Insincere Veneer

By ScrxptumAmore

Elizabeth Ryder isn't the same person she was merely a year ago. After leading a very rough life, she decided... More

Author's Note
|Prologue|
|Chapter 1|
|Chapter 2|
|Chapter 3|
|Chapter 4|
|Chapter 6|
|Chapter 7|
|Chapter 8|
|Chapter 9|
|Chapter 10|
|Chapter 11|
|Chapter 12|
|Chapter 13|
|Chapter 14|
|Chapter 15|
|Chapter 16|
|Chapter 17|
|Chapter 18|
|Chapter 19|
|Chapter 20|
|Chapter 21|
|Chapter 22|
|Chapter 23|
|Chapter 24|
|Chapter 25|
|Chapter 26|
|Chapter 27|
|Chapter 28|
|Chapter 29|

|Chapter 5|

257 35 21
By ScrxptumAmore

Up there is Aaron Taylor Johnson as the guy mentioned in this chapter!

I cannot thank any of you enough for everything. The reads, comments, and votes I'm getting keep me motivated to go on and write this story, so thank you all! You're the ultimate best. ;)

Dedicated to @likealunatic for the beautiful cover! Thank you, it's gorgeous!

Happy Reading! =)

~HG xx

                          |Chapter 5|

"Liz, wake up!" Mom's voice boomed from downstairs.

"I'm awake!" I replied before falling back on my bed in a 'thud'. My eyes fluttered close after I got cozy beneath my warm blankets.

I will wake up when I am done with counting thirty cupcakes, I thought.

One cupcake, two cupcakes, three cupcakes... and I fell back asleep.

"Elizabeth Martina Ryder, if you don't wake up this minute, you'll be grounded for a month!" Mom burst into my room.

"Okay, okay! I'm up!" I jumped off my bed before tripping on my blankets and falling- oh so gracefully- on the wooden floor.

"Be dressed in twenty minutes, you cannot be late for school!" Mom scolded me angrily before going out the door.

It is my first day of school.

I groaned loudly before going into the bathroom and doing my morning routine: taking a shower, brushing my teeth, and drying my hair. After that, I decided on what my outfit is going to be, which consisted of black jeggings, a black tank top, a black leather jacket, and black leather boots.

What? I want people's first impression of me to be dark, mysterious, and very intimidating. That way, no one will ever think of trying to talk to me.

At least I hope so.

I went over to my mirror to apply my make up. The past few days, I have been watching YouTube make up tutorial videos and trying the techniques out. Surprisingly, my attempts were not that bad. In fact, I was very proud of them.

Today, I applied dark, red lipstick and black eyeliner. I also curled my hair for a change. When I was satisfied with my overall look, I headed downstairs for a quick breakfast.

Judging by the heavenly smell, it will not be all that quick.

I entered the kitchen only to find pancakes, scrambled eggs, and fried beef bacon strips served on the table and ready to be eaten.

"Morning," I greeted. I hugged Mom and Dad and kissed Sophia's cheek earning a winning smile from her.

"Slept well?" Dad asked me.

"Sure," I replied with no enthusiasm at all.

I did not sleep.

I stayed up all night, tossing and turning, thinking about and dreading what was to come today, until I finally slept when the sun began to rise upon the horizon.

I ate my food quietly while pretending to listen to my family talking about everything and anything. My head was playing all sorts of scenarios of me bumping into someone, accidentally and having to apologize, me answering questions in class, determined to stay a straight A student, or worse, me doing something embarrassing that will set the whole school in hysterical laughs, resulting in me being the school's joke yet again.

I am in a living nightmare.

"Do you want me to drive you to school?" Dad offered. I shook my head as a silent 'no'.

"I'll just walk there," I replied quietly.

"Are you sure?" I nodded in reply. "Well, then, it's a ten minute walk from here so you should get going."

I got up and waved at them goodbye before grabbing my bag and heading out the door. It was a matter of minutes before my nerves kicked in once again. I started trembling at the scary thought of being bullied and laughed at. I was afraid of being hurt and experiencing pain, sorrow, and grief yet again.

I was terrified of everything.

It was when I saw the high school building in front of me that I realized I have been trapped in my dreadful thoughts for ten minutes. I took in a very deep breath before taking cautious steps to the school gates.

People from every direction stared at my every move. Girls started gossiping and boys stared for a moment or two before going on with whatever they were talking about. Sweet looking girls smiled at me as they walked my way and earned a brutal, icy death glare in return. My eyes wandered and searched for the school's administration, and they successfully landed on a sign saying "Administration" a few minutes later. I went to the front desk and nervously said the next few words.

"I'm a new student here." The brunette with thick framed glasses stared back at me blankly.

"Sorry, what?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. I coughed and masked my nervousness with words spoken confidently.

"I'm a new student here and I want my schedule," I said bluntly.

"Name?" she asked with the same tone.

"Elizabeth Ryder," I replied. Her hands searched for the correct paper, eyebrows furrowed in concentration and eyes narrowed as she tried to read the names on top of each sheet. Her eyebrows relaxed when she found the correct one.

"This is your schedule, and this is your locker number with the code," She handed me the paper. I nodded and went out the door. I stopped on my tracks to figure out what number my locker is, and after reading 4035, I started my quest of finding the locker that is now mine.

It took me a few minutes, but the second I was stood in front of my locker, I hit in the code, which unlocked it, and shoved in the books that were in my bag. Then, I took another glance at my schedule and saw that I had five minutes to be in homeroom, which is Mr. Creg Gerard's classroom.

For the millionth time today, my eyes wandered around in search for the classroom, however, I was able to find it within exactly four minutes, just in time for homeroom.

The minute I entered, I was met with a huge smile of an old man which I guessed was Mr. Creg's.

"Hello, I'm Mr. Creg, and I'm going to be your homeroom teacher," my teacher stretched a welcoming hand for me to shake, and I did. "Now, class, we've got a new student this year," he gave me a warm smile which I nervously returned.

"Hi, I'm Elizabeth," I greeted with no hint of enthusiasm in my voice.

"Okay, Elizabeth. Would you like to tell us something abo-"

"No," I interrupted him quickly and rudely, which I immediately regretted. The man welcomed me very sweetly and that is how I repay him?

It is for the best. Remember that.

Mr. Creg nodded at me, pointed at a seat in the middle of the class, and said, "You can sit there."

I gave him a nod before making my way towards the table. I can literally feel people staring at me from every direction. I started feeling insecure and afraid, but I shook the feeling away.

Homeroom passed as fast as lightning, and so did the first three periods. Soon enough, it was time for lunch. So, as I usually did before and after Philadelphia, I payed for my chosen lunch and sat on a table alone. Many people glanced my way and some even smiled, and to be honest, it felt different than being shoved around, kicked, and made fun of. Instead of smiling back or waving, I glared at them with an ever so rude attitude.

It is for the best. Remember that.

When the lunch bell rang, I rushed out of the cafeteria and headed towards my locker to take out the books I needed for my next subject, Pre-Calculus. And when that was successfully done, I quickly walked towards the classroom, not wanting to get a tardy on my very first day.

Many things in my life changed, however one specific thing stayed the same ever since the day I was born.

My clumsiness.

But of course, no one had to know of that. That's why when I bumped into a dark-haired, green-eyed beauty, I had to pretend it was all his fault. So, after gawking at him for God knows how long, I decided to speak up.

More like I was snapped out of my daze by the beauty himself.

"Done checking me out?" he cockily spoke up. For the first time, I did not blush at a comment like that.

Not like I got these types of comments, ever.

I gave him an icy glare and spoke the next words, "You wish. Now move, jerk."

His eyebrows raised and a smirk appeared on his annoyingly gorgeous face.

Snap out of it, Elizabeth!

"Feisty, aren't we?" I rolled my eyes.

"Egotistical, aren't we?" I gave him the most sour smile ever and shoved him out of my way before running to my next class.

I hope I do not get detention on my first day.

And I did not, instead, I introduced my self for the hundredth time today and said no more. That is how I spent the rest of my school day. I glared at people trying to be nice, I shoved people who accidentally bumped into me, and replied with a blunt 'yes' or 'no' to questions that teachers threw my way. I did not like the way I was acting. I did not like the fake facade I was putting up. I did not like this side of me. But I had to say the same words to shut the thoughts that flooded my head up.

It is for the best. Remember that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 3.5K 102
Evanna Austen a freshman in college, starts out her journey with her friends. After successfully passed out her freshman year she was ready to began...
1.5M 39.8K 47
Ella used to always be in the shadows shy, and lets people walk over her ,and treat her badly, but an incident happened which changed her , leavin...
91K 2K 20
Bullies. They were the most used word she would always use, if she were to talk about her life. And if she had someone she could talk to. Cold, self...
2M 53.6K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...