Departure Lounge (Completed)

By YolieB

"Life is made up of years that mean nothing and moments that mean it all." (unknown) When Claire makes her ch... More

Chance Meeting
Promise me
Waking up
Decisions
One Step at a Time...
Welcome to Motherhood
Time to go Home...
Introductions...
Memories
Tell me what you Need
A-note: Just an Update
Where to go from here..
Sunday Dinner
He's Back...
A work of Art
New Developements pt 1
New Developments pt2
No turning back
Afternoon Delights
Living with Mom
Cat's out of the Bag
Unfit Lifestyle
Broken Promises
Reality Strikes
Winter is here
Moving On
Family Vacay
In memory of...
Champagne at Sunset
Unexpected Boat ride
Secrets,Lies, and Deceit
Counter-Offer
Be Happy...
A Changed Life
AN: What's Next

Betrayed

1.9K 115 3
By YolieB

**Unedited**

The days following the hospital were horrible, I didn't return to work and I could barely manage to do anything at home-it was a very good thing that my father was returning in a few days. The only time I left the house was to meet with my lawyers; as it turned out they suspended visitations said it would help if the girls got some separation. I didn't see it as helpful of course but somehow Ben had used the entire media craze and my few outbursts to make it look like I was crazy and unfit.

In one week everything was crumbling. I hadn't seen Nate since the following morning of the incident where he clearly expressed how angry he was that I hadn't called to tell him what happened with Amy. He left no opportunity for me to explain he just stormed in and then blew out of my apartment as quick as he came in.

As it stands with the girls, I have my lawyers working the best case for me and it will all come down to the trial, it was all out of my hands for now. But at least I could try to fix things with Nate; tonight was his special dinner where he was being honoured for his achievements  in the business sphere and I figured it was the perfect way to start mending fences. I planned a full spa day to prepare, my evening gown was perfect as Nate had chosen it a few weeks back, said he wanted me to wear something a little daring that will make all other men 'eat their hearts out'. All in all I was prepared to win back my man.

"That dress is a little risqué for an event don't you think."

"Nate chose this dress mother and it's his night so I am happy to wear it." It was a lovely red gown, with a lace bodice and a dramatic centre V-slit in front. It made a statement of course but a tasteful one.

"Very well. He is a bit late to collect you though."

"He is not coming, I'm going to meet him there- actually I'm going to surprise him." With that I left the house getting into the town car. We had underestimated the traffic and seem that I would wind up being a bit late. Ideally I would prefer to have talked to Nate beforehand but I am hoping that my presence will be enough to put me on the road to forgiveness.

As expected, the doors to the ballroom were closed and I could hear the MC on stage greeting everyone. Approaching the door I nodded to the attendant to open and he did the action only caught the attention of those sitting towards the back of the room but I wasn't concern with their distaste for my late arrival. Knowing that Nate would be seated somewhere close to the stage I made my way through the tables; the MC mentioned his name and gestured towards him and that gave me the clue as to where he was. Spotting the back of his head I smiled, I already felt a little better, knowing that soon things between us would be fixed and my days would be a little brighter.

Nate leaned over to talk to a man on his right and then he made the same movement to his left, I hadn't expected both seats to be filled as I was intended to be his date and one of those seats should be mine. Deciding that it wouldn't be a problem I kept walking until I saw who occupied the seat to his left. My vision turned as red as my dress, he brought Lindsay as a replacement date. Never mind that he had a replacement all together but did he really have to choose her. I stood frozen for a moment longer, still trying to adjust my eyes to what was happening in front of me, somewhere along the way Nate had replaced me. I knew we had problems but this was uncalled for and so public, as I am sure persons here would have expected to see me here with him. Betrayed, that is how I felt-my blood was boiling and I knew that I had to leave before I did anything rash; as I was about to turn away Nate got up from his seat.

The MC had finished his introduction and it was time for Nate to give his speech; as he did so he caught sight of me, the sight of me caused a hitch in his breath and I felt satisfied that I caused that reaction. His gaze was frozen on me and I did my very best to hide my hurt and tears. Lindsay turned to see what he was looking at and when she saw me her smug expression told me all I needed to know. Without looking back at Nate I spun around and left him still standing there.

Back out in the lobby I could finally breathe; I can't believe that I survived a plane crash to suffer through this bullshit.

"Lexi, wait!"

"What are you doing? You're needed on stage." I kept my back towards him.

"I didn't know if you'd come, you hadn't talked to me days."

"No Nate, you haven't talked to me days. Last I saw you, you were slamming my front door; now I come here to find Lindsay Porter of all people sitting in my place. Nate even in the darkest of times between us I am always at events like this supporting you, this is no exception."

"Come back inside Lexi."

"No, it's your night you go and I really wouldn't want to be a third wheel."

"There is nothing going on between Lindsay and I, I keep telling you that."

"Does she know that?"

"Of course she does, she is just a colleague."

"Be that as it may it doesn't negate the fact that she has always been in the shadow waiting for her chance and you've just made it a hell of a lot easier for her."

"You're overreacting Claire, she offered to fill the seat. I honestly didn't think you'd make it, she made a valid point that after all that happened you probably your hands full. The trial and work..."

"Wait a minute, you've been discussing me with her?"

"She's following the news like everyone else Claire."

"That's not what I asked. I asked do you talk about me, us with her?" His silence was all the answer I needed. "You know she's right I do have my hands full and if all this works in my favour a lot will change. Maybe it's good this happens now rather than later.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about this, us coming to an end."

"Lexi I promise nothing is going on between..." He tried to step closer but I moved away.

"It's not only her Nathaniel. I need to focus on the girls. They need to be my priority right now, you should get back inside." Thankfully the car pulled up to the curb then, "Good night Nate and congrats on your big night." The slamming of the car door cue the tears, as soon as I was sure he couldn't see me, I didn't look back to see if he was still standing there.

"Where to Miss?" My driver asked though I couldn't provide an answer. My apartment felt so empty without the girls, if I went back the manor my parents would ask questions I just wasn't ready to answer.

"To the family crypt." It was a bit late and I was severely overdressed for visiting a graveyard but it was the only place I could think of and I haven't gone there since the day of Michelle memorial. I needed advice and even though she was gone, I felt that she was still watching over us and just maybe if I listened close enough I might just hear her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
437K 28.5K 40
Logan and his bandmates had just finished with their concert and were on their way to the next location when they were in a horrible accident. Logan'...
23 1 6
Natalie Nobles is stuck. She thought she'd be settled in life with a career she loved by the time she turned 34. Instead, she was back in college, li...