Chapter 50- DNA

Three very tense weeks later Michelle took a phone call informing her that he DNA results were now ready. That evening she explained the arrangements with the children. Michelle was to go to the prison where the person who had killed Paul was being held. All results were to be opened in his presence and with all legal representatives present.

“I want to come with you.” said James suddenly.

“No….no James. Please…I don’t want you to see this person. Uncle Mike has said he’ll come with me…and Tom, our solicitor will be there too.”

“Mum, I want to see him. I want to ask him why he killed my dad.”

“We know why sweetheart – he’s already confessed to that. This is to sort his claim that your dad was his dad too.”

“James is right mum,” said Kathryn softly, “we should be there.”

“…but….” Michelle stopped, unable to say what she feared the most.

“And if this person is our half sibling then at least we’ll have seen him.” Kathryn walked toward her. “Mum, we’re adults now, except for Michael, but we’ve all been through enough since dad died to be there with you, whatever the results say.”

 The following morning, Michelle, Mike and all four children were allowed access to the legal suite of HMP Belmarsh. Tom was waiting for her. He was surprised to see the children but made no comment. At exactly 10am the door opened. Three guards entered, one was handcuffed to a young man, only slightly younger than James. Michelle looked at him and, despite the pain he had caused her family, felt sorry for him for he was nothing but a child. After listening to both sides of the legal team making statements, envelopes were handed out to her and to the young man.

“Mrs. McCartney, could you open your envelope first and read your results.”

Michelle opened the envelope and scanned the information in front of her.

“It says the following…

The following tests were carried out to confirm paternal parentage of the following people named below. As the named father, James Paul McCartney (DOB:-18.6.1942) is deceased then familial DNA has been used from his sibling Michael John McCarthy (DOB:- 6.2.1944). Familial DNA confirms a biological link at around 95 - 97%

Test 1:- James Peter McCartney. Born:- February 19th 1968. The test reveals a 97% DNA match. This confirms that James Paul McCartney is his biological father.

Test 2:- Kathryn Mary McCartney. Born:- February 19th 1968. The test reveals a 97% DNA match. This confirms that James Paul McCartney is her biological father.

Test 3:- Alice Jane McCartney. Born:- December 26th 1968. The test reveals a 97% DNA match. This confirms that James Paul McCartney is her biological father.

Test 4:- Michael John McCartney. Born:- June 18th 1977. The test reveals a 97% DNA match. This confirms that James Paul McCartney is his biological father.

Test 5:- Peter Hopkins. This test was carried out to establish any genetic link between the four people named above. The % of any genetic link is less than 0.0001%.  This test confirms that there is no genetic link between any of the biological children of James Paul McCartney (DOB 18.6.1942) and Peter Hopkins.”

Michelle stopped reading.

“Peter Hopkins please read aloud your results.

“Test 1:- Paternal DNA for Peter Hopkins born October 14th 1988. The test states that the % of genetic link between the above names and Michael John McCartney born February 6th 1944 is 0.0001%. This confirms that there is no genetic or familial link between Peter Hopkins and the four biological children of Mr.James Paul McCartney (deceased.)”

Michelle absorbed the news then looked to her family in front of her. Alice was crying softly whilst James and Kathryn hugged each other. As usual, young Michael stayed close to his uncle but stared at her wide eyed.

“Do you understand what all that was saying?” she asked them softly, “it confirms that there is no doubt that Paul was your dad and that this person here,” she pointed to the young man facing them, “isn’t related to you in anyway. Your dad never let any of us down, like I told you he wouldn’t. There was never any affair. He loved you so much! Remember your dad for what he was – a good man who loved the very bones of you all!”