The Rockstar Chronicles

By LeahPriceAuthor

Lindy Madison is just a normal, everyday teen. A normal, everyday teen who happens to have a stage mom and a... More

The Rockstar
The Call
The Job
*Changes
The Plan
War
Nightfall
Packing
And we're here....
UPDATE
The View at the Top
Update
Three out of Five ain't bad...
Pizza with the Boys
Bridge
UPDATE!
Home
Home or a factory?
Exploring
My own personal bathroom?
Scars
Shadows
Swimming
Fight
Pizza party
Dance off
The Edge
Free
Minnie
The Garden
Mom's new pet
Slamming Glass Doors
Grady
Nightmares
Rain
Breakfast with the Boys
The Fifth Bandmate
Flowers in the storm
Take One
Dinner
Can you believe it?!?
Misgivings
Rehearsal
Betrayal
Breathe
Bruised
The Dragon's Lair
Stolen Goods
Secrets
The Meeting
All Eyes on Me
Sarah
Vote for your favorite member!
Confrontation
Again
The Procession
Realization
The cabin
Albert
Early Morning
Training
Writing
Supper
Show Dogs
Bubbles
Skimming the surface
Lyrics
Time Warp
Together
Lesson 101
Dress Rehearsal
The Song
The Party
Ransom
The Truth
Broken Pieces
It's here.
THE END
EDITING
Grady's Group
Bridge's Best
Hardyn's Heroes
Tom's Team
Ryder's Ring
Deleted Scene
Deleted Scene: Hardyn

The Talk

7.5K 269 19
By LeahPriceAuthor

That was the night Mom sprung the family talk on me. I was at my lowest and I don't know if she sensed it, like a lion going after an injured animal, or if something Mr. Kane said spurred her on, but we had our family discussion that night and it was terrible.

"Keith, can you hear us?" Mom asked as she adjusted the speakerphone levels in her study. She had called us up there just after dinner. I had thought we were probably going to go over schedules or our performance or something. When I realized what was happening, my stomach rolled.

"Yes," Dad's voice boomed into the room, though the connection was crackly and Mom winced, turning down the volume.

"Kids, we need to have a serious discussion about our future," Mom began, glancing at her notes and then me. I faced her, arms crossed. I wasn't scared.

"As Keith well knows, Lindy has been making plans of her own," Mom smiled at me and I felt the first sharp tinge of misgiving come over me. She knew. "Grady, I think you should know that your sister has been systematically researching and calling our family members in hopes of "escaping" us." Mom made quotation marks with her fingers.

"What?" Grady asked. He sounded confused and when he glanced at me, I felt the sting of accusation in his eyes. "You've been planning on leaving and you never told me?"

I know I shouldn't have been, but I was surprised. After time passed without Aunt Bess saying anything to Mom, I assumed she must have forgotten. I laughed nervously. "You never told me we were coming here."

"That's different," Grady said, his brow furrowed with anger. "I didn't know."

"It's okay, kids," Mom said. "Lindy is not moving in with a relative, as I'm sure she realizes." I stared at her, wondering how much more she knew. "And Lindy, I must applaud you. I'm really very proud. Those acting classes did pay off. You never let on your little plans. It makes me wonder what else you may be hiding."

Mom had known all along. I knew then that day in the car when she mentioned Aunt Bess had been a test. "You were in those acting classes, too," I said. "Watching." And learning. I realized then that it would be hard for me to ever trust her again. She was as good an actress as I was. She laughed lightly and I waited.

She met my gaze. "I was. You're not going to boarding school either." What did she do? Read my journal?

"Dad?" I never looked away from Mom, though my world was falling apart. "Please, get me out of here." My voice shook and I hated myself for it.

"Lindy," Dad sighed. "We've talked about this and your Mom is right. You are exactly where you need to be. Honey, you don't want to be here and we can't afford to send you to boarding school. Albert told me he mentioned it to you." Despite my anger towards Albert, I was relieved my journal was safe.

"Sure, you can't," I muttered, crossing my arms. I refused to look at Grady. I could feel the hurt and anger of my betrayal rolling off of him and I couldn't blame him. I would have felt the same way.

"So I think it's best if we just all stay honest and open with each other," Mom paused and patted her notebook, "And on the same page. Lindy," she lowered her voice, reaching for my hand and staring into my eyes as if she was sympathetic. As if. "I've let you pursue this to give you something to do, but it's time to focus now. Mr. Kane wants you as a backup dancer and he's even willing to let you try singing backup on a few of the songs. It's time to get to work, honey," she touched my cheek with one cold finger and I flinched. In that moment, I hated her.

The next thing I knew I was on the street, running as fast as I could to Mrs. Crabtree's house. I barely remembered jumping out of my seat and running down the hall and out the front door, desperate for escape. I did remember, however, that no one came after me.

No one.

Not even Grady.

Mrs. Crabtree answered the door in her nightgown and robe. Seeing my expression, she simply stepped aside, inviting me indoors. Her house was gloomy, overshadowed as it was by the huge old trees outside. Old pictures of children in costume and dancing covered her walls, but I didn't pay attention. I had more important things on my mind.

"Mrs. Crabtree, she found out," I said. "She knows I've been planning my escape." I gasped for air as tears slid down my cheeks. "And she told Dad and Grady. And now he hates me."

"Now calm down. First of all, Grady doesn't hate you," Mrs. Crabtree said as she sat down on her sofa. She patted the cushion next to her and I joined her. "If I know Grady, he's just feeling hurt. He doesn't want you to leave."

"But I can't stay," I said.

"Lindy, do you really have a choice?" Mrs. Crabtree asked gently.

I began to sob, shaking my head. "What you need to do," Mrs. Crabtree broke through my tears with her gentle tone, "is make a bargain."

"What kind of a bargain?" I asked, still sniffling.

"It may not work, but it's worth a try. Tell your mother you will go along with her plans as long as she lets you attend school. If you're going to school, life won't be too abnormal, will it?"

I nodded. That did sound like a good plan.

Meet Mom halfway.

I could do that.

#

The next morning, I watched as Mom signed my contract, my eyes still red and puffy from the night before. I guess I should have felt something, but I somehow, weirdly, I couldn't. I just felt numb. I think Kandee and Mr. Kane noticed my swollen eyes, but they didn't comment.

They didn't comment because they didn't care.

As soon as Mom finished signing me away, I left the room and ran straight into Grady in the hallway. I bit my lip and tried to think of something to say, but I couldn't come up with anything. I was just too worn out.

He glared at me.

"So I figured it out," he said.

"Figured what out, Grady?" I asked. I walked away and he followed me. I sighed. I didn't have time for this.

"You're running away because of Ryder. Something is going on between you two."

"What?" I turned to face him, completely confused.

"That's why you're leaving, isn't it? I told you not to get involved with him. He's nothing but trouble."

I crossed my arms and glared right back at him. "I thought he was your friend."

"Yeah, but you're my sister," Grady shot back.

"I've got news for you. I'm not leaving. Mom just signed my contract. I'm stuck here now, same as you."

"Oh," Grady said, taken aback.

"Yeah, she's my manager and my mom so it wasn't like I really had any choice." I sighed. "I didn't want to get away from you, Grady, or anyone else. I just wanted to be me, somewhere normal, out of the spotlight."

"Well, just cause you're staying doesn't mean I think any differently. I'm your big brother and you need to listen to me. Stay away from Ryder Rhodes. He's bad news."

I shook my head. "That's where you're wrong, Grady. If I've learned one thing, it's this. I'm on my own in this family. I thought I might as well grow up since I'm the only one here who really cares what happens to me. So I did. I know what's best for me."

"You're all grown up now, huh?" Grady scoffed. "And you know best?

I nodded. "Yep, I am. I can take care of me."

"We'll see," Grady said.

I meant it when I said. I really did think I was grown up. That I could take care of myself.

Why can't I ever be right?

***Ok guys, here's something fun. I've missed dedicating some of the chapters along the way. SO...... if you find a chapter that isn't dedicated and you want it dedicated to you or someone you know (on wattpad, it won't let me dedicate to non-members), be the first to reply in the comments below with the chapter name and the name you want it dedicated to and I'll dedicate it.  Remember, it has to be a chapter that is MISSING the dedication.

What did you guys think of this chapter? And Grady? And Mom?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 4.7K 28
Not every blonde is stupid. In the South if you're a beautiful, blonde, blue-eyed girl high expectations are made. Either you're not extremel...
294K 7.3K 105
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
624K 7.6K 31
The bad boy's life changes when he suddenly becomes the teacher's baby...
2.3K 313 45
Luca Grey, the star football player of Grey College in Glencoe, was running late for practice one day when he stumbled upon Nora Dawson, one of his c...