Under The Skin

By AmberLeeH13

Poppy and Cassidy are the youngest sisters of the Alpha female of their pack. She's taken care of them, loved... More

P r o l o g u e >
C h a p t e r O n e
C h a p t e r T h r e e
C h a p t e r F o u r
C h a p t e r F i v e
C h a p t e r S i x
C h a p t e r S e v e n
C h a p t e r E i g h t
C h a p t e r N i n e
C h a p t e r T e n
C h a p t e r E l e v e n
C h a p t e r T w e l v e
C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n
C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n
C h a p t e r F i f t e e n
C h a p t e r S i x t e e n
C h a p t e r S e v e n t e e n
C h a p t e r E i g h t e e n
C h a p t e r N i n e t e e n
C h a p t e r T w e n t y
C h a p t e r T w e n t y O n e

C h a p t e r T w o

30.6K 1.8K 377
By AmberLeeH13

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Soft Shock" By Yeah Yeah Yeahs

C h a p t e r T w o >

The cool breeze blows on Cassidy's face as she leans her head on the rolled down passenger side window. She inhales the familiar scents of the landscape and feels an aching familiarity settle in her chest as she watches the trees pass by her view. She wonders how much everyone has changed in the four months since her last visit. The reasons for that brief return having been her niece Zoe's second birthday.

Everyone had been there and Cassidy had had fun being around her family again. Mackenzie and Jace have been married for a few years after been engaged for nearly a decade. Mackenzie isn't the waif she was when she first came into their family, Cassidy thinks. Instead she's turned into a respected member of the pack having become Colton's Gamma and taken charge over the training. They often come over on Fridays to visit or sometimes Mackenzie stops by randomly to take Cassidy shopping.

Cleo and Andy are married as well, having gotten hitched soon after Cleo's eighteenth birthday but waiting until just a few years ago to have their first baby, a little girl named Zoe. Cassidy doesn't seem them as often as she's like but Zoe often calls Cassidy 'Dee Dee' when she does see her. It always makes Cassidy happy to know she hasn't been forgotten, at least not by the adorable toddler.

Rae and Colton have been the ones Cassidy sees the least other than Poppy. With Colton and Rae taking over the pack after winning the challenge against Dalton, Cassidy knows they've been busy. With the addition of their six year old daughter Selah and one year old son Max, Cassidy isn't upset with their absence. It's one of the few reasons she's excited about this move back. She gets to be close to her big sisters again and all the extended family that'll come with it.

"Are you excited?"

Cassidy looks over her shoulder at Hudson and smiles with a nod. Hudson's is nearly six feet tall now and he has his hair in one of those man buns that drive Cassidy nuts. She's been threatening to cut it off while he sleeps but he hasn't listened. Joseph isn't much help either with it. He even told her that he liked the man bun! Cassidy scoffs and looks back out the window. She'll never see the appeal.

"Stop frowning," Hudson scolds her lightly, "You'll get wrinkles."

"I hope I do. It'll add character just like they've added to yours."

Hudson frowns at her and Cassidy just grins. Hudson is the same thoughtful guy he's always been but since he's on the other side of twenty five he's become obsessed with his age. He thinks that once he hits thirty his face will waste away like Dorian Gray in the portrait.

Hudson and Joseph ended up moving back to the family home and had taken over fixing it up about five years ago. Cassidy has seen a lot of them over the last few years since they live so close to their Aunt Jolene and Hudson has become Cassidy's closest sibling. She often looks to him for advice or as a confidant. He was even the first one to buy her an art kit.

Cassidy flutters her eyelashes at him as she sings, "You shouldn't frown."

"Smart ass," He grumbles, now scowling.

"I prefer the term intellectually advanced posterior."

"She says while proving my point."

Cassidy moves closer to him and balances her chin on his shoulder while looking up at him, "Do you think Rae missed me?"

Hudson rolls his dark brown eyes, "Of course she missed you."

"What about Colton?"

"Yes."

"Cleo and Andy?"

Hudson sighs heavily, "Yes."

"Hmm..." Cassidy hums, "What about Jace and Mackenzie?"

"You saw them two days ago."

"That's a long time for some people."

"Okay, I have a question for you then."

Cassidy sits back and puts on her serious face, "I'm ready."

"Do you miss Poppy?"

Cassidy's face falls and she really tries to think about the answer to that. Does she miss Poppy? Of course she does. They were closer than close before Poppy's wolf came. They shared a room and talked about everything. They shared everything and Poppy was always there for Cassidy. The memory of Poppy's behavior from the few months before and the attack itself comes to mind but she swiftly pushes it away. That's over and done with, she thinks. No reason dwelling on things that have been apologized and forgiven for.

"Yes," Cassidy eventually answers, "I miss her. Do you think she misses me?"

"Hard to say," Hudson responds thoughtfully, "She's not one to share her feelings easily. Reminds me a bit of Rae like that but you'll work through it either way. Cleo and Rae used to hate each other and now they're like two peas in a pod."

Cassidy winces at her limited but vivid memories of that time, "I hope we're not that bad."

"I can tell you honestly that you're not. Cleo and Rae have gotten in full on, drag out fights before way worse than anything Poppy did to you."

"That's a relief," Cassidy says before frowning, "I think."

Hudson laughs and turns up the radio as they keep on driving. Cassidy can feel her nerves start to heighten the more familiar things start to look. Maybe she's not ready for this. The reminder that she'll be participating in the run this year isn't welcomed either. She's not overly excited about being chased around by horny man wolves like she's a runaway piece of steak. If anything she hopes she'll be able to find a good hiding spot. Maybe she can scout the woods out before had. She's just lucky that it's Rae's pack that'll be hosting this year. Hopefully it'll give her an advantage.

Shaking off the troubling thought Cassidy turns her attention back to Hudson to ask, "I didn't ask, will you miss me now that I won't be over all the time to irritate you?"

"Well..." He trails inclining his head in consideration, "We won't know the answer to that one until it happens. I'm sure Joseph will enjoy not having to wake up to the sound of you singing while attempting to cook."

"No..." Cassidy says with a smile, "He'll miss me. You'll all miss me. In fact I give it two days before you're begging for me to come back and make you runny eggs and burnt toast again."

Hudson's look is dry, "Now, that I doubt."

Cassidy runs her sweaty palms down the fabric of her knee length pink skirt and laughs unevenly, "Why am I so nervous?"

He reaches over grabs one of her hands in his reassuringly, "Because this isn't a visit. This is going to be your big return back to a place you associate with being unsafe. Once you see how everything works again and get settled you'll be fine."

Cassidy groans and lays her head back against her seat, "Must you go all Freud on me? That's it! I'm telling Joseph he is to bar you from your psychology course. So never again must we hear your completely right and intelligent notions of phobia origin."

"And I'm taking away your dictionary."

She grins at him, "You can try."

Another twenty minutes later the pack house comes into view and Cassidy's fidgeting becomes more intense. Hudson grabs her hand again and gives it another reassuring squeeze but her attention is already somewhere else. There is a group waiting outside for her but its Rae she spots first.

Rae's blonde hair cut into a pixie cut now while dressed in a pair of yoga pants and Sublime t-shirt with blonde baby max sitting propped on her hip. Colton is beside her, light brown facial scruff on his face and hair just a few inches shorter than Rae's. Selah is sitting on his shoulders waving with both hands with excitement as she sees the car rolling up. Cassidy waves back and Selah shows off a smile with plenty of missing teeth as her light brown hair starts to blow in the wind.

"She's so big now," Cassidy breathes, tears in her eyes.

Her eyes then move to Cleo and Cassidy feels her tears build even more when she sees Zoe in her arms. She didn't realize how much she'd missed them all until this moment. Cleo's hair is curled and brushes her waist in length but Zoe is pulling on it hard enough to make Cleo wince. Andy tries to get Zoe to stop pulling but the huge grin on his face tells her he's trying really hard not to laugh.

Cassidy smile though when she sees Mackenzie and starts waving frantically. Mackenzie waves back with a roll of her eyes. She's used to Cassidy's excitable personality. Mackenzie has recently been sporting a nose ring and the beginning of a pretty extensive tattoo collection. Cassidy wonders where Jace is when he suddenly comes running out of the pack house and almost tackles Mackenzie to the ground.

Jace is sporting a full grown beard and a slicked back undercut both in his normal auburn color. Mackenzie squeals loudly when Jace lifts her off the ground before he holds her close to him. Cassidy will always be thrilled at the sight. Out of all her siblings those two have had the hardest relationship but have overcome it to become one of the healthiest couples Cassidy knows.

"He really shouldn't be handling her like that." Hudson grumbles from beside her, momentarily getting her attention.

"Why?"

Hudson pulls to a stop a few feet away from the group and clear his throat, "She just looks a bit fragile is all."

Cassidy snorts, "She's never been fragile in her life!"

Hudson is about to speak when Cleo's voice calls out, "Cassidy Applebee get your butt out of that car so I can hug you!"

Hudson and Cassidy share a quick smile before she gets out of the car. Cassidy moves some of her hair out of her face and makes sure her skirt doesn't go flying before running towards them. Cleo passes Zoe to Andy before walking over with her arms open for Cassidy to step into. The women wrap their arms around each other tightly and Cassidy tries her best not to cry.

"You've gotten so tall!"

"You saw me a few months ago." Cassidy laughs as she leans back to wipe back an escaped tear.

Cleo brushes back some hair from her little sister's face, "Doesn't mean you haven't gotten taller."

"Are done hogging my baby sister or are you going to keep her much longer?" Rae calls from behind them.

"I'm keeping her!" Cleo yells back as she hugs Cassidy tighter to her.

Cassidy hugs her back briefly before moving away to run over Rae. Rae hugs her tightly and Cassidy hears her inhale her scent, memorizing it again. Cassidy is so used to the habit that she doesn't say anything about it. All shifters seem to do it and after while it becomes sort of comforting in a way.

"I hate to say it..." Rae trails, pulling back to examine her, "But she's is right. You have gotten taller."

Cassidy examines Rae closely before blurting, "You've gotten older."

Rae sighs and hugs her again briefly, "And you're the same as you've always been. It's good to have you back. Jessica has been preparing your room all day."

"Is she still here?"

"Nope. She was just stopping by to visit the kids and one thing lead to another and before I know it, she's cleaning your room. She's like some strange accidental maid."

Cassidy smiles widely and laughs, "I guess I'm not the only one who hasn't changed."

Rae hugs Cassidy one more time before whispering in her ear, "Say hello to Poppy before you head in. She's been a nervous wreck all morning."

Cassidy nods before pulling back and spotting Poppy over Rae's shoulder. Poppy is dressed in jeans, a tank top and a black zip up sweatshirt with the hood up over her long dark blonde hair. She's not looking at Cassidy at first but when she gets elbowed by the guy standing next to her, she looks up. Poppy's dark blue eyes widen a bit when they land on Cassidy before a small smile comes onto her face. Cassidy gives Poppy her own smile before starting to slowly walk over.

Briefly, Cassidy glances over at the guy next to Poppy and her step stumble a bit. He's one of the best looking guys she's ever seen. Messy blonde hair, almond shaped dark green eyes and fairly tanned skin. When his eyes start to widen when they meet hers Cassidy feels a blush come to her cheeks. Why is he looking at her like that? Does she have something on her face? Reaching up she wipes her sweaty palm on her cheek quickly just in case. Maybe he won't stare now, she thinks but that thought makes her a little depressed.

She's taken out of that thought when Poppy reaches out and puts her hands on Cassidy's shoulders and brings her to a stop. Cassidy looks up at her sister in surprise. How long has it been since Poppy's touched her? Years? Poppy searches Cassidy's face for something before suddenly bringing her into a hug. Cassidy quickly returns it and smiles a little when Poppy inhales her scent just like Rae does.

"It's good to have you back," Poppy whispers in her ear, "I missed you."

"I...I missed you too."

Poppy pulls back abruptly and straightens up before pushing the guy next to her off his balance, "This is Connor O'Shea. You remember him?"

Cassidy gives a fleeting glance in his direction before nodding quickly, "He's the guy who threw mud at me once. He used to pick on me all the time."

Connor's cheeks go pink and he struggles to come up with a defense before finally saying, "T-That was a long time ago and if I remember correctly you kicked me."

"Did I?" Cassidy asks before shrugging, "Well, as long as you know not to throw stuff at me again I guess I can't say I'm sorry."

"Jesus," She hears Connor mumble under his breath, "You're brutal."

"Uh, well, we were going to the movies in a little bit." Poppy says looking nervous and diverting attention from Connor, "Did you...I mean you don't have to but you can come with, if you want I mean."

Cassidy smiles shyly but shakes her head, "I have to unpack and stuff but next time I'll definitely come with."

"Okay," Poppy nods awkwardly, "Um, I'll see you later right? At dinner?"

"Yeah, I'll be there."

"Okay."

Poppy seems to be struggling for something more to say before she grabs Connor's hand in hers and starts dragging him away. He stumbles over his own feet but eventually follows after Poppy. Of course, Cassidy doesn't miss the strange looks he's giving her the entire way but she decides to brush them off. He probably just remembers her from when she was a kid and not as she is now. Even she can admit that it must be weird for people to see her as someone other than a child.

Once they're both out of view Cassidy relaxes and lets out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. Rae comes up besides her and throws an arm over Cassidy's slim shoulders before kissing her temple. She feels the warmth of her sister's affection and melts into the embrace a little. 

"Let's go get you settled, yeah?"

It's surreal of course being back in her room, as it is every time she stays here. The walls are still painted with scenes from Alice in Wonderland and her bed is the same twin size it's always been. There are still stuffed animals propped up on the window ceil and Cassidy smiles a little as she grabs her old white bunny plush. It bares the stains of the being a favorite plaything and lightly her fingers dance over the various discolorations in the fur. Staring out the window she sits on the edge of her bed and looks out at the woodland view outside with longing. Maybe after dinner she can go wander them like she used to.

"Dinner is at seven," Rae informs her from the doorway, "Unless you want to take a nap and settle in instead."

"No, that's okay." She assures her with a smile over her shoulder, "I'll come down. I already promised I would."

"Okay, I'll see you then."

Cassidy turns back around and focuses on her bunny again, "Sounds good."

"Oh and Cass?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad your home."

Cassidy smiles at her again, "Yeah, me too."

When Cassidy hears the soft click of the door she falls back against her bed and stares up at her ceiling. She makes a face though when she sees some boy band poster tacked to her ceiling. She should really take that down, she thinks to herself. Of course she thinks that every time she visits but always forgets before she has to leave again. Turning her head away from the view she sees a brown paper package propped up on her pillow and frowns.

Reaching over, Cassidy grabs it and unties the red yarn bow wrapped around it. It falls apart easily and once she sees what's inside Cassidy knows exactly who its from. Tears come to her eyes again as she pulls the framed picture from its wrappings and holds it up for a closer view. It's the picture of their mom, the one that caused the big fight between her and Poppy. Cassidy laughs as tears roll down her cheeks and she runs her fingers down the faded image of her mom's face.

"I'm home now, mom." She says softly, "I'm home."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So Cassidy is back home and we got a peek into what the family is doing and looks like now. I don't know if its what you imagined but it felt right to me so that's how it's gunna go. I know some of you are worried about if your going to be seeing the siblings regularly and yes, I will work them into the plot when I can. I love them characters just as much as you so of course I want to include them! 

Anyway, what did you think?

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW :}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

707 121 30
Parents killed, pack killed, lost in the wild forest running away and almost killed. Saved by an Alpha kid just a few years older than she is. She's...
15.2K 553 18
Vic is the youngest daughter of Alpha Peaches and is about to start her first year of werewolf camp, a camp where all werewolf kids aged 15 to 17 go...
82 6 6
Willow has had a hard life, she's done her best to survive on her own after her parents and pack are brutally murdered by a group of feral wolves. Sh...
66.1K 3.2K 12
Cover Art is New- By Onesee!! Oh, revenge is sweet. Until it isn't. Two people are given the space- and the chance- to heal. Is it easy? No. Is it po...