Chapter 9: He's Still An Ass

I made it back to my bed by 1:15am and was relieved to find that no one was awake. All the curtains were drawn around each four poster bed meaning no one could hear me come in. I slipped under the quilt and drew my own curtains. Morning was going to come way too early for my liking, but it was my own fault. I could've easily not tutored Malfoy, but it felt right helping him out.

I laid awake for who knows how long staring at nothing and thinking about Zach's warning and Hannah's warning.

It seemed like everyday when the four of us were younger, Malfoy, (along with his cronies), would make snide comments and stupid jokes about us Hufflepuffs. We'd seen him push Ravenclaw's down and yell at Gryffindor's for breathing near him. As each year passed, Snape seemed to be favoring him more and more over any other student. Though this year, he was different. Malfoy rarely hung around his 'friends' or said anything out loud. He was quiet and distant which was uncharacteristic for him. Even when he commented about my blood status at the beginning of the year, it didn't seem like he had really meant it. He was probably just trying to appear cool in front of his friends.

As I laid there in bed, I kept on thinking that maybe Malfoy was changing. Maybe he wasn't the villain everyone pinned him to be. Maybe he still was a person underneath it all.

As expected, the morning showed up in full sunlight and puffy white clouds. I fumbled around for clothes blearily and grabbed my glasses. Cleaning them on my shirt, I noticed Hannah watching me from the far side of her bed.

"Did you go last night?" She asked as our eyes met.

"Yeah," I said putting my glasses on and running a hand through my hair.

"What exactly happened?" She asked.

"We discussed ways to study and he copied my notes. I think he's going to ask Flitwick if he can retake the Chapter Five test. Other than that, not much," I replied casually.

"He didn't try or do anything bad?" Hannah asked skeptically.

"No, but he did compliment my teaching skills," I said shaking my head.

Hannah raised her eyebrows and blinked a couple of times.

"Draco Malfoy complimented you? Are you sure we are talking about the same person, Davis?" She asked.

"Yes, Draco Malfoy," I said.

"That's very uncharacteristic of him to do so," Hannah pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess. You want to go get some breakfast?" I asked changing the subject.

"Good idea," Hannah agreed and we exited the dormitory.

We arrived to the Great Hall and discovered Ernie was on his second bowl of oatmeal and Zach was talking his ear off.

"---what if she doesn't show up to classes today because Malfoy killed her?" He was asking Ernie as Hannah and I sat down across from the two of them.

"Not dead," I stated pouring a bowl of cereal.

"DID HE TRY ANYTHING LAST NIGHT BECAUSE I WILL PERSONALLY---" Zach started yelling, but Ernie elbowed him in the ribs, hard.

"Nothing happened. He copied my notes and that was all," I said taking a bite.

"Told you she'd be fine, mate," Ernie said rolling his eyes at Zach.

"Please don't tell me your seeing him again tonight," Zach pleaded with me.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am going to tutor him again tonight. Same time and all," I answered.

Zach slumped down in his seat and stared glumly at his bacon. I felt bad for him, but it was my choice to do this, not his.