Chapter Five

The next morning, I woke up and sighed with relief when my headache had dulled by a lot. The smell of eggs and bacon reached my nose. In response to the enticing aroma, my stomach sounded a loud growl and I laughed. A girl that looked like Laylee, but had Jace's blonde hair, poked her head out of what must've been the kitchen.

"If you're up for it, there's food for you on the counter," she smiled at me. "By the way, I'm Cora."

I sat up, glad that it brought no dizziness, just a pounding between my eyes. Getting to my feet, I followed Cora into the kitchen. It was expensive, big, and everything was the newest model, but I was more focused on the steaming eggs, buttered toast, and crispy bacon, that sat ready on a plate. I jumped onto the tall chair and started shoveling it all into my mouth.

"Guess you were hungry," Cora stated, to which I just nodded.

"I was starving before I passed out," I told her in between bites.

"Didn't you have any food yesterday?"

"Nope. I was going to eat but I was interrupted."

"You wouldn't happen to have been at the café yesterday, were you?"

"Actually, yeah."

A look of understanding crossed her face and a smile broke out. "So you're the one everyone's been talking about. You beat up someone who came in after you."

My face became void of emotion as I stared at her. I still can't believe that Veder found me. That only served to remind me that I needed to move on before the rest of his men catch on. Suddenly, I wasn't hungry and I pushed the half-eaten meal away while getting to my feet.

"Where's the other guy from last night? The one who brought me here?"

Worry danced in her eyes as she studied me and the plate of food left. "Um, do you mean Nico?"

"I never got his name."

"Oh, well Nico should be in our Dad's office. It's down the hall, fourth door on the left."

"Thanks."

I walked out of the kitchen, leaving Cora standing there confused. She was nice, but at the reminder of Veder, I couldn't deal with getting close with her or anyone else here. It's too risky. Not for just me, but for everyone I come into contact with. 

At the fourth door, I knocked and waited until it opened and I was face-to-chest with Soggy Lampshade. Jace sat at his desk with Laylee curled in his lap, both of them watching me with interest. 

"Come on in."

I walked in and leaned against a wall, arms crossed over my chest as Soggy closed the door and took a seat on the couch that sat flush against the back wall. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"There's no easy way to say this, but what happened yesterday should've been impossible."

My eyes narrowed. "If you're going to start ranting and raving about how a girl can't be stronger than a man, then-"

"That's not at all what I'm saying!" Jace interrupted before I could tell him where he can put his sexist comment.

"Then what? Is it my size?"

"Would you just listen?"

I shrugged. "Depends on whether or not you have anything to say that's worth listening to."

A growl came from his chest and I leveled a glare at him. I had no idea how he did that, but if it was a scare tactic, I've seen better ones, so this did nothing to me. Laylee was studying me with a slight smile on her lips.