Penthesilea's Wish [Vol.2]

By Califia

This book, the 2nd in the "Penthesilea's Wish" trilogy, is the continuation of the heroic saga lived out by a... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three

Chapter Four

60 11 0
By Califia

The flight from San Francisco to New York, where Nicasio and Daniela would connect for Athens, had begun uneventfully and a bit uncomfortably, as the tickets the professor had purchased were 'economy class.' Nevertheless, after take off, it was a long-awaited opportunity for the two to catch up on what had been occupying their lives since Nicasio's decision to assist Professor Simons. So much had changed since this sudden disruption to their previous routines. Though Daniela did not mention Bryant and his recent advances the week before, she shared with Nicasio the new business project and how it would put her in a more valuable light with the firm, and especially her immediate supervisor, Mr. Cuomo.

"Are you sure this isn't just another of Cuomo's ploys to try to get you into bed?" Nicasio asked, surprisingly smiling. For the past year Daniela had kept him aware of her boss's unwanted attraction to her and his not-so-subtle advances. Yet, at each of these reports in the past, Nicasio had merely used the information as an opportunity to tease her—though she never understood the humor in it.

"No," she responded confidently this time. "Actually . . . he was pretty serious about my skills for once. He wants my computer graphic smarts. And my full assistance on the project." She smiled back self-assuredly. "There's even supposed to be a pay raise when it's final."

"Hmm . . . knowing Cuomo, we'll have to see about that. So, anyway . . . it seems Miss Dani here is in high demand these days. Your supervisor must be looking for something more than his . . . usual." Nicasio grinned again and leaned over to kiss her, condescendingly.

She quickly pulled away, not allowing him the demeaning gesture.

"And by the way, Nicasio . . . I can handle myself with Mr. Cuomo. All jerks like him are the same. It's quite easy to put them off . . . just annoying, that's all."

He could see she was not amused by the banter.

"OK, but seriously, Angel," he offered as an afterthought. "I do think it's nice you're being better appreciated there."

She glanced back at him, expressionlessly.

"I mean for whatever reason. Cuomo has always been such a pathetic ass to you. And he's lucky to have someone with your talents working there. Come on. You and I both know that."

While the plane reached its terminal altitude and was now flying somewhere over Arizona, Daniela remained quiet and refrained from looking at him further. It was in response to his obviously contrived compliments. After another twenty minutes of silent flight, which Nicasio perceived as punishment, she finally spoke up again.

"So . . . Professor Carvajal. Now that we're both in the same place at the same time . . . are you going to share the purpose of our mission to Athens with me? You don't even know how much trouble I had getting away with this."

Nicasio was still exhausted from his last minute packing the night before. He had been trying those twenty minutes unsuccessfully to sleep in his cramped passenger seat. Much earlier they had arrived separately by taxi at the San FranciscoInternationalAirport. It was an ungodly hour. And though now it was only 8:45 AM, Nicasio was very conscious of the fact that he had not slept all night.

He opened his eyes and turned to her patiently. "Well. . . OK, mi novia. Here's the good news." He spoke in a low, monotone voice, his eyes closing periodically while his seat was still reclined. He was hoping to divert a complete debriefing of the project at that early hour in favor of just a little more sleep.

"Great." She said smiling. You know I like good news, professor."

"Well . . . see . . . you won't really have to tag along everywhere I go when we get there. There'll probably be a lot of opportunities for you to just . . . chill. You know. Do your own thing. Go sight-seeing . . . shop . . . whatever."

"Oh great! So you still won't tell me. Probably not even when we get to Athens . . . right?"

Nicasio laughed. He realized there was no way out. Not anymore. Daniela did deserve to know, he thought. "OK. OK, Angelina bonita, I'll tell you . . ."

She fought back a grin while listening, toying with this fresh edge of power she realized she could hold over him.

"Besides . . . what makes you think I won't want to come along with you? Everywhere. I'm interested in new places . . . and I'm still super curious about this whole thing. Just tell me what you and Simons think you'll find over there? . . . I mean, it's so strange . . . you're studying California. Right?"

Nicasio's eyes were closed again. "Yes. That's right. Now look . . . just give me one more hour of sleep . . . and I promise. I'll tell you everything. We've got a lot of time on this flight to discuss all this, Dani."

"No, Nicasio! Game over! Tell me now!"

He slowly sat forward and opened his eyes. He could see in the distance in front of him the in-flight movie screen for the first time. It featured a car driving off a cliff.

"Alright. You win Angel."

This time it was Daniela who sat back in her seat. Just to listen.

"So . . . our business in Athens will basically be to make contacts with some other researchers who Dr. Simons has knowledge of."

"OK . . . and?"

And we'll see what they know about certain things . . . and maybe find some . . . missing pieces in the process."

He leaned back in his seat, threatening to close his eyes again.

"Missing pieces? Things? Oh . . . now I get it! Thank you very much Nicasio."

He quietly laughed again—as if teasing a child.

"Alright!" Again he sat up and this time faced her. "We're going over there to check out any related information we can find. You see, obviously there are things we've missed over here. In fact . . . most of what we've found so far has only produced bigger and more aggravating questions . . .about . . . our topic. There now. Happy?"

He was half-hiding a diabolical grin.

"Nicasio! You're not saying anything. And this is not funny anymore! Now tell me! Why are we going to Greece? Aren't the people there still in some kind of economic depression right now? Will it be difficult for us to . . . "

"You're absolutely right Daniela . . . it's probably the worst time in this entire century to be in Athens."

"So why the hell are we on an airplane going there, Nicasio?"

Suddenly he burst out laughing. They both noticed the people across the isle from them had turned to look. They were obviously annoyed by the disturbance.

"Wow, Dani," he said in a softer voice. "I guess it's time I really did tell you everything."

His chiding mood had now morphed into a more serious one.

"So look. We'll be in Greece to visit a few libraries and museums. We'll see some ancient sites. We'll bring back certain photos of artwork and artifacts . . . relating to our . . . "

"Topic!"

Yes. And so basically, my love . . . we'll just be snooping around a lot. Trying to piece together something that originated over there, and so far, just makes no sense to us as it exists in California."

He could see from Daniela's blank expression that she was only growing more angry. He quickly continued so as not to let her vent further.

"You see, Angelina, it's mostly about us checking in to the School of Classical Studies over there. We need to search for anything . . . new. Any discoveries which have been made during the past decade or so. Any details relating to the study of . . ."

"Of . . .?

"OK. . . Amazons."

Daniela blinked her eyes twice. "What?"

"Women warriors . . . you know . . . from the past?"

"You mean like. . . Xena?"

Nicasio put his head back and only wanted to close his eyes again.

"Yeah . . . basically. Like her. Exactly. Like Xena."

"Are you kidding me, Nicasio?" He could hear a lightness now to her voice.

"Nope. No I'm not kidding you. Amazons."

"What do Amazons have to do with the history of California?"

"There. You see? Bingo! That's why we're going to Athens, love."

She was silent. Possibly ready to explode, he thought. But still waiting for some definitive answer.

"So what's Xena got to do with California, Nicasio?"

"Well, at this point . . . that's just it. We don't know exactly. See I'm not saying what the connection is because the professor and I are pretty clueless about it all. But if you can tell me the answer to that my sweet Angelina . . . then we'll both know."

He rested his head again against the back of the seat and closed his eyes. He was struggling now to keep them closed, fearful that Daniela might even strike him. Instead, she calmly put her hand lightly on his arm to reestablish his attention. She then whispered into his ear.

"You mean . . . the two of you professors . . . really don't know?" Her voice was animated, as if the whole inquiry was turning out to be a joke.

Nicasio suddenly opened his eyes and jerked forward.

"Yes, Dani. We really don't know!! At this point in time we just are in the dark. . . We've only gained an incredibly small series of details. But they hold great promise. Toward a huge discovery. Maybe one of the biggest to come along in a while. Historically speaking. But for now we . . . all we have is a Greek style burial tomb back there in Big Sur with a lot of crazy Amazon designs on a marble coffin. Speculation is cheap and that's all we have for now. And that's why we're going to Athens!"

Realizing she had hit an emotional trigger in him, Daniela refrained from asking any more questions. After his sudden and unexpected release of tension, Nicasio looked at her more sincerely. There was a pause as the two searched each other's faces in a rare moment.

He was noticing the way the clear morning light from outside the airplane window illuminated her alert expression. He capriciously touched her cheek, focusing his gaze on her frozen classic features. It was a face which, even after their years together, he never tired of looking at. But now, there was definitely something more—a newer attractiveness to her which she seemed to exude. Effortlessly when she spoke or looked at him. It was an aura he had only begun to see—some new air of mystery in this young woman whom he had grown to love deeply during the intensive period of his final education. Her look there in the plane carried with it an expression which spoke silently of a new confidence. A brewing of power. He wondered why he had not seen that look it in her before. Anytime over the past five years.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.2K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
453 6 12
I give him an angry glare. "Another reason why I left Olympus is because I don't want to deal with you gods. So why don't you leave me alone and go a...
50 26 25
You play games. She plays tricks. In the realm of games, where trickery abounds, a tale arises of a gifted assassin. Cassandra Roman Elizabeth Viper...
17K 509 26
Danielle Rodriguez has spent the last three weeks in Spain with her girlfriends, living wild and free like a normal nineteen year old on holiday brea...