So You Think You Can Write Co...

By WishThatWasMe

So You Think You Can Write - Contest Entries More

So You Think You Can Write Contest
Prompt One
Prompt Two
Prompt Three
Prompt Five
Prompt Six

Prompt Four

33 5 2
By WishThatWasMe

"Yes. . . of course . . . I will. . .Bye."

"How do you do it, Meg?" I asked my redhead friend as soon as she had placed her mobile back into her jeans pocket.

"Do what?" She asked as we continued to jog around the park.

"You know, handle everything. The job, chores, your relationship. . . Just everything!"

Meg shrugged. "Planning is everything, I guess."

"Wish I had your gift of planning," I said.

"Where's all this coming from, Amber?" Meg asked, sounding concerned.

It was my turn to shrug. "It's been four years since I graduated from college and I still haven't had my big break yet. It's not like I have a stable job. I feel as if I'm still in my internship days, where you're still learning, practicing, doing Work Experience. And there's this strong will inside me that wants to achieve something but I don't know how."

"You'll get there, Amber," Meg said, soothingly. "You just need a bit of time and patience. Things will work out eventually."

"I hope so." I sighed.

"When do you have to leave for work?" Meg asked, changing the subject.

"About twelve," I answered. "The actors have a day off today but Aaron wants me to help him with something."

"You do know that you're lucky, right? Your work with some of the famous people on this planet!"

"I know," I half-smiled. "There are perks to the job. But I want to do something more. This is all work experience. I want something bigger. Something that can make a difference."

"Such as?"

"We've already had this talk, Meg," I reminded her.

"I know. But I love listening to you talk about it."

I chuckled. "I hope someday I can actually get it all accomplished."

"You will," Meg smiled. "Now, what do you say about a get-away weekend? Just me and you."

"I cant," I said. "Mom's asked me to come over. It's been too long."

Meg nodded. "The weekend after that?"

"Sure. I won't make any plans."

"How's your mother?" Meg asked.

"She's . . fine?"

"Same old?"

"Same old," I confirmed, laughing.

 We jogged in silence after that. My thoughts wandered over to my widowed mother. Sure, I loved her but moving out of the house was the biggest relief. My older sister, Hazel, on the other hand, didn't mind staying at home with Mom. 

Mom was the kind of person who was never afraid to voice her thoughts, however criticizing they might be. She believed that everyone had the right to know what others thought about them. There were no secrets when it came to Mom. Sometimes it was for the good, sometimes not so much. 

She was a strong-willed woman, though. Something, both, Hazel and I had inherited. The only time I saw her resolve broken was when Dad died when I was eighteen, but she was back to normal in a few hours. Which was a huge relief.

"Amber?" Meg broke the silence.

"Yeah?"

"Are you really not getting any offers? I mean, you've been to acting school, you're talented, pretty. . You can't not get any offers."

"Meg, you know what I want, right?" I said.

"Wel, yeah. But don't you think that maybe if you do something mainstream first, the offers will come tumbling in?"

"The idea is tempting," I admitted. "But this isn't what Dad wanted. Dad spent his entire lifetime spreading awareness through his movies and documentaries. It was all for a good cause. And everyone knows him as the Michael Hughes who is known to have saved thousands of lives through his work. Do you see the pressure that comes in with that kind of thing?"

"You don't have to do it just because your Dad did it," Meg said. 

"I know," I smiled. "But I want to."

Meg came to a stop and I realized that we'd returned to our apartment building. "I'll always be here, Amber. Whatever you decide to do."

"Thanks, Meg." I grinned. "You have no idea how much better that makes me feel."

~

"That's it for today, Amber," Aaron said to me. "When these actors change their schedule at the last minute, it can get really hectic. Thanks for helping."

"No problem," I smiled. "Tell me if you need my help with anything else."

"Will do," he replied. "You want to stop by for some coffee before you leave. Daniel wanted to talk to you anyway."

I frowned. "About what?"

"I'm not sure but he told me to inform you. I didn't remember about it until now."

"Um, okay," I said. "Come on, then."

I grabbed my bag and followed Aaron outside as he left me to the cafeteria in the studio. 

"What would you like?" The brunette behind the counter asked.

"A cappuccino, please."

"Daniel's just come," Aaron said, pointing towards the door. 

I saw the director of the movie, Daniel McCarthy come in. He was wearing his standard Armani suit, this one gray. Behind him I saw his son, Liam. Liam was your average spoilt celebrity. He had his Dad's fame to support his own career and had had a very privileged childhood. Thus, making him the biggest jerk I'd ever met. And the fact that he was hot didn't make things any easier.

"Amber," Liam smirked, seeing me. "Nice to see you here."

"You too, Liam," I said in a monotone. "Hello, Daniel."

"Amber." Daniel smiled. "Just the person I wanted to see."

"Aaron told me you wanted to talk?"

"Yes," Daniel said. "But first, let's go to my office?"

The four of us headed down the corridor to Daniel's office. Once we entered, Daniel indicated for me to sit.

I did as told, feeling a bit nervous. What was so important that Daniel had called me to his office? 

Daniel sat down at his desk across me and Liam stood behind his father, leaning against the wall. 

"Now, Amber," Daniel began. "I hear you've refused every movie you've been offered?"

He sounded concerned and I bit my lip, nodding. 

"Amber." Daniel's voice was grave. "Your father was one of my closest friends. I know he never wanted you to be exposed to the big, bad world of Hollywood but I know that he would have wanted you to be successful in whatever you do. I feel as if I have a duty to him since he has supported me through the toughest times. And it is my responsibility to see that his daughter is happy in what she does."

I didn't know where he was going with this. It was true Daniel and my dather were very close friends thourgh their work. But I didn't grow up around famous people. Dad made sure that I led a life as safe and away from the spotlight as possible. Sure, I'd seen Daniel a couple of times but I never got to officially meet him until after I graduated from High School. 

Dad had introduced me to him a few months before he died due to cancer and after his death, Daniel had helped me and my family. He helped me get my job first jobs, however unstable they were. It was a good thing too because I was getting the hang of how things worked when movies were made. And it was only then that I met Liam.

"I don't understand," I finally said after a moment of silence. 

"What do you want to do, Amber?" Daniel asked. "I'm aware that youo've been getting offers from some of the biggest directors out there but you won't accept any."

"I auditioned for all of them," I said, meekly.

"And have you been finalized for them?"

"A few of them."

"But you refused," he stated.

I took a deep breath and said, "I don't want to do mainstream movies. I want to do what Dad did. He had an impact on the society through his movies. I want to do something like that, carrying his work forward so that people remember him."

"For a cause?" The question came from Liam, surprising me since he rarely bothered to talk to me apart from greeting me.

"Yes," I said.

There was a strange glint in his green eyes. Not teasing, for a change. Something more positive, but I couldn't place what it was. He turned to his father. "She's perfect for it, Dad."

I looked at him, confused. Daniel turned to me. "Amber, you don't mind doing a low budget film, do you?"

"Of course not." I shook my head.

"Well," Daniel said. "We've been taking auditions for a new film that I'm working on. It's the kind of film your father used to do. When the script was shown to me, I knew only Michael would do justice to the film. And then I remembered you."

I stared at him, my eyes wide in surprise. Is he saying what I think he's saying?

"It's not much, Amber," Daniel continued. "It's about an orphanage struggling to continue working because of low funds. But none of the other people who have auditioned have a passion for such a subject. They want fame and money and most of them auditioned because Liam's in it too."

Liam was in it? That was definitely something I didn't expect.

"But you, Amber," Daniel went on. "The inclination towards such topics runs in your veins. I know you'll do full justice to it. All you need to do is give an audition first. You up for it?"

Was he kidding? He offered me a role in his movie. It was the kind I'd always wanted to do. Sure, it wouldn't save lives. But it was a start.

"Well?" Liam said. "You in?"

"Definitely." I grinned. "Thank you so much, Daniel. I can't believe you're doing this for me."

Daniel chuckled. "You deserve it, Amber."

Daniel's mobile rang just then. "I need to take this," he said. "Aaron, will you show me the schedule you've planned out?"

"Sure," Aaron said from behind me. I stood up and turned around. Aaron was smiling. "Congratulations, Amber," He said, giving me a hug. 

"Thanks."

"I'll see you later." He waved and left the room behind Daniel.

I was about to follow but I stopped when I felt a hand on my wrist. I turned around to see Liam, inches away from. I got a good look at him, up close. His blond hair, green eyes, his pink lips twisted into a smile.

Stop, I chided myself.

"So I guess we'll be seeing more of each other," he said.

"Sure," I shrugged, appearing nonchalant.

He bent towards me, vanilla smell wafting through my nose. He stopped at my ear, tucking some of my brown hair behind my ear, and whispered, "This isn't going to be smooth, Amber. I wouldn't blame you if you fall in love with me."

A shiver ran down my spine as his warm breath hit my neck. "Wouldn't dream of it." I managed to say. "This isn't High School, Liam."

Liam laughed. "We're going to have a lot of fun in the next few months, Amber. Together."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326 68 9
A collection of Write to Rank entries. Dedicated to everyone who participated!
174 55 11
This is my entry for the Fantamsical contest.
577 77 9
Write to Rank Action challenge.
378 84 10
My collection of entries into the Write to Rank competition from @action Published eBooks are available at most online retailers.