A Midsummer Night's Fling

By TheQueensofRomance

This book contains three charming, magical novellas by bestselling authors, Belinda Boring, Kamery Solomon, a... More

Copyright
Enchanted Hearts, by Belinda Boring
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Forever, by Kamery Solomon
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Epilogue
Faery Kissed
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Follow the Authors

Chapter Fifteen

7.5K 313 14
By TheQueensofRomance

Chapter Fifteen

Aithne

We finished the dance in silence, questions burning my mind. Where was William? Had Hadrian hurt him? How had no one noticed? Yet I couldn't help release a sigh of amazement over how magical it was—the passion built between us as we swayed and moved back and forth to the music. Hadrian was a skilled and attentive dancer, and as he escorted me from the dance floor it was to whistles and applause. With the Midsummer festival in full swing now, the villagers began to form small groups, and the mead began to flow.

Tugging at the cord that bound us together, Hadrian finally removed the mask, and revealed his breathtaking features. His eyes twinkled with mischief, the corner of his mouth raised in a smile, and before I could begin plying him with my questions, he lifted his finger to my lips to still me.

"Not here." He handed the mask and cord to a passerby before he took me by the elbow and steered me away from the revelers. Other bonfires were in the process of being ignited, and there was a line forming of young men. Each one wanted to jump through the hot, towering flames.

We passed by my father who was already in deep conversation with the Mayor, and he lifted his tankard in salute—a knowing look on his face. He turned to his friend, whispered something, and they both laughed out loud before glancing back toward us. I didn't have time to query it as Hadrian continued to lead me away. He almost had me alone when I heard someone call my name.

"Where are you two slinking off to? Don't you know there's celebrating to be done? Look Aithne, they're about to start the Sun's spiral dance. William, you need to go jump across the fire as well," Dierdre chattered as excitement bubbled from her. I gave her a quizzical look, wondering why she couldn't tell I wasn't with William. Turning to Hadrian, he shook his head, signaling for me to not say a word.

"Just go with it," he whispered as we were lead back into the festivities, helpless against my best friend's enthusiasm. I took a flowered garland strand from her, and watching Hadrian join the men, I forgot my curiosity for the moment and joined in with the frolicking. Round and round we weaved in and out using our bodies to form a spiral, gathering others to follow as we went. The air was filled with laughter and music, and when I finally broke away—hot and thirsty—Hadrian was waiting with a tankard of mead.

"Here, drink." He lifted the cup to my mouth, and parting my lips, I swallowed the delicious liquid. It helped cool my body, and in good spirits, I swayed to and fro.

"You should try some as well." I said, taking and offering it likewise. His eyes never left mine as he took a mouthful. His tongue darted out to capture the small droplets that remained on his lips.

"It reminds me of a beverage we have back home. It has the same sweetness and ability to render a person senseless if too much is drunk." Hadrian winked, as he took my hand again. "Come, I'm sure you have many questions, and the night has only just begun."

Nodding, I placed the tankard on a table, and followed him back in the direction he'd originally taken me. I was curious whether our destination was Fae, but with a wave of his hand and a brief shimmer as we stepped into the tree line, I found myself in an enclosed nook within the forest.

It was beautiful and I stared in wonder as I watched the trunk of a strong tree bend until it formed a place to sit and the branches entwined to offer more security. Leaves burst into life to provide soft padding while violets bloomed—scattered all over—so that the ground was awash with purple. Small lights twinkled in the air, causing our secluded nest to faintly glow.

"How . . . ?" I stammered, not knowing what question I wanted to ask first.

"Just a little magic to make sure we're comfortable while we talk privately. I wanted to make this night perfect for you."

I brushed my fingers over the bark of the tree trunk, stroking the leaves of the entwined branches that hung overhead. "This never ceases to amaze me, Hadrian. It's incredible." I let out a gentle sigh as I eased onto the makeshift bower. I was surprised to find it sturdy. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome. Now, which question would you like me to answer first? I know your mind is brimming with inquiry."

I nodded, stepped down from my perch, and approached him. I touched his jaw, peering closely into his eyes. "How did you fool everyone? I see you for who you are, but the others saw only William? And where is he? Why were you in his place? Please tell me you didn't hurt him!"

Hadrian chuckled low, and brushed a stray hair away from my face before his hand lovingly cupped my cheek. "I see you wish for me to respond to all of them at once. So be it." His arms then encircled my waist. "I used a glamour to fool those of your village. William is currently unharmed at his forge until the time is right, and I am here because he asked it."

"He knows of you?" I gasped, surprised.

"We were introduced last night." He smiled, rubbing his jaw faintly before returning his hand to rest at my hip. "We exchanged many words, but one thing was certain. He loves you, and wants nothing but your happiness. It was decided we would swap places for the ceremony, and give you one last magical experience before I returned to my world."

"He was the one who asked?" The idea that William cared enough to suggest this struck me hard. What quality of man puts other's desires before his own? How would I ever be worthy of such affection?

Hadrian nodded and tilted my head back so he could look deeper into my eyes. "There are not many that I respect, especially in this world, but I can understand his reasoning. He wants you for himself—entirely—and will do whatever is needed to remove any obstacle. I would do the same."

"He loves me," I whispered.

"And you love him."

I tried to argue, and say I also loved him but he interrupted.

"I know you feel the same for me. It seems we've all fallen under the same enchantment. Unfortunately, not everyone will get their happy ending."

Tears began to form as the reality of his words rested on me. What seemed like a game of fancy in the beginning had become serious, and I wished for a different outcome.

"But enough of such sentiments. Your William is safe, and we have the night ahead of us. I am here, and your wish is my command. Shall we go and dance?" He extended his hand out to me.

"I'd like that," I whispered, brushing away my tears. "Here's to one more night."

"Here's to your dreams coming true."

The next few hours materialized as though they'd been deliberately lifted from my mother's stories. Hadrian and I danced until we were breathless; laughing and enjoying each other's company. We ate good food and drank more mead than was probably wise. However, the private moments of magic performed for my pleasure were my favorite. Through his attentiveness I wanted for nothing and truly felt like a Fae princess. It would be a night to remember the rest of my life.

As the night waned and couples began slipping away for more private celebrating, we found ourselves sitting before one of the smaller fires. We reclined together with my back against his chest—content and happy. I picked up one of his hands, entwined my fingers in his, and placed a small kiss on the back. He tightened his arms around me, and his mouth brushed against my ear. It was perfect—he was perfect—more than I could ever have expected.

"Have I pleased you, Aithne?" he whispered, and I nodded.

"I was just thinking how none of my daydreams could be compared to tonight. I will cherish these memories forever, Hadrian. Thank you."

"The sun will soon be rising."

Although it was dark, and the stars still twinkled, there was a feeling in the air that he'd spoken the truth. "True, the sky will start to lighten soon, and the festival will be over."

So will our time together, I thought.

"Then before it happens, there's one more thing left for us to do—the finishing touch on a delightful evening."

I twisted around in his arms so I could look into his face. "Is there something we've forgotten?"

He nodded, with a mischievous grin. Catching his meaning, I blushed. A kiss. A kiss from a Fae would make the night complete. We had yet to share one, and it caused a flurry of nervousness through me. What would it feel like to finally receive one?

"I don't think I'll ever see anything as beautiful as your blush. How I wish I could take you with me, Aithne. I love you." Lowering his head, his mouth claimed mine, and for a moment everything went quiet.

His lips were firm and there was no hesitation. He feathered them softly before descending for a deeper, fuller kiss. His confidence caused me to part my lips and melt as his tongue dipped in to savor me. He even tasted like magic—or how I would imagine it—and I found myself being swept away on a wave of pleasure. I adjusted my position, and moved so I could encircle my arms around his neck.

His hands sunk into my hair, gently at first, but as he deepened the kiss, his fingers tightened into fists. There was a hunger now to his approach—as though he was afraid I would disappear. I responded in kind, enjoying my body's equally ravenous response. I didn't care who might see—we were stealing precious minutes.

But underneath it all, something lurked. A thought and feeling I couldn't deny.

He wasn't William. My William. The one I wanted.

Pushing back, breaking the seal of our mouths, I covered my lips with my fingers. The decision I'd thought most difficult had been easy to make. Now that it had been made, I wanted to run and find William—beg him to forgive my foolishness and overlook my childish heart.

"It is as it should be," Hadrian spoke, a sad smile on his face. "As much as I wished I was the one, it is clear he is yours now, tomorrow, and forever." He stroked the side of my cheek then brushed my hair over my shoulder. It was startling—the difference his caress created now.

"I'm so sorry, Hadrian. I didn't want this to happen."

"I know. I'm sorry too." He arose and helped me to my feet. "I guess this is where I say goodbye again. And thank you for an incredible time. You are a remarkable woman, Aithne. I will never regret meeting you."

He opened his arms, and I entered into his embrace. Resting my head against his chest, I held onto the front of his shirt. "I wish we could still remain friends, but that isn't possible is it?"

"We will always be friends, but not like you want. I'm not sure when I'll return to your world. Maybe years from now I'll come back and we can reminisce on what could've been," Hadrian replied, stroking the back of my head. "Is there anything I can give you? A parting gift?"

I stepped away, and touched his arm. "You've given me more than I ever hoped for. Thank you." I looked over his shoulder toward the village, my mind on William.

"Promise me you'll live each moment together to the fullest, that you won't waste a single day," Hadrian asked. "Cherish one another."

I nodded, unable to speak around the lump in my throat. He pulled me closer and gently placed a kiss on my forehead. I shut my eyes, wanting to hold onto this farewell for as long as I could. There was a small gust of wind, a tinkling breeze, and when my eyes reopened, Hadrian was gone.

I didn't need to look around to know I wouldn't find him. He'd come back to give me the perfect night, and help me transition from childhood to womanhood. There was no more indecision or uncertainty. The fantasy could be laid to rest as I fully clasped hold of my future—to William. With the last of the enchantment fading, it was easy to see William had always been my choice, I'd just been too afraid to admit it.

A hand slipped into mine, and I smiled.

"I love you, Aithne. Are you ready to begin our life together, or do I need to wait a little longer?" William asked, and facing him, my heart beat faster as I beheld him. He appeared so earnest, and I didn't fight it any longer. I threw my arms around his neck.

"Yes, I'm ready. I love you too, William. I'm so sorry for everything. Please, please forgive me." I sobbed against his chest, and he returned my embrace.

"Shush, there is nothing to forgive. Haven't I told you this already?" Letting me go, he tilted my chin back. "Here's to our happily-ever-after."

As the sky finally began to lighten, announcing the dawn of a new day, he kissed me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 1.6K 60
What do you do when your secret crush isn't human? Seventeen-year-old Ashlyn Lanski is tired of her boring, single life. Swimming and spending time w...
1.3K 60 8
"YOU ARE MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO GO TO WHEN MY MIND SEARCHES FOR PEACE. " Soumya Oberoi never have been so confused before as she is now after meeting...
326 83 18
After realizing that she was drugged with a love potion by her ex fiance, Arienne left her kingdom in order to find someone who could free her countr...
5.9M 262K 52
"What the hell?" I took a step closer to the mirror, staring at my reflection in disbelief. The person looking back was still me, but at the same ti...