Wounded: Our Journey Home

By misshijabi3

(Book 1) Completed: February 13th 2016 Highest rank: #05 on the what's hot list 12/1/15 Tuesday Reached 100k... More

Wounded
Prologue
Wounded- Chapter One
Wounded- Chapter Two
Wounded- Chapter Three
Wounded- Chapter Four
Wounded- Chapter Five
Wounded- Chapter Six
EID MUBARAK!!! (Eid-ul-Fitr)
Wounded- Chapter Seven
Wounded- Chapter Nine
Wounded- Chapter Ten
Wounded- Chapter Eleven
Wounded- Chapter Twelve
Wounded- Chapter Thirteen
Wounded- Chapter Fourteen
Wounded- Chapter Fifteen
Wounded- Chapter Sixteen
Wounded- Chapter Seventeen
Wounded- Chapter Eighteen
EID MUBARAK!!!(Eid-ul-Adha)
Wounded- Chapter Nineteen
Wounded- Chapter Twenty
Wounded- Chapter Twenty One
Characters
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Two
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Three
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Four
Authors note
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Five
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Six
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Seven
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Thirty
Wounded- Chapter Thirty One
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Two
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Three
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Four
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Five
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Six
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Seven
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Forty
Authors note (important...)
Wounded- Chapter Forty One
Wounded- Chapter Forty Two
Wounded- Chapter Forty Three
Wounded- Chapter Forty Four
Wounded- Chapter Forty Five
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter + Mothers day
I'm leaving... Wattpad!
Good news!
SafiyahGraphics
Sequel: Collided

Wounded- Chapter Eight

9.5K 522 42
By misshijabi3

Edited

Published: Tuesday July 21, 2015 2:27 a.m

Jafar:

July 12th

This is it. It all comes down to the last few seconds of the game. I'm staring at my competition, squinting lightly so I won't lose. I can't lose.

My opponent smiled at me, all the while showing off her adorable little dimples. She knows I can't resist the adorable smile.

"Give up now," I smirked and eying up my opponent. She shook her head, her bouncy curls falling in her face.

"We've been at this for like ten minutes!"

"It's been like thirty seconds. She's not going to give up," Amna smiled from where she stood over us.

"One can hope," I tilted my head and stared directly into her eyes. I don't know how it's possible for someone like her to not blink for this long.

"Uncle Jafar, just give up! She's a pro at this game."

"I am," She smiled and propped her hands under her cheeks. "Do you wanna quit."

"No," I glared and straightened up my stance.

"Jafar, I was wondering if you could..." Tehreem trailed off, raising an am sided eyebrow at the sight in front of her. "What are you doing?"

"About to lose," Amna smirked at her Ummi and continued eyeing Mina and I back and fourth.

"Well I need you to do something."

I turned my head to look at my sister and Mina gasped and pointing an accusing finger at me. "You blinked!"

"I moved my head!" I defended standing up only to have something waved in front on my face so I would blink. I glared at my ten year old nephew Zakariah.

He shrugged. "You were going to lose anyway."

"I would have won if you hadn't done that. Now I lost to a six year old!"

"Jafar," Tehreem lightly hit my arm. I turned to her. "I need you to take the kids out while I clean around the house."

"Why can't they stay here?" I asked and she rolled her eyes with a glare.

"I do my best work without distractions, now go!"

"Fine," I grumbled and turned to face three pairs of eyes on me. "Who wants to go to the park?"

"I'm thirteen," Amna commented, pursing her lips. "The arcade sounds better."

"Yeah!" Zak chimed in.

Sighing, I nodded. Something tells me I'm going to regret this.

-*-

Ayah:

"So, what do you think?"

I stood in front of Mama, swaying back and fourth in my Abaya. There's nothing extraordinary about it. It's just the fact that I got up and took control of my life again. I could only last so long in bed before I convinced myself that I was lazy. This morning I figured that a week was enough.

"You look much better," Mama nodded in approval, then walked towards me with a plastic bag of money.

"What's this for?"

"I need you to pick up a list of groceries. We seem to be bare in the pantry."

"Okay," I nodded and took a quick look at the list. It doesn't seem like I need the car.

"Also, Dianne has something for you."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion and moved to slip my converse on.

"What is it?"

Mama shrugged. "I don't know. I guess you have to go and find out."

"Okay," I went to give her a quick hug. "Salaam!"

-*-

When I first saw the list I thought I wasn't going to need the car. There were only about ten small items to get and a few big things such as a medium sized thing of paper towel. But as I stand here in front of the impatient young woman at the counter going over all the items I picked up because they looked delicious, I can't choose what to put back. The cart is literally halfway full and I walked here! I really should start driving more often.

"Ma'am, are you going to buy something?" The girl asked impatiently . She isn't even looking in my direction. She's too busy examining her fingernails.

I nodded my head and began scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. I'm the only one in the store. Surely I can have an extra minute to think.

"Ma'am?"

"I am buying something," I snapped and started putting the items onto the counter. I can't put anything back. I guess I will have to walk, but hey, I will build muscles. And arm burns from the bags, my mind reminded me. But how can anyone have the heart to put back such snacks.

"45.67."

As I reached for my wallet, the ding of the door sounded,  and Tehreem's kids came in.

"Please can I get some candy?" Mina whined as she began pulling on her sisters sleeve.

Amna glared at her and pulled her sleeve back. "You know Ummi said no. Stop asking!"

"Aunt Ayah," Zakariah waved and started walking over from where he watched his sisters argue. At the sound of my name, they all came over to greet me, further irritating the cashier.

"We haven't seen you in so long," Amna beamed and pulled me into a hug. It's been a while since I saw them on the Eid a couple of months back.

"I know," I smiled and handed the money to Heidi, the cashier. For a small town, I don't remember seeing her around before.

"What have you guys been up to?"

"We just came back from the arcade," Zak said from where he grabbed something to drink from the refrigerator. "Do you think he will let me get soda?"

"Yes," Amna frowned. "But as soon as Ummi knows that you got it, she will be furious!"

Zak grumbles something under his breath, but put it back nonetheless. "Lemonade it is."

"Who brought you guys here?" I grabbed my many bags and balanced them half and half on my arms.

"Uncle Jafar," Amna said nonchalantly and placed a few snacks on the counter for Heidi to scan. "We were in Ummi's way, so he brought us out for some fun."

That means he must be outside. I know Jafar. But I'm surprised he didn't come inside. Tehreem made it a rule that whoever goes anywhere with her kids that they have to follow them like shadows.

"That's nice," I whispered, but inside I am freaking out. Yeah I was able to come out today, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to see him.

"I think he's trying to get the 411 on you from Aunt Jamila, but she's not budging. Something about girl code."

He's checking up on me? What happened to space? Then again, he didn't come to the house since that day.

"That sounds like her," I laughed it off and kept my eye on the door. "Well I have to get going. I'll see you later?"

"Yeah," She nodded, but her head was trained on her phone screen.

As I excited the store, I tried to hide myself from anyone, but that's kind of hard to do when you're wearing bright colors and have your body weight in bags hanging on your arms. But nonetheless, I managed to make it across the street towards the Diner before I heard my name. So close...

"Ayah, wait up!"

Turning around, I saw Jafar run up to me with a determined look on his face. I'm not going to lie, he looks nice today, but then again, he always did. I did fall in love with his looks when we first got married, but as I got to know him, his attitude outweighed what was on the outside. Slightly...

"Hey," He grinned with his hands stuffed into his cargo pockets. He always did that...

I returned the grin. "Hi."

"I know you said you wanted space, but I couldn't help myself but to talk to you," He explained, a guilty expression coating his features. "And I wanted to apologize."

"It's fine," I assured him and not so descreetly adjusted the bags on my arms.

Jafar saw me struggling and came closer. "Let me help you."

I quickly declined. "It's fine I--"

"Ayah," He warned and grabbed the bags from me and carried them with ease. "Let me give you a ride."

"No," I declined again. "I was going to the Diner anyways."

"I'll take you home after we make a stop at the diner. I wanted to see Dianne anyways."

"Jafar, I told you that we can't go back to normal."

"I know that," He said with a pained expression. "But acting civilized to each other is still an option."

"Yeah, but—"

"Please, Ayah. I just want us to at least talk, with the occasional smile."

To emphasize his point, he smiled at me, dimples showing. I huffed in annoyance. He knows I can't resist his smile. He looks too much like his neice.

Reluctantly I nodded. "Okay."

-*-

"Amna, I'm serious. Don't let her out of your sight!"

"I won't," Amna said and squeezing Mina's hand to put her point across. "I will watch them both, you can count on me."

As soon as we watched them walk inside the arcade again, Jafar and I walked side by side to the Diner, keeping an appropriate distance between us. I know we don't have to, but it doesn't feel right to walk close to each other. But out of the cornor of my eye, I can see he's not okay with the distance.

"How long are you here for?" I finally asked once we were a couple of doors down.

From the cornor of my eye, again, I could see Jafar smile in happiness because I started the conversation.

"For as long as I want right now. I needed to come back."

As he said the last part, he glanced at me for a reaction, but I kept my expression neutral. Its not like he will be here long. Knowing Allen, he'll probably have gigs booked for him by next week.

"Ayah, I'm sorry, okay? I knew that you didn't like surprises, yet I suprised you. I knew you didn't want me to leave, yet I left you. And I know you want space, but I can't stay away. Your silence is killing me."

I stopped walking to turn and purse my lips at Jafar.

"Ayah," He came about a foot away from me. "I couldn't stand leaving you for another day, so I came back. All I wanted and still want is to see is your smile, hear your laugh and know that I caused that reaction out of you."

"Jafar," My voice cracked as I stared into his eyes. Eyes that held so much emotion.

"I don't expect you to come running to me, even though I wouldn't be complaining, but I do want a chance to make things better."

"I don't have a problem with that," I replied but I didn't meet his eyes. "I just need to know that you're here and won't leave me again. I can't take it."

"I don't want to do that. Even if it means losing my career, so be it. I can't do what I did to you for ten months again."

"I don't want you to give up your dream because of what happened. I understand that you wanted to prove that you could shine, I do. The heartache though..."

"I feel very bad about that, y'know? Which is why I want--no, I will make it up to you if you'll let me."

"What if I don't?" I teased making him smirk.

"I will make it up to you anyway."

-*-

After dropping the kids off at Jafar's house, he drove me home and helped me with the groceries. Our little heart to heart really helped with our relationship and showed us where we stood with each other. We both agreed to take things slow with each other before making any real decisions. We also decided not to think about his time running out, because it's not. The most his extended stay can do is knock his career down a notch, but he keeps stressing that he doesn't care as long as he's here.

I do and I don't want him to think like that. If he gave it all up now, that would mean all his hard work would be for nothing. I can't let that happen. As much as I hated his absence, I was also proud of him. He was finally living his dream. He put his mind to it and got it done. Throwing it all away wouldn't make sense.

"Where should I put these?

"In the cupboards," I told him pointing up top. Mama left a note saying that she was going to visit one of her friends for a couple of hours, so Jafar and I are alone.

"That's the last of it," Jafar grabbed the plastic bags and balled them into a big plastic ball. "Do you still keep the bags?"

Looking up from the note, I smiled. "You remembered?"

"Of course I did. In this bin right?"

"Yeah."

After Jafar finished putting everything away, he sighed.

"I guess it's time for me to go, or I could stay..."

"Too soon," I said and walked towards the door with Jafar behind me.

"What about tomorrow? Do you want to go out somewhere?"

"Like?"

"Well," He put his index finger and thumb on his chin to act like he was thinking,m. "I don't know, but I'll text you. I know how much you don't like talking on the phone."

"It gets awkward," I shrugged. "But yeah, we can do something."

As he was walking down the steps, he stopped halfway to come back up to me.

"I know we're taking things slow, and I know you won't like what I'm about to do, but I've been wanting to do this since I got back."

"Wait, what do you mea--"

I didn't even get to finish my sentence before he kissed me, then stepped back to smirk at my stunned reaction before jogging to his car.

He was right, I wasn't expecting that. Kissing me on the cheek is the last thing I thought he would do.

-*-

Do you guys want to know what Ayah and Jafar look like, or are you good with suspense?

Please...

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 1.2K 25
What's life, nothing but a void canvas which we have to fill with numerous hues. And once in a while we come across people who will taint the void ca...
1.8K 357 12
Welcome to Halal fanfic' era: Assalamualaikum my reader (stars)♡ This story is about falling in love with a reverted Muslim celebrity boy...they had...
600K 32K 54
💞Winner of Infinity Awards 2018👑💞 Assalamualaikum and hii everyone thanks for choosing my book to read. hey don't worry I'm not going to bore you...
38.7K 1.5K 37
The Ahmed Trilogy Book One Can be read as a stand-alone .•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•. Zayn feels lost, devoid of his...