Carack

By AprilDay

Teenage Gerent is thrown into a world of magic where he is expected to be a hero, but he was never a hero, ju... More

Carack Chapter one revised and complete
Carack Chapter 2 revised and complete
Carack Ch3 revised and complete
Carack Ch4 revised and complete
Carack Ch5 revised and complete
Carack Ch6 revised and complete
Carack Ch 7 revised and complete
Carack Ch8 revised and complete
Carack Ch9 revised and complete
Carack Ch10 revised and complete
Carack Ch11 revised and complete
Carack Ch12 revised and complete
Carack Ch 13 revised and complete
Carack Ch14 complete
Carack Ch15 revised and complete
Carack CH16 revised and complete
Chapter 17 complete
Carack Ch1 revised
CH 1 P2
Ch1 p3
Ch1 p4
Ch1 p5
Ch2 p1
Ch2 p2
Ch2 p3
Ch2 p4
Ch2 p5
Ch3 p1
Ch3 p2
Ch3 p3
Ch3 p4
Ch3 p5
CH3 P6
Ch3 p7
Ch4 p1
Ch4 p2
Ch4 p3
Ch4 p4
Carack Ch4 p5
Carack Ch4 p6
Carack Ch5 p1
Carack Ch 5 p2
Ch5 p3
Ch5 p4
Carack CH5 P5
Carack Ch5 p6
Carack Ch6 p1
Carack Ch6 p2
Carack CH6 P3
Carack Ch6 p4
Carack Ch6 p5
Carack Ch 7 p1
Carack Ch7 p2
Carack Ch7 p3
Carack Ch7 p4
Carack Ch 7 p5
Carack Ch 8 p1
Carack Ch8 p2
Carack Ch8 p3
Carack Ch8 p4
Carack Ch9 p1
Carack Ch9 p2
Carack Ch9 p3
Chapter 9 p4
Carack Ch10 P1
Carack Ch10 p2
Carack Ch10 p3
Carack Ch10 p4
Carack Ch11 p1
Carack Ch11 p2
Carack Ch11 p3
Carack Ch11 p4
Carack Ch12 p1
Carack Ch12 p2
Carack CH12 p3
Carack Ch13 p1
Carack Ch13 p2
Carack Ch 13 p3
Carack Ch14 p1
Carack Ch14 p2
Carack Ch14 p3
Carack ch15 p1
Carack Ch 15 p2
Carack ch15 p3
Carack Ch16 p1
Carack Ch16 p2
Carack Ch16 p3
Carack Ch17 P2
Carack Ch 17 p3

Carack Ch17 p1

977 9 0
By AprilDay

Chapter 17 Hugh

The next day the Brownies kept Sancret in his room to rest, though the salve had healed and removed all traces of the wounds caused by the wave creatures, he was still tired. In the afternoon they allowed Gerent to visit, Sancret was sat up in bed as he entered and Gerent could see bruise marks on his neck where Madron had gripped him. Sancret noticed Gerent’s glance and self-consciously touched the bruising.

‘Umberstan says they still show because the hands that made the marks were steeped in dark thoughts, but they should go in a couple of days. How are you?’

‘I’m fine, I can’t believe what happened and that he’s gone. What happened at the well, I mean why did he just go to dust like that?’ Gerent sat on the edge of the bed.

‘That’s the nature of the well water, I can’t really explain it, it is part of the castle, something the Warlock who built this place wove into its fabric. When I first came I found that the water dried anything that touched it by trying to water some plants using well water, I was glad I hadn’t put my hand in I can tell you!’

‘I thought you had had it you know, taking off the hauberk and Madron strangling you and pushing you in the well, you were amazing using that transposition spell!’

Sancret smiled, ‘Thank you, I don’t know, it just came to me as I was thinking this is the end. But you, you certainly used your powers well, I couldn’t have saved you from that drop!’

‘Just like you it came to me as I thought all was over!’ Gerent laughed, ‘I wonder how Euny, N’zar and everyone are getting on?’

‘I hope they have been successful, I shall go and look as soon as I’m allowed out of here.’ Sancret laughed as Umberstan appeared, folded his arms and with a firm look, said:

‘That’s enough for now Lordling, the Mage needs rest, he will be up in the morning.’ Gerent got up, went to the door.

‘I’ll see you in the morning then.’ He said and went downstairs to find M’zera.

Sancret joined M’zera and Gerent for breakfast and asked if they would like to look in the well with him, to which they both agreed and followed him into the observation room in the tower. Sancret leaned over the well and after the ripples ran inward the surface quivered to show a damp and rainy scene. They could make out Euny riding in front leading a column of sorry looking men; all of them looked wet through and had their heads down as they trudged on across a field.

‘Where is my brother and Xavier?’ asked M’zera scanning the image intently.

‘Who?’ asked Gerent.

‘Xavier, you call him by that ridiculous name the knights use, Cam.’

‘Oh Cam, I never knew that was his name.’ Gerent replied

‘I will look for them, I centred on Euny, I can only assume that they have been successful, there is not much here to show us what has happened. I’ll try N’zar.’ The image wavered, darkened and then showed the inside of a building that Gerent vaguely recognised, he could see N’zar, Wampa and Cam grouped around a woman with a child beside her.

‘I recognise that place, it’s the inn, the ‘Falcon’s Wing’!’ said Gerent excitedly, ‘and that must be the king’s daughter then,’ Gerent turned to Sancret who peered into the well.

‘I hope so’ he said, ‘at least they are all well and if they are looking for the queen then they must have defeated Morvah. I just wish I could hear what they were saying to be sure, perhaps Euny is bringing the men home while N’zar collects the queen, I don’t know.’ The image in the well darkened once more, quivered and returned to normal, Gerent looked up and realised that Sancret was still gazing into the well, the ripples in reverse ran in again and the water quivered but returned to flat calm, no image appeared. Gerent glanced at Sancret who looked worried and appeared to be going to raise an image again.

‘What is it?’ He asked, ‘What’s wrong?’ Sancret did not reply but tried to raise an image again and, once again, the well returned to its usual state.

‘Oh, no, no it cannot be.’ Sancret cried out in anguish, Gerent rushed to his side.

‘What is it? Are you in pain, have you tired so much you cannot raise another image? What, oh do say!’ Gerent was very concerned as Sancret turned from the well with his head in his hands, moaning, M’zera came round on the other side of him.

‘What is it great mage, are you in pain? Shall we call for the Brownies?’ she looked at Gerent across the warlock’s bowed shoulders and Gerent nodded, he didn’t know what to do, he placed an arm around Sancrethes shoulders. Umberstan appeared at M’zera’s call and was alarmed to see Sancret in obvious discomfort.

‘What is it Lord Mage, have you a new pain?’

‘Oh yes Umberstan,’ Sancret replied through his fingers, ‘but not one you can heal, please leave me all of you, leave me I shall be alright presently I promise you.’ The warlock did not raise his head and the three of them looked at each other; no one wanted to leave him alone while he was in this state.

‘You both go I’ll stay just in case, I’ll call if I need you,’ Gerent said as Umberstan looked reluctant to go, M’zera went quietly down the stairs and Umberstan vanished after a last glance at his mage.

Gerent, who had not let go of Sancret, walked him to a chair, pushed off the pile of books and made him sit. Sancret sat hunched forward, with his head still in his hands and he rocked back and forth slightly, moaning quietly.

‘No, oh no.’

‘Please tell me what is wrong San.’ Said Gerent with concern and without raising his head Sancret said:

‘Whom did you not see in the well?’ Gerent thought and said ‘Meendhu, why?’

‘I tried to centre on Meendhu, I tried more than once, you saw me try.’ Sancret looked up his face streaked with tears.

‘I didn’t know what or who you were looking for,’ replied Gerent.

‘I couldn’t centre on him, I couldn’t,’ Sancret moaned.

‘What does that mean?’ asked Gerent growing more concerned.

‘He’s dead, he’s dead, Meendhu is dead.’ Sancret cried and Gerent felt worse than if he had been hit, now he did not know what to say.

Gerent passed the next few days in a dull stupor and Sancret remained in the observation room, where the Brownies took his meals and frequently returned with them later in the day. Gerent went to be with him each day and they checked on the progress of those returning to Widnbrea, Euny’s progress back was hampered by frost, rain and hail, but as they drew closer the weather improved and so did their progress. N’zar, Wampa and Cam had a longer ride but were only about half a day behind Euny, they did have a child with them, who, despite Cam’s best efforts to keep dry, seemed to be succumbing to the weather.

The rain had reached the castle when Euny led the troop into the courtyard of Widnbrea. Gerent and M’zera were waiting there, in the drizzle, to greet them. As Euny dismounted, Gerent noticed a glance up at the tower and as Fogbow was relieved of the saddle Euny said to Gerent quietly.

‘He knows?’ Gerent nodded.

‘But not how.’ He said. Euny’s head rested against Fogbow’s flank as if in pain.

‘How can I tell my brother Meendhu died saving Cam from Morvah.’

‘Oh,’ said Gerent understanding, Euny looked up in a determined manner.

‘I shall have to give him the news, he will expect it of me.’ Euny turned to the soldiers and knights behind, ‘Men! Return to your families and give the good news of our victory! Friend Fogbow go to the stables, you have done well.’ Fogbow nuzzled Euny and trotted off. Euny strode purposely toward the entrance hall.

‘He has recovered from fighting Madron?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Gerent hurrying to keep up with Euny’s pace.

‘Leave us, I shall tell him alone, it will be best.’ Euny placed a hand on Gerent’s shoulder as they reached the foot of the staircase, smiled at him and mounted the steps two by two in the direction of the tower.

N’zar, Wampa, Cam and the girl arrived a few hours later, Gerent was standing in the doorway of the entrance hall, with M’zera, out of the drizzling rain, waiting to greet them as Sancret had asked him to do.

‘You will be needed there,’ was all he would say. Gerent watched as they dismounted and Cam lifted the girl off her horse, she was clearly nervous and as soon as Cam let go of her, she flew toward the castle entrance in a bid to escape. As Cam tried to catch her the hood of her cape flew back and Gerent instantly recognised her and shouted.

‘Lady Ia, this way! Come in out of the rain!’

The girl skidded to a halt and looked round at the shout, she saw Gerent, yelled.

‘Hugh!’ and watched by an amazed Cam, N’zar and Wampa she ran to him. Gerent flung out his arms and caught her up in a big spinning embrace, as she hugged his neck tightly, then Gerent set her down in front of him and they smiled at each other.

‘We meet again, Lady Ia, must we always meet in the rain?’ Gerent laughed.

‘You’re safe!’ she said, ‘I didn’t think I’d ever see you again. These men took me from my mother and say she is not my mother and they were horrid to me, except him,’ and she pointed at Cam, ‘he tried to be nice. Why did they bring me here, are they going to hurt me? Mother said not to talk to strangers and then she went and gave me to some and-’

‘Ia,’ Gerent interrupted, taking her hand, ‘come with me, you’re safe, trust me, you’re safe.’ Gerent took her into the living room and called Siennastan to come and get some dry clothes for the child. Ia was fascinated by the Brownie and was keen to go with her when Gerent said it was all right. so Siennastan took Ia to the room that had been prepared for her to wash and change.

N’zar, Cam and Wampa stomped into the entrance hall and began shaking off as much water from their cloaks as they could, N’zar spotted Gerent and hailed him.

‘Hugh! Tis good that thee doth know the girl, thou hast got more co-operation of her in five minutes than we hast gained in five days!’ Cam grinned ruefully and turned to M’zera, N’zar came over to Gerent, he put out his hand.

‘I hast an apology to make to thee,’ he said, ‘I dist see N’zim, I couldst hardly believe it, twas only briefly whilst in the inn, but he wast there. I didst see him standing beside the fire and none of the others couldst, he did smile at me and say all was well and that he hast our mother with him now. I didst not believe thee, or Meendhu come to that, on this but I wast wrong.’ Gerent shook the proffered hand.

‘I’m glad you saw him, you know he helped me find dry land in the flood, I liked your brother, I’m sorry that he is dead.’

‘Thank you, I am sorry Meendhu didst not come back safe with us, he didst save Cam from Morvah, pushed him out of the way of her needles, she must have improved on the spell because the effect was almost instant and there was nothing we couldst do to save Meendhu. It hast given us all a heavy heart with which to return. It also weighs on me that we lost Morvah, she did just disappeared in a sort of dark cloud, which rushed out the window, but as for the battle, fortunately, the guard didst not put up much resistance and as soon as Morvah was gone they didst begin to recover from the effects of the influence charm.’

‘Master Hugh, ‘tis a grand job yew! Us dun beat the maid an  Master Warlock dun beat ‘is Lordship! Cudon ‘av turned out better. Ow did ‘ee fulfil the prophecy then to make ‘en cum roight?’ Wampa enthused, Gerent looked embarrassed.

‘Er I don’t know, I haven’t done anything!’

‘I wouldn’t say that.’ Came Sancret’s voice from behind them and they turned to see him and Euny coming down the stairs.

‘N’zar, Cam and Wampa, how are you? A little damp I see, come in by the fire, Brownies! Food for us all! Bring Ia down’ He took Gerent by the shoulder and led the way into the living room. Ia appeared with Siennastan and she immediately went to Gerent and took hold of his hand, she looked frightened of Sancret, but he smiled at her and she relaxed her grip a little.

They sat at the table to eat what the Brownies brought and Sancret said, ‘Wampa just asked how Gerent had fulfilled the prophecy, well Gerent has completed it.’ Everyone looked at Gerent, who looked surprised, ‘How, when?’ he asked.

‘The prophecy goes,

‘When the Gamer has played a winning hand,

On St Agnes’ Eve the knight will reach his knoll,

And from darkness he shall save the land,

By an act of kindness and selflessness of soul.’

Well Gerent understands the first and second line, but what darkness could he save the land from, you all assume Madron, but would his rule be worst or would it be civil war, which would now begin if we did not have an heir to the throne. It is dark days indeed, I think, when countrymen kill countrymen and perform all the atrocities that go with that. Gerent selflessly went to rescue Ia from the flood, risked his life in doing so, and has prevented civil war from occurring. So you see, Gerent had fulfilled the prophecy almost as soon as he arrived. In fact, before, as he came here in place of his brother. Madron could no more stop that than the sun rising in the morning.’ Sancret smiled. Gerent was stunned, all this time he had kept on expecting some difficult task to perform and he had done it, twice already!

‘Now,’ said Sancret, ‘We must prepare for guests, all the Eorls, Lords and ladies who govern provinces for the king are gathering out side our walls, they were sent for by the lady Gytha as soon as Madron was defeated. Tonight, at a feast, we must introduce Ia to them and tomorrow, with any luck, we shall have their agreement that Ia is to be Queen. It will be a day of conference and departures as Ia must go to Chun, to be crowned there as soon as possible and most of you will escort her. Gerent, Ia and Euny after lunch I must speak with you, Ia needs to know what it is she undertakes.’ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

792 316 32
Updating Daily! #30DCApril24 The Dark One is on the move. Never seen, but always there. No one knows their name. No one knows if they're even a perso...
186 13 11
Sometimes the best knight is a damsel. In a world where women are seen as weak, defenceless creatures for men to protect and own, one orphan girl wan...
538 160 56
An ordinary high school girl from the modern world one day wakes up in a different world full of wizards,sorcerers, a land of magic and there she fac...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...