Chapter 38 - Taking control

It wasn’t until almost 10.00am that Michelle heard Richard and Rose stirring. They were surprised at how late it was and annoyed that Michelle hadn’t woken them to help with the twins.

“I wanted to let you to rest, as a thank you and because,” she said with a wink and a grin, “you’re no use to me exhausted!”

Laughing Rose and Richard agreed to sit down and let Michelle make them breakfast for once. After chatting over breakfast Richard left for work and Michelle and Rose cleared up.

“I feel like going to the park,” said Michelle suddenly, “It’s such a lovely crisp day. Wrapped up in their pram, these two will be fine.”

“Would you like me to come with you?”

“Actually Rose,” said Michelle, taking the woman’s hand, “Would you be offended if I said no? I just want to do a normal mummy thing on my own with my beautiful babies. I feel like I’ve been too exhausted and stressed to enjoy them lately and I want to catch up before this one arrives.”

The park was wonderful! There was no wind and the air was crisp but cold so only a few dong walkers and young mums like herself braved the day. The trees were almost bare and the russet and gold of autumn had nearly vanished. Michelle strolled along talking to the twins and pointing out things to them. They burbled and chatted with her and each other. Michelle positioned the pram near the lake so that the children could see the ducks and geese and she told them all about them.

“I guessed you’d be here.”

Michelle turned. Startled. “Paul!”

“Sorry …..I rang to speak to you but Rose said you’d come to the park. I thought I’d take a chance of catching up with you.”

Michelle nodded and, not really sure what to say to him, turned her attention back to the twins who were starting to complain. She saw they were tired and lay them down.

“I need to walk to get them to sleep,” she said and began to move.

“Mind if I join you?”

Shrugging, Michelle carried on so he hurried after her. They walked in silence, neither sure of what to say. Finally, once the twins were asleep, Michelle sat on a bench to rest. Paul sat beside her. Michelle looked across the lake, watching the geese looking for food. For a few minutes neither of them spoke.

“I can’t believe how much they’ve grown! He said quietly, looking at the children sleeping.

Michelle nodded. “I know – they’re both trying to walk too! That’s going to be fun trying to keep and eye on those two once they’re on their feet.”

Paul was silent for a while. “I wanted to come and see you to see if you were OK after yesterday.”

Michelle looked at him. “I am now – but no thanks to you!”

“I know – I’m sorry. I never meant things to be like this Michelle.” He looked at his left hand where his wedding ring still sat, “I regret everything I’ve done to you. I wish I could turn back the clock and make sure it never happens – but I can’t. I’m sorry.”

Michelle looked surprised but made no comment.

He looked up at her. “I know this is an awfully big ask but I was hoping that you and I could…well maybe try to be friendly towards each other, for the sake of the kids if nothing else.”

“I like nothing more than for the children to see us together as friends but…” Michelle paused, “…but what about your new baby and the mother? How will she feel about that?”