Like Minds III - Asylum (Amer...

By MicheSpade

Alex just left Nigel with only leaving a message on a note, telling him he probably comes back - only if poss... More

Chapter one - Eight years
Chapter two - Not a delusion
Chapter three - Attempting to escape
Chapter four - A wake up call
Chapter five - Be careful
Chapter six - Wrong direction
Chapter seven - Losing your memory now
Chapter eight - Introducing Grace
Chapter nine - Trouble and punishment
Chapter eleven - It's Alex
Chapter twelve - He and you
Chapter thirteen - Session
Chapter fourteen - The Whore of Babylon
Chapter fifteen - Bath time
Chapter sixteen - I trust you
Chapter seventeen - Forced to change
Chapter eighteen - Cooking chores
Chapter nineteen - Sterilization
Chapter twenty - You lied to me
Chapter 21 - Unfair
Chapter 23 - We are almost free
Chapter 24 - Desserted farm
Chapter 25 - Close to a place called a home
Chapter 26 - Assume the worst
Chapter 27 - What date is it?
Chapter 28 - Merry Christmas Alex
Chapter 29 - Don't you dare
Chapter 30 - I need him
Chapter 31 - Nightmares
Chapter 32 - Taking a bath
Chapter 33 - Plans during dinner
Chapter 34 - A trip towards the mall
Chapter 35 - Groceries and a body
Chapter 36 - Setting the house on fire
Chapter 37 - The morgue
Chapter 38 - Pieces
Chapter 39 - Ready to heal
Like Minds VI - Journey to England

Chapter 22 - He's up to something

64 6 0
By MicheSpade

Alex:

Grace nuzzled herself against the wall, her eyes widened and pointed on the persons talking there. She wanted to run up to Nigel, wrapping her arms around him, cuddling him, being grateful for what he'd done. She wanted to give him her apology. This all happened because of her. She refused to take Nigel his help - though it was messed up an perhaps insane. He'd killed someone, brutally. But in the end he all did it for her.

A tear left her eye corner, and she had to keep herself from snorting as she brushed it away - this time smearing blood on her cheek by herself. She bit on her lower lip, thought about dying this time. She didn't wanted this anymore. She wanted to collapse. To sink through her knees and cry, waiting till death and she would met. But she didn't gave up, not yet at least. She had gave Alex her promise - though she didn't thought she would actually help him in the beginning - and she wanted to be with Nigel. He wasn't dead, not yet at least, and that meant there had to be a way of escaping - or surviving.

She had silently followed the guards while Nigel got dragged with them, waiting for the perfect moment till she would finally have the courage to safe him - but she couldn't find it. Her legs felt like jelly and her hands were trembling as her head pounded. She felt weak, exhausted by her previous attack - though it had gave her so much adrenaline. Nevertheless she didn't gave up.

A strange version of panic overwhelmed Grace when she realized where they were walking to. It was the spot where the two dead man lied. The place that would serve Nigel death, and if Grace would help it would serve her death too. Grace her fingertips wrapped around the corner of the wall again, and her blue/green eyes scanned the corridor where the guard and Nigel walked through - or well, Nigel got rather dragged than he walked. Just as expected, the guards freaked out - and one of them even more as they realized what happened. The thing Grace felt even more sorry for now? The fact that they would suspect Nigel from killing two guards instead of one - though they would've punished hi too if it were only one, but still. And so did Grace had to watch how Nigel got beaten up, on the exact same way she had killed the guard. Her eyes filled with tears, and she roughly dropped her body against the wall as she pressed her hands against her mouth, trying to cry in silence - but she couldn't. Her hands, clothes, face, all covered with tiny and large spots of blood but she couldn't care. Not for what she'd done to Nigel.

When she finally heard the bat stopping from making knocking sounds, she finally dared to gaze again - only to see if Nigel actually still lived, though she didn't wanted to. With her trembling fingers she searched for the corner of the wall again, and she peeked at it to glance at Nigel - which was sitting against the wall now. She held her breath, seeing how he was still alive and suddenly...

...

There she stood, alone in the corridor where she'd seen all the things a few minutes ago. Again she began to sob, not even care about sobbing audible, and she slowly walked up to the office door - neither caring about the way she got visible now. Visible for all who would walk through the corridors. She pressed her hands against her lips, shaking her head as she wondered what happened behind that door. The door was opened, just by a little crack, and Grace tried her upper best to gaze through it.

Grace parted her lips, trying to breath normally as she listened carefully - hoping she would pick up their conversation if they would talk. Nigel took the arm from Doctor Harmon. It was weird to see Nigel's glance change, as if he recognized Dr. Harmon as a trusting person - since he wrapped his arms around him and hid his face in his neck as if they'd been the biggest friends. But then the difference came, since Nigel suddenly seemed to realize it wasn't the person he supposed to see.

There it was, her name mentioned in their sentences - because of course, she was escaped and it was noticeable. What did she had to do now? Running up to Nigel and saying she was there, playing hide and seek, not even helping him while he'd been in trouble? Just walking up to that office and getting in? She couldn't of course, so she kept staring through the little opening in the door, hoping that Nigel would be alright.

Nigel:

He continued to look around confused, because in his experience only a minute or two had past since that guard got off on him. And yet he was in the office now and it seemed almost an hour had passed. And Alex... why was he there?

"I don't understand..- I..-"

- "You killed two people in cold blood, Nigel, and you just hugged me. You appear to be even worse than I already thought. Now can you tell me where I can find Grace? .. if not.. perhaps another shock therapy would be required."

Nigel shook his head and turned back to dr. Harmon. He had all of his attention now.

"I don't know! I don't know where she is, I swear. But please, not another therapy. It made me worse last time. .. Please."

Dr. Harmon clicked his tongue once and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Nigel, but you have left me no other choice. You killed those guards and now they will want to kill you. Electroshock therapy might be the last and only chance to save you."

Alex:

Grace pressed her tiny shape closely against the wall, trying to open the door a bit more as she gazed through it. There she saw him, much better, entirely this time, and so did she saw Doctor Harmon - and she heard what they were saying. She didn't dared to breathe, neither dared to swallow - way too afraid they would hear her, though she was probably located in a much more dangerous place than she would be if she would be inside there, together with the two of them.

Her eyes filled with tears again, realizing what she'd done. What she was still doing. Could she safe him? Couldn't she do anything? Her forehead pressed against the doorframe, and she closed her eyes for a moment as she hardly bit on her lower lip - allowing the blood to fill her mouth, though it was only just a bit. And then she gazed up, roughly grabbing the candlestick from the wall and swinging open the door, first standing there for a couple of seconds till they turned, but then inhaling deeply but hesitating. It was time.

'Leave us alone!' she yelled as she threw the candle in the direction of Doctor Harmon his head - missing abruptly, it didn't came even close. She sank through her knees, again pressing her hands against her mouth as she shook her head.

'Just leave us alone,' she repeated again. 'Don't ever touch him again. Pick me, just pick me, I beg you.' She grabbed something from the ground and agains threw it toward Doctor Harmon his head - again missing. 'What would you've done if some one you really liked was in trouble, screaming for help? It doesn't even matters if it's mentally of physically. You can see it, you can feel it! You should understand us as a proper doctor. Is it God what you all speak off? How can He allow such pricks to be His servants!?'

Nigel:

Dr. Harmon managed to dodge the objects thrown at him by Grace but seemed momentarily too surprised and scared to be hit to react immediately as a doctor should.

For someone who's just seemed catatonic Nigel, on the other hand, reacted razorly fast. Dr. Harmon was still leaning backwards on his desk when Nigel had appeared at Grace's side. He took her wrists to lower her hands from her face and tried to make her look at him.

"Grace. Stop. Please.. This is not helping."

His voice was calm, soothing almost.. not judging., It was funny how he could change from a delusional mental patient into someone who seemed more mentally developed than most of the doctors in this hellhole.

"Silence! Stop it, both of you! Nigel, let go off Grace. I need you both to stay away from each other. Step aside."

Nigel hesitated momentarily but then, probably wisely, let go a stepped aside like Dr. Harmon told him.

Alex:

Grace kept yelping as she pulled her legs up, shaking her head as she tried to breath normally. She bit roughly on her lower lip, searching for Dr. Harmon his eyes as she rubbed her tears away. 'They told us we're monsters. But we all are. All monsters are human. I bet you are even worse then we.' Her hand searched for another object to throw, and right after she threw it against Dr. Harmon his desk, Nigel flashed up and grabbed her wrists to get her calm.

Grace gasped for breath, staring Nigel straight in the eyes as he spoke. Nevertheless, she could barely hear what he was saying - though there was his voice that at least calmed her down. She slowly wrapped her fingers around the palms of his hands, and swallowed as she bit on her lower lip again.

'It has to,' she muttered, almost naggingly. 'They can't do this to us. They can't kill you Nigel, please-'

Suddenly there was Dr. Harmon his voice that roughly cut through the soft vocals that escaped Nigel his lips. Grace startled, and gazed up - immediately her eyes fixed upon Dr. Harmon's as he commanded Nigel to step aside.

'Nigel...'

Grace swallowed and looked up, hearing how two guards popped up from behind. 'Nigel please, don't listen to him. We deserve much better then this. You're so much smarter then this.' The guards walked straight up to Grace, and grabbed her arms to roughly pull her up.

'It's time for your operation, Grace.'

Grace roughly turned her head and gasped again, trying to release herself from the strong hands that kept her in captivation. Struggling was useless, but she still tried her best.

'What? No! No you can't do this. Let me go. Get off me!'

'Gentlemen, let her go...' Dr. Harmon slowly walked up to Grace, and folded his hand around her chin, lifting it up so her teary eyes would me this. 'We are going to be okay. I got this.'

Nigel:

He was about to tell her he wasn't going to be killed. But in the end he didn't even get the chance to because two guards appeared at her side and grabbed her arms. Nigel put his hands in his pocket and stared down, as if he had surrendered to the madness already. At the same time his hand in his pocket clenched around a syringe he had gotten off the guard he'd taken down before.. If they made as much as a move to the door with Grace he wóuld attack. He just didn't want them to see it coming.

In the end he didn't have to, though.. Not yet at least. Thanks to dr. Harmon, surprisingly, the guards let Grace go and left the office. Nigel looked up at dr. Harmon confused. Why would he do that? Do her a kindness? If Nigel was thinking properly he'd probably realize that it couldn't be a kindness. Not in this place. Not from him. But for all Nigel knew dr. Harmon was still a doctor who wanted best for his students. He was truly that naïve.

Alex:

Doctor Harmon nodded lightly, and shoved his hands into his pockets - just like Nigel did - after he took off his glasses and placing it on the desk next to him. She pursed his lips, creating this pensive expression as he kept silence for at least a minute.

'Do you two fancy for a drink?' he suddenly asked as he glanced up, picking his glasses back from the desk and placing it accurately on the bone of his nose. Grace kept standing in front of the desk, her head pointing down and her shoulders shrunken. Her body lightly trembled, and she clenched her jaws as she felt Doctor Harmon his eyes burning in her skin. Was he kidding? Fancy for a drink?

After a second of thirty, she finally glanced up - searching for Nigel his eyes who was still staring down at the ground. She slowly wetted her lips now, not paying any attention to Doctor Harmon who was still staring at them, not making a move.

'No? Because I have some delicious liquor.'

Nigel:

Nigel didn't move or reply at first. When he was convinced dr. Harmon was looking away he threw Grace a quick warning glance though. He warned her not to take anything from him, even if she had already though of it himself. He might be trying to slip something into their systems that would knock them both out. Or worse.

This warning also proved that Nigel wasn't that brainwashed yet at all, and that he did care what they would do to Grace.

"No thank you," he said finally to break the silence. He kept his head turned down, however, because he was afraid that if dr. Harmon would see the look in his eyes he could betray the fact he was carrying a knife at the very moment.

Alex:

Grace her eyes fixed on Nigel's for a moment, and he lightly nodded - barely visible - as she picked up his glance. Not that she even considered taking a drink from Doctor Harmon. He'd been the most oddest guy she'd seen her, and she didn't trust him at all. His way of acting was way too, strange to be believe. He was up to something. Something that Grace couldn't put her finger on. But she would, sooner or later.

Her glance went back to Doctor Harmon now - who was already preparing two drinks in little crystal glasses. Glasses which much be very expensive. Grace suspiciously pursed her lips and blinked a few times, slowly shaking her head as he stuck out the glass toward her direction - inviting her to take it.

'No, thank you,' she muttered. The "thank you" hardly left her throat, but it did after all - though it had cost her quite some effort. She inhaled deeply, glancing back at Nigel as she took some steps backwards. Doctor Harmon got from his desk, walking up to her after placing Grace her glass on the desk with a little sigh.

'As you wish,' he muttered. 'But you don't understand what you're missing.' He took a big gulp and pulled up his nostrils by the bitter taste, burning in his throat. Salty tears still rested on Grace her cheekbones, and Doctor Harmon took all the effort to gently stroke them away.

'So vulnerable...' he muttered as he shook his head, making this tutting voice with his mouth. His fingers followed the contours of Grace her jawline, and went downwards by her neck toward her shoulder further to her arm.

'So distracted...'

Grace swallowed as an unpleasant shiver ran down her spine, and glances away to Nigel who still stood there, staring down at the ground.

'And you,' Doctor Harmon muttered then, less politely to Nigel - as if he talked to a filthy animal. 'Your deeds can not be tolerated, Colbie. I told you I wanted to help, but you don't seem to care. Why do I waste my precious time with you?' A frown got revealed on his forehead, and he grabbed his lower lip with his thumb and index finger - creating this thoughtful expression on his face.

'...Getting this young lady into troubles... That's not what a real gentleman supposes to do.'

Nigel:

He stared at the other glass he'd poured. One that none of them would drink. It probably wasn't poisoned but still he didn't regret his decision to refuse the offer. His mind was already not in the best state, he didn't want to know what his mind would do if he had alcohol.

His eye got caught by a sudden movement of dr. Harmon then. And as the psychiatrist stroked Grace's jaw Nigel's hand clenched around the knife again. He didn't attack, though, not yet.. He wouldn't unless it was absolutely necessary.

He frowned at that comment. The sudden hostility caught him off guard, if only for a moment.. Dr. Harmon had been extremely kind and calm with him before. Like he truly wanted best for him. He wondered what caused the change in him.

The last comment made him discard the entire reasoning of dr. Harmon's kindness though and he shot the other a cold glance.

"Neither is serving alcohol to mental patients or intimidating them, doctor." he added for special effect, lifting his chin slightly in defensive display.

Alex:

Another shiver ran down her spine and she swallowed laborious as Doctor Harmon stroked his thumb along her lower lip. As his fingers ran over her jaw again, she sucked in her lower lip, tasting the powdery poison he'd dropped in her glass. It was obvious he'd tried to poison them. Some of it was wasted on his sleeve. A brief smile crept over the doctor his lips, and he narrowed his eyes as he gazed up - staring at Nigel who had just thrown a powerful sentence to his head. Grace couldn't keep herself from staring admirable at Nigel, her eyes lightly narrowed as this little smile of fascination hid in the corners of her mouth.

A soft, ridicule sigh escaped the doctor his lips, and he scratched at the skin next to his brow as he wetted his lips - a sign that it highly irritated him. He was losing himself.

'Wiseacre,' he muttered as he shook his head. 'Unbelievable how love can be blinding...' He laughed softly - something that didn't fit in with his facial expression - and glanced back to Grace as he continued touching her. 'Such a waste,' he suddenly muttered as he seemed to get this obsessive stare on his face. 'Such nice skin...'

Grace batted his hand away and stepped backwards, taking place next to Nigel as she wrapped her fingers around his wrist - hiding her face lightly in his neck afterwards - showing some of herself being frightened. She placed her hand upon Nigel his chest and brought her lips to his neck - acting like she was about to sob in his neck, or like she wasn't feeling well. Doctor Harmon nibbled nervously on his lower lip, gulping the whole glass of liquor empty and walking away afterwards - to the room next to this one. It seemed to be some kind of broom cupboard. He talked to himself, but it was practically impossible to understand what he was saying.

'Nigel?' Grace whispered as she wrapped an arm around him - still acting like she was feeling sick. She pressed her cheek against his and blinked a few times. 'He tries to poison us. I saw it. There's something wrong with this guy, I tell you...' She swallowed and pressed her lips for a second, breathing in his neck as she fixed her ears on the sound next doors. 'He's up to something. I think he isn't who he says he is.'

Nigel:

Nigel almost attacked when dr. Harmon continued to touch Grace's skin. So it was a good thing Grace wrapped herself against him, making unable to.. Or it would've been a bloodbath all over again.

He buried his lips in her hair but his eyes remained sharply focused on dr. Harmon who suddenly disappeared through the door. Why did he leave like that? What doctor would leave two mental patients alone in his office.

"I know," Nigel breathed back, trying to stay quiet enough so the psychiatrist wouldn't hear it.

"What do you suggest we do?"

Alex:

Grace pierced the skin of her lower lip with her teeth as she buried her face in Nigel his neck, frowning deeply as she listened to his words. She nodded, lightly and just for a second or two - since she couldn't move that easily with her head buried there. Her fingers searched for Nigel's other hand, and followed the veins on his arm towards his wrist - realizing he kept his hand hidden in that pocket. She pulled her head back for a bit, looking down at his pocket and catch a glimpse of the knife. She choked in her breath and hid her face in his neck again, trying to find the right words as she listened carefully to the cluttering noises in the other room.

'I don't know...' she breathed back. She cocked her head and searched for eye contact. 'How did you get that?' pointing at the knife as her fingers stroked one the back of his hand for a second. She shook her head again and nuzzled against his chest, staring at the desk as she deeply inhaled through the nose.

'Do you see that bowl on the desk? Meant to be filled with mints?' Grace pressed her fingertips in Nigel his back to force him to glance at it. 'It looks very familiar to a slice of a human skull. Is that normal, for a doctor?' In Grace her eyes it wasn't even close to something normal. Where did he even got it?

Another cluttering noise got audible, and for a moment it seemed like they were located at a dentist - hearing a driller zooming.

'What the hell is he doing?' She clenched her teeth and searched for Nigel his eyes again, nibbling on the inside of her lower lip as she thought. 'You got that knife right? Give it to me, I'll try to open the door... You watch, okay?' Her hand slowly slid down his arm again into his pocket where his hand was still wrapped around the knife in his pocket. 'Trust me,' she whispered then.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.6K 4.7K 7
M/M EROTIC ROMANCE / SUPERNATURAL When Dr. Frank Harlan, the head psychiatrist at Black Moon Asylum, took in six-year-old Alec Strom, he knew the chi...
95.5K 5.2K 82
Book #3 in The Fire series BLAKE RIVERA "You're the leader of a gang." Aiden yells. I look up at him. "You don't think I know that?" I yel...
229 69 59
17 different people, meeting after being separated. Cursed by the last laughing witch. Finds light when Allison saw them and gave them shelter. Haunt...
12.2K 453 16
"Jesus, Alberto. You look like you've been tortured." "Thank you, I was." Five Hargreeves x Male Oc 𝐀𝐋𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐙, at 15, was forced to eva...