Teiko's basketball III: Three...

By BlackfeatherC

Teiko's basketball #3 The trio face their final year at Teiko middle school. They walk forward with their sig... More

Foreword
Who's who
The beginning
The new members
Elections
Akira's little admirer
First session
Satsuki's request
Three mysteries
Article
Colours of a rainbow
The black haired boys
The swap
Shock treatment
The challenge
Appraisals
Yukiji's quarter
Second half
Today's fortune
Sagittarius and Kuroh
The emperor and the cat
10 reasons why not to date a yandere
Cold metal
Traffic rules
Two blondes and a proposal
End of the day
Pep talk
Speech
Ghosts of the past
Video game: Day #1
Video game: Day #2
Video game: Day #3
Health awareness
Kise's masterpiece
Frogs and bees
New girl?
Three life lessons
Passion for sport
Responsibility
Reasons
Forfeit
Revisions
Crane thieves
Sides
Locked
Author's note: Christmas requests
Request: A.U: Mistletoe (for @lonelay) (ships)
Eat off
Mix-ups
Confusion
Preaching
The second quarter
A little time
Third quarter
Questions
Akashi Seijuro
The dance of the point guards
A confession
The twins
Injury
The vow
Epilouge
Acknowledgements and sequel!

Mayu's quarter

442 20 1
By BlackfeatherC

It was Mayu's quarter. The second quarter had a bit of a charged beginning. Both sides had now realized that winning this match did matter a lot. The tip-off began.

Number 7(sf) took the ball. He was blocked by Akira. He faked a drive and Akira reacted. He did a bounce pass to number 8(pf) who was waiting. He then bypassed Akira and received a pass from number 8(pf). He tried to pass to number 4(sg) but Aoba took the ball. She passed it to Mayu. Mayu rushed towards the hoop. She was blocked by number 15(c) and winced a bit when she caught sight of his hair again. Nonetheless, she took the shot.

28 – 20.

Number 8(pf) had the ball. He passed it to number 4(sg). Aoba tried to block him but number 7(sf) screened him and he took the shot.

28 – 23.

Akira had the ball. She passed it to Yukiji. Yukiji was double teamed by number 7(sf) and number 8(pf). Number 8(pf) took the ball. Number 8(pf) passed the ball to number 4(sg).

28 – 26.

"Uh oh," said Sora.

"What wrong, Sora-chan? It's just three shots..." said Akira.

"Oh, no, no," said Sora. "That's not what I'm worried about. It's that," she said, pointing. Number 4(sg) was saying something to number 7(sf) and number 15(c) who were vigorously shaking their heads. "What's that all about?" said Akira.

Yukiji got the ball. She was blocked by number 8(pf). She passed the block and gave the ball to Akira. Akira went forward and passed to Mayu. Mayu suddenly found herself double-teamed by number 7(sf) and number 15(c).

"What on earth?" said Mayu. She panicked slightly and ended up losing the ball to number 15(c).

28 – 28.

"What?" said Akira.

"That's number 4(sg) for you! Veterans do really count...." said Sora.

"And remind me why you are happy, Sora-chan?" said Akira.

"Because everything is according to my calculations."

"You knew they would pull this?" said Akira incredulously.

"What are you talking about?" said Sora impatiently. "This is what any rational human would do if they were in their situation."

"I'm a rational human being," said Akira.

Sora sighed. "Okay. I'll explain. We have only one person who can score. Cut off her ability completely and the worst case scenario for them is a stalemate. In other words they'd have completely frozen our ability to score."

"And what do we do?"

"Do what any rational human being would in this situation," said Sora with a laugh.

"I'm not sure whether Sora-chan is playing this match," said Akira to Yukiji who had come up.

"What do you mean? She's in the court, isn't she?" said Yukiji, confused.

"No! I mean playing with her heart," said Akira in an irritated tone.

"Oh. Sorry," said Yukiji. "I guess she'll start 'playing' if we ensure that we don't get beaten up even without her help. She told us that was the point, right? Learning to sync with all the other four players and not only the one or two that you are familiar with."

"That's sh*t!" said Akira but she looked slightly thoughtful.

Number 8(pf) got the ball. He passed it to number 4(sg). Aoba knocked it out of his hands and passed it to Sora. Sora passed it to Yukiji who in turn passed to Mayu. Number 7(sf) and number 15(c) stepped in. Mayu moved forward trying to shake them off but she was unsuccessful.

"Shoot. Now!"

Mayu heard a voice behind her and took the shot instinctively. A second later, someone bumped into her.

"Eh?" said Mayu.

"Sorry, I'm not used to screening," said Akira apologetically.

"Do have any idea how that hurts," muttered Mayu rubbing her elbow. Nevertheless, the ball had gone in.

30 – 28.

"Sora-chan, I need a truthful answer," said Akira grimly.

"Okay," said Sora innocently.

"And you won't hold anything back?" said Akira suspiciously.

"I will answer your question truthfully," said Sora gravely.

"So you are still determined to make us play on our own," groaned Akira.

"Whatever," said Yukiji. "Ask her whatever you wanted to quick. I think they might start any second."

"Will we be able to get through if we continue with our current tactics?" said Akira. Sora considered the question. "The basic plan is okay but you won't get through if you get repetitive."

"I see. Anything else?" said Akira.

"I think some crowding might happen under the hoop soon. In that case, I'd feel safer if someone was at a distance," she said, glancing at Aoba who nodded.

"Let's go. It's going to start," said Yukiji.

Sora's prediction turned out to be accurate. Number 7(sf) and number 15(c) continued to double-team Mayu. Akira supported her frequently. But again, both teams seemed to come under the conclusion that the ones under the hoop needed more support. So number 8(pf) soon joined the crowd followed by Yukiji. This lead to utter chaos, amusement, swearing and even a few accidental fouls and freethrows.

In the midst of all this, the second quarter came to an end with the score being; 37 – 35.

---------------------

"Nae, Sora-chan..." said Akira. They were on break before the third quarter began.

"Yes?"

"I want to be on the bench for the rest of this match."

"And why is that?" said Sora carefully.

"Well, since you're not keen on playing, I'm sure I want to play too."

"Is this some form of emotional blackmail?" said Sora thoughtfully.

"Nope. I'm not sure whether I can put out my all in there. So I'd rather be benched."

"You know, after two quarters this is getting a bit annoying. You can't ask everyone to give their all if you don't do so," said Yukiji.

"She's right," added Miyu who was handing out the bottles. "If the captain doesn't want to win, you can't blame the team."

"Sora-chan, we're playing together now. I don't understand what more you want," said Akira.

"I can now bear to be within a feet of Ms. Annoying," said Miyu coming to stand next to Akira. "You can't ask for more than that."

"Hey!" said Akira but grinned. "I like you too, Ma-chan."

"Shut up! And don't call me 'Ma-chan'"

"So all of you are saying that I don't want us to win this match..." said Sora.

"Yeah!" everyone chorused.

"Yukiji-san, Mayu-san, Akira-san and Aoba-san," said Sora ticking of the order with her fingers. "Can you see anything in the order?"

"Reverse alphabetical order?" said Yukiji doubtfully.

"No!" said Sora with a laugh. "But good one."

"Who knows what goes on in that retarded brain of yours...." said Akira.

"I don't think I can explain on short notice," said Sora. "They're going to start. But yeah, I've been holding back... Buck up, Akira-san. This is your quarter. I'll 'play'"

----------------

"Why are they scr*wing up?" demanded Aomine. The g.o.m were watching from the stands.

"I must admit. With Akiracchi, Mayucchi and Yukijicchi in, I'd thought it would be more of a match," said Kise scratching his head. "I wonder what's wrong. And Soracchi doesn't even look like she's playing!"

"They'll probably pick up," said Kuroko. "They're not people who'll give up."

"I don't believe that. Usually one can gauge the match from the first two quarters, nanodayo," said Midorima.

"Pass me the chips, Aka-chin," said Murasakibara who seemed to be unperturbed.

"Here," said Akashi.

"Why are you smiling, nanodayo?" said Midorima.

"Nothing. It's just that there's a diabolical streak in this that's not entirely unbecoming," said Akashi.

"Speak sense!" said Aomine.

"Chihiro, Kouchizuki, Tamotsu and the new girl. The order is too well thought out."

"I don't understand, nanodayo," said Midorima.

"She never intended for them to score in the first two quarters," said Akashi.

"But what's the use of letting the opponent get ahead-su!" said Kise.

"The whole point was to show them what the fear of losing is. But at the same time, actually losing would have the opposite effect," said Akashi. "So the first two quarters would have to be a sort of stale mate and in the next two, they'd have to leave their opponent in the dust. Only one person could shoot in each quarter, so what better way to achieve this than to have their small forward and center score in the first two quarters? Both of them are not extremely aggressive when it comes to scoring. But in those two quarters everyone has to coordinate a lot even to maintain equilibrium. So the primary aim is achieved. And now for the next two quarters, they'd have to pull ahead. That's where Tamotsu and the new girl step in. They'd be the ones who usually score even in a normal match. So now the girls think they're playing on handicaps and will try to go all out. But in reality, they're playing normally."

Aomine shook his head as if trying to shake of flies. "So the point is they'll win?"

"Maybe overwhelmingly so. I never supposed that she would literally mean it when she said that I'd have to give them a pep talk once this was over. Curse that woman," said Akashi.

"Why are you so happy, Murasakibara-san?" said Kuroko.

"Nothing. Aki-chin said she would treat me to a sandwich if they won," said Murasakibara.

"That explains a lot, nanodayo," said Midorima.

d

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142K 4.8K 37
Tsukino Gina faced a complete change in lifestyle when her family moved from Australia and back to Japan. Not only does she have to adjust to the swi...
79.5K 1.5K 9
What happens if one day Kuroko Tetsuya's calm demeanor and deadpan expression was replaced by a violent and dangerous personality? Will Seirin be abl...
69.3K 2.5K 100
A Kuroko no basuke fanfic. Teiko's basketball #2. The basketball club is back! This time with new faces, more drama and all the former craziness. Wil...
245K 6.4K 33
Crownless Queen (Kuroko no Basuke fanfic) Meet Kuroko Tetsumi, The former manager of Crownless General, Kuroko Tetsuya's Twin sister, and Best friend...