Chapter 4

Sophie was now in the ballroom, quietly sitting by herself, waiting for her father to come and tell her when they were leaving. She saw the Lord Glenview heading in her direction and began to dread that he would ask her to dance with his dreadful son again. But when the Lord arrived he only held out his hand and told her to accompany him. Sophie, after the argument with her father, did not feel like arguing, so she took the Lord Glenview’s hand and went with him to the entrance hall. Once there, she found her father, who looked quite red in the face. Sophie had not yet reached her father when he began to turn and walk towards the doors of the foyer.  Sophie called after him, “Wait, Papa!” Mark did not turn around.

Once they were inside their carriage, Sophie again inquired if there was something wrong, but her father only stared at the window. Sophie received the same response once they arrived at their lodgings for the evening. Before Sophie could ask again she was ushered off to bed.

The next morning at breakfast, Sophie’s father was himself again and Sophie decided neither to mention his mood last night nor the argument with Grandmother Elizabeth for fear that it would bring back his sour mood. Sophie could think of nothing else to talk of though, she had so many questions regarding last night. Why was Grandmother Elizabeth at the ball? Where was her grandfather? Would they still be staying at their home tonight? So many questions.

After several minutes of sitting in silence, Sophie decided to risk bringing up last night, “Papa, will we still be staying at Grandmother Elizabeth’s tonight or will we be staying somewhere else?”

Sophie’s father answered her question but it seemed like he was talking more to his plate than to her, “Yes, Sophie, we will be staying there tonight?”

“And will there be a ball?”

“No, Sophie there won’t be.”

“Well, that is good because I don’t really feel like going to another ball.” Sophie commented, hoping to raise her father’s mood.

The two stayed silent for a while after that but Sophie soon ventured into dangerous territory, “Papa, why were you so upset last night?”

Mark did not answer right away, he only fumbled about with napkin but Sophie urged him on, “Papa?”

“Sophie, I heard you, if you will please give me a moment I will answer you.”

After a few seconds Mark responded to Sophie’s question, “After your left Sophie, your grandmother and I began to argue. We argued and argued until your grandmother said something that made me cry. That is all that happened.”

Sophie was shocked; she had thought that no one was capable of making her father cry.

“What did grandmother say that upset you so?”

Mark looked a Sophie for several seconds and then answered, “Your grandmother began talking about your mother and talking about your mother makes me miserable.”

Sophie believed her father, but she thought that there was more to the story than that. She had often heard her mother brought up by various nobles when her father was present, which did make him uncomfortable, but never so upset that he did not speak with Sophie afterwards. 

“What did Grandmother Elizabeth say about Mama specifically that made you so upset?” Sophie inquired.

“She was telling lies about your mother and I.”

“Will she share them with others Papa? If she does, I am certain that someone will believe them, you know what stupid things people believe!”

Mark sat up abruptly, his tone worried, “I never considered that Sophie. I hope not as those lies paint me in a very negative light and would probably convince the entire kingdom that your grandmother should have received custody of you all those years ago.”