Princess Darrel Crawley | A D...

By Writographer

"14 years ago...I had an affair with Lord Grantham. You are not Lady Grantham's child." "We just want you to... More

Introduction
Chapter One | The Mysterious Telegram
Chapter Three | Lord Grantham's Shame
Chapter Four | More surprises
Chapter Five | London
Chapter Six | Parents
Chapter Seven | Siblings
Chapter Eight | Siblings II
Chapter Nine | The Queen and Robert
Chapter Ten | Back Home
Chapter Eleven | Plotting
Chapter Twelve | Decisions
Chapter Thirteen | Ill
Chapter Fourteen | Decision Time
Chapter Fifteen | Love Life
Chapter Sixteen | Paul vs. Sebastian
Chapter Seventeen | Thomas and Darrel
Bonus Chapter | Darrel's Childhood
Chapter Eighteen | Our Spot
Chapter Nineteen | Planning
Chapter Twenty | Leaving Day
Chapter Twenty-One | Heated Discussion
Chapter Twenty-Two | The Role She was Born to Play
Chapter Twenty-Three | The New Princess
Chapter Twenty-Four | The Prince and Princess
Chapter Twenty-Five | Paul
Chapter Twenty-Six | The Announcement
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Fathers
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Missing
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Talking
Chapter Thirty | Family Dinner
Chapter Thirty-One | Meeting the Family
Chapter Thirty-Two | Prior Engagement
Chapter Thirty-Three | A Prince, a Princess, and a Jealous Paul
Chapter Thirty-Four | Falling Apart
Chapter Thirty-Five | Stand by Her
Chapter Thirty-Six | An Olive Branch
Chapter Thirty-Seven | Power and Admiration
Chapter Thirty-Eight | The Ball
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Threats
Chapter Forty | Threats Pt. 2
Chapter Forty-One | Royal Bodyguards at Downton
Chapter Forty-Two | Lord Grantham's Rage
Chapter Forty-Three | The Spanish Prince Returns
Chapter Forty-Four | Irresponsible Royals
Chapter Forty-Five | Abdicating?
Chapter Forty-Six | Scared
Chapter Forty-Seven | Back to London
Chapter Forty-Eight | Rumours
Bonus Chapter | Love Letters
Chapter Forty-Nine | Arguments
Chapter Fifty | Our Spot Pt. 2
Chapter Fifty-One | Sebastian and JF
Chapter Fifty-Two | Love & Found
Chapter Fifty-Three | Darrel & Sebastian
Chapter Fifty-Four | The New Spanish Prince
Sequel Announcement

Chapter Two | The New Heiress

3.3K 82 9
By Writographer

 Darrel entered her classroom to find Ms Bunting sitting at her desk, grading a batch of essays (and no doubt giving her a failing mark).

"How can I help you, m'lady?" Ms Bunting asked with a mock polite tone.

Darrel ignored her teacher's tone, not having the patience for it at the moment. "I have to return home."

"Why? Do you need to redo your hair? Or select your evening dress?"

"If I cared about my hair or evening dresses, I would have stayed home with a governess, rather than coming to school every day to subject myself to your constant stream of insults and mediocre teaching skills."

Ms Bunting opened her mouth to retort but decided against it. She knew there was only so much that she could get away with saying before Darrel complained to her father. If Lord Grantham found out about the trouble Ms Bunting caused, she knew he would come down to the schoolhouse to scream at her and insist that Mr Dawes sack her.

"Well, why do you need to leave school early?" Ms Bunting inquired, forcing herself to have an even tone.

"I received a telegram from Her Majesty, the Queen. She requested that I go to Buckingham Palace at once," Darrel informed.

"Her Majesty wants you to go to Buckingham Palace? Do you honestly expect me to believe that? How thick do you think I am?"

"Incredibly. But I have proof."

With a scowl, Darrel took the telegram out of her pocket and handed it to her teacher. Ms Bunting glanced at it, rolling her eyes.

"Very well, you may go," she sighed. "Although be sure to catch up with what you missed."

"Thank you for your kindness," Darrel replied with heavy sarcasm.

Darrel gathered her belongings and then left the schoolhouse as she muttered: "odious woman" under her breath.

When Darrel returned to Downton, she saw that the car had already been brought around. Robert waited by it with a scowl on his face.

"Thank you," Darrel nodded to Thomas, who bowed in response.

"I do not like the idea of my fourteen-year-old daughter rushing off to London," Robert declared. "It seems to be a foolish idea."

"Papa, I received a summon from the Queen of England. I do not think it would be wise to ignore it, do you?"

"But I do not understand why she summoned you."

"I am afraid I cannot provide any answers for you until I go to Buckingham Palace and listen to what Her Majesty has to say."

Robert scowled but nodded, knowing that Darrel had made some good points, and he could not argue with her.

"Very well," Robert nodded. "But do be careful. I do not want you wandering around London. You shall go from here to the train, to the Palace, and back on the train. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, Papa," Darrel replied.

"Good. Have a safe trip."

"Thank you, Papa."

Darrel hugged her father, kissing him on both cheeks, and then climbed into the car. Robert watched it drive off, and let out a heavy sigh.

"Barrow," Robert called.

"Yes, m'lord?" Thomas said, approaching his employer.

"Pour me a strong drink and have it delivered to my dressing room."

"Yes, m'lord."

Robert marched into the house, followed by his dog, Teo.

A few hours later, Darrel arrived safely in London and took a cab to Buckingham Palace. While she found the circumstances rather odd, she found it exciting to be in London by herself. She had not been to London for quite a while. The last time she was there was for her cousin Rose MacClare (now Aldridge)'s presentation. However, at the time, she was only eleven years old and did not get to partake much in the celebrations.

The cab pulled up in front of Buckingham Palace, and a guard approached them. The driver rolled down the window.

"What business do you have here?" The guard inquired.

"Ask the young lady, sir," he replied. "I am just the driver."

The guard walked over to the backseat and opened the door. He studied Darrel, finding it odd that a young girl in a farmer's dress was on her own, and wanting to enter Buckingham Palace.

"What business do you have here?" The guard demanded.

"I received a telegram from Her Royal Majesty, the Queen," Darrel informed, handing him the telegram. "My name is Darrel Crawley."

The guard studied it for a moment and then nodded "Very well. Come with me."

Darrel paid the driver and then climbed out of the cab. The guard ordered Darrel to follow him, and she did as she was told.

As they walked through Buckingham Palace, Darrel kept looking around (causing the guard to bark at her to keep up), admiring its architecture and design. She sensed all the passing servants glance over at her, feeling as if Darrel was very out of place at the Palace.

The guard stopped at a door, then turned to Darrel, "Wait right here. Do not move."

"Yes, sir," Darrel nodded.

The guard opened the door and then shut it closed behind him. Darrel stayed still, feeling intimidated by the guard and the palace in general. However, the door opened soon after, and the guard stepped out, informing Darrel that she could go inside.

Darrel stepped into a drawing room to find Queen Mary of Teck, King George V and Prince Edward waiting. The men stood as she entered. Darrel curtsied, trying to remember what she learnt about how to do it properly. She wished she had changed before showing up at Buckingham Palace in a farm dress.

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Lady Darrel," King George V nodded.

"How may I be of assistance to you, Your Majesty?" Darrel inquired, rising from her curtsy.

"I assume that you have heard about Prince Edward, and his inability to produce an heir?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, that means that I have to figure out who is second-in-line to the throne."

Darrel nodded, not quite sure what to say. Why on earth should this involve her?

"Well, Lady Darrel," Queen Mary of Teck said, "I have some news for you that will come to you as quite a shock."

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Darrel replied, hoping that she addressed the members of the Royal Family correctly.

"14 years ago...I had an affair with Lord Grantham. You are not Lady Grantham's child."

Darrel let out a quiet gasp. She did not understand how that could be true. Too shocked to remain upright, Darrel sank into the nearest chair, forgetting about formalities. However, nobody seemed to mind at the moment.

"Your Majesty, if I am not Lady Grantham's daughter, then why did I grow up at Downton Abbey?" Darrel asked, finally finding your voice. "Why did she pretend that I was her child?"

"That evening with Lord Grantham was a mistake," Queen Mary replied. "When I found out that I was with child, I knew that I had to get rid of you. You could not stay here; I would not cause a scandal in the papers. So I told Lord Grantham to take you; to keep you away from the palace. He agreed on the condition that you never returned here, and never learnt about your parentage. As to why Lady Grantham agreed, why I have no idea."

"If that is so, then why are you telling me now, ma'am?"

"I agreed to Lord Grantham's conditions. However, I told him that if you were needed in some way, I could contact you. And now, this has happened."

Darrel was unable to speak. She did not know what to say. She did not even know what to think. She knew that Robert married Cora for her money, but she thought that they grew to love each other. Why would Robert ever cheat on her? And why with the Queen of England?

"You need not say anything right now," Prince Edward said, noticing the confused look on her face. "We just want you to know that the United Kingdom will be yours someday."

Once again, Darrel was in too much shock to say anything. Everyone turned to the door as it opened and a man in a butler's livery walked in.

"Telegram for you, Your Majesty," he informed.

"Thank you, Wilson," Queen Mary of Teck nodded as she opened the telegram. "That will be all."

Wilson bowed and then left the room.

"What is it?" Prince Edward inquired.

"It is from Lord Grantham," the queen replied, looking at Darrel. "He wants you to return to Downton immediately. He wishes to tell you his side of the story."

"That seems fair," King George V said. "Lady Darrel, you have my permission to withdraw."

Darrel nodded as she got to her feet, "I shall return, Your Majesties."

"You do not have much of a choice, Lady Darrel. You will be the Queen whether you like it or not."

Darrel nodded again, bobbed a curtsey, and then left the room. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.8K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
367K 8.3K 40
From the good to the bad, everyone's favorite Slytherin princess, Rowan Bailey; seems like princess, isn't so innocent after all. + A book that takes...
23.8K 519 22
โ ๐ด ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘’ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘’๏ผŒ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘๐‘  ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ก ๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’. โž Anna read out loud, while I was staring at the flower that Lord Tewksbury gave...
6M 205K 52
She has it all except his heart. She had done both amazing and ridiculous things but was still treated as a wallflower. She's been a good wife. Bu...