Invisible

By Dizzo1

An Academy Fanfiction Twenty years ago Max knocked down Sang and Kayli was caught picking pockets at the mall... More

What you need to know
Chapter 1: Unseen
Chapter 2: Rebel
Chapter 3: A new partner
Chapter 4: Like Father, Like Son
Chapter 5: Notes
Chapter 6: Deja Vu
Chapter 8: Heart to Heart
Chapter 9: How to Spend a Saturday
Chapter 10: Hellion & Demons
Chapter 11 Unexpected
Chapter 12: Zombies and Sleepovers
Chapter 13: ~A~
Chapter 14: First Date
Chapter 15: When it Rains, It Pours
Chapter 16: Worlds Collide
Special Update: Sasha and Miles
Chapter 17: Confrontations
Chapter 18: Scenes from a hat
Chapter 19: The New Girl
Chapter 20: Say What?
Chapter 21: Homecoming

Chapter 7: Just Apologize

3.6K 266 29
By Dizzo1

~Lacey~

I knew there were tears running down my face as Blaze sped off but I couldn't seem to stop them. I watched until I couldn't see the bike anymore, hoping maybe he would turn around and come back, tell me everything was okay but he never did. I was hurt and confused by the abrupt turn in his behavior. What had I done? How had I messed things up already?  My shoulders slumped and I sighed heavily as I picked up my backpack and turned to the house. As I headed up the drive, I wrapped my arms around myself, my arm brushing the cold metal of a zipper, making me realize I still wore Blaze's leather jacket. It was probably silly but I rubbed my cheek against the leather, inhaling Blaze's spicy, musky scent. There was something comforting about being wrapped up in his jacket that helped dry my tears. 

Not wanting to attract attention, not that it was likely, I went around the side of the large, two story, red brick house to the kitchen door. I wiped my face, just in case, and slipped in the door. No one was in the kitchen.  Looking around at the spotless kitchen, I saw the time on the stove. Dinner had come and gone and it looked like no one had even noticed I wasn't there. They certainly hadn't left a plate in the warmer for me. I looked. No leftovers in the fridge. Gee, thanks family. It didn't matter. I wasn't hungry. There was no way I could eat right now anyway. I peeked in the tv room on my way upstairs. Mom was cuddled up with Uncle Axel and Uncle Raven. Dad was cuddled up with Uncle Marc. Sasha was asleep in Uncle Brandon's lap. Wesley was sprawled on the floor with a book. Galen was leaning against the couch with Dad and Marc. Sometimes I wondered about Galen. Lately he seemed to spend a lot more time around Dad and Marc but only if they were only alone or together, he tended to avoid them if they were with mom. Yep. Sure seemed like they were missing me. I headed up the stairs, spotting Micah and Isaiah in the back tossing a football around when I looked through the large window at the top of the stairs. As I passed by Katerina's room I heard giggling, which meant she was on the phone, most likely with a boy.

I tossed my bag next to my desk and laid down on my metallic silver comforter, my mind still on Blaze's weird turn around. It didn't make any sense once I thought about it with a calmer mind. He had been so sweet just seconds before. That was the confusing part. He had been so concerned, so worried about what had nearly happened. It had been terribly sweet and a tiny part of me was willing to admit it had been a bit romantic how scared he'd been, almost like a boyfriend afraid he had nearly lost the girl he loved. Maybe it was weird to think that about a guy like him but I didn't care. It wasn't like anyone would know I thought it. I mean a guy like him, with his reputation had been.....Wait. I sat up in bed as the truth barreled into my mind.

 Oh. My. God. 

That was it. He was embarrassed by his behavior! He was actually worried about what I thought of him! Me!  I smiled, feeling better about things now that I had figured it out. I hadn't done anything wrong, or at least I didn't think I had. He was embarrassed about how his fear had made him react. Warmth and happiness burst in me and I wrapped Blaze's jacket around me tight, giddy with relief as I lay back down. Maybe my family hadn't noticed I was gone. Maybe I was still invisible to them. But maybe, for the first time, someone was noticing me.

~Blaze~

I slipped behind the workout shed, leaning against it to hide in the shadows of the trees.Yes, I admit, I was sulking. I had been a total idiot in front of Lacey at the North Shore and then a complete ass afterwards. I would be lucky if she ever talked to me again outside chemistry. Way to blow it, Jerkoff! I kicked the shed, a loud thud echoing through the yard, before reaching into my pocket for my smokes. If I didn't calm the fuck down I was likely to pick a fight with Scott. The rustle of leaves had me shoving the pack back in my pocket quickly. Mal came around the corner of the shed, a knowing smirk on her face.

"What the fuck do you want Malory?" I ground the words out between gritted teeth. I wasn't in the mood for a round of I'm-the-eldest. She looked at me calmly, held out a hand.

"For starters, you can give me a smoke and then we can talk." No. This had to be a trick. No way in fucking hell Malory, the good little girl of dad Kota, smoked.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Playing dumb usually  doesn't work but I wasn't about to admit I had smokes. She was just trying to get me in trouble. Right? I gave her a wary look. Mal and Scott looked just like Dad Kota. Same rich brown hair, same emerald green eyes. Shit they even wore the same black rimmed glasses. Mal's hair was cut in a short bob that swung around her chin. This was not the image of a rebel. She waggled her fingers and rolled her eyes.

"Come on, I saw you buy the pack off Mitch at lunch, hand one over for christ's sake. I'm dying here." O-kay. I shrugged, pulled the pack out and shook out two, handing one to Mal. When I took out my lighter, Mal snatched it, lighting her cig and taking a deep drag. She handed it back, inhaling and leaning against the shed next to me, the expression on her face one of pure relief. I lit mine, mind totally blown at this point. Malory, the good girl, one of the superior twins, was sneaking a smoke with me. When exactly had hell frozen over? My disbelief must have shown cause Mal grinned.

"There's a lot you don't know about me, Scott doesn't either for that matter. Much as I love my twin, there are things I don't tell him." I couldn't respond, seriously she had stolen my ability to talk. She sighed. "Look, I know Scott comes across as a total ass sometimes but he means well." I laughed. Yeah, right, and I'm the Tooth Fairy.  "I'm serious Blaze." She took another deep drag, "As the eldest he feels like he has to live up to Dad. Be the kind of guy Dad was at our age. The kind of guy that was an Academy team lead."There was a mild mocking tone in her voice but it was paired with a heavy dose of pride. It was a weird combonation that made me think about what she was really saying. I guess that made sense, in an idiotic way.

I flicked some ash and thought for a minute before replying,"Doesn't excuse his behavior Mal, cause he is a long way from Dad." She grimaced and nodded, surprising me with her agreement.  She always sided with Scott. Didn't she? I thought about it for a second then realized that she usually didn't say anything when Scott started in on one of us. It wasn't the same as siding with him.

"You're right on both counts, Blaze. Sometimes I wish Dad had let us join the Academy. Maybe Scott would understand then." Somehow I didn't think so but I didn't say it. Actually, I'm pretty sure he would have had serious issues in the Academy.

"Yeah, maybe you two wanted to go, but I don't think the academy and I would agree with each other. Although he's gonna have a fight if he thinks he can keep Avery and Eleanor out." Those two were way to smart for regular school. They needed a place like the Academy.

Mal laughed, "Yeah, aren't they both taking high school courses?"

I shook my head, "Avery is, I think the midget is still in 6th grade courses." I glanced at Mal, more relaxed now. She ground out her smoke on the shed. "Mal, what is this about, really?" Mal had never sought me out like this before and I had to wonder why.

"Look, I'm not trying to excuse his actions and I'm not trying to get you to go easy on him. I just thought you should know. He really does care about you, even if he doesn't show it well." I ground out my cig, stripping it and tucking it in my pocket for later disposal. I wasn't sure I wanted to ponder Mal's words just now. My head was a little full of the guilt trip it was on. Mal ground out her cig and handed me her butt. "Thanks, I needed that. Now enough about Scott the dick. Let's talk about the little mouse hiding behind you at school today, the one who has you sulking back here and kicking innocent sheds. And before you pull some macho, male, tough guy bullshit, remember I am a girl. I might have important insight."The glare she shot me was full of righteous, female indignation.  I didn't want to tell her but I couldn't seem to get my head on straight around Lacey and I needed to talk to someone before I drove myself insane. I spilled it all, everything that had happened so far, face flaming the whole time.

Mal almost laugh once but it died when she looked at me, her expression going serious. "God, Blaze, you are seriously gone on this girl, aren't you?" Her voice was soft, shocked and awed. I shrugged, not wanting to admit to even myself how quickly my feelings were developing. Mal just shook her head. "Well either way you're a moron. Do you think she cares about your little freak out? I bet she thought it was sweet, maybe even romantic and you're blowing it right now by sulking and acting like a jerk. Get your ass in the house, call the girl and fucking apologize for being a total dick before she really gives up on you."

I looked at the ground, unable to meet her eyes, "Really? It's that easy? Just apologize?" It couldn't be that simple but Mal nodded.

"Yeah, stupid, it is but it won't be if you don't go do it. And I can't promise there won't be consequences either. Depends on your girl." Mal turned, heading back to the house. She looked back at me before she rounded the corner of the shed, "And Blaze, ask for advice when you need it, before you fuck up with this girl, cause you hurt her and I'll kick your ass." She gave me a little wave and took off. I leaned back, thinking about what she had said. Just apologize. God, I hoped it was that easy. Who knew Mal would turn out to be okay.

I headed inside and upstairs to where I had left my phone. I really hoped Mal was right cause I didn't know how else to fix this if she wasn't.

~Lacey~

After my homework, I took a bath. I needed to wind down from the emotional roller coaster today had been and I needed to figure out how to handle my grumpy chem partner tomorrow. Currently I was laying down in bed, wrapped up in Blaze's jacket again. Something about his jacket just made me feel safe. I have to admit I was kind of daydreaming. I mean really, could you blame me? Blaze was seriously hot and he kept paying attention to me! I was so lost in my daydream I almost didn't hear my phone go off.

My heart was pounding as I snatched my phone off my nightstand. Maybe it was foolish to hope it was Blaze but I couldn't help it. I know he's probably just being nice to me because he's my Chem partner but there was a tiny voice inside that whispered that wasn't true. I thumbed open my phone and found a text from Blaze. My heart jumped into my throat.

Blaze: Sorry for being a total dick earlier.

I smiled. I wonder who had talked to him. Maybe his sister I had noticed earlier or Miles? I grinned wider at the thought of Miles, he was the one Sasha kept flirting with. I wonder if I should tell Blaze about it. My phone went off again.

Blaze: I understand if you dont want to talk to me. I really am sorry.

I stared at the text. Oh shit. He thought I was mad at him. My fingers flew over the phone, starting a reply before stopping. Shit. I couldn't tell him I was daydreaming about him!

Lacey: Sorry, I was distracted. NBD Blaze.

Blaze: Very Big Deal, Lacey! I hurt you. I oughta be flogged!

Lacey: Lol. Do you even know what flogging is?

Blaze: Yes!

Lacey: I bet you're pouting right now. That text had pouting written all over it. I also bet your googling flogging.

Blaze: I am not!

Lacey: lol. you totally are.

Blaze: So, does this mean we're okay? You still like me?

Lacey: Yes, Blaze, I still like you. See you tomorrow.

Blaze: I'll pick you up in the a.m. Night. Sweet dreams, Doll.

I grinned at the gentle teasing in our conversation. I wouldn't say anything to him, wouldn't even admit it out loud, but as I slipped out of Blaze's jacket and carefully hung it over my desk chair I could admit to myself that I was developing a very big crush on my Chem partner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 437 27
[Complete] Never in the history of Pern has a disabled person been Searched, yet that is exactly what happens to Missa. Legs useless since she was s...
6.7K 499 7
Kota Lee was the right person at the wrong time. Sang Sorenson wishes that their story had ended differently, but their bridges have been burned and...
1M 55K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
4.4K 151 24
A 15 year girl that has nobody no friends no family. Her name is Ava, she has no last name because her 'dad' said he didnt want a 'disappointment' to...