Chapter 17: Destination, Determination, Deliberation

Life with a cast was difficult. Getting dressed, taking showers, brushing my hair, making my bed, writing, even eating was almost impossible. As I was right handed, using a quill proved very hard for me. Left handing essays and homework didn't bode well for my grades as my handwriting was nearly impossible to read. Potions was the worst as Malfoy found it highly entertaining I had to do everything one handed. He especially found it amusing whenever I tried to cut up plants or use the knife for anything. I would've laughed at him if he had a cast, but he still only wore bandages under his clothing and had the use of both arms.

Even the simple act of carrying my books from one class to another was challenging as my bag was too small. Zach wouldn't help me as he was too busy ignoring Ernest and I. I went from class to class hauling everything in my left arm. Pomfrey said it would come off yesterday, but she wanted me to keep it on an extra day just in case.

This also meant I had to sit out at Quidditch practices. Zach was more than happy to point out to everyone that I wasn't participating and kept up his usual regime of grueling practices. I pitied all the younger students on the team. It's not like they didn't try or anything. In fact, they tried harder than any other team did. Zach had booked the pitch for Monday night practices from the moment dinner let out until the sun went down. This also meant I couldn't tutor Malfoy. While I had repeatedly told Zach that if I wasn't going to participate in the scrimmages that I should just go and help Malfoy, but Zach shot me down saying I needed to watch. Ernie had come down one evening to try and talk some sense into him, but Zach was adamant I stay in the stands to watch. I contemplated going to Madam Hooch about this, but as Zach was already out to make my life a living hell, I couldn't imagine what he would do if I told on him. There I sat, freezing to death in the stands and watching Zach chase Summerby while shouting threats at the poor boy. When the sun sank low enough below the horizon, our loud team Captain relived us of our practice duties. Summerby left in tears and neither Heidi nor Maxine would look at Zach. The other boys fled from Zach towards the locker rooms. This couldn't go on, I needed to do something about this. Determined, I approached him as he was walking back up to the Common Room.

"Zach," I said loudly.

"I don't want to talk---"

"Well, too bad because you cannot treat our team like that. We are supposed to be a family, not a dictatorship! Did you not see Elliot crying? Or how Anthony and Malcolm ran from you? Or what about Heidi and Maxine avoiding you at all costs? Do you not hear yourself scream at these kids? They don't deserve this. Just because you're pissed off at me for not wanting to go out with you gives you no right to take it out on everyone around you. You need to get a hold of yourself before you hurt someone," I said.

"You don't know what it's like to love someone and not have them love you back," he said rolling his eyes.

"Zach, do you hear yourself? Of course I've loved people I can't have! I got over it without hurting everyone around me," I snapped.

"Yeah? Name one person," Zach challenged.

"In the Muggle world, we have famous idols we'll never get a chance to meet. You know how much Fall Out Boy means to me. I can't have Patrick Stump, but do you see me bitching about it? No, now please, for the sake of our team, get a grip," I said sternly.

Zach only shook his head and walked away. I ground my teeth and followed him into the Common Room. Everyone had gone to bed so I stormed up to my dorm and took a shower. Perhaps Zach would cool down overnight or stop talking to me all together. Whatever happened, I was down for either option.