My Little Assassin

By Becca0106

Nicodemus Blakely is running out of luck. His older brother, Rhys, is the new Alpha. His older sister, Cora... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue
Next Book
PLEASE READ

Chapter Nine

7.7K 261 9
By Becca0106

Nico had walked me back to my room. I had stood right outside the door, shifting nervously on my feet. He scratched the back of his neck and looked away from me.

"Um, well, goodnight," he said and smiled at me.

"Goodnight," I answered.

He turned around to walk away and I had the sudden urge to fling myself into his arms for one last hug, but he was gone before I could react. I sighed, then stepped into my room and shut the door. Yawning, I collapsed on the bed and drifted into sleep, dreaming about how my parent's would've reacted to meeting Nico.

In the morning, I woke up with a smile. Maybe now I could move on from their deaths and make them proud. I know they would've loved Nico, had they been around to meet him.

After I'd gotten ready, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find Nico standing there. He smiled and moved aside so I could step out into the hall. "Are you hungry for pancakes?"

"Am I ever!" I exclaimed. 

"Great, there's a little diner in the center of town."

"Let's go, I'm starving!"

His brows rose and I blushed slightly realizing that we'd be going out for breakfast. Just the two of us. "Okay, but just so you know, it's the whole family."

"Oh, okay, good."

"Good?"

"It'd be awkward if it was just the two of us," I responded with a shrug.

"Why would it be awkward? I'm your mate."

"Just last night we started mending whatever bond we have. Plus, I don't know you very well, so I would feel awkward."

He frowned at that, but led me downstairs to where the rest of his family was waiting. Laylee had a huge smile on her face as we came into view. Her grey eyes danced between the two of us and noticed the slight tension. Before she could say anything, Nico pulled me over to his siblings.

"You know Cora and her mate, Jaymes, who serve as the Beta couple. Rhys is her older twin and the Alpha of our pack. His mate is Dylan, the daughter of one of the normal ranking couples in the pack. And then there's Leo and Lucy, our third in command couple."

Rhys had black hair that made his green eyes stand out. The woman at his side, Dylan, had blonde hair and blue eyes, looking like a barbie if it wasn't for the fact that she oozed with power beyond the Alpha role. She was tough and had attitude. My kind of girl.

Leo looked exactly like Nico, another set of twins. Lucy has flaming red hair that she pulled into a bun on the top of her head. Her grey eyes were sparkling as she jumped over and hugged me. "It's so good to officially meet you! Nico didn't say this, but I was a rogue that had crossed the border when Leo found me."

"I don't like remembering the fact that you were almost killed by the guards after a week in the cells," Leo grumbled, pulling his mate back into him as if afraid she wasn't going to stay.

"So I'm the only human here?" I asked, looking around at the group in front of me.

"Yeah, but don't worry, you're safe."

"I know I am. I can protect myself, and I don't doubt that Nico would also do the best he could to protect me as well."

A proud smile crossed my mate's face. Both Jace and Jaymes scowled at the memory of me beating them. I know I didn't knock Jace out, but I was almost passed out when I did flip him, so that has to count for something.

Dylan leveled her gaze at me and I crossed my arms, meeting her eyes without worry. "If you so much as poke my mate and it bruises, you're dead. Understand?"

Growls resounded around the room at her comment. Nico lunged forward, but I kicked him onto his back so he wouldn't hurt his family member. Grumbing, he got to his feet and rubbed his chest from where I kicked him, his glare aimed at Dylan over my head. I turned to look back at her.

"I can control myself. If he behaves, so will I."

With that said, I walked past them all and out the front door. I shook my hands out, an old method I'd used since I was nine to help me calm down. Taking a deep breath, I stretched my hands over my head, cracking my back in the process.

"You okay?" Nico asked as he came around from behind me.

"Just peachy."

He cautiously reached out and tucked a stray bit of hair behind my ear. Just his fingers brushing over my cheek, with a barely there touch, did more to calm me down than the methods I'd used for years. My body slumped and I ran a hand through my hair.

"I hate the fact that I'm treated like a wild animal. It's not like I go around beating people up for the kicks and giggles. With Jace, I felt threatened and was defending myself. Jaymes challenged me to a duel in the gym, and so I handed his ass to him. I've done nothing to anyone else."

"They're all just scared."

"Why?"

"You're a human that can beat up an alpha. That shouldn't be possible and therefore everyone is scared if you're really just human or if the pack is in danger."

"But I didn't do anything!"

"I know that, and I know you would never hurt someone that you think is innocent. Until you show the pack that you aren't here to harm us, you'll notice that they will act as though they are walking on eggshells around you. For now, they don't know what their missing."

He smiles softly down at me and cups my cheek in his hand. Feeling the sting in my eyes that come before the tears, I do what my head and heart want and launch myself into him. A strong wave of comfort washes over me as his arms enclose around me, holding me to his chest. His cheek rests against the top of my head and one hand of his rubs my back soothingly.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For not hating me. I know I've put you through hell and I wouldn't blame you if you walked away. I don't deserve-"

"Don't even think about finishing that sentence," his voice is a growl and his entire body tenses around me. "I would never leave you, and even after everything, I still think the world of you. You deserve everything you could ever want, and I plan on helping you get it all."

Tears leak down my cheek silently as I tighten my grip on him. I can't even understand why I, out of all people, had been paired with him. He's way too good for me and to me. If I can break down the walls I'd built, then I promise that I will do my best to make him happy. It's the least I can do to repay him for the kindness he's shown me.

I'm suddenly cradled against his chest with one of his arms behind my knees and the other under my shoulders. Letting out a slight gasp, I fling my arms around his neck and my head shoots up. I see that he's walking us over to the cars. His family are already there and packed into two cars with just enough space for the two of us in the second one. Still holding me, Nico climbs into the back seat next to Lucy and closes the door.

"Um, you can let go of me now," I mumble, discreetly wiping off the few tears that had trailed down my cheeks.

"No, I don't want to," he responded, his face tucked into my neck. I rolled my eyes, but stayed put.

Lucy giggled and that caused Leo to look back at her from the front passenger seat. His eyes shone with adoration for the red head next to me and a smile pulled at his mouth. She leaned across the space between her and Nico.

"Where are you from?" She asked, her eyes dancing with wonder.

"Worcester."

"Massachusetts? Wow you're pretty far from home. You lived closer to the old territory though."

"Why, where are we? And what do you mean?"

"Well right after Leo and Nico were born, there was another attempt made to take their mom's life. The first one was a few months after Rhys and Cora were born. Jace had had enough and moved the entire pack up north. We're in the northern end of Maine now. A few miles away from Bangor."

My eyes widened and I frowned. "Really? I didn't think I went that far. It certainly didn't feel like five hours in a car."

"Speaking of which, why did you come all the way here?"

"I was ambushed at my apartment by, um, let's call them some old friends. Even though I hate them and we were never friends."

Lucy frowned but didn't pry, to which I was thankful. I'm already in the doghouse with the pack, why should I let them know that I was an assassin to further ruin the image of me?

The car pulled up in front of a cozy looking restaurant and everyone filed out. I was placed on my feet and Nico smiled down at me when I grabbed onto his hand. Dylan's eyes met mine and they sent a warning glare as she was tucked into Rhys's side and led into the building. My mood dropped when I saw that Laylee, the only person who had been kind to me from the start, didn't even spare me a glance, but rather looked down at her shoes while shuffling her way in behind her mate.

I sighed and my grip on Nico's hand tightened. He let go of my hand only to drop his heavy arm about my shoulders and pull me into him. I leaned my forehead on his chest and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Don't let them get to you. I really want you all to get along. I know it won't be instantaneous, but I'd love it if we can show them that you aren't a threat."

"I'll do my best," I said and then bit my lip. "Can- Could you sit next to me? I seem to be calmer when I'm around you."

He smiled brightly and hugged me closer to him. "I'd be honored. Now let's get in there and get this over with."

"I'm here for the food."

Laughing, he leads me inside and over to the table his family was settling into. "Of course you are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

702K 17.2K 22
Averelle Snow is the golden child in her family, she never gets in trouble, and dreams of one day finding her mate. The one person that completes her...
238K 5.2K 32
|Highest Ranking: 76 in Werewolf, 13/3/21 | After the murder of her parents, sentenced to live the rest of her life out as a rouge. What happens when...
208K 6.1K 31
He had started backing me into the corner with his canines butting down on his lip. "Okay let me mark you and we will be done here." "No!" "Okay gues...
15.2K 745 56
The moon pack lost their Luna eleven years ago and the loss of her still impacts them all. Especially her three children and her mate. As her childr...