The Sun in the Shadow

By Dragon_Rider147

This story is completed! Done and finished. Yup. Three days in the infirmary doesn't seem that bad if you sle... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26 AUTHORS COMMENTS
Authors Note again LAST ONE
Chapter 28 Guys?
Soooooo....
Chapter 30

Chapter 21

25K 1K 2.8K
By Dragon_Rider147

Okay quick note! Sorry that I keep doing these but it's the only way I can tell you guys something and be sure you'll read it! Okay, so I finished the whole Percy Jackson series and I know the characters pretty well now. So I want to ask you guys (and please respond if you can) should I start a new and full character fanfic? Alright that's all, Cheers!

Will walked up with Nico all the way to the edge of the dance, where they stood, holding hands, and waiting for an appropriate time to jump in. Neither of them said a word, the moment was to fragile for words. So instead they stepped forward and started the slow steps around the floor.

Will, being taller, lead the dance. Nico didn't look too happy to be playing the girls part, but he got over it pretty quickly. They were both good dancers and kept up perfectly with the adults. Some people looked at them weirdly, or scowled, but Will was just watching Nico. He kept staring at his hand on Nico's waist and Nico's hand on his shoulder. It made his belly flip and flop in a totally uncoordinated way.

Nico looked much more comfortable. He was watching Will's face, looking for any signs of unease or distress. Seeing if he was going to react to all the negative attention they were attracting. But he stopped the search when Will met his eyes and smiled so warmly Nico felt like he had just been microwaved to the core.

It was the closest contact Nico had had since Jason's hug. And this was a lot longer than a hug. He wouldn't admit it but the butterflies still tortured his stomach. He didn't allow it to show on his face but every time he felt a shift in Will's hand and realized that his hand actually was on his waist the butterflies started doing the Macarena in his stomach.

They danced for the whole song, hand in hand, and when everyone clapped and the dancers walked off, they did too. Will didn't let go of Nico's hand and Nico didn't protest. He had decided to give himself this night with Will.

Will led Nico outside, where no one was talking or watching them. They walked down a small path through the trees and then sat down at a bench. Their hands stayed together, but both boys were running out of silence. Something had to be said.

"Will," Nico started, hating himself for breaking the silence but not knowing what else to do. They had a problem to resolve.

Will sighed and closed his eyes when he heard his name. When he opened them again he was staring right at Nico, looking at him and not through him like other people.

"Nico di Angelo."

That's all he said, just Nico's name. But it sent a shiver down Nico's spine.

"I need to know what you meant, Will," Nico said, gaining his strength with each word. "I want to know what you meant when you were talking to me." Will kept his gaze on Nico as he said, "That morning, I want to know what happened."

Will kept his eyes on Nico and his gaze was so intense Nico began to fidget under it. Finally Will spoke, but his gaze didn't waver.

"I meant what I said, Nico. Everything I've ever said to you has been the truth. I want to be your friend." Nico returned the gaze as he talked, careful not to look away or show weakness. "I want to be with you. I want to know everything you've every told anyone. I want to keep you safe."

Will leaned forward and his other hand landed behind Nico, so he was trapped underneath Will's arms and body on the bench.

"I want to be there when you need me and when you don't. I want to see you heal and see you love. I meant it when I said I would do anything to protect you. I would. Nothing you've ever said stopped me. Only the possibility of losing you if I helped made me hesitate. I want you, Nico." Will was a very close when he asked, "But what do you want, Nico?"

Nico was looking into Will's eyes. He was watching Will breath and seeing his chest rise and fall. Will was alive, he had just admitted what he wanted. Admitted what he had meant what he said. Nico had known already but hadn't trust his own assumptions. Now he could.

"I want you to be accepted," Nico replied and he sat a little straighter. "I want your cabin to see you as a leader, for your friends to smile as you pass by. I want you to be happy wherever you go, never worrying what people will say about you. I want Will Solace to become the most respected healer and best friend. For you to continue at camp the way you should be. I want you to have the life you deserve, which means without me."

Will retracted a bit in shock and Nico took the opening. He pushed Will back into his own seat and instead took his own position above Will, trying to look as menacing as he could. Shadows behind him swirled and clouded around his back in effect.

"I want you to have the friends I never was given. For people to like having you around. I am a son of Hades. I liked a guy. People are more disgusted by me than anyone. I never fitted in and now I never will. So Will," he leaned forward even closer, "when you asked what I wanted. I tell you. I want you to forget about me and instead worry about yourself. I want you to live the life I was never given as an option."

This is when something happened. Will was sitting there looking exactly the way Nico wanted. Scared. The shadows clouded and swirled behind him and Will didn't look enthusiastic to see them. But right then, when Nico finished talking, Will's eyes went back to Nico's face. And his expression became determined.

It happened too fast for Nico to register. Will's hands reached up and grabbed Nico's face. He was pulled against Will and their faces met much softer than Nico expected.

His heartbeat was too loud. His blood became flurried. Will was holding his face and he was too strong.

And gods, his lips were on Nico's.

Oh gods oh gods they were kissing. Nico couldn't pull away, he couldn't think. The shadows grew restless behind him but another something was battling them off. Light from Will's hands, it was swirling around Nico and pulling him closer, away from the shadows. The kiss was only seconds long but it felt like hours as Nico's brain raced.

When Will finally pulled away he said, "I'm sorry, Nico. I can't forget you. And as for what you want, I already am happy, I have you. I don't care what everyone else thinks. I love who I am and they can't change that." He let go of Nico, who came to his senses and stumbled back. The shadows grabbed a hold of him and suddenly he was really angry. Like really angry.

He stood, rooted, and the grass withered around him. The shadows grew and lashed out at Will's light. He didn't realize what he was saying until the words had spilled out.

"You should care, Solace!" His voice shook the tiniest bit. "You should care because now is the only chance you have to keep it. Your life will turn to hell if you don't give up on me right now. Right here."

Will watched him, and he looked angry too. He stood and the light around him continued to grow, matching Nico's shadow.

"I'm not giving up on you, Nico. I love you."

"STOP IT!" Nico screamed and his shadows doubled in size, lashing out even more at the light, but it was an equal fight. "YOU WILL BE RIDICULED, SHUNNED! YOU CAN'T WANT THAT!" Nico screamed at Will while his shadows battled around him.

Will stepped forward and yelled, "That's exactly what I want if it means I get you! I don't need to be accepted if I don't have you, Nico! I love you! I only want you! No one else! Nothing else!"

The light and the shadows were ten feet tall and the battle was intense. Sometimes the shadow was vaporized, sometimes the light was snuffed out.

Nico could feel himself shaking. "STOP SAYING THAT! YOU DON'T MEAN IT! YOU WANT THE CAMP! YOU WANT YOUR FRIENDS! YOU DONT WANT ME! NO ONE EVER WANTS ME!" But his shadows were losing, the light was creeping towards him.

"NICO! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE NICO DI ANGELO! Believe me, please! Don't turn me away!" Will was stepping slowly towards Nico who was still standing his ground, even as the shadows disappeared around him. "Nico, I don't want the camp if they reject you. I don't want those friends if they turn me away for loving you. I don't want that life if you're not in it."

Nico was shaking pretty badly and Will was too, the effort of fighting the shadows draining him. Nico was staring at him and Will returned the gaze, not backing away no matter what the son of Hades threw at him.

"Everyone will hate you." Nico replied like he knew from experience. Will was stunned to finally realize that he had. Nico had been shunned from each camp because of his godly parent. And now because of his sexuality. "They will treat you like a pest, like a monster who won't leave but no one is willing to kill."

Will continued stepping forward, getting closer and closer.

"They'll make you an outcast, Will. Trust me, you don't want to be burdened by me."

Finally Will was close to Nico again. The shadows were still fighting, but they were disappearing.

Will stared at Nico and said, "Good thing you're not a burden then, Nico." Then in a lower tone, "You deserve better. You deserve to be accepted and loved by everyone in camp. More than me. I will gladly let them shun me if we are shunned together. Let them do anything to me if it means I can stay with you."

The shadows disappeared and Nico slouched but stood his ground.

"You don't love me, Will."

"Yeah I do."

"You can't love me."

"Kind of already know that I can."

"You deserve someone else."

"I know, I deserve someone half as good as you."

"That's not what I meant."

"It's what I meant. And it's true."

"Will, just stop. Stop trying to change me, make me a happy camper. I know I'm meant to be shunned, I get that."

"I don't want you to be a happy camper. I want you to be Nico di Angelo. I want to love you as you are. And you are not meant to be shunned." Will took a step forward and grabbed  Nico's hand, interlacing their fingers with their palms pushing against each other. "You are meant to be loved."

Nico looked at Will and finally, finally, gave up. He looked down at his feet instead of Will's face, kicking the dead grass around him.

"You're probably going to regret-" but Nico's words were cut off for right then Will lifted his chin and kissed him again. Nico was still surprised, but he didn't have time once more to pull away because Will did.

"I found you, Nico," he said and his grin was so big it was hard to believe they were fighting moments before. "I've found you under all the shadow you've hidden in."

And then Will was hugging Nico so gently and lovingly Nico felt like he was being melted.

"I've finally found you and you are perfect."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 2.8K 19
After three days in the infirmary, Will and Nico uncover feelings for each other. Told by Will and Nico themselves. tw// self harm, depression, idk t...
61.9K 702 23
[Started March 2019, probably not gonna be updated] Just me attempting to write Solangelo oneshots bc I love them! Mostly fluff (edit: lots of angst)...
12.2K 191 12
"You owe me at least three days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now." Nico felt like a hundred skeleton butterflies came to life in his stomach. "...
39.6K 1K 15
❝ then he walked back across the green, where will solace was waiting. ❞ Three days at the infirmary. Three days with Will Solace. Three days togeth...