The Six

By RachaelMole

6 People. 6 Powers. 1 Secret. Light vs Dark. The Battle Is Coming. Completed! I will be adding new chapters a... More

A Brief Word
Prologue
Chapter One- Friends
Chapter Three- Prayers
Chapter Four- Revelations
Chapter Five- Destiny
Chapter Six- Orders
Chapter Seven- Escape
Chapter Eight- Experiments
Chapter Nine- Lessons
Chapter Ten- Docked
Chapter Eleven- Rolezal
Chapter Twelve- History
Chapter Thirteen- Brothers
Chapter Fourteen- Bound
Chapter Fifteen- Burn
Chapter Sixteen- Eden
Chapter Seventeen- Whispers
Chapter Eighteen- Seer
Chapter Nineteen- Secrets
Chapter Twenty- Mountains
Chapter Twenty One- Energy
Chapter Twenty Two- Betrayed
Chapter Twenty Three- Innocence
Chapter Twenty Four- Worries
Chapter Twenty Five- Caged
Chapter Twenty Six- Charged
Chapter Twenty Seven- Mortals
Chapter Twenty Eight- Kas
Chapter Twenty Nine- Defenses
Chapter Thirty- Plan
Chapter Thirty One- Daddy
Chapter Thirty Two- Protocol
Chapter Thirty Three- Collide
Chapter Thirty Four- Promotion
Chapter Thirty Five- Fiercesome
Chapter Thirty Six- Charge
Chapter Thirty Seven- Confessions
Chapter Thirty Eight- Darkness
Chapter Thirty Nine- Hero
Chapter Forty- Falling
Chapter Forty One- Fulfilled
Chapter Forty Two- Awakening
Chapter Forty Three- Grief
Chapter Forty Four- Farewells
READ ME !
READ ME! 2.0
Characters!

Chapter Two- Spring

2.1K 108 18
By RachaelMole

The first day of the second spring had arrived in God's land. Eboni sighed longingly as she looked out to the temple gardens from inside the library. Although the air was crisp, the days were getting warmer, something which her best friend and temple brother Bren was very happy about.

This year Bren had been assigned garden duty, which to her amusement meant that the fruit from the sacred tree in the middle of the temple grounds had started to make its way into the desserts. Eboni had been assigned to the library. Though she enjoyed reading immensely and would often be found in the library anyway, she often found herself staring longingly out of the windows watching the day go by.

Last year she had the job of setting out the cutlery for dinner, a small job, but one that reflected her status in the temple. Now she had turned 18, her status had allowed her a 'real job.'

She watched as High Priest Jon ran out into the middle of the garden, his rounded figure unaccustomed to running as he wiped the sweat from the midday suns from his brow. He looked around, spotting her at the window, giving her a jolly wave before spotting whatever- or whoever- he was looking for and running off again.

Eboni wouldn't like to guess at how old he was. When she was younger she had thought the High Priest and Priestess immortal- never seeming to age or grow ill. Now she knew that those where just her childhood fantasies. No one could live forever. She had been left on the steps of the temple during her first winter and would one day be left by the elders of the temple who had raised her.

Bren was the only other person around her age who was in the same position as her. For the past seven years, no one had joined the temple on their 18th birthday, as was the custom for those who worshiped their creator and wanted to devote their life to prayer on the land of creation. The High Priest and Priestess weren't worried about that though. There were over 300 Brothers and Sisters to pray and look after the temple, it was in safe hands.

Turning back to the library and the jobs at hand, Eboni felt herself smiling at the familiarity surrounding her. The library was one of the oldest buildings in the Temples estate. A large 30 seat dark wooden table sat in the middle of the large room with bookshelves lining the walls from the floor to the ceiling, each one crammed with texts and artefacts from across the world.

On the shelves nearest to the table were scrolls and texts from the age of creation, written when the mighty and wise Elementi first created Man and Woman on God's Land.

Near the doors were texts from Rolezal- Now ruled by King Gregor it was by far the most powerful and wealthy land in the world. Texts of Admari- the land of plenty, were on the back wall next to the scrolls of Cerina- the ancient land of mountains that had become its own country many years ago after a civil war.

Kime- a small island that had once belonged to Cerina, was a rich man's getaway. Free from politics and Kings it had made its reputation one of relaxation and harmony.

Em, Bluai, El, Enti, Graci and Miri were all small islands scattered across the ocean, governed by the High Priest and Priestess of God's land. God's land had also tried to claim the small islands off of Sher-woods, but lost them to the native people who protected their lands. They had been called the Lost Lands ever since.

The Barren Land, the North most country in the world- so named because no living creature can survive on it- had never been claimed by any country, the slab of rock wasn't a financial burden any land had wanted to take on, so it had been left to weather away. No scrolls or texts had ever been written about it, so its shelves were left empty.

The land that intrigued Eboni the most was the land of Tozaro, it interested her the most because it was the one land that no one knew much about.

In the writings of Elementi, it was described as the most beautiful land in the world and yet its people had turned to The Darkness. Whenever she or Bren had brought the land up in their lessons hoping to learn more about it, the conversation had been swiftly changed and the subject forgotten.

She and Bren had both made a pact that when they could leave God's land for their enrichment travels they would go to Tozaro. 

If that time ever came- she corrected herself, remembering the conversation she had had with the High Priest about starting her travels when she turned 18 and was anointed into the Sisterhood. High Priest Jon had explained to her that it was too dangerous-

"Better to stay in God's land under his protection" he had said.

Eboni sighed. Sometimes she wished that she could go off and see the world. Even just once.

"Lost in your thoughts?" The familiar, comforting voice of High Priestess Elena said from behind her.

"Just thinking about the world." She replied honestly, turning to face her.

She was stood in the doorway, her silver hair pulled tightly into a bun at the nape of her neck, the golden trim signifying her rank on her white robes glinting as the second sun met the first above them in the sky.

The High Priestess pursed her lips, looking out of the window she had just been gazing out of. There in the horizon was the ocean, stretching out into oblivion.

"Don't worry, I know I can't leave." Eboni said after a moment's silence, not wanting Elena to think that she was she was thinking about traveling. 

"Come and sit, my child." She walked into the library, taking a seat at the head of the table, gesturing for Eboni to sit by her side. 

"I don't want you to think I am not grateful for being allowed to stay here, High Priestess. I really am. I love it here. You are my family." Eboni said as she sat down.

"I know, Eboni. You are like a daughter to me. But you know why you must not leave- at least, not leave yet. It would be far too dangerous, especially if the knowledge of your, skills, reached the wrong ear."

Eboni smiled sadly. Her power, gifted to her by their creator, Elementi, himself. Her control over the element of ice that only appeared during the winters. Rare and valuable during the other seasons, Eboni had soon been taught to hide it from an early age when foreigners and traders came up the mountain to the temple.

She had resigned herself to spending the rest of her days in the temple. It was not a bad life. When she reached 30 and had successfully completed all of her studies she would be allowed to go down to the small city at the bottom of the mountain and help those who were less fortunate. There were worse things than having a life as a Sister of the Temple of Elementi.

"How is you reading going?" Elena asked, standing from her chair and walking over to the freshly sorted bookshelves.

"I have just finished reading a book about the healing methods hospitals in the city below are using. It was very interesting." She replied.

"That's good. I have some new books that I would like you to read. A topic you will not have seen before. I will leave them on your bed." Elena said, looking over the books and wiping the shelves checking for dust.

"Thank you. I am sure I will enjoy them very much!" Eboni replied.

Ever since she could read the High Priest and Priestess would give her books from their personal collection for her to read. As far as she was aware, none of the other Brothers and Sisters had had access to them, as they contained information about the elements and their link to Elementi as well as other topics she had not found anywhere in the library.

Though she felt privileged at being allowed access to them, she often felt as though they were waiting for something to happen. The information they contained had been sketchy at best. It seemed that no one had ever been gifted with an element before, though the books were full of information about elemental and self-control. All written by previous High Priests and Priestesses, there was some useful guesses and information which had helped her master the control of her gift. Though nothing about why she had been given it in the first place.

She had shared the books with Bren, whether he had actually read them all she didn't know. She had always told Bren everything. They did everything together. When her gifts first started to manifest she had learnt that the High Priest and Priestess had tried to hide her gift from him and the others in the temple, but her lack of control over it at a young age had meant that plan didn't last long.

During her lessons, Bren had been the one to help her when it came to meditation, and had also given her a moving target during practical practice.

The door to the library slammed open, only to be quickly shut. A white robed figure stood with their back to them, their hands resting on the door as they caught their breath. Though their hood was up, there was only one person Eboni knew it could be.

"Bren?" She said, confused as to why he was out of breath.

The answer quickly came as someone pounded on the library door.

"Open this door right now! I know it was you!" A voice that sounded like High Priest Jon's came from the other side.

Spinning around, her suspicions were proven to be correct as his hood slipped down to reveal his face. His black hair was matted against his face, skin lightly tanned from his work outside in the sun.

"Hide me!" He asked, his brown eyes fixing straight onto her pleadingly.

"Hide you for what reason Brother Bren?" High Priestess Elena said, from the side of the room, her eyebrows raising accusingly.

"High Priestess!" Bren exclaimed. "Nothing. I've don't nothing!"

The library door swung open again, this time revealing a very out of breath High Priest.

Bren quickly darted to Eboni's side, slowly edging his way behind her.

"I know it was you boy!" High Priest Jon said, pointing his finger accusingly.

"Who me?" Bren replied as Eboni tried to hide her smile. She knew how seriously the High Priest took the sacred tree, and no doubt Bren had been picking from it again.

"It grows back." Bren mumbled into her ear.

Eboni looked from him to High Priest Jon, no longer able to keep the smile from her lips.

"What seems to be the problem Jon?" High Priest Elena asked, going to stand by his side near the door.

"The fruit, it's all gone again! That's the second time this week!" He replied, exasperated.

"Well, I know that this is a very important issue, and rightly so. However we are two hours away from evening prayer, so perhaps it could wait until tomorrow?" High Priestess Elena said, steering him around and out of the door.  She turned back to face them. "I expect you both to be on time to prayer this evening. And I must say, I am particularly looking forward to desert tonight." Winking at them over her shoulder, she continued walking with High Priest Jon out of the library and towards the temple.

As soon as they were out of ear shot, Eboni turned around to look at her Brother and best friend. His hands hanging by his side were stained purple from the sacred fruit, the grin on his face cementing the fact that he had no regrets.

"It will have all grown back by the end of the week!" He said, plucking a rounded fruit from his pocket and handing it to her. "Want one?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 1.3K 47
[ BOOK 1 : COMPLETED ] 2019 is when the pandemic broke, little did they know that the Pandemic was just the beginning of an even bigger threat. Fast...
1.8K 274 27
How much shit can a person go through before they're truly dead on the inside?" Life is a challenging journey. It can be even more difficult when thr...
4.2K 312 30
"Let them come," he growled to his warriors. "You may try to go against the tide, but in the end, the tide is rising...I am the tide, and I will be y...
10.5K 1.3K 52
Landing herself in trouble with a man who seems to always be there for her, Winter learns she is a cursed witch with a ruined magical core. Secrets a...