Chapter Nine

Nico had walked me back to my room. I had stood right outside the door, shifting nervously on my feet. He scratched the back of his neck and looked away from me.

"Um, well, goodnight," he said and smiled at me.

"Goodnight," I answered.

He turned around to walk away and I had the sudden urge to fling myself into his arms for one last hug, but he was gone before I could react. I sighed, then stepped into my room and shut the door. Yawning, I collapsed on the bed and drifted into sleep, dreaming about how my parent's would've reacted to meeting Nico.

In the morning, I woke up with a smile. Maybe now I could move on from their deaths and make them proud. I know they would've loved Nico, had they been around to meet him.

After I'd gotten ready, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find Nico standing there. He smiled and moved aside so I could step out into the hall. "Are you hungry for pancakes?"

"Am I ever!" I exclaimed. 

"Great, there's a little diner in the center of town."

"Let's go, I'm starving!"

His brows rose and I blushed slightly realizing that we'd be going out for breakfast. Just the two of us. "Okay, but just so you know, it's the whole family."

"Oh, okay, good."

"Good?"

"It'd be awkward if it was just the two of us," I responded with a shrug.

"Why would it be awkward? I'm your mate."

"Just last night we started mending whatever bond we have. Plus, I don't know you very well, so I would feel awkward."

He frowned at that, but led me downstairs to where the rest of his family was waiting. Laylee had a huge smile on her face as we came into view. Her grey eyes danced between the two of us and noticed the slight tension. Before she could say anything, Nico pulled me over to his siblings.

"You know Cora and her mate, Jaymes, who serve as the Beta couple. Rhys is her older twin and the Alpha of our pack. His mate is Dylan, the daughter of one of the normal ranking couples in the pack. And then there's Leo and Lucy, our third in command couple."

Rhys had black hair that made his green eyes stand out. The woman at his side, Dylan, had blonde hair and blue eyes, looking like a barbie if it wasn't for the fact that she oozed with power beyond the Alpha role. She was tough and had attitude. My kind of girl.

Leo looked exactly like Nico, another set of twins. Lucy has flaming red hair that she pulled into a bun on the top of her head. Her grey eyes were sparkling as she jumped over and hugged me. "It's so good to officially meet you! Nico didn't say this, but I was a rogue that had crossed the border when Leo found me."

"I don't like remembering the fact that you were almost killed by the guards after a week in the cells," Leo grumbled, pulling his mate back into him as if afraid she wasn't going to stay.

"So I'm the only human here?" I asked, looking around at the group in front of me.

"Yeah, but don't worry, you're safe."

"I know I am. I can protect myself, and I don't doubt that Nico would also do the best he could to protect me as well."

A proud smile crossed my mate's face. Both Jace and Jaymes scowled at the memory of me beating them. I know I didn't knock Jace out, but I was almost passed out when I did flip him, so that has to count for something.

Dylan leveled her gaze at me and I crossed my arms, meeting her eyes without worry. "If you so much as poke my mate and it bruises, you're dead. Understand?"