SEVENTEEN years to Live

Autorstwa KendrickSupnet

After the war, the survivors created a government they believed would prevent the rapid growth of the world's... Więcej

PROLOGUE ●○►DEPTON REPUBLIC
1 ●○► AT THE LAKE
2 ●○► DISAPPOINTED
3 ●○► CANDIES AND LOLLIPOPS
4 ●○► THE LAKE AGAIN
5 ●○► KEVIN'S GIRLFRIEND
6 ●○► DECISION
7 ●○► THE SON OF THE MAYOR
8 ●○► REALIZING
10 ●○► SOCCER
11 ●○► RETURN
12 ●○► ANOTHER TEAM
13 ●○► THE WEIGE MANSION
14 ●○► THE CONFERENCE ROOM
15 ●○► BETH
16 ●○► A JOURNEY
17 ●○► DEPTON CITY
18 ●○► THE DEPTON CITY EXECUTION BUILDING
19 ●○► THE CHALLENGE
20 ●○► A PROBLEM
21 ●○► HOME
22 ●○► SEPHRED
23 ●○► EXCITEMENT
24 ●○► WILD AT NIGHT
25 ●○► THE ATHLETIC SIDE OF SEPHRED
26 ●○► DROPS OF WATER
27 ●○► ANNOUNCEMENT

9 ●○► JANINE'S SITUATION

294 4 5
Autorstwa KendrickSupnet

CHAPTER NINE

●○► JANINE’S SITUATION

Bryan smiles at me abruptly. I see his jaw tremble and he tries to say a word. I stop a yard away from him. He scratches an itch on his head and begins to look nervous.

“Y-yes,” he stammers, his hands shaking as he beckons me to go beside him. “Where do you want to go?”

“Away from this town,” I suggest, and he looks at me in wonder.

“Away from Town Redlight?”

Redlight? The word echoes inside my head. Does he mean the name of our town?

Mostly, there are only a few people who knows the name of our town. It changes whenever they want to change. The last time I knew this town’s name was when I was thirteen years old. Its former name was Town Kingz. I don’t know how many names it had been since now. But I heard people talk that they named our town Roop, which means we are poor. That fact is true until now.

“They change it again?” I ask Bryan, knitting my eyebrows at him. “Town Redlight?”

“You are not updated, are you?” He tilted his head on one side. I give him a shake of my head. “You should know, Mary. Every time.”

We begin to walk again. I look behind me and the house zooms away from view.

I glance at Bryan again, spotting his eyes staring at me, a huge smile spreading across his face.

“When did they change the name?” I ask him.

“It’s about a month, I think.”

“A month?” I insist. “I didn’t know they changed the name of this town.”

“Me, too,” he said.

We continue to walk. But there is silence between us as we get far the house. The sun is already setting over the trees. The road we are taking seems to go forever. It wounds toward north, south and west. East is behind us. And the house is too far.

“Are you sure you want to go away from this town?” Bryan asks. I nod in reply.

“Have we gotten far?” I say, the moment after he asked his question.

He nods silently. “Very far.”

My feet halt. Bryan advances a few steps and turns to look at me. “What’s wrong?” he demands, walks toward me, and puts a hand on my shoulder. “Are you tired? Our house is near here. You can stay inside.”

I shake my head to refuse his invitation. But I don’t mean to embarrass Bryan. “No, thanks,” I say.

“Okay,” he agrees. “You need some water?”

His voice is very gentle. I can feel that he was really love at first sight at me a while. His eyes look at me sympathetically. As if he is nervous about what would happen to me.

“I’m fine,” I tell him.

“If you need something, just ask me.”

I stretch my lips to smile at him. He smiles at me back.

We start to walk again. Maybe we have taken a few hundred meters before I see the end of our town. It is represented by an arch that has glowing letters. It says TOWN REDLIGHT. COME AGAIN.

“Bryan,” I say, catching his attention.

“What?” he answers, his voice must be tired from walking a mile.

“What do you mean about the thing you said a while before I went into the house?” I ask him.

He never answers for a few seconds at first. He sighs heavily and says, “Um. I was just thinking if you want me to be your boyfriend. And I admit that I wasn’t joking when I said that.”

“Are you serious?”

“No,” he says. “I am Bryan.”

I laugh without humor at his joke.

I take a deep breath and sigh through my nose. “Bryan,” I begin. “What if I say I want you to be my boyfriend, what will you say?”

“I’ll be yours,” he says simply, smiling. “I will be the luckiest person if that happens.”

“What if it happens now, what will you do?” I keep my face plain. He tries to read my expression but he can’t. I can see him shaking now.

“Oh, God,” he murmurs. “Are you saying we’re together now?”

“I’m not saying it, Bryan,” I tell him, shaking my head. His face turns sullen and the hope drains away from him. He starts to breathe heavily. And I want to stop what he feels. “I want to declare it.”

It’s already evening when we get home. Bryan is walking beside me, our hands holding each other until we reach the door of our house. I look at him. And we both chuckle.

“What?” I ask, and I guess he knows what I am asking.

“I’m just happy to be with you,” he says. “Well, I can’t say I love you yet. I would like to say while we’re doing something that is magic, if that’s what you call it.”

“Don’t drive me when that happens,” I tell him, swallowing the laughter that builds up in my throat. “I’m going to control you during that. You have nothing to do but to obey what I told you to do.”

“Very well,” he says.

We knock at the door of the house. It takes only five seconds before someone answers.

Beth.

“Oh,” she breathes, surprised. Her eyes are looking down at our hands. She smiles at me wickedly. “Janine! Come over here.”

I hear footsteps coming toward the door. It is Janine. Once she shows up, her eyes never meet mine, but they look down at our hands as Beth did.

“I am so proud of you, Mary,” she exclaims, jumping around, squealing under her breath. She turns to look at Bryan, who looks down at his feet. “Would you like to come in for dinner, Bryan?”

Bryan looks up at the mention of his name. “Ahhh,” he says, thinking. “Sure,” he then decides.

We step into the house and walk toward the floor/bed. Bryan sits beside a pillow while I continue to walk toward the kitchen sink. I wash my hands. And as I turn around, Beth goes beside him.

“Tell me,” she begins. “Did you two kiss?”

Bryan stays silent. I guess he never wants to speak. He just shakes his head, muttering “no.”

“Where have you been?” is the next question Beth throws at him. “Bed?”

He shakes his head again then laughs as the Beth mentions the word bed.

I look around the house and recognize the unusual atmosphere. It isn’t noisy as what I have been expecting. Where are Kate and Heather? Where did they go? Is hunting too difficult to do that’s why they’re late?

“Where are the other girls?” I ask Beth and Janine. My eyes glance at Bryan and he looks at me in wonder.

“How many are you in here?” he asks.

“We’re five,” says Janine. “The two girls who’re gone are Kate and Heather. They went hunting.”

He takes a breath and squares his shoulders. “Hunting?” he asks, as if he doesn’t know what that means. “Where?”

“They went to the lake first before the three of us arrived. They were gone when we joined you.”

“Oh.”

“Maybe they’ve taken the other group on the other side of the lake. Isn’t that there is a group of nerds there?”

“Yeah,” I say. “I just don’t know if they’ve taken two of them. Heather is so excited to have children, you know.” They all nod to my explanation. Nobody speaks until I do. “Where’s dinner?”

“Right there.” Beth points a finger at the table just a yard away from where I stand. A plate of two fried fishes is on top, just exact for me and my boyfriend. I walk toward the table and take the plate into my hand.

“Dinner, Bryan?” I offer, lifting the plate an inch to emphasize.

My boyfriend nods his head. And I sit beside him on the left side, because Beth still sits on his right.

I hand him the plate of fried fishes. Then we eat together.

I wake up the next day with a male by my side.

And then I remembered that Bryan, my new boyfriend, stayed in the night in our house. His eyes are still closed, sleeping. His body lies on the floor with arms and feet spread. I look at his face then notice that he sleeps with no pillows. I take mine and put it below his head.

“There,” I mutter.

I turn to look behind me where the other girls are. Beth is still sleeping with her back turned to me. But Janine has woken up and gotten toward the kitchen sink. She washes her face and wipes it with a towel.

“Hey,” I say as our eyes meet. “You wake up so early.”

“Did I?” she says in a hushed tone.

I manage to smile.

I glance around the house, looking for Heather and Kate. They aren’t in the house yet. I begin to worry where they have gone. But if they have slept with some guys after a big miracle, I think that’s good.

“Where are the two?” I ask Janine.

“Pregnant,” she replies.

I chuckle, and then I hear Bryan grunt beside me. I glance at him quickly, afraid I have woken him, but he just shifts his position.

“What happen last night?” I ask Janine again.

I know I was asleep before the others did. We were waiting for the two to go home but they didn’t. I was so tired last night. My feet hurt every time I move them. Maybe it was because I walked more than a mile. It was my fault.

Bryan looks tired, too. His face gives no sign that he will wake up for the next few minutes. But if I shout here right now, he might freak out. And Beth will think there’s danger.

Janine never answers my question. I glare at Bryan’s face and feel the concern rising up to my chest. Maybe this is what it feels when you have a boyfriend. You’re worrying. And it seems that you want him there forever, you want him to stay by your side and don’t leave you.

I put my hand on his forehead, sliding my fingers to his hair, stroking it. Bryan doesn’t move. He stays asleep until I am done stroking his hair. I get to my feet and walk toward the kitchen sink. I wash my face and borrow Janine’s towel.

“He’s so handsome,” Janine tells me. “You’re lucky to have Bryan, Mary. I wish I have met him before you did.”

“Thanks, Janine,” I grumble. “You’re lucky with Oren, too. You can invite him in so that we can live together. Beth’s Ryan as well. They can stay here with us.”

“Great,” she says. “But I don’t think Oren will like it.”

“Why?”

Janine swallows loudly, and her voice turns melodramatic. “Because he has another girl to take care, too.”

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

460 91 25
Felicia Simmons is a woman that just wants her freedom. After her divorce with a real estate mogul, she sets out to raise her teenage son and find th...
1K 120 38
The government has a secret, they are the cause of the apocalypse of the dead. They wanted a weapon, something that no one would be able to beat. The...
1.2M 27K 60
Book 1 in the Solace universe HAPPY ENDING I SWEAR!! Idk why it won't say completed, but it is, I promise 🫡 ( 1 day + 11 hours are for the book, any...
826 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...