Because I Love You (D.M)

بواسطة wintcrsoldicr

" If you knew, knew what the blue bird sang at you, you would never sing along " Davis Anne Nine is entering... المزيد

Chapter 1: Summer Shenanigans
Chapter 2: Nerds In Sight
Chapter 3: Surprise À La Mode
Chapter 4: Class With An Ass
Chapter 5: Professor's Pet
Chapter 6: The Queen Gets Detention
Chapter 7: Detention With Twist
Chapter 8: Study Session #1
Chapter 9: He's Still An Ass
Chapter 10: Study Session #2 And Revenge
Chapter 11: The Curse of The Opal Necklace
Chapter 13: An Unexpected Study Session #3
Chapter 14: Home For The Holidays
Chatper 15: The Three Musketeers Return
Chapter 16: The Kids Are Alright
Chapter 17: Destination, Determination, Deliberation
Chapter 18: Study Session #4
Chapter 19: Falling Has A Different Meaning
Chapter 20: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Author's Note:
Chapter 21: More Summer Shenanigans
Chapter 22: A Not So Welcome Return Home
Chapter 23: Confessions Are Fun
Chapter 24: The Carrows? More Like (s)Car(ec)rows!
Chapter 25: Owl Have You Know Something, Nine
Chapter 26: This Idea May Not Fly So Well
Chapter 27: The Queen Gets Detention Again
Chapter 28: Juliet Without Her Romeo
Chapter 29: The Army Remains Strong
Chapter 30: When Push Comes To Shove
19 Years Later
Author's Commentary:

Chapter 12: Suspicions Confirmed

279 11 1
بواسطة wintcrsoldicr

One week later, the castle was in full swing of things. Christmas things. The Great Hall had a specially decorated evergreen in each corner for each of the houses. False snow was bound to fall at any given moment and there was an alarming amount of mistletoe strung around the hallways.

"Is this all really necessary?" I asked at breakfast as Ernie delighted in making it snow on my eggs.

"One word for you, Davis, Christmas Spirit!" He chimed.

"That's two, genius," I mumbled wiping at the now-covered-in-snow scrambled eggs.

"It was still necessary," he added.

I blew a puff of snow at his face and Ernie spent the next few minutes combing through his hair in order to get it all out.

"Do any of you have any idea what you want for Christmas?" Hannah asked lightly as she sprinkled salt over her plate of eggs.

"I'd like a few more plaid shirts," I said.

"I want to be able to drive like you do," Zach grinned.

"What?" I wrinkled my nose at him.

"I want to learn how to drive one of those Muggle cars," he clarified.

"Maybe this summer I'll let you take it for a spin around the block," I pondered aloud. "What about you, Hannah?"

"I could always do with a few more sweaters, maybe some candy or chocolates," she said dreamily.

"I want a doughnut," Ernie said to no one in particular.

"You'll have to wait until summer break!" I told him.

"That's forever away."

"Use a Time-Turner, I heard you can travel through time with them," Zach mocked Ernie.

Ernie shoved Zach and Zach shoved back. Before Hannah or I could stop the two of them from wrestling with each other, the weekly parliament of owls swooped in. Packages and letters fluttered down to eager hands or landed on half-eaten breakfasts. A letter landed next to my pumpkin juice, Hannah got a small package from her mother, Ernie got a letter, and Zach as well. I opened mine carefully because it wasn't either of my parent's handwriting.

The creased parchment inside revealed it to be an invitation from Professor Slughorn:

'Dear Miss Nine,

I have much enjoyed having you as a prize student in my Potions class this year. It would be wonderful if you would attend a small Christmas party I am hosting this evening in my office. I do believe that it would be a nice little gesture on my part to host this and also, it would be fine if you brought a guest to accompany you. Refreshments and snacks will be provided. Hope to see you there and wishing you a Happy Christmas,

-Professor Slughorn'

"That's an interesting expression, someone send you something repulsive?" Hannah asked tugging on my sleeve.

"It's just an invitation to Slughorn's Christmas party. He's having one tonight in his office and I'm supposed to bring a friend," I explained scanning the parchment again.

"Take Malfoy!" Zach piped up instantly.

"Are you out of your mind? No!" I said. "I was considering asking you but if you're going to be an ass, I don't think so."

"Don't take me," Ernie mumbled with his mouth full of oatmeal.

"Yeah, you don't like parties much," I nodded in agreement.

"I'll go with you," Hannah suggested.

I winked at her.

"Miss Abbott, you have yourself a date," I said starting to laugh.

"What are we supposed to wear?" She asked laughing with me.

"I don't know, do you have anything fancy? Like dress robes or something?" I asked her.

"Probably somewhere at the bottom of my trunk," Hannah furrowed her brow in concentration.

"We are going to look fancy tonight," I beamed.

Hannah smiled proudly and smoothed her blonde hair. I was actually pretty excited for this party tonight because it would be nice for a change of scenery. Sitting in the Common Room every night before going to bed and watching Johnny flirt with Gwendolyn while Ernie complained about anything and everything got pretty boring after awhile.

"Well, I'm very hurt you'd rather take Hannah over me," Zach said dramatically.

"Damaged beyond repair?" I asked yawning.

"You don't even know the half of it," he said pretending to be mad at me.

"What a shame."

"You two fight like a married couple," Ernie said scraping what was left of his oatmeal noisily out of his bowl.

"New flash, Ernest, we aren't married," Zach said shoving him for the second time since we had sat down.

"No, you married me," Ernie responded smugly.

I couldn't hold it in any longer and dissolved into a fit of loud laughter. Hannah was shaking her head at us.

"It's time for Potions," Zach said hopping up.

"I'm not done with my eggs," I complained.

"Whose fault is that?"

"I'm going to say yours."

"You're impossible, Davis," he said.

"Thanks, you, too."

Today, Slughorn assigned us to make Death-Cap Draught. The mushrooms that were the basis of this position were large, red, and difficult to cut. Malfoy was amused as I struggled to sever the stem from the cap.

"If you find this so funny, how about you try it then?" I said shoving the mushroom and knife in his direction.

Malfoy picked up the knife and cut through the stem as though he were cutting butter. My cheeks flamed red as I stirred the already boiling cauldron. He scraped the chopped stem into the bubbling water and I mashed the chunks forcefully as he set to work on the caps.

"Calm down, Nine, you're going to burn someone," he said as a drop of the liquid landed dangerously close to his fingers.

I just shook my head and continued stirring. I was pretty embarrassed that I couldn't cut a stupid Death-Cap mushroom and Malfoy easily did it without a problem. Once the mushrooms were all chopped and mashed into the potion and I had stirred it to perfection, Slughorn went around to inspect everyone's. He started with ours first and complimented us before moving up between tables. When he reached Harry Potter's table, he exclaimed he had never seen a better concoction of Death-Cap Draught.

"He says that every time Harry sneeze's," I growled.

Malfoy actually laughed out loud at that.

After Slughorn was done praising Harry for existing, class was over and Zach hauled me to Charms. During the working part of class, Flitwick stopped by my desk and again questioned me about Malfoy failing.

"I'm sorry, Professor, he just hasn't had the time. I know it's been almost two months and that sounds like the most terrible excuse ever, but honestly he's been busy," I explained.

"He's needs to pass, Miss Nine, you need to do something about this and soon," Flitwick scolded.

I nodded and he walked back up to his desk. I gave it ten minutes before grabbing a piece of loose parchment and scribbling the following on it:

'Tomorrow night, library, midnight, Flitwick's orders. Please be there.'

I folded the paper into an airplane and sent it sailing at Malfoy. It landed right on his open textbook making him jump and pull back. When he realized it was a message, he unfolded the paper plane and scanned its contents. Malfoy turned around and gave me a long stare followed with a nod. I nodded back and watched him fold up the note and slide it into his pocket.

"What was that all about?" Zach muttered as I got back to the questions.

"Flitwick asked me to keep up the tutoring sessions. I'm meeting him tomorrow night to start it up again," I said dipping my quill into the ink pot.

"You two are so dating," he said elbowing me.

"We so aren't."

"So are."

"Hush, Zach."

"Make me."

"I'm good, but thanks for the offer."

"You know you want to, Davis," he said suggestively.

"I know I don't want to," I replied.

That was how class went for the rest of the period along with most of Astronomy, but not Transfiguration as we were on opposite sides of the room. Lunch was spent discussing Slughorn's Christmas party and the upcoming Quiddictch match we had been training for that would take place after Christmas break.

"I'm telling you, Zach's really been after us during practices. We really do have a chance," I said as we cleared our plates.

"I'm only coming to this match to laugh at you," Ernie said smugly.

"What about if we do win?" Zach prompted him.

"Then I'll cry," he grumbled as we got up and headed of for fifth period.

"Better bring a handkerchief then!" I called over my shoulder as the four of us parted ways.

During Defense Against The Dark Arts, Snape was droning on and on about Bluebell Flames and I had long since stopped taking notes. My hand ached and I was rather bored.

"Nine?"

Malfoy's voice surprised but I glanced over his way.

"What?"

"Why did you throw the note at me during Charms?" He asked nonchalantly.

"Seemed like a good idea at the time," I said looking at my note sheet.

"You could've waited until after class, you know," he continued.

"Flitwick had told me a few minutes before that we needed to continue and I guess I didn't think I'd remember by the end of class," I answered lamely.

"Next time just wait until class ends," he huffed.

"What, did I scare you?" I chuckled.

"Startled," he said quickly.

"Well, I keep my startling you to a minimum then," I said glancing up at the black board.

"Thanks, Nine," he said sarcastically.

"You're welcome," I said scribbling down a few more notes.

Herbology was freezing cold as usual and our Hydrangeas had frozen over night so Professor Sprout made us start over. Our second attempt was pathetic and the lilies wilted almost instantly. When class ended, everyone hurried up to seventh period to get warm. I felt bad for any of the students that went from here to Astronomy, the tower seemed even colder. Thankfully, Professor Binn's room was warm enough and I barely made it through his lecture on old spells no one used anymore. Dinner brought slow-roasted turkey and buttery mashed potatoes with a side of cooked carrots. For dessert, cherry pie. Once we had stuffed ourselves, Hannah whisked me off to our dormitory to get ready for the party.

"Are you ready to go, Davis?" Hannah asked as I walked out of the bathroom.

"Ready!" I said.

Hannah had chosen a simple sleeveless black dress that came just above her knees and seemed to sparkle from every angle. I had selected a rich blue dress that swirled  down just below the knees. It fanned outwards whenever I spun on my feet while Hannah's was more constricting. We each had matching dress shoes to go with the dresses as well.

"I wish your hair was longer so I could braid it," Hannah said as we left the Common Room.

Her hair was down from the usual pigtails and flowed elegantly over her pale shoulders.

"Honestly, I don't miss my long hair," I said brushing my thick mass to look presentable with my fingers.

"I'm not saying you look bad or anything, I just struggle braiding my own. Ernie's hair is the proper length and I probably could braid his, but he won't hold still long enough," Hannah pointed out.

"I'll get him to hold still one day and you can give him corn rows or a French Braid or just tie it in knots. I don't think he'd notice a difference," I chuckled as we approached the office.

Upon entering Slughorn's office, we were shocked to see the interior decorations. It looked as though someone had hung a rainbow parachute from the ceiling haphazardly and then strung Christmas lights all over the place. Despite the carnival-ish appearance, all the other guests were dressed up as fancy as Hannah and I. There was a long table covered in food in the middle of the room and there were people going around and offering out drinks to party-goers.

"Think we're late?" Hannah asked nervously tugging at her dress.

"No. I think---"

"Miss Nine! So glad you could make it!" Professor Slughorn interrupted me and shook my hand rather fast.

He looked somewhat tipsy, as though he'd drank a little more than he should've.

"And you, sir, lovely party," I commented removing my hand from his.

"It's nothing, and I see we brought someone with us?" He asked gesturing to Hannah.

"Yes, Professor Slughorn, this is my friend Hannah Abbott. Hannah, Professor Slughorn," I awkwardly introduced the two.

"Hello, Professor," Hannah said shaking his hand.

I felt weird as Hannah had Potions third period so he should know her. Judging by the amount Slughorn had drank, introductions were absolutely necessary. He greeted her and wished us both a Happy Christmas before heading off to talk with other guests.

"I never would've pinned him to be a heavy drinker," Hannah muttered as we made our way over to the punch bowl.

"Makes me wonder what's in this," I said pouring us each a glass.

"I doubt he spiked the punch. There's people handing out other assorted beverages. Is that Neville?" She asked blushing.

It was no secret Hannah has had a major crush on Neville since fourth year.

"Looks like he's the one giving away drinks. Maybe you should go over there and ask for one," I hinted pushing her towards him.

"I don't know, what if he---"

"Before you say that he might hate you, might I remind you that you look like a queen? Just walk over there and say hello," I said confidently.

"I'm scared," she said from behind the rim of her glass.

"Want me to come with?"

"Would you?" She practically squeaked.

"Yes, let's go before some other girl sweeps him away," I muttered.

We finished our punch and waded through the thick crowd of people. Neville was wearing a crisp white shirt and long black pants. In his gloved hands, a tray of drinks rested precariously. He seemed to be having trouble balancing it as he kept re-positioning it every few minutes.

"Neville?" Hannah boldly walked up to him with a smile on her face.

"Hello, Hannah," he said almost dropping the tray. "Care for a drink?"

Hannah was glowing as she selected a glass and became engaged in conversation with Neville. I drifted back to the table and observed the party. Hermione Granger arrived with Cormac McLaggen and Harry Potter came with Luna Lovegood. I was rather curious when Professor Snape showed up and cornered Potter. After Snape left Harry the most unexpected thing happened. I heard the office door slam open and the scuffling of feet.

"Get your hands off me you filthy squib!"

Filch had dragged Malfoy into the midst of the party by his jacket and looked close to exploding from rage.

"Professor Slughorn, I found this boy lurking in the hallway outside. He claims he was invited to your party," Filch spat.

Slughorn seemed to be having a difficult time figuring out what was going on, but Snape seemed unfazed.

"I'll escort him out," Snape drawled as Malfoy wrenched his arm out of Filch's grasp.

"Certainly, Professor," Malfoy said glaring at Filch with a look of pure hatred.

There was a day several months ago when Malfoy had looked at me with the same disgust and disdain in his eyes. I almost pitied Filch for receiving such a look from him.

Snape nodded curtly to the ajar door and Malfoy practically sprinted out towards the hall. Slughorn was still in shock at what had just gone down and reached for another glass of wine. Before long, the party was back to normal and people had totally forgotten about Malfoy.

I located Hannah who was still deeply engrossed with Neville.

"I need some air," I casually mentioned to her before slipping out of Slughorn's office.

I quietly rushed down the hall after Snape who was dragging Malfoy by the arm at a fast pace. They finally stopped near a turn in the hallway so I pressed myself deep into the shadows of the wall. I was invisible to them from my standpoint.

"Let me assist you," Snape said in stern whisper.

"No, I don't need protection," Malfoy cried desperately.

"I made the Unbreakable Vow," Snape snarled back.

"I don't need your help. This is my moment. He chose me above all others. I don't need your help!" Malfoy said as panic rose in his voice.

Draco Malfoy was indeed a Death Eater. Lord Voldemort had assigned him to kill the Headmaster and do something with that damn Vanishing Cabinet. Snape was offering him help where he clearly needed it, but Malfoy kept refusing.

I waited a moment longer before realizing Snape had left Malfoy alone in the hallway. Malfoy was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed and his face screwed up with concentration. He was trying not to cry. I couldn't bring myself to draw a breath as I watched him suffer. Zach, Ernie, and Hannah had been correct all along. On top of all of this, Snape swore on his life to help Malfoy with his task. If the Vow was broken, Snape would die. As all these thoughts spun through my head, I kept my gaze firmly locked on Malfoy. He looked like an emotional wreck. A small voice in my head told me to go comfort him, but I didn't dare move. If he had any idea that I had been eavesdropping on what was said, he'd kill me right on the spot.

After what felt like an eternity of watching Malfoy, he composed himself enough and left. Luckily, he walked the opposite direction of where I was poised. I slid down the wall until I was sitting on the cold floor and just stared blankly at the adjacent wall. My brain just couldn't wrap around the fact that Draco was a Death Eater. Everyone knew about his father, Lucius, but now he was one of them. The other thing that kept coming to mind was that I was friends, or rather acquaintances with a Death Eater.

Hannah found me fifteen minutes later on the floor and sat down next to me.

"What are you doing out here? You said you needed air, but the party ended a while ago. I've been looking everywhere for you," she said looking at me.

"You were right," I breathed quietly.

"What? Right about what?" She asked.

"Malfoy. You were right about him all along. I followed the two after they left the party. Snape made the Unbreakable Vow to protect and help Malfoy but Malfoy doesn't want help. He's one of them. Draco Malfoy is a Death Eater." The words sounded funny on my tongue.

"I'm sorry," Hannah said.

"For what?" I turned and looked at her face in the shadows.

"I know you really wanted to believe that he wasn't part of He Who Must Not Be Named's followers. I could tell you wanted him just to be like all the rest of us. I know you like him, Davis, you do," she said sadly.

I sighed and glared back at the other wall again. As much as I didn't want to admit it, Hannah was right: I did like him and I did wish he was just another student at Hogwarts.

"It's not your fault. You didn't ask him to kill Dumbledore through Katie Bell," I said bluntly. "How did you and Neville get along?"

"We really hit it off. He's taking me to Hogsmeade tomorrow after dinner," Hannah sighed happily.

"Well, good for you," I congratulated her. "At least someone got what they wanted tonight."

Hannah laughed a little and then stood up.

"Come on, I'm cold and it's bed time."

She pulled me to my feet and we headed back to the Common Room.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

52 1 12
Read to the bottom Lily Boyd was just a 17 year old girl, year 5 at Hogwarts School of Magic. She had her strengths and her weaknesses and one of her...
1.2M 30.5K 71
❝𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐨❞ Y/N Larkspur arrives at Hogwarts with a disgraceful family name to be sorted into the house her father scorns. Her world suddenly co...
34.3K 593 26
Rachel Graham is a 5th-year student at Hogwarts in the Slytherin house. Both of her parents are Death Eaters so she grew up thinking that everything...
403 7 14
"Come on Draco! It's fun!" The young Smithstone exclaimed as she was running around in the pouring rain like a child, Malfoy chuckled at the scene as...