it so long."

"It has been a great visit," she smiled back, making a point of glancing towards Lily who was walking the other side of me. "For a number of reasons."

As we reached the cafe, I asked what everyone wanted before they all went and sat down by a window table, tucked away in the corner. After getting the water for Dick and the three fruit smoothies for myself, Lily and Jackie, I walked over to the table and took a seat.

"So what are the plans for when you get back?" Lily asked, taking a sip of the smoothie through the straw.

"We just need to have a final meeting with the hotel," Jackie replied. "Make sure everything's according to plan and that's pretty much it."

"And then the next step is to, uh, " Dick said, a nervous look passing his features. "Well, is to get married I suppose."

"Yeah, " I shrugged, watching as Dick turned a slight shade of green. "Getting married, just another step. No big deal..."

"So what is the hotel like where you're getting married?" Lily smiled, leaning towards them.

"It's actually on the other side of the lake," Jackie grinned, nodding over at me. "You remember the one Noah, called Lakeside. It's so great and you can see mum and dad's lakehouse from there."

"That's cool," Lily said, "Sounds like it's going to be a wondeful day for you both."

"Well you'll see what I mean about the hotel Lily," she grinned, looking at me cheerfully. "Now that Noah's asked you to the wedding. And you have the dress."

"Hold on," I said, swivelling to face her. "You've bought your dress already. When did you do that?"

"When me and Jackie went shopping," Lily said, shrugging at me. "I put it in the back of your car and then ran it up to my apartment after we went bowling, before you noticed."

"Can I see it?" I asked, hoping she'd say yes although I didn't have anything to worry about, I knew she would look absolutely beautiful.

She laughed and shook her head at me. "Nope, not until the wedding."

"Fine," I mumbled, staring in to my smoothie and daydreaming about unzipping the dress off Lily slowly.

"Oh that reminds me," Jackie said suddenly, basically talking to herself. "I need to try on my dress one last time to make sure everything still fits. I've kinda pigged out this weekend."

"You and me both," Dick laughed, patting his stomach. "Actually thinking about things we need to do, I guess I better get on with it and write my vows."

I widened my eyes at Dick as soon as the words left his mouth. He just smiled at me, not having a clue at the trouble he had just landed himself in. Grimacing, I turned to Lily and saw that she was giving me the exact same look, knowing Dick had just said the complete opposite thing that he should've. Lily and I just sat there silently as Jackie turned around and stared at Dick, her face emotionless.

"Are you telling me," she whispered, sounding like she was barely restraining herself from launching a fist in Rich's direction. "That you haven't even written your vows yet, with only three week to go?"

"Umm, well you see," Dick mumbled, picking at his thumbnail like a nervous kid. "I was waiting because each new day, uh, I think of something else to write about you so I figured I'd, umm, get as many days as possible before I write the vows."

Lily and I watched as Jackie raised her eyebrow at Dick and folded her arms, an accusing look on her face. "You just made that up, didn't you?" She muttered, looking rather annoyed.

"No!" He almost shouted, glancing at me for help.

I just grinned and shrugged, feeling a little guilty about it but still enjoying watching him squirm under my sister's murderous glare, which was downright scary. I could still remember the time I stole her mobile phone when I was thirteen and made several long distance calls to multiple strangers on purpose. She had practically beaten me senseless with wedgies, 'noogies' and ear swirlies until I'd confessed to my parents and was forced to give her all my pocket money.

"Yeah well, I bet Noah hasn't written his best man's speech yet!" Dick said, snapping me out of my little flashback.

I made a face at him and flipped him the finger. "Nice one Dick!" I muttered. "Throw your best man under the bus with you, why don't you!?"

"Hah!" He smiled triumphantly, turning back towards Jackie. "See! Noah hasn't written his speech yet, why don't you yell at him for a minute whilst I drink the rest of my water."

I heard Lily laughing under breath beside me, so I reached my hand under the table and squeezed her knee, causing her to jump and grab my hand, trying her hardest to pull me off. Glancing at her, I grinned and squeezed a little harder, causing her to burst out laughing and lean against me, trying to shove me away simultaneously.

"Noah!" She whined breathlessly, still desperately trying to pull my hand away from her knee.

"Yeah gorgeous?" I chuckled, as Lily pressed her forehead against my shoulder and groaned in to my shirt.

"Okay," I whispered, letting go of her knee and running it up her thigh instead. "I guess we'll just have to pick up where we left off later then."

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT NOAH YOU PLEB!" Jackie erupted suddenly from across the table, smacking Dick on the shoulder. "It's your vows I care about. You're the one who has to stand up in front of both of our families and our friends and say why you love me, and you don't even know."

"Of course I know honey," Dick said softly, reaching across and taking Jackie's hand in his. She tried to pull away but he held on tighter and refused to let her go. "I know everything I want to say to you because you make me the happiest man alive for an infinite number of reasons. And no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to tell you every one of them, because I love you for everything that you do, and for everything that you are. My beautiful fiance, my best friend, and the future mother of my children."

I smiled as Dick reached up and cupped Jackie's cheek, a tender look in his eyes. The man in front of me loved my sister more than anything and that was the reason I had agreed to be his best man. I knew Dick would never hurt her and they didn't have to get married; he was already my brother.

"I think you've just started your vows," Lily whispered beside me, her voice filled with emotion.

I reached for her hand under the table and entwined our fingers, feeling a sudden need to feel her hand in mine. She held on to me tightly, stroking my palm with the pad of her thumb. Looking up at Jackie I saw that she had tears in her eyes and was smiling softly at her fiance.

"I guess you're off the hook," she muttered, "But I expect those exact words in your vows somewhere okay!"

He laughed and kissed her briefly on the lips before nodding enthusiastically. "Of course I will," he whispered, suddenly turning in my direction and blinking at me with a fearful look on his face.

I rolled my eyes at him. He'd already forgotten them, it was obvious from his panicked expression. Sometimes I seriously wondered if Dick would forget his head if it wasn't screwed on. Laughing, I started to say I'd give him a hand when I came back home, but an announcement suddenly came over the speakers.

'Those departing on the next flight to Michigan, the departure gate is now open so please make your way to the plane. Boarding call for Michigan!'

"Looks like it's time to go then," Jackie said, smiling at me sadly as we all stood up and made our way towards the entrance to the departure lounge.

As we came to it, we all stopped and stood to the side. "Well it's been real fun!" Dick smiled, as he stepped forward and wrapped Lily in a huge bear hug, lifting her off the floor.

Lily smiled and threw her arms around him, patting him on the back softly. "It was nice meeting you Rich," she said. "You're a great guy."

He put her down after a minute and grinned down at her. "And you know, I have to say thank you Lily for actually calling me Rich," he laughed, before throwing a glance at me and narrowing his eyes. "Unlike some people I know, like you and that annoying best friend of yours."

"Oh stop moaning would ya?" I smiled, stepping forwards and hugging him briefly. "You may not admit it, but I think you secretly like it."

"Um, yeah I don't think so," he muttered, "I just put up with it."

"Oh come on," I chuckled. "You could beat me with your pinky finger but you choose not to, and do you know why that is?"

"Why?" He asked, rolling his eyes.

"Because you like me too much!" I said straight faced, enjoying the face Dick pulled at me, like I was crazy.

But as he stepped back and heaved his backpack on to his shoulder, I could see the small smile on his face, telling me that what I had just said was completely true. Turning around, I saw that Jackie and Lily were hugging tightly, both looking rather sad.

"You look after this guy won't you?" I heard Jackie say. "He needs looking after. I mean he only has the I.Q of a five year old."

Lily laughed and looked over Jackie's shoulder. "Don't worry," she smiled, winking at me. "I'll look after him. After all, the guy's kinda special to me."

I looked down and smiled to myself, a warm feeling spreading through my chest. "I'll see you in three weeks then," Jackie said. "And I'm looking forward to it."

Glancing up from the floor, I watched as Jackie let go of Lily and stepped up to me, a small smile on her face. "Well little bro," she said, throwing her arms around me. "Next time you see me I'll be getting married."

"I know," I said proudly, pulling her against me and hugging her with everything I had. "I'm proud of you sis. As proud as I could ever be."

"I'm proud of you too Noah," Jackie whispered in my ear so only I could hear. "You've finally let someone in that cares for you, don't you dare let her go."

"Trust me," I whispered back even quieter, making sure that Lily couldn't hear me. "I'm never letting her go. I'm in love with her Jackie."

She suddenly pulled away from me and grinned, a proud look in her eyes. "You've truly grown up brother," she said. "And it's about time, because I had almost given up hope."

I laughed as she stepped back and took hold of Dick's hand. "Say hey to the family for me," I smiled. "And tell JJ we'll go swimming when I'm back."

"Will do," she nodded, "Well we'll see you guys in three weeks then."

As I watched them turn and step through to the departure lounge, I reached down and took hold of Lily's hand. It was just three weeks until I'd be seeing them again, as well as my whole family but seeing as we were so close it hurt each time they left, or each time I had to leave them. Releasing a breath, I spun around and Lily and I walked through the airport and back out to the car in the parking section.

Slipping the key in and unlocking the doors, I collapsed in to the seat and took a hold of the steering wheel, feeling slightly miserable as I looked at the airport through my mirror. I felt Lily slip in to the passenger seat beside me and shut the door. She leaned over and kissed me lightly on the cheek, running her hands through my hair.

"Don't be sad college boy," she smiled. "In three weeks time, you'll see your entire family. Just think of that."

"Yeah, you're right," I nodded, sticking the key in the ignition and cringing as the engine spluttered to life. "It's just that me and my family are so close. As close as any family could be and each time we're seprated, it just hurts a little."

I realized what I'd just said, sat here in the car talking about how happy and close my family were when Lily hadn't even had a family of her own until she was sixteen. I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid, but as I turned to look at her, I saw that Lily was smiling at me with the most beautiful smile I had laid my eyes upon.

"Noah, it's okay," she said, cupping my cheek. "You have a wonderful family. And soon you're going to have an amazing brother in law that I can see adores you. Just three more weeks and you can go home. Until then, I'll just have to keep you smiling."

I kissed her hand lightly as it passed my lips and took a hold of it, placing it on my knee as I put my hand over hers. "You always make me smile Lily," I said truthfully. "Just by being with me."

"Well that's good," she grinned, turning on the radio as we pulled out of the space and I drove towards the exit signs. "Because we have three weeks to wait, and something tells me it's gonna go painfully slow."

"Tell me about it," I chuckled, switching on the radio as Lily rolled her window down.

Suddenly, One Direction came blaring through the speakers and I cringed inwardly. "Ahh!" I said, reaching over to change the station immediately.

There was no way I was driving with One Direction blaring out the windows. The embarassment would be too much. But just as my fingers closed around the dial, Lily's hand shot out and stopped me.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," she laughed. "But could you leave that on?"

I gaped at her as she grinned at me and starting bobbing her head, singing to music. "Please don't tell me you like them?" I begged, looking at her out of the corner of my eye.

"No, I don't," she said, her dancing getting more vigorous as she practically bounced in her seat and started waving her arms around. "But this one song just gets me moving and I wish it didn't, but it does."

I shook my head and burst out laughing in amazement as she leaned out the window, her hair flying behind her as she carried on bobbing to the awful music. But there was absolutely no way I was changing the station. Seeing Lily so carefree was a rarity, so I took the oppourtinity to laugh and watch her as she attempted to dance to the song whilst simultaneously leaning out of the car. After a minute or two, to my shame I actually found myself tapping my foot along to the song.

And as I looked over at Lily with the huge grin on her face, something told me that the three weeks would go a lot quicker than I thought.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 5.6K 62
He's a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "love." She's a girl who's scared to know what the meaning of the word "love" is. Add them...
1.7M 2.3K 3
"You're not serious right?" He gave me a bored look, turning around to face me completely. He brought his face a little closer and parted his lips t...
629K 10.7K 28
What happens when a good girl becomes determined to make her brothers best friend fall in love with her? Drama, sexual tension and jealousy of course...
3.2M 80.8K 44
Carter Miller is a 17 year old girl who started moving around with her mom when her dad died. They end up in her moms hometown for Carter to graduate...