The Dying Rose (Completed)

By theisabelday

Once there lived a girl, who lived in Thanona, a little provential village. Her mother was dead, her father w... More

Chapter 1: A Rat and A Mouse
Chapter 2: A Little Incident
Chapter 3: A Trip to Town
Chapter 4: A Marriage Proposal
Chapter 5: A Trapped Animal
Chapter 6: Found, Then Lost
Chapter 7: Inside the Castle
Chapter 8: His Prisoner, His Guest
Chapter 10: The Library
Chapter 11: The Beast's Tale
Chapter 12: A Lost Prince Found
Chapter 13: Mirror Mirror
Chapter 14: Woodland Walk
Chapter 15: Stargazing
Chapter 16: An Unexpected Gift
Chapter 17: Time Flies When You're Being Frentic
Chapter 18: Waterfalls and Nightmares
Chapter 19: Snowballs
Chapter 20: Taken Care Of
Chapter 21: We Have a Problem
Chapter 22: Wake Up
Chapter 23: The Curse Revealed
Chapter 24: Dead Girl Walking
Chapter 25: Well Aren't We Having a Brawl?
Chapter 26: Campfire Tales
Chapter 27: Of Princesses and Guards
Chapter 28: I Love Him
Chapter 29: A Friend In The Darkness
Chapter 30: Stormy Weather
Chapter 31: Just A Kiss
Chapter 32: Earthshaking
Chapter 33: Reason to Hope
Chapter 34: Jealous Of The Moon
Chapter 35:Love Is A Foreign Tongue
Chapter 36: The Dying Rose
Chapter 37: The Rose Reborn
Chapter 38: Bloom
Addendum
Fan Updates:

Chapter 9: Ring A'round the Roses

14.6K 562 73
By theisabelday

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of someone banging on the door. I sat straight up in the bed, momentarily forgetting everything that had happened in the last two days. It only took a beat of my heart for it to all come rushing back. Apprehension now tensing every muscle in my body, I called out, "Who is it?"

"Miss? It's Simone; I've come to help you get dressed for breakfast," called her posh voice through the door.

I stood up and wrapped my robe around myself before venturing to unlock the door and let her in.

"I'm glad to see that the nightclothes fit you so well. I knew they would, and I'm never wrong about clothes." The door pushed itself shut, and the door to the armoire floated open.

"I must apologize, but all the dresses I have are rather full. I'll have to design you a few new dresses that are more comfortable, but for now, this is the best I have, miss."

The dress was huge, and looked like something that would have been worn by a royal lady to a fancy luncheon or some court banquet. I felt very out of place just looking at it. It was huge, with a full skirt that must have had enough crinoline underneath it to cloth an army. White lace hugged the sweetheart neckline, and the sleeves were sewn on almost as an afterthought; they had been attached simply at either shoulder, forming a box type shape. The bodice was smooth and slim fitting, while the skirt was pressed into folds. It was a silk thats color wasn't quite lavender, but wasn't quite ice blue, either. The ends of the sleeve, and where the bodice and skirt joined were trimmed in the same white lace. It was beautiful.

"Oh Simone, it is lovely. I don't mind if it's a little uncomfortable," I said.

She chuckled. "Here, Miss Belle, if I can call you that?" she asked, helping me out of the nightgown.

It was strange for me to be undressed in front of a strange woman, whom I couldn't see, but it was even stranger to have someone helping me to get dressed. I was used to taking care of myself. It was strange to have people who seemed to be concerned with nothing but my happiness.

"Simone, you can call me Belle."

She gasped. "Oh, but Miss, that's not proper."

She gripped my hand and helped me step into the dress, and pulled it up over my body. It fit well, almost as though it had been made for me. However, its previous owner hadn't been quite as busty as me. As Simone laced up the ribbon on the back of the dress, my chest pressed flatter, and I gasped. She spun me around.

"Oh, goodness! Let's loosen those ribbons a bit; you're all cleavage!"

I blushed from the tips of my ears on down. I had always been buxom, and I was very conscious of it.

After I my clothes were adjusted, my hair was brushed gently. Simone wanted to fix it up, but I asked her to instead just pull it into a low ponytail, which was how I always wore my hair.

She put it in a ponytail, but kept making suggestions for different styles.

"But Miss Belle, you should show off your hair; it flatters you greatly," she said, with a tone that seemed rather mischievous

"I appreciate it, Simone. But, I'm more comfortable with my hair as it is."

She didn't say anything, and in a moment, the door floated open. "You'll either have to wear the slippers you wore here last night, or go barefoot Miss Belle. We don't have any shoes that are small enough for your feet."

***

I found myself walking down the stairway in my ruined slippers from yesterday. The sun was good and up, and I'm sure that by now Henri knew I wasn't coming to marry him. And that thought alone made being trapped in a castle quite bearable.

I found my way to the dining room, and sat down to wait for the Beast. And I waited, and I waited. Finally, just as my stomach began to growl with hunger, he came sweeping into the room.

His enormous bulk was clothed in another of those enormous white shirts, and a pair of pants that were ripped at the knee and even more tattered than the pair from last night. He had a great cloak wrapped around him, as if it would hide his form.

"Good morning, Belle. I trust you had a restful evening?" he asked, playing the part of the courteous gentleman.

I nodded once, curtly.

"You look lovely this morning. I trust that my servants were helpful?"

I nodded again.

He sighed. "Is there anything I could do to make you happier here Belle?"

I shook my head.

He closed his eyes in obvious frustration at my silence. "Would you like something to eat?" he asked, his tone rising a little.

Good, I am getting under his skin.

I nodded.

"THEA!" he screeched, so loudly, and with such temper that it shook the glasses on the table.

A cart with two bowls of hot porridge on it rolled into the room. No one spoke, and if Thea was pushing it, she didn't make her presence known. Beast picked one up, and slid it down the table to me. He took his own, and, tilting his head back, poured the steaming mess down his throat in one gulp. He licked his lips noisily, and suddenly, I was frightened.

Why was I intentionally trying to make a monster that could eat me in one bite angry?

Eating my porridge slowly, I tried to think of a conversation I could have with the Beast.

"Is there anything I can do here in the castle?" I asked quietly.

The Beast's eyes widened, and then, with a devilish grin, he shook his head no.

"Are there any chores I could help do?"

Again, he shook his head.

"Any animals that could be tended to?" my voice wavered a little, my hope falling away.

A third shake of his head.

My whole life I had wanted to leave a world that was too small, and find a bigger one. Now it seemed I had left that tiny world behind, and this one was to be even smaller.

"Then, can I make one request?"

He nodded.

I understood now why he had yelled. It was frustrating to talk to someone who wouldn't talk back. I sighed.

"When I came to the castle, I noticed that in front of the statue of the woman with the pitcher, there are wild roses blooming. Could I clip a few to put in a vase in my room, just to lighten things up a little?"

I immediately knew I'd asked the wrong question. The Beast began to shake all over with rage. The door behind him flew open, and in scampered another servant. Although he too was invisible, his pocket watch chain jingled.

"Master, please calm down. I'm sure the young lady meant no harm," he said calmingly, before the watch swung towards me with a rather bitter, "Did you?"

I shook my head quickly, panic and terror surging. I had somehow upset him in asking for roses, and he was going to kill me now.

"See, Master? It's all just a little misunderstanding."

"I-I didn't mean to offend you. I just thought they'd look pretty in my room," I stammered apologetically.

The Beast's eyes widened and his lip curled up in disgust, showing the fangs that would be my last sight.

"You may NOT have roses for your room, no matter how pretty they may be," he sneered, putting a very distinct emphasis on the world 'pretty'. "I am very protective of my roses, and I will not have them killed to please some silly little girl. Now, you are dismissed. Montrell, show the lady to her room, and lock her in. I won't have her exploring the castle without a guide." He rose, and swept out of the room.

"Come, lady," said the voice that had come to my apparent rescue. My chair slid back, and I found myself being led back into my room.

Once I was inside, Montrell said in a sad voice, "I apologize for this lady. Before I leave, is there anything I can get you: yarn to knit, or a book from the library, perhaps?"

My despair faded a little, and a small smile found its way to my lips. "There's a library?"

"Yes, Miss, there is. I presume you would like a book?"

I was so happy I would have hugged Montrell if I could have seen him. "Oh yes, please. That's all I wanted, was something I could do, something to keep me from going crazy in this castle... Although sometimes I wonder if I'm not already crazy."

Montrell chuckled. "A rational response to hearing invisible people talk, Miss. Is there anything in particular you'd like?"

"Please, call me Belle. And something with a grand adventure," I said with a small smile.

He nodded, before shutting and locking the door from the outside. I sat impatiently on my bed until I heard a key rattle in the lock again. Now, not only was there a floating keychain, but a book as well.

"Here you are, Belle. I hope you enjoy it and have a peaceful night. If you need anything simple pull that chord hanging beside the bed. It rings a bell in the kitchen, and someone will come right up."

The door shut, and locked again.

***

I spent the whole day reading the book Montrell had brought me. I only had to ring the bell once, for water, as Thea came to check on me roughly every hour. By that night, I was nearing the story's end, and when I finished it, I slid underneath my covers, and into bed.

My thoughts were full of envy of the heroine of my story. I want to be a horse mistress, traveling the country, selling my fine horses, and having all sorts of adventures against marauders. I want to rescue a handsome young man from their evil clutches, and fall in love with him. And when it turns out he's a prince, we'll be married, and I will be a princess. I don't want to spend my life in some dusty, dilapidated castle with a monster, rotting away.

I sank down under the covers and cried myself to sleep. At least, until a sudden sharp scream split the air.

What in the world? I thought groggily.

My ears were greeted with silence, and, as it remained, I drifted back into happy dreams of handsome princes on horses. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 702 25
Carmen had always found her life as a daughter of an antique shop owner to be ordinary and adventure-less. Almost all of the members in her town thin...
784K 44.7K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
122K 11.1K 60
A Beast stalks the night... but Beauty hunts him. A reimagining of the story you thought you knew. Rell grew up hearing stories of the Human Realm, a...
6.4K 216 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...