In The Rough

By TaylorRae32

Reese Fode is a girl who mainly keeps to herself. While dealing with family problems she debates on whether t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Publication

Chapter 21

3.7K 111 13
By TaylorRae32

(Reese's POV)

School ended about an hour ago. Graham had spent every second he could with me. Which I was thankful for. I liked being around him. Probably because I like him.

When I was in nothing but a towel he was checking me out and it didn't bother me one bit. I just wanted to know what he thought of me. I wanted to know what he was thinking at that time. I guess I'll just have to find out myself.

I kick a rock as I make my way to the cemetery. I was visiting my moms grave. I made it a point to visit as often as I could, I'd update her on what was going in with my life. It was ridiculous that they didn't even have a funeral for her. They just buried her. Once I reach her grave I become confused. There are dozens of flowers that covered her headstone. Roses, daisies, and carnations. I hadn't put them there, so who did?

My moms grave that was once dull and bare is now colorful and bright because of the many flowers. Maybe Jay was the one who did it. I think he loved her, that would explain why he had cried when he found out she died. I'll just ask him. He's changed, when he saw me at home he didn't yell or hit me. He didn't even glare my way.

"Hey, mom." I greet the medium sized gravestone. "Who gave you all these flowers?"

Of course I got no answer, I mean, I'm talking to a stone. I just feel like she can hear me, like she's listening. She's always listen to me before. She'd listen to my problems and then give me advice. I just wish she was here and I'll always want that. I know she can't come back. I'm okay with that now because I've accepted her death. I will find out who did this to her and the baby. I want to hear their excuse as to why they did this, then fled the scene. I want to know if they are remorseful for what they've done. There are just a lot of unanswered questions.

"So there's this guy," I started. Yes, I was going to tell her about Graham. He was my only crush and he cared for me. I wanted to tell her I was being treated right, to let her know that I was okay. "His name is Graham. He's sweet and he's nice to me. He knows about Jay as well. He just wants to protect me. He's held me while I cried and he's helped me through hard times. We almost kissed, actually. I really wanted him to kiss me but his sister and her friend interrupted. I hope he kisses me soon though." I blush at the thought of his lips on mine.

I tell her all about the last month, some things I've already told her once before. I tell her about Adrienne and how I miss her. She's coming back in one day and as soon as she does we're going shopping and having a movie marathon. I talk for three hours as I sit at the foot of her grave.

Once I finish, I bid her farewell then I stand up to leave. There was a sound of rustling in the distance. I walk two steps towards the noise and squint my eyes trying to see better. I back away slowly, getting ready to turn and leave,  when I see a head peak out from behind a tree. It was retracted quickly and my eyes widen as I turn and take off running. I dart through the trees as I take the short way out.

I didn't get a good look at the face but I saw they had short hair. Once I thought I was a safe distance away I slowed my pace. I walked all the way home to my house, which both Graham and Cameron would oppose to. When I step inside I see Jay passed out on the couch  with his mouth open causing him to drool everywhere.

I walked into the basement and set my bag down. I was ready for a nap. My sleep last night was restless. Then I had the nightmare. I am so embarrassed about that. I'm such a weak person. I cried in Graham's arms until I fell asleep. Jays right, I am pathetic.

After about an hour nap I realized that I was starving. Jogging upstairs I saw that Jay was no longer sleeping either. I made some chicken and mashed potatoes. "Jay, are you hungry?" I call into the living room. He comes out into the kitchen.

"I was hungry six hours ago but you decided not to come home. Where the hell where you?" He asked angrily.

"I was visiting my mothers grave," I said. "Haven't you visited her?" I was thinking he would say yes so I could say he had no right to be mad.

"No, I haven't went at all!" He yelled at me and my face twisted in confusion.

"You didn't bring her a bunch of flowers?" I questioned and he shook his head in disgust.

"That whore was probably seeing someone else." He accused, which hit a nerve.

"Don't speak about my mother like that." I said though gritted teeth. His eyes widened and his nostrils flared with anger.

I soon realize he is advancing at me so I move and run into the living room. I reach for the door and open it but he shut it with his foot. "Where are you going? Back to you're boy toy? Poor guy doesn't even realize he's being used by a slut. You get it from your mom." He snarls at me, his proximity made me uncomfortable. He had me trapped against a door with his body. I was about to cry but I wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

His hands found my waist and he gripped so hard I was sure it'd leave a bruise. He pulled me until my body was pressed against his and then he slammed me against the front door with all his might, making my loose my breath momentarily. I gasped and tried to catch my breath. Resultantly, he smirked at what he'd done. "Stop," my voice was a lot stronger than I had expected.

He looked surprised to say the least. I then squirmed, stepping on his bare feet. He stumbled back and opened the door running out and to Cameron's house. He opened the door within seconds and he pulled me into a hug. I wasn't crying but he knew from the look on my face.

We were up in his room and he was trying to cheer me up. "So I bought you something." He said as he pulled out clay and an airbrush from his closet. I smiled and he gave me a hopeful look. I took them in my hands.

"Thank you," I say and he just shrugs. "Let's watch a movie!" I exclaimed. He laughed and brought out one of my favorite movies, The Exorcist.

We watched movies for hours on end. I got in the shower and then got ready for bed. We had two hours to sleep before we had to go to school. I passed out around five thirty so I had to get up in an hour.

By lunch time I was definitely ready to eat. I hadn't seen Graham until now and I can safely say that he has seen better days. He had bags under his eyes as if he hadn't slept all night. Once he saw me his eyes had brightened a little and I was pleased that I could have that effect on him. He sat down right next to me and kissed my cheek. I blushed and Cameron and Brianna smirked where as Adrienne looked completely shocked.

Adrienne came back this morning and she had missed a lot. I agreed to catch her up after school and told her we could go shopping. As Graham kissed my cheek she just looked utterly confused and happy at the same time. I smiled at her then turned to Graham. He was staring at me and when I caught him he quickly looked away. I laughed lightly and scratched my side. I went to pull my shirt back down but Graham grabbed my hand before I could. I follow his gaze down to my hips that have finger shaped bruises.

"Where did you stay last night?" He asks me softly and I shake my head.

"With Cameron," I assure and he believes me. I didn't think he would, I thought he'd have to check with Cameron first. I leaned forward to whisper in his ear. "He did it last night, before I went to Cams. I mouthed off." I explain and make sure no one heard. Luckily, no one did.

He grabbed my hand and kissed my scabbed knuckles. "I don't want you to go back anymore," he murmurs.

"I have to." I tell him an he closes his eyes.

"Just don't go there without me." He reasoned and my eyes widened as I shook my head furiously. "Please? He won't hurt me, I promise. He won't hurt you if I'm there."

If he gets hurt then I won't be able to live with myself. At the same time I want to believe what he said. "Okay," I said breathily and he smiled pulling my entire body to him and embracing me into a careful hug. I was basically sitting on his lap now. I notice people looking at us and giving us curious expressions.

"Ignore them," he whispers in my ear. I do as he says and then lunch was over.

School was quick and I went to the mall with Adrienne. I had to be back early because Mike was coming tomorrow. I already caught Adrienne up on the Graham drama and what not. She was pissed when I told her what Brianna and Holly did. Now I was going to tell her about Jay. "You know my step dad, Jay?" I asked her calmly.

"Yeah," she says as her eyebrows furrow.

"He hits me," I rushed out. She stares at me in complete shock. All the bags she had in her hands hit the ground and she stared analyzing my body.

"I'm sorry! I should have known! All the bruises and cuts. I'm so stupid." She yells looking at my faded black eye. My lip was completely healed except for the small scar left behind. I heal quickly, unless I pick at the scabs. I still had a little gash on my hip because it was so deep. Most of my bruises had healed up and my cuts too. I was healing pretty well.

"Is not your fault. I've been staying with Cameron and Graham so I haven't gotten it too bad lately." I try to convince her.

"You can stay with me anytime you need, you're my best friend. I can't believe I didn't figure it out," She exasperated. "Who else knows?"

"Too many people," I mutter. She gives me a tired look and I tell her. "Cameron, Graham and you." I answer and she nods.

"No one else?" She asks and I think about it for a minute.

"Well there's a chance that Andy knows. Although I didn't tell him." I say and she gives me a weird look.

"Who's Andy?" She asks and I mentally slap myself.

"Officer Menna," I elaborate. She gives me a look of bewilderment.

"The cop knows?" She all but yells.

"Well I didn't tell him but he probably does." She just shakes her head at me.
After that we went to her house and watched Harry Potter. Then I went home.

I snuck in down stairs and took my shower. I got everything ready and then went to sleep. When I woke up I got ready and ran to meet Mike at the diner. When I arrive, he's already there. "Hey!" He exclaimed and I run up to hug him.

"What happened to your eye?" He asks pulling away.

"I was messing around with a friend and things got out of hand." I lied but he believed it and we went on our way. "We have to wait for Cameron." I say and he rolls his eyes.

Not five minutes later Cameron walks through the door. He was dressed up a little more than usual. He blonde hair was styled to perfection and he was wearing a grey shirt with some jeans. I look over and see Mike staring wide-eyed at him. I smirk and wave him over. He smiles showing off his slight dimples and I'm pretty sure Mike just audibly sighed. I laugh a little and Cameron sits down. "What's the plan?" He asks me.

"Cameron, this is Mike. Mike, this is Cameron." I introduce the two. Cameron turns to face Mike and his smile drops. I get confused for a moment. Then I realize what's happening.

They are both looking at each other with wide eyes. "H-hi," Cameron stutter and I smirk. They are going to get married. I think to myself.

Mike blushed and I'm reframing myself from squealing with joy. "I'm Mike," he says. Then blushed deeper and laughs nervously, "but you already knew that."

"I'm going to go to the restroom," I excuse myself but neither of them notice. I did well. I head over to the restroom and I see Graham, Brianna, and Holly. She seems to be spending a lot of time with them lately.

I wash my hands and then I get ready to leave. I didn't have to use the restroom I just wanted to give them some time to theirselves. Just as I'm about to pass the table that Graham's was at I hear a whine, "Reese!" I can't help but laugh at Mike. He can be a child when he wants to be. He can also be intimidating. He's a very confusing character. "Why did you leave?" He pouts.

"I had to pee!" I exclaimed and he just laughed.

"Yeah right," he snorted out.

"Whatever," I admit. "You didn't even notice I was gone until now."

"He's just so cute," he pouts again and I just shove his shoulder.

"I told you, you'd like him." I whispered and he rolled his eyes. "I think he likes you too," I add.

His eyes filled with hope. "Really?"

"It's pretty obvious." I chuckle and he sighs.

"Let's eat and then go to the movies," He suggested.

"Hey, Reese." I hear a familiar voice say.

My smile grows wide as I look at Graham, "Hey." He doesn't look too happy as he stares Mike down. "Oh, Mike this is Graham. Graham, this is my friend Mike. We used to go to school together before I moved." I told them and they nodded to each other.

Mike smirked at me and I knew that this was going to be bad. "Was this the guy you were talking about on the phone?"

"Yes," I admitted and blushed. I look down to avoid any eye contact. I glanced up at Graham who had a large smile on his face as he looked at me.

"So you talk about me huh?" He teased only causing me to blush even more.

"That's Brianna," I pointed to her. Holly clears her throat and I raise a brow.

"I'm Holly," she says winking at him. I laugh loudly and Cameron comes up behind me. Mike takes a step back and everyone gives me confused looks.

"Um, I'm hungry." Mike says awkwardly I'm aware that it's because Holly is making him uncomfortable. I mean, he's gay and she's hitting on him.

"We can join you!" Holly said as she stood up from the table and walked over to our booth with Mike. Cameron was glaring at the back of her head and I patted his shoulder.

After we ate I was finding it funny that Holly was still hitting on Mike. Cameron was having no fun at all. Graham sat beside me and kept touching me. Whether it was holding my hand or kissing my cheek. I just watched in amusement as Holly went to kiss Mike and he shoved her face away.

"Just tell them," I say and he looks up and nods. He's already came out about being gay. Cameron was the one who hasn't.

"I'm gay, so back off." He said moving to sit by Brianna.

Graham lets out a breath. "I was nervous you'd make a move on my girl." He joked and I laughed as well as everyone else at the table. Mine wasn't whole hearted though. It actually kind of hurt.

"Don't be nervous sweetie. No one can take me from you." Holly winked and Graham looked confused. His mouth made an O shape and he turned to me.

"I was actually talking about Reese." He said quietly then his eyes widened and he started shaking his head. "Not that you're my girl. If you don't want to be. We never said we were going to be anything other than friends. I know you don't like me like that." He rambled nervously.

I blushed deeply at his words. He called me his girl. Then he took it back and said that I didn't like him like that. I can't believe he doesn't see right through me. I suck at hiding my feelings. Cameron snorts and Graham looked at him. His cheeks still a rosy color. "You're stupid," Cameron tells him. I slap his chest but he just shrugs.

"How am I stupid?" He asked and I sink down in my seat. Holly is officially planing my death by the look she is giving me.

"It's pretty obvious, dude." Mike says looking at me and then back to Graham.

"Someone please tell me why I'm stupid!" He demands.

"Reese-" Mike starts but I cut him off.

"We're going to be late for the movie." I talk over him and he smirks.

"We don't even know which movie we are going to see." Mike points out and I blush getting up from my seat.

"Well, I wouldn't want to be late for it." I said lamely.

Both Cameron and Mike smile at me and we take our leave. However, before I can walk away Graham grabs my arm. "Are you staying with me tonight?"

"If you want me to," I hint shyly.

"I really do," he whispers back. I smile brightly and nod.

"I'll be a little late though, if that's okay." I add hesitantly.

"Of course, I'll see you then." He says kissing my cheek. I blush and then follow the boys to the car.

--------------------------

A/N:

My book could be a lifetime movie. Seriously, if it was good enough. I know my chapters are boring and some of them are just fillers but as you read and the story goes on, you'll understand why. There is going to be a lot of secrets spilled soon. 😈

Vote, comment, and follow please.

-Fergie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Cresley Creek By - k

General Fiction

143 17 5
Wren Cresley navigates a world where privilege and pessimism fight for dominance. She finds out just how unforgiving the real world can be and how on...
200 17 4
It is said that what you don't know can't hurt you. But what if not knowing is the one thing putting you in danger? When Emma wakes up from a coma af...
34.7K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...
26K 1.1K 28
Reese Sin shows up mid year at King Academy. Everyone's curious about the new student. Reese automatically attracts the attention of Seven King, the...