Challenged - Skinwalker Book 2

Von KaraOdine1

Exert: Little electric tingles raced through her fingers deep into her body where an increasingly familiar pi... Mehr

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 5

193 14 4
Von KaraOdine1

"Wait a minute," Devon remarked, suddenly looking uncomfortable for the first time, "how exactly do you guys keep this balance? Do you... kill our kind?"

"Yes," Geoffrey answered bluntly with a small, mischievous glint in his eye.

He hesitated just long enough to watch Devon squirm in his seat, then added:

"When we absolutely have to. Fortunately that has not been necessary for over four centuries. There have not been any major exterminations since a few, neophyte wolves were abandoned to fend for themselves in the early American colonies. This led to a massive surge in undisciplined, very carnal packs that unfortunately had to be dealt with the hard way. Most creatures since then tend to prefer to keep their existence a secret through very controlled internal law-keeping, so we seldom face such problems anymore."

"Neophyte?" Devon queried, voicing Sierra's own thoughts a second time.

"That is the term we use for anything that is not born 'were'," Jocelyn explained.

"Earlier Luc said Kalko was an 'elite' team member. What does that mean?" Sierra asked.

"That means he has more specialised skills than the others. Elite members usually do more work, so they have more benefits. They're harder to replace and their role with the agency is vital. Senka and Adam are also Elite," Geoffrey informed them.

A second of silence passed as the two new arrivals pondered over what they'd been told.

"Is that why there are so many werewolf legends out there?" Sierra asked curiously, "Because they were so exposed at one time?"

"Most likely, yes - though it may also have something to do with the fact that they are one of the most prolific breeders of the were-kingdom. It is also not uncommon to run into some difficulties when there is more than one alpha available to the same pack," Jocelyn informed them. "It usually causes divisions and conflicts that might result in unwanted attention from the general public."

"And the werewolf hunters in those fables - they were from... the agency?" Sierra inquired.

Jocelyn nodded. "Most of them were, though I am sure there were some who were not."

"But what about the hosts - the wolves responsible for all that chaos in the first place?" Devon mused.

"That is why most of our teams are mixed species," Geoffrey informed them, "We rely on each member's unique skills to ensure that the job is done properly. In that instance, wolves helped to track down the original offenders by using the base scents found on the neophytes. Eventually all the reprobates were caught and dealt with, and so balance was restored."

"Wait... I'm confused," Sierra mused, "If everyone out there is keeping themselves contained, what exactly is it you do now?"

"We work really hard at trying to make sure that situations like that never come close to being repeated. We remain prepared to defend and destroy - if the need should ever arise - but mostly we just keep an eye on global news and try to detect any potential problems before they might arise and the situation worsens," Jocelyn informed her. "That is how we found you: a news story of a young woman disappearing in the woods, suspected of being eaten by mountain lions but with absolutely no blood or remains in an otherwise safe area raises alarms for us. We sent in a small team to make sure that there was no risk of a feverish neophyte feline running rampage and infecting or killing everything in sight."

"What would you have done if that was the case?" Sierra asked, her throat suddenly dry as her mind ran wild with thoughts of being hunted like an animal.

"Our first priority is to merely observe," Geoffrey answered. "We would only intervene if it was absolutely necessary. If you were not a risk, we would have simply watched you until you came into contact with your kind and received some sort of induction into their culture. If you were a risk, we would have found a way to either turn you over to the nearest pride for local justice, or we would have brought you in for a trial and, hopefully, some rehabilitation. But you were not a neophyte feline, were you?" he mused with a smile.

"No - though I was convinced that I was a cat for a while," she replied.

"So were we," Jocelyn admitted. "When Adam got a lock on your scent mixed with another cat's, we were fairly sure that he had turned you even though he did not actually get to see you in cat form. You see, pride cats have their own unique, individual scents, whereas neophyte cats always carry the scent of the cat that turned them mingled with theirs. So it was logical to conclude that you were not born a were-cat. But then when he finally tracked you down and saw you touch the wolf, he didn't know what to think. That is why the team started to investigate you more aggressively in order to try and figure you out. It was only when we found this," Jocelyn pulled a small, well-worn notebook from her desk drawer and placed it in full view on the table top," that we began to understand. I must apologize for taking it from you, but we had to be sure," she told Sierra as she pushed it across the desk in offering.

Sierra snatched her journal up and hugged it to her chest instinctively, cringing inwardly at all the private thoughts that had been exposed through it.

"You must understand - your kind is the rarest of them all. Some even doubt your existence," Jocelyn explained, her gaze sympathetic. "That you have chosen to come to us is a great honour."

Sierra could tell that Jocelyn was genuinely thrilled to have her sitting there in front of her, contemplating joining her agency. She quickly began to feel uncomfortable with the way that both she and Geoffrey were now looking at her. In fact, she was starting to get just a little irritated with the weird ways that people kept responding to the fact that she was a skin walker. It was beginning to make her feel like an outcast when she'd never wanted more to just fit in.

"Well I doubt that Adam would share that sentiment," she joked feebly, "and I really am very sorry for what I did earlier in the rec room. In all honesty, Madame Sauveterre..."

"Jocelyn, please..."

"...Jocelyn, I came here looking for answers. I need help. I don't know how my particular skill set can be an asset to you, but I'd be more than happy to join you if you can help me to understand it better. Your cause sounds like something I could support - as long as you don't expect me to kill anyone personally..." Sierra mused belatedly.

Geoffrey grinned. "Of course we cannot force any team members to do that. Besides, we tend to look for political solutions nowadays rather than deal the death penalty. However, you will be expected to train for any and all possibilities. Our world is a very physical one - whether you're in human or animal form, it pays to be prepared. All team members train regularly."

"Train?" Devon prodded.

"Physical and mental preparation is necessary to ensure that team members are not a liability in the field," Geoffrey explained. "Some of the groups we encounter have trained fighters. Others are just really tough and hard to beat. It helps to be ready for anything."

"So you guys are like the Navy SEALS of the were-world? Awesome! I'm in," Devon quipped, though his enthusiasm was genuine.

Geoffrey grinned at him, the hint of a secret shining behind his eyes. "You may feel different after your first day of training under Kalko," he warned.

"Well I've already trained as a defender for my pride. That's gotta count for something," Devon shot back, suddenly looking a little less certain of himself.

Sierra tried to stifle a laugh. A little buzz in her jean pocket brought her focus back to more important matters. There were things Jason would need to know in order for him to accept her being there.

"I think my friend and I are both eager to try, but I have to ask - what's the catch?"

Both Geoffrey and Jocelyn looked at her blankly.

"What I mean is, how do we know that we can trust you - that you won't try to trick us at some later stage? How do we even know that you're the good guys? What would you demand from us, other than our abilities and time? What happens if we want out?" Sierra elaborated.

"Well I'm sure you'll agree that trust is a two-way thing. We will learn to trust each other in time, I think," Jocelyn answered. "As to our purpose - if you do not agree with it - all of it - then it is probably best that you walk away now. By choosing to stay you will be declaring that you agree to live by our standards and rules. When it comes to what we want from you..."

Her eyes danced over each of them contemplatively.

"...apart from service, we strongly encourage newcomers to give us at least a brief overview of their species or family groups to add to our database - though of course we understand that we cannot expect such due to family loyalties and the like. We would appreciate any information that you would feel comfortable sharing with us, even if you only choose to do so in a year or two from now when there is more trust. The more we know, the better we are able to prepare ourselves in future. But as I have said, this is not mandatory."

"Loyalty to your team, however, is unquestionable," Geoffrey butted in.

"Yes, it is our only true condition of service," Jocelyn affirmed. "You may leave at any time for whatever reason, with only one stipulation: that you never betray our existence or whereabouts or divulge any information about the Agency or Order to outsiders. You will be asked to sign a short agreement to that effect," she informed them as she pushed some papers across the table in their direction.

"Um..." Sierra mumbled as she fidgeted with her fingers uncomfortably, her gaze cast at the floor guiltily.

Geoffrey scowled. "You have only just arrived. How can you possibly be in contravention of that term already?"

"I'm not yet... technically. Though I did tell Jason where I was going and he knows about Adam. And... Well I kinda promised him that I'd keep in touch. You don't understand how he'd totally freak out if I went silent on him. He'd literally come and comb the countryside looking for me..."

Devon snickered. "Yeah, I believe Fargo's done something like that once before..."

Sierra scowled at her friend, not appreciative of the jibe under present circumstances.

Jocelyn smiled softly at her. "You are welcome to keep in touch with loved ones, of course, we ask only that you do not divulge important details. For example you may wish to tell him that you are staying in a historical building, but try not to mention that it is a castle and definitely do not give its name."

Sierra continued fidgeting uncomfortably.

"This is not enough? Would it be better to invite him to join us? We still have one room available..."

"No!" she shouted, then immediately cringed when she realised how strange her abrupt outburst must have seemed.

"I mean - well I appreciate the offer but he absolutely can't leave his pack right now. He mustn't even be given a reason to think about doing that. I just need to find a way to reassure him that I'm safe."

She went quiet a moment then added, "I need to let him know that the Agency isn't looking for an excuse to hack me into pieces or lock me in a cage. And if we travel, he'll want to know where to."

Jocelyn sat contemplatively for a while.

"I see no harm in telling him where you are going, though out of respect for other groups, you should not tell him who or what you meet on your travels. As for the rest, tell him the most basic version of the truth - that the Agency is a well-established group that has been in operation for a long time that is essentially hiring you as an employee. You're free to come and go as you please and to terminate your contract when you wish to. You can also give any personal observations or feelings you may have about us, as long as you do not disclose specifics. If you are unsure about anything else, you could perhaps talk to me about it first?" Jocelyn suggested.

Sierra nodded, feeling a measure of relief now that she had a basic idea of what to tell her boyfriend.

Is he technically even my boyfriend? We never really made it official...

She glanced over at Devon for reassurance. He didn't seem the least bit concerned about her own little 'Jason' problem. Instead he leaned back in his chair, hands clasped casually over his stomach and let his eyes fix on Madame Sauveterre.

"She's pretty much covered everything I wanted to know," he mused, "except for two small things: what's the remuneration like for this gig and... what are your policies on in-house dating?"

The side of his lip curled slyly at the last remark.

"We do not encourage relationships between team members as it can lead to friction - but we respect your right to free choice and have no strict policies about it," Jocelyn informed him.

"But I doubt that you will have much luck with any of our current team members," Geoffrey added with a grin.

"As for salary - as you can imagine our funds are not unlimited," Jocelyn continued, "and feeding a house full of were-creatures is not an exercise in frugality. All accommodation, food and transportation is covered by the Agency. Additionally, team members receive a modest monthly salary to cover any personal expenses they may have. Most find it more than sufficient."

Devon slumped in his chair in disappointment.

"Great, another measly defender salary," he grumbled. "Maybe I should have gone into corporate like my dad wanted..."

This time it was Sierra's turn to snicker. Devon chose to ignore her.

"Well, I can't speak for him, but I'm in," Sierra concluded when she finally got control of her mirth.

"Oh hell, so am I," Devon griped. "It's not like I've got anything better to do right now anyway."

Jocelyn smiled broadly and gestured towards the contracts.

"Please read them carefully before signing," she encouraged.

It didn't take long for either for them to peruse the short, two-page documents and put pen to paper in order to make their membership official.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

2.9K 168 15
Life was dull, boring, and mechanical. I’ve always wondered if this would change. If something interesting will happen. I always hoped something inte...
341K 10.6K 30
*HIGHEST RANKING: #1 in Jack Frost and #3 in snowflakes** "Who are you, and why the heck are you in my house?!" You ask the boy, pointing your hairb...
3.9M 74.6K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TAKEN SERIES: BOOK ONE TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self...
19.8K 1K 38
"𝑺𝑯𝑬'𝑺 𝑭𝑼𝑪𝑲𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑴𝑰𝑵𝑬, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒐𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒐𝒆𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒎𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆." ☆☆☆ "That's it...