What Happens Next

By Happyreading

What happens after the happily ever after and before the once upon a time? More

What Happens Next
Strangers
Kismet
Mother
Shifting
Vigor
Countdown
Discoveries
Comfort
Aftermath
Pirouette
Birthday
Extemporaneous
Decisions
Stellar
Wrecked
Interstice
Merged
Thorn
Plans
Issues
Unity
Intrigue
Resilience
Stubborn
Bells

Underway

5.1K 102 54
By Happyreading

Aiden walked into Double M Events and walked up to the receptionist to check in. Lily, the receptionist, asked him to take a seat and offered water or coffee. Aiden declined the drinks, but did sit on the plush couch on the other side of the room. He picked up one of the bridal magazines and flipped through it, not really interested in its contents, just doing so to pass the time. It wasn't too long until he saw Emily Jane walking down the hallway, and Lily motioning over to where he sat.

"Hi, Mr. Carter. Sorry to have kept you waiting," she offered her hand for a handshake.

"Aiden is fine. Mr. Carter is my dad," he shook her hand and laughed.

"Okay, Aiden. Did you find our place just fine?"

"Yup, the GPS was accurate."

"Good, good," Emily Jane continued to make small talk. "Follow me to my office, Aiden."

Aiden followed her and silently checked her out. She was wearing a charcoal colored belted sheath dress that stopped above the knee with a black boyfriend blazer over it and black patent leather pumps. Her long hair was up in a sleek low ponytail, and her make up polished.

She opened the door to her office and let him in first before following him. She shut the door and took a seat in front of him.

"So, Aiden, tell me a little bit about your parents. I know of them, but I really want to make a personalized plan for them. Like, let's start with your mom's favorite color."

"She loves a really dark, rich purple. I know that was the color of their civil wedding in London. So if you could somehow tie that in to the whole autumn feel, then that would be great."

"Okay, good, purple. That actually shouldn't be too tough to incorporate with the oranges and browns of the season," Emily Jane wrote in her notebook.

"Now, your dad already mentioned when we met the other day that they weren't redoing the whole ceremony part, just the reception-slash-party. How many guests were you thinking of inviting?"

"Maybe around the ballpark of 100? I know dad just wants close friends and family."

Emily Jane wrote in her book again.

"I assume you want an indoor venue because October evenings can be pretty chilly by that time."

"Yes, that's right."

Emily Jane was in serious business mode the entire time. She may be a happy-go-lucky person, but when it came to her business, she was as serious as can be. She and Aiden exchanged a bunch of ideas and she told him she would put together a portfolio to show him and his dad in the coming week. She felt giddy during the entire meeting, and it wasn't only because of her crush who sat in front of her; she was genuinely excited that THE Owen Carter picked her to plan this party. This was the break she had been waiting for. She was going to do the best job she had ever done. She was not going to let the Carter family down.

She walked Aiden back to the reception area after their hour long meeting in high spirits. Aiden was very cooperative and receptive to all her suggestions and ideas; he was a guy after all, and this wasn't his own wedding, so he wasn't being a romantic who would throw in ideas of his own.

"Thank you so much for coming in, Aiden. I'll have the portfolio ready for you next week," she told him.

"Sure. Hey, Em J?" he asked.

"Yes?"

"Thanks a lot. I really don't have a clue as to how to make this a memorable one for my parents, so I'm glad I have you bouncing ideas left and right."

"Yeah, no prob. It's my job," she smiled.

Aiden just looked at her for a minute. She really was a very pretty woman. He was surrounded by gorgeous actresses in his profession all the time, but there was something about Em J that set her apart somehow. Maybe it was because she was obviously beautiful but didn't seem obsessed with her looks. Maybe because she had a smile that could light up a room. Maybe because it was her extremely affable personality that attracted her to him. Wait...what? He wasn't supposed to be distracted by her! He cleared his throat and stretched out his hand for a handshake before he left. She shook it and the spark was once again there for her. She had to restrain herself from swooning like in those historical romance novels she used to read as a teenager.

She watched as he finally left and continued to stare at the door long after he was gone. She let out an audible sigh, not realizing that she had an audience behind her in Lily, Amanda, and Lizzie.

"Ahem," Lizzie obnoxiously cleared her throat.

Emily Jane visibly jumped at the sound. She turned around abruptly and held a hand over her heart.

"Oh my gosh, Lizzie! You scared me! How long have you guys been standing there?"

"Long enough to watch you make googly eyes with your love bug," Lizzie said and stuck her tongue out at Em J.

"No wonder you dressed up today. We thought we were getting audited or something and you had to put on your best clothes! Turns out, it was a most important client meeting," Amanda winked and giggled.

"Ugh, will you guys stop? I was the consummate professional," Em J said with a nod.

"I know you'd like to consummate with Mr. Aiden Carter," Lizzie continued to tease.

"Lizzie, we're supposed to be sisters!"

"And that's why I can say these things to you!" Lizzie continued to laugh. "Anyway, for real, though, Em J, you two would actually make a really cute couple!"

"I agree," Amanda said. "And he looks pretty smiley with you as well, you're not the only one taken, it seems."

"Stop it..." Emily Jane waved them off. "You think?" she smiled sheepishly.

"I think," Amanda added.

"I think so, too," Lily added.

"You guys are just pulling my leg now. Let's all make fun of Em J and her big ol' crush on an unattainable movie star! Hey, dreaming is free!" Emily Jane pouted.

"Em J, all I'm saying is, you have plenty of time to make a move on Aiden Carter since you'll be seeing him quite a few times more as this party comes to life. As far as I know, he's single right now. You're a pretty girl, you look just like Mama Beth. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for him to find you attractive, if he doesn't already," Lizzie said, slinging an arm over Emily Jane's shoulder.

"I don't know, Lizzie. I mean, he's Aiden Carter! He's the most gorgeous man I've ever seen. He's just so out of my league," Emily Jane shrugged.

"Em J, nothing's impossible with love," Lizzie winked. "Just don't regret it if you don't make a move."

"Isn't that too forward?"

"Girl, we are living in the new millenium. According to my research, guys actually like being asked out every now and then. Takes the pressure off of them or some mumbo jumbo like that."

"Okay, I'll think about it."

"Don't think, just do it."

"Lizzie, I'm not like you. You're so brave and like to put yourself out there. I just don't have your confidence."

"Do you want me to ask him out for you?" Lizzie asked in a tone reminiscent an adult uses with a child.

"What?! No!" Emily Jane screamed.

"Ems, you have nothing to lose," Amanda said."

"Except my face and my pride."

"He seems really nice. If anything, he'll probably agree to one date," Amanda smiled.

"Great! A pity date!" Emily Jane rolled her eyes. "Okay, I promise to ask him after his parents' party. Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Well I certainly wouldn't do it now. It's just so...unprofessional."

"Okay, if you say so. Just don't make me say 'I told you so' when some good for nothing starlet beats you to it and he's suddenly off the market."

"Then we weren't meant to be if that's the case."

"Oh, our friend is hopeless," Lizzie finished. "Let's just all get back to work."

And they left Emily Jane to wallow in her thoughts.

***

Aiden had just finished filming a scene and was taking a break with Brandon Jacobs, one of his co-stars who had become one of his really good friends. They were playing a video game in Aiden's trailer when he noticed the wedding portfolio sitting on the table.

"Dude, you getting married and didn't tell me? Who's the unlucky girl?"

"Dude, no. That's for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. The wedding planner sent me this portfolio via courier earlier today. Actually, I haven't taken a look yet, good thing you reminded me.

Aiden paused the game and picked up the book. He opened the first page, and it was already meticulously made. The portfolio was rich with details, right down to the smallest of point. He was impressed. Emily Jane did a lot of work in such a short amount of time, and according to her email, the venue and vendors are already as good as booked, the Carters just needed to approve everything.

"Wow, that is what I call paying attention to detail," Brandon said looking over Aiden's shoulder.

"Yeah. My mom would love all of this, really. I just need to take some pictures of this and send it to my sister Ames; she knows more about this stuff than I do."

Aiden grabbed his phone and took pictures of the portfolio. He texted his sister to ask her what she thought. He already approved if it was up to him. His dad was right, Emily Jane did not disappoint. He sent her a quick text telling her he looked through it and liked it, and that he needed to show his dad and sister before giving a final answer. He received a quick reply stating to take his time, and as he read it, a goofy grin formed on his face.

"What's that look, dude?"

"Nothing. Just got a reply from Emily Jane."

"And who is Emily Jane?" Brandon asked, curiosity piqued.

"The wedding planner."

"Uh huh."

"What?" Aiden asked his friend with eyebrows raised.

"She's cute, isn't she?" Brandon wiggled his eyebrows up and down. "Is she single?"

"I don't know!" Aiden said.

"Is she cute?"

"I don't know."

"Don't give me that crap. You have eyes. Is she cute?"

"Yeah, she's cute, but she's kinda shallow. I mean, I overheard her gushing about me like I was a piece of meat."

"And you're complaining because..." Brandon said, failing to see Aiden's logic.

"Well, it just didn't sit well with me."

"Quit whining like a little baby. This is your job, you are eye candy to these females, okay? Just accept it. And calling this Emily Jane person a shallow is a little mean, don't you think?"

Aiden just shrugged. Brandon took the business card attached to the portfolio, grabbed his phone from his pocket and typed in a web address on his phone's browser.

"If this is her, she's a cutie."

Brandon showed his screen to Aiden for confirmation. He had searched for her profile on a social networking site. Emily Jane's profile picture was a close up of her face, smiling widely. Aiden took a quick look then nodded.

"Whew, and you have the nerve to complain about this girl? What the hell is wrong with you, man? If I was you, we'd be on our first date by now. Or fifth."

"Dude, I'm her client."

"Yeah, so?"

"Plus I don't need any distractions."

"Or you could use an inspiration."

"Whatever, dude. She's planning a party for my parents. I'm not trying to get in her pants."

"There's definitely something wrong with you!" Brandon laughed as he shook his head. "I'm out of here before I catch your brand of crazy. Later, dude."

Brandon left Aiden's trailer and a few seconds later, Aiden received a picture message from his buddy. It was the profile picture of Emily Jane. He enlarged the picture and stared at the woman's smiling face. She really was beautiful. And he was sure she didn't mean any harm in thinking he was handsome. It wasn't a secret that he had dashingly good looks. Maybe he was wrong to pre-judge someone he didn't even know just based on something he overheard, a private conversation among friends, at that.

He texted his dad telling him to meet him at his condo later to take a look at the portfolio. Just as he hit send, he received a text message from Ondine.

"She is a bloody genius!"

He called his sister, and Ondine picked up on the first ring.

"I take it you liked it?" he asked her sarcastically.

"Yes! Keep her number, she's definitely planning my wedding whenever that may be," Ondine replied rather seriously.

"Okay, so dad just needs to take a look."

"Yeah, brother. It's all so amazing. Tell her I said 'great job'."

"Will do, Ames, will do."

Emily Jane. You are full of surprises, Aiden thought to himself with a smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 7.2K 27
* What if a prank results in two people getting married by chance? Can they deal with the aftermath? Or will they lose their sanity, their patience...
836 27 10
Post-Endgame Spoilers Steve returns the stones to the correct point in time but gets stuck in the past.
98.3K 1.7K 22
First book in the "How's Rachel?" Series What happens when Rachel and Finn start talking again before Rachel's big audtion and not long after their...