The Damsel

Od estellebelle

Sophie wants nothing more than to just be herself and fall in love, but that is hard to do when you are a pri... Viac

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 10

693 14 7
Od estellebelle

Colin soon found himself walking towards the extensive garden with Sophie by his side. The lump in his throat grew bigger with every step away from the patio. His eyes stayed glued to the ground.  The sweat dripped down the back of is neck and the inside of his palms. He would have given anything for a way out of the situation.

Sophie was stealing glances at Colin as they walked along. She was mesmerized by his deep brown hair and muscular arms. Sophie silently hoped that she looked okay.

The pair was soon deep in the gardens and Sophie stopped walking. Colin didn’t notice for several seconds but as soon as he did, he turned around.

“Princess, is everything all right?”

Sophie smiled; she could finally see Colin’s penetrating blue eyes. In nervousness, Sophie stumbled over her words, “N-no, I am fine.” She paused and walked a few steps towards Colin; in return he moved backwards. However, he soon hit a bush and Sophie continued towards him until she was only two feet from his face.

“Why did you leave so abruptly yesterday?”

Colin swallowed, “I uh… I uh…”

Sophie waited for a few moments then repeated the question.

“Princess, I had to get home. We were having problems with the cows that morning and I thought it best to get home as soon as I was able.” Colin lied.

Sophie took a step closer, “I don’t believe you.” She countered.

Colin licked his lips and scratched his head, “That’s why I left. There is no other reason.”

Sophie stepped back and whispered, “It wasn’t because you were nervous around me?”

Colin shook his head, “No Princess. Why would be nervous around you?”

Sophie face fell. She was so crestfallen that Colin wasn’t nervous around her for her father had said that if he thought that she was pretty he would be nervous around her. She turned away from Colin.

Colin could sense Sophie’s sadness and asked, “Princess I am sorry if I have offended you in any way-”

Sophie cut him off, “No, it’s just that Papa told me that if you thought I was attractive you would be nervous around me but you’re not so…”

Colin took a step a forward, “I…I…I do think that you are very beautiful Princess.”

Sophie’s face erupted into a smile and she gasped, “Really!” She giggled.

Colin scratched his ear then gave Sophie a look that she was sure meant that he did.

Colin was relieved that the awkwardness was over with. Looking at Sophie giggle like that made him realize that she was the prettiest girl he’d ever seen. Her green eyes shone like the sun. 

“Would you like to continue walking?” Sophie asked.

Colin nodded and gestured for Sophie to go first.

“Have you lived in Coe Hill all your life?” Sophie inquired as they walked alone the garden paths.

“Yep, ever since I was a wee baby. What about you Princess, have you always lived in Appleby?”

“You can call me Sophie and yes, I have lived there for my entire life. It’s lovely there have you ever been?”

Colin sighed, “Aye no, I have never really left Coe Hill. Is it nice in Appleby?”

“I think it’s beautiful. On our property there are miles upon miles of green fields and at the end of them forest. I lose myself in them when I go riding. At night the stars shine down like rain; I stay out for hours looking at them with Papa.” Sophie paused then continued, “I miss it very much right now; we have been travelling for the last fortnight.”

Colin looked at Sophie then and saw that she was longing for her home. He wished he could understand her feelings but alas, he could not.

“If you would like Princess… er… Sophie… you could trade places with me. I would love to travel around the country.” Colin said.

“I would love if you could!”

“I think the two of us look awfully similar. I am sure that if you stayed here and I went off with your father, he wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference.” Colin joked.

Sophie snorted she laughed so hard.

“I agree that we do look similar but I think that you may need some of my clothes.” Sophie continued.

Colin gasped, “You’re right! Hand me your bonnet!”

Sophie untied her bonnet and handed it to Colin, who put it over his shaggy brown locks.

Sophie cackled and bowed saying with a deepened, “How do you do Princess?”

“Quite well indeed!” Colin responded in a high pitched voice.

Sophie slapped Colin’s shoulder with her good arm, “I do not sound like that!”

“It’s not like you imitated me that accurately either!” Colin countered.

Sophie settled, “Fair enough. Do you mind if ee rest for a while?”

“No, not at all.” Colin told her.

They made their way to a bench nearby and sat.

“How old is Jessica?” Sophie asked.

“12 I think.” Colin told her.

“You think she’s 12! You don’t know your own sister’s age?” Sophie was startled.

Colin smirked, “I’ve a hard time remembering things like that.”

“And how old are you?”

“I’m 18.”

“I’ll be 18 come the September. I can’t wait!”

Colin smiled at Sophie as she daydreamed of days far off. Suddenly she snapped back to reality.

“I want to dance.” Sophie ordered.

Colin looked about then said, “I suppose it’ll have to be with me eh?”

Sophie nodded and Colin stood up. He bowed and extended his hand. Sophie took it.

Colin being very careful of Sophie’s arm managed to twirl her about in the most delightful way. Sophie felt all of her worries about Grandmother Elizabeth and her father float away with ever spin. Sophie had never felt this free before in her life. She never wanted to stop dancing with Colin. He didn’t step on her toes once; a much better dancer than any of the noble’s sons, that was for sure!

Jessica had been right, Sophie thought, Colin is the best dancer I’ve ever danced with.

Soon the pair was out of breath. Colin brought Sophie back to the bench, his arm still around her.

“That was magnificent!” Sophie exclaimed, her breath wheezing. “Jessica hadn’t been exaggerating!”

Colin smiled. Panting he told Sophie that she wasn’t such a terrible dancer herself.

Sophie slowly leaned into Colin’s arm; he was so muscular. Sophie felt herself slowly trusting him.

The two stayed like this for what seemed like hours. To them the world stood still. There was nothing but them and the garden around them. All that could be hard was the chirp of birds and the deep breaths the pair took in.

Sophie closed her eyes and let this peacefulness wash over her; she hadn’t felt this peaceful since she left Appleby weeks ago.

Sophie opened her eyes and saw the sun nearing the centre of the sky. She grudgingly left Colin’s arm.

“We should start heading back.” Sophie told Colin. He nodded and stood up.

The two walked back in silence, not because they were awkward around each other, but because they were comfortable enough to do so without being awkward. They would sneak glances at each other as they walked, admiring the other but not a word was spoken the entire walk back. Things were just simpler this way.

Colin feeling confident, about halfway back linked his arm with Sophie’s. She did not object and so they stayed.

Mark met the two at the edge of the garden.

“Long walk that was.” He remarked.

Noah came up behind Mark, “We best be getting home Colin, your mother will have already waited on us for lunch.”

Colin nodded and let go of Sophie, turned and  bowed, “Your Highness.”

Sophie smiled and curtsied, “Thank you for accompanying me today.”

“The pleasure was all mine.”

The two barely managed to conceal their secret from their fathers as their smiles dance on their lips.

“Perhaps, I will come to call you soon” Sophie told Colin.

“I am sure that Jessica would be happy to see you.” Colin responded.

“You are welcome any time Princess.” Noah added.

Sophie watched Colin and Noah leave and as she did, she suddenly grew sleepy.

“Papa, I think I will go rest for a while.” Sophie mumbled.

Mark took Sophie’s arm, “Yes, Monkey, I do believe you will need some rest after that walk.”

“Mhmm” Sophie muttered almost unintelligibly.

Sophie soon found herself surrounded by silky sheets and downy pillows. As her eyelids drooped she drifted into her memories of her stroll. 

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.1K 201 17
Cover made by @jillybean2416. A young Duke ready to settle down. A young lady ready for love. A cruel and heartless monarch determined to keep them a...
9.1K 472 23
"She wants nothing to do with him... He would be miserable without her." ****** Meet Sophie Franklin, a fiercely indepen...
1.4K 75 16
Cover made by @matildagrei. Olivia Rochester is running out of options. Her parents have died, she has been dismissed from her current position, and...
347 0 20
16 year old Cassandra has always dreamt of becoming a real life princess and live in a beautiful castle with her Prince Charming all her life. When s...