My Michelle.- Complete Story!

By micmat

It's 1963. The Beatles have just hit the big time. The lads have the world at their feet. Then, a chance meet... More

Chapter 1 - Michelle
Chaper 2 - Paul.
Chapter 3 - Secrets
Chapter 4 - Decisions.
Chapter 5 - The aftermath
Chapter 6 - Moving on
Chapter 7 - More Secrets Revealed.
Chapter 8 - History.
Chapter 9 - Admitting all.
Chapter 10 - Learning To Trust.
Chapter 11 The Demons Return
Chapter 12:- Demons Defeated.
Chapter 13 - Plans
Chapter 14 - Reunion.
Chapter 15 - Unexpected.
Chapter 16 - Breaking News.
Chapter 17 - Christmas
Chapter 18 - The Arrival.
Chapter 19 - Letting Go.
Chapter 20 - Heartbreak.
Chapter 21 - Separation
Chapter 22 - The Tipping Point.
Chapter 23 - Balancing Act.
Chapter 24 - Redressing the balance.
Chapter 25 - The journey.
Chapter 26 - First Step.
Chapter 27 - A New Beginning.
Chapter 28 - Moving Forward.
Chapter 29 - New Beginnings.
Chapter 30 - Making Plans
Chapter 31 - One and one makes four?
Chapter 32 - Homecoming.
Chapter 33 - Betrayal.
Chapter 34 - Heartache
Chapter 35 - More pain
Chapter 36 - Inner Strength?
Chapter 38 - Taking control
Chapter 39 - A Christmas Gift.
Chapter 40 - Alice.
Chapter 41- Reasons.
Chapter 42 - Explanations
Chapter 43 - Scotland.
Chapter 44 - New Beginnings.
Chapter 45 - March 1985
Chapter 46 - Press Release
Chapter 47 - Goodbyes
Chapter 48 - Normality?
Chapter 49 - Accused.
Chapter 50- DNA
Chapter 51 - Desparation
Chapter 52 - Family
Chapter 53 - Conclusion

Chapter 37 - Fighting Back

411 8 0
By micmat

The court date to decide on the custody of the twins was set. Michelle turned up early, accompanied George Martin. She was petrified but held herself together in order to show she was strong. Paul was called to the stand and asked to make his appeal to the court. Michelle felt her stomach lurch as she saw him for the first time since he had left. She kept her eyes on him but he showed no reaction to her.

"Your Honour," he began, "I have great concerns regarding the quality of care and safety of my children if they are left in the long term care of my wife once we are divorced. These concerns come from the fact that my wife has a history of mental health problems. Including in 1965, when she had to be hospitalized for over two months following a mental breakdown. During this time she attacked myself twice and attacked a member of hospital staff resulting in injuries requiring urgent medical treatment and resulting in a long term absence from work. I am concerned that should this state return, which we were told could do so, especially once her current pregnancy reaches its end, that she could do something to harm herself or the children.

I hope the court can see that despite the young age of the children and the fact that my wife is currently pregnant, for the safety of all three children, they would be better placed with me with my wife having supervised access."

Michelle sat in silence next to George. She could feel his anger towards Paul so she squeezed his hand. Next, the court reports were read out about her. The first was a report done after coming to see her with the children a home. To her relief it was all complimentary, praising her patience, her sense of fun and the fact that both children were very well cared for.

Next was the psychological reports. Michelle's heart plummeted with fear. This was the part she had been dreading. First was Helen Morris. She described Michelle's history but put it in the context of trauma and how humans deal with it. She praised her for how hard she had worked to recover and how she had completed the transition from hospital to home quickly. She also went on the report how well she was now and felt the children would be damaged if removed from their mother's care as that was all they had known for most of their short lives. Michelle was intensely grateful for those comments and felt that it that at least showed something positive about her.

After that, a doctor appointed by the courts stood to speak. Michelle felt sick with fear. She was shaking. George Martin held her hand to try to reassure her.

"I met Mrs. McCartney on two occasions. Firstly, I spent two hours in the family home and observed her normal interactions with her children. The twins had had a restless night because they had been teething. Mrs. McCartney explained how when this was the case the care was shared with herself and her house keeper. I met the housekeeper, a delightful woman by the name of Rose. She has worked for the McCartney family for nearly ten years and said the twins felt like her own grandchildren. It was clear she loves those children as if they were her own! The children were having lunch as I arrived. They were both sat in high chairs next to a big table where Mrs. McCartney and Rose were eating with them. On the whole they were able to feed themselves the sandwiches that were for their lunch. Mrs. McCartney explained how she always made sure that she ate with the children as she wanted them to learn table manners and interaction over food from an early age. The twins had milk in a bottle with their meal. Mrs. McCartney stopped breastfeeding three weeks ago in preparation for the arrival of the couple's third child in just over 7 weeks. I was struck by how happy the children were. They were comfortable with me as a stranger in the house and insisted I had a sandwich too! After eating the children had a period of play. Mrs. McCartney and Rose played games with the children. There sang songs which it was clear the children were familiar with and they tried to join in.

I briefly examined both children. They are both of good size and ideal weight. They both show excellent dexterity, and the little girl particularly was making good attempts to speak. They are clearly stimulated and happy. Both children are showing signs of standing with the support of furniture and the little boy was trying to make supported steps. Both children show that their development and their understanding of language is advanced for their age. The children were due an afternoon sleep. Mrs. McCartney read them a quiet story which was clear is also part of their normal routine.

As the children slept I talked to Mrs. McCartney about her children, how she was since the breakdown of her marriage and her previous depression issue. She was open, honest and frank.

My findings as to Mrs. McCartney's mental health are this – she is a calm, intelligent and caring woman who has no issues despite the enormous stress her current marital situation has caused to her. Her children are happy and contented and very well cared for. She does admit that now she is heavily pregnant she is unable to carry or cuddle the children in the way she would like to  however this does not appear to have had any impact on the children. Mrs. McCartney clearly is a fantastic loving parent to those children and I would particularly like to praise the lady known as Rose. She provides Mrs. McCartney with the physical support she needs this late in pregnancy but is also clearly very fond of her and the children. They make a happy stable family for the children and the new baby too, to be brought up in.  Therefore my recommendations are that Mrs. McCartney should remain the main carer for these children. To remove the twins and the baby yet to be born from this wonderful setting would be highly damaging for both mother and children."

Michelle stared at her feet. She was shaking and her teeth were chattering. She could not believe her ears. Slowly she raised her head and allowed herself to look in Paul's direction. He was looking straight back at her, his face impassive. Suddenly the judge spoke.

"The court has listened carefully to all the reports in this case. I think they provide us with a straight forward solution in this situation. Firstly, the court rules that the twins and the new baby are to remain in the custody of their mother. The mother has no issues with mental health or ability to care for her children effectively. However, Mr. McCartney has stated that his wife has prevented him from seeing his children since the break down of their marriage. Although Mrs. McCartney disputes this, I state that those children need both parents and that Mrs. McCartney, I plead to your goodness as a parent to allow access at times when it is convenient for you and your children's routines.

Mr. McCartney, I feel that the charges you brought about your wife  were done so maliciously. You should be proud that your wife is able to bring your children up so well. Whatever the differences that led to the breakdown of your marriage, they should be put behind you both and your focus should be on your children.

Court please rise."

Michelle couldn't move. After all the stress and anxiety of the last few months was finally hitting home. George Martin squeezed her hand and roused her from her weariness. She stood and followed him out of the court room. As she was about to get into the car she heard someone call her name. She turned. It was Paul walking towards her. She stood and waited.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry for everything. I know you're a good mum."

Michelle mumbled her thanks and turned to get in the car. As she was driven away she saw that Paul was watching her.

George Martin dropped her off at the house after declining to come in. Michelle put the key in the lock and went in. She walked down the hall way and into the kitchen where she could hear the happy squeals of the children. She pushed the door open to find Richard sat on the floor rolling a toy car between the twins. Rose went to her.

"How did it go?"

"Let me sit down," said Michelle wearily, "Then I'll tell you then." She sat down and looked at their expectant faces. Suddenly she started to cry.

Rose put her hand to her mouth. "No!"

Richard put his arm around her. "What happened?

"They're safe," she whispered, "They stay here. I'm just so relieved. It's all been such a nightmare! And I'm so tired!"

Rose hugged her. "I knew you'd keep them. That doctor made lots of nice comments about you to me."

Michelle struggled to stand up and walked to where here children were now squabbling over the toy car. She picked her son up and hugged him tight. He struggled in her arms, his attention on the car his sister now held. Rose took him from her and Michelle picked up Kathryn. Kathryn dropped the car and focused on her mother.

"Mamama," she said hugging her.

"Did you hear that?" said Michelle, an enormous grin on her face, "She said Mum!"

Michelle sat down and perched Kathryn on the edge of the table facing her and talked to her. Rose made Michelle a sandwich which she began to eat gratefully. Kathryn decided it looked good and helped her to eat it, Michelle feeding her little pieces. Her brother noticed this and demanded to come up to share too. Rose prepared them their evening meal in order to give Michelle a little peace. Once they were in their high chairs, Michelle found the tiredness having more of an effect. She yawned constantly and her eyes drooped.

"Go to bed Michelle, these two will be fine with me." said Rose softly.

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine. Anyway, you've had them all day."

"Michelle love," said Richard, "Rose is right. You're exhausted. You go up and sleep. I can stay over and help with the twins. They'll be absolutely fine. Come on, all this stress isn't good for you now. You need your strength."

Michelle looked at them both. She felt very tempted. "Are you sure?" She looked from Rose to Richard. "I just feel as though I've put on you so much recently."

"And no doubt it will get worse over the next few weeks and once the baby is born, but we're happy to help." said Richard softly, "Now sleep Michelle, you'll be no use to anyone exhausted."

Eventually she agreed. She kissed her children good night and wearily went to bed. She did not stir until she heard the soft murmurings of one of the children the next morning. She got up and tiptoed down the landing. Kathryn was awake. Michelle picked her up and took her downstairs so as not to disturb the rest of the household. Kathryn was eating her breakfast in her high chair when Michelle heard the cries of James. After placing him alongside his sister, she spent a pleasant couple of hours with them. Michelle realized, for the first time in a long time, that she felt happy. Now that the stress of the court was over and a good sleep she was ready to tackle anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 276 35
After 10 years of hard work, Wu Xie was finally able to clean up all the spies lurking around The Mystic Nine. But they are once again encountering a...
926K 15.8K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
29.1K 600 36
They made a deal. A deal to spend a month in the same house together. But a month might be too much time to let go of someone. -Isabella Rose is a...