The Arsenic Widow #Wattys2015...

By JuniperAdler

Incent, a young hunter, is thrown into a dark and terrible job by his King. He is asked to assassinate a Prin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty One

2.9K 208 16
By JuniperAdler

So this chapter is a teeny but shorter than usual because I'm dealing with a lot of University work at the moment.
We're nearing the end of the story! Kind of xD
After this, I'm considering a sequel. Not of the same characters, but in the same world! I have big plans for the next one!!
I hope you enjoy this chappy!

I found myself clinging to Lothaire's back for dear life as he began swimming over the vast lake. It wasn't that I couldn't swim (I could for a short amount of time), but with the lashings on my back I would end up hurting myself to the point where I couldn't move. Lothaire took pity on me and decided to take me over himself.

Even though the sun was out, the water was still icy cold, which caused me to shake slightly. I didn't have an issue with the chill though considering it turned my body numb and I could no longer feel any pain.

I had shut my eyes during the start of the trip across the lake, but now I had them wide open and staring at the castle as we began to near it. I swear I could see the window where my room used to be. I tutted and shook my head. It was never my room; I had just stayed there for a while. Anywhere with Lothaire was my home!

Kicking my feet gently through the water, as if expecting it to help, I lowered my head and put my chin on Lothaire's shoulder. His eyes turned to look at me, pretty much rolling in the sockets in an inhumane way, "What is it?"

I sighed softly and met his eyes, "I just don't think this is a good idea. They have a lot of guards and-"

"I can get in," he cut me off. "And you're going to do whatever I tell you to, aren't you?"

"Yes," I replied softly, my body going slightly limp on his as he carried us over to the other side of the water. When we reached land, Lothaire had to help me stand as my body was shaking too much. He rolled his eyes and began rubbing my arms so I wouldn't go into shock from the temperature changes, but I knew I'd be okay. I'd faced worse than this in my past, but it was still nice that he was bothering to help me.

When I was dry he wasted no time in walking us towards the open area in the wall that guards the castle. It was open due to the fact that it was unlikely that they'd face an attack at any point, but I was still on my guard. The men and women who worked at the castle were smart.

I nearly jumped six feet in the air when I glanced back and noticed someone standing behind Lothaire. I only calmed down (to an extent) when I realised it was Acorn's brother. I was still trying to remember the name Acorn had given me when he'd told me about his brother. I knew it started with the letter K.

"You're here," he murmured, lifting his hands to push his face back into place and not let it drop off. I tried not to look sick, but at the smirk he sent me, I knew it hadn't worked.

"Of course," Lothaire replied coldly. "I don't go back on my word."

I looked between them, knowing that the two demons weren't close. I guess it was just the destruction they wanted to cause that brought them together.

Acorn's brother whistled quietly, "Lothaire, what did you do to the little human's back?"

"He got out of line," Lothaire snapped. "Now come on."

"Don't we need a plan or something?" I asked the question, looking at them in complete confusion.

The two demons began laughing. Not in some sort of evil, sinister way, but an actual slap-your-knee kind of laugh.

"Human," Lothaire wiped a tear from his eye. "Now come."

I followed them along the wall, letting them yank me to and fro behind trees to blend in as well as possible. I would never tell Lothaire but... I wanted to be caught. The idea of killing, no matter who it was for made me feel sick.

"We split up," Acorn's brother hissed to us when we reached the castle. "I'm going to go this way, you go down there, and little human, you can go there."He pointed towards the library. "If Acorn is in there, don't kill him. He's mine. But don't tell him we're here either."

"I don't think it's a good idea to send him anywhere alone," Lothaire grumbled.

The other demon stared at him, "What? You haven't trained your human enough for him to do whatever you want? He looks pretty trained to me. Although he doesn't look well-fucked. It seems like you're holding out. Why?"

Lothaire sneered at him, "Humans aren't to my taste anymore. They're beneath us all."

Acorn's brother tutted loudly, "Never bite the hand that feeds you." He looked at me. "Now go."

With my eyes open wide I crept along the hallway, trying not to make a noise. The library was only a few steps away.

Five... four... three... two... one...

I got to the entryway and ducked in, my breathing speeding up. I fell against the wall and listened. No loud footsteps or yells accompanied me so I believed I was safe. I let out a long sigh and rubbed my tired eyes.

A small noise sounded and I jerked my head up. I couldn't see anyone, but that didn't tell me much. I glanced back towards the entrance one more time before creeping forward and peering around.

I didn't notice the man at first. He was standing so still and he somehow blended in with the background. When my eyes did realise he was there I jerked back. "Acorn?" I gasped softly.

Acorn stepped forward, his eyes dark as he stared at me. None of the usual kindness could be seen within them. Behind him, another figure stepped out. I opened my mouth to tell him to watch out before I realised who it was and nearly choked on my shock.

"Par?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 124K 88
Black Moon Series Book #2 Warning: #Mature #Gay #Office This story is a prequel to I was shooting for the Moon, I Hit Two Stars. I strongly recommend...
9.9K 564 45
ACTION ROMANCE Carlos Matheson. The younger child of the renowned Matheson family. Known to the innocent world for its healthy property portfolio, bu...
50.4K 2K 44
*SEQUEL TO ONE HOT SUMMER* ROMANCE **The sudden action of Jasper getting to standing, caused the bench to make a painful scraping sound against the f...
264K 11K 53
ROMANCE *Jasper continues to watch the man play around on his own in the river. Splashing thin air and washing himself of his dirt and blood stained...