Candied Apples

By snowkind

Prince Gumball's Biennial Gumball Ball is coming around the corner and the Prince has invited Fionna to be hi... More

Author's Note: Introduction
☆ Chapter 1: A Royal Invitation ☆
☆ Chapter 2: Cookies with the King ☆
☆ Chapter 3: I Know ☆
☆ Chapter 4: Apology Cookies ☆
☆ Chapter 6: Human ☆
☆ Chapter 7: Pancakes ☆
☆ Chapter 8: I Will Save You ☆
☆ Chapter 9: Jealousy ☆
☆ Chapter 10: Looking After Him ☆
☆ Chapter 11: Love is Dead ☆
☆Chapter 12: Candied Apples☆
☆ Chapter 13: Tango (Marshall Lee Ending) ☆
☆ Chapter 14: Waltz (Prince Gumball Ending) ☆
Author's Note: Conclusion
☆ Chapter 15: Foxtrot (Special Ending) ☆

☆ Chapter 5: Adventure Time! ☆

347 13 1
By snowkind

     "Bored..."

Fionna groaned quietly and rolled onto her stomach. 

     "Boreeeeeeeed..."

She sighed again and traced the lines on the ground with the tip of her finger.

     "Boooooooor-"

She turned rigid when she felt something touch her butt. She propped herself up and quickly looked behind her, only to find Marshall sitting on top of her. She blinked and pressed her lips together, her eyebrows knitting together into a confused expression. It had been three days since Marshall had delivered her the cookies, and ever since then the two of them didn't have any other interaction whatsoever. 

She watched him silently for a moment as he continued to nonchalantly read his book before finally parting her lips to speak. 

     "Marshall, what are you doing?"

     "Um... reading a book."

     "On... my butt?"

     "OH! Is it not a cushion?" The male floated off of her and grinned. 

Fionna felt her cheeks heat up when he got off of her, freeing her to turn back around so she could sit properly. 

     "Hey!"

He chuckled lightly and tossed the book over his shoulder. 

     "So, are you still bored?"

Her face lit up at his question and she placed her hand on her chin.

     "Oh, uh. No."

Marshall grinned.

     "Okay. See you next time!"

Fionna watched the vampire float away with a shocked expression. What was all that about?

     "... Ma-Marshall?" She called out to him before he could completely float away and leave her.

     "I'm listening." Marshall replied with a sing-song voice, slightly turning his head to face the girl. 

     "Maybe... I'm still bored." She murmured softly, averting her eyes away from him. 

     "What?" 

She watched Marshall turn around so he was facing her, a smirk plastered to his face. 

     "..." 

Fionna frowned and grit her teeth. Ugh, he was making her ask for him. This was annoying... but it wasn't like she had anything else to do...

     "Play with me." She puffed her cheeks out and crossed her arms across her chest. 

Marshall replied with a chuckle and helped the girl to her feet.

     "Where's Cake?"

     "Cake went to visit Lord Monochromicorn. I guess she couldn't wait until the ball?" Fionna laughed nervously as she pulled herself off the ground. Promptly letting go of his hand, she wiped her palm against her skirt and gently gnawed on her lower lip.

     "Shall we go on an adventure then?" Marshall suggested, raising an eyebrow at the girl's antsy looking expression.

     "Just... the two of us?" Fionna replied slowly, thinking over the bad possibilities that could happen if she did choose to accept his offer. 

     "Heh, unless you wanted to invite someone else." Marshall smirked and slightly tilted his head to the side.

     "Do you have someone in mind?" He continued, pulling a cap out of his pocket before situating it onto his head.

     "N...No. Not really."

     "Alright! So we can go then, right?" Marshall asked innocently while suddenly pulling the female into his arms. 

     "W-Wait! What are you doing?" Fionna spun the question out of her mouth the moment she felt the vampire's arm wrap around her waist.

     "Going on an adventure, duh." Marshall replied sarcastically and chuckled before rising off the floor and out treehouse's window. 

     "Why do you have to be carrying me then?" Fionna squeezed her eyes tight for a moment while an all too familiar warmth began to creep along her face. 

     "We could walk if you really wanted to, but I thought flying there would be easier." He replied blandly. 

    "Flying where?" She opened her eyes and cautiously looked down, only to find the two of them at least fifty feet up in the air. 

     "Anywhere that looks interesting. Like... that forest!"

In a short period of time, Marshall descended downwards and let Fionna back onto her two feet. And just like that, the two friends were off on their adventure. 

     "The Forest of Trees, huh?" Fionna huffed, patting her cheeks a bit in an attempt to get rid of the warmth that had made itself comfortable on her face.

After a few seconds of recomposing herself, Fionna took the lead and began to follow the beaten down, dirt path into the thicket of trees.

     "..."

     "..."

     "..."

     "..."

     "Hey, Marshall?" "Hey, Fionna?"

At once, the two had broken the awkward silence by making it even more awkward. Amazing. 

     "Oh, uh. You go first." Fionna quickly murmured.

     "No no, what was it you wanted to say?"

     "About the other day..." She stopped in her tracks.

Marshall watched the girl intently when she turned around to face him. He could feel the corners of his mouth gradually pull upwards as she fidgeted for a few seconds. 

     "I know what you're going to say, Fionna, so let's just get this over with." Marshall interjected before the girl could finish what she was saying. 

In one fluid motion, Marshall had brought Fionna back into his arms once more. 

     "There's been something I've been meaning to ask you..." He whispered into her ear and tightened his grip around her body.

     "Do yo-"

In a sudden puff of smoke, another individual popped out of the nearby bushes.

     "It is I, the Magic Woman! ZAP!"

An abrupt and loud flash of light filled the dimmed forest, causing both Fionna and Marshall to fall backwards in utter shock. 

     "You biscuits look like you're having fun! So... Enjoy my mystical, magical favor! Just remember that love is always dead! Wazoooooooo!" The booming and lyrical sounding voice of the Magic Woman mixed into the light and smoke before disappearing altogether within a matter of a few seconds. 

Fionna coughed and picked herself up from the dirt, waving her arms around in an attempt to rid of the smoke. 

     "Marshall?" She cried out frantically. 

Fionna looked down at her body and patted herself down, checking for any sort of abnormalities. She never knew what the Magic Woman could have done to her, so it was important that she first made sure if there was anything wrong with her. 

After failure to find anything out of the ordinary, which proved both confusing yet relieving to the girl, she shouted her friend's name once more. 

     "O-Over... here, Fionna." 

She spun around on her heels and peered into the thinning smoke. Spotting a body sprawled onto the ground just a few feet away from her, Fionna lunged towards the figure and fell to her knees.

     "Marshall! Are you okay?!" She picked up the male's upper body and rested it on her lap, nervous eyes flickering back and forth from his pale looking face to the rest of his body. 

     "Urghhh..." He groaned and turned to his side so he was now facing the girl.

     "Marshall!!" Fionna, in the midst of panic and fear, placed her hand on his forehead to see if his temperature had risen. 

Yikes. His skin was burning.

Then she moved her hand down to his neck and checked to see if there was any sign of a pulse. Though it was weak, she could feel one. 

Letting out a shaky sigh of relief, Fionna gripped hold of one of Marshall's hand. Good, he was still alive. 

Wait. 

Alive

Pulse??

His skin was emanating heat??!??!!?

Fionna widened her eyes and looked down at the boy in her lap to confirm everything. 

Oh Glob, it was true.

Marshall had turned human

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 5.4K 30
Yin and Yang. Twii and Laa. Push and Pull. Prince Gumball and Marshall Lee. Prince Gumball has always respected everyone, and always plays by the ru...
9.4K 138 21
Fionna the Human has always been that good girl, and Marshall Lee Abadeer has always been her opposite. But even so, they're best buddies. Or so Fion...
5.4K 178 10
Fionna is stuck in the tree house until the rain stops. She started wishing Prince Gumball, or at least someone, was there but to her luck, someone w...
45.3K 1.7K 50
[unedited version] fionna, a newly turned 17 year old, gets her heart broken for the very first time. while trying to get her mind off the matter, sh...