A Midsummer Night's Fling

By TheQueensofRomance

This book contains three charming, magical novellas by bestselling authors, Belinda Boring, Kamery Solomon, a... More

Copyright
Enchanted Hearts, by Belinda Boring
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Forever, by Kamery Solomon
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Epilogue
Faery Kissed
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Follow the Authors

Chapter Six

11.7K 410 7
By TheQueensofRomance

Chapter Six

Aithne

The sound of birds twittering in their nests and the warm rays of the sun stirred me from restless sleep. In my dreams, I danced and frolicked with Hadrian, enjoying tender moments that caused my heart to race and my breath to hitch. All the while, William watched from the shadows—a look of hunger and longing on his face. The images confused me and left me with an unsettled feeling in the base of my stomach.

I'd been disappointed at not seeing Hadrian the day before. I'd searched and spent many hours in hopeful anticipation of him suddenly appearing to whisk me away. But as the day had given way to night and I was still alone, my heart hurt.

Meeting with William had been an unexpected treat. I'd missed the closeness we'd shared growing up, and I smiled over how easy it was to be with him—to talk, smile, and laugh. Once upon a time I'd fancied he and I were secret lovers and that we'd meet under the moon to exchanged kisses. I'd often hoped one day we would marry and raise a family together, but then things changed—he focused his attentions on his apprenticeship—and time got away from us. Even now, when I saw him talking with Fiona and the way she would casually touch him, a spark of jealousy would kindle. It was something that would never be between us, and I'd resigned myself to the thought.

Thinking of what couldn't be, Hadrian's face appeared in my mind. The chance of us having any kind of future together, of having more than whatever it was between us, was impossible. In all my childhood fantasies, I'd assumed there could be a happily-ever-after. But now grown, I knew the realities of it. With no other prospects, I knew it was a risk giving my heart to him, but how could I not? He was everything I'd ever dreamed of and more. The memories would be enough to warm me as the years passed.

Quickly dressing, I entered the kitchen to find my father sitting at the table, slowly eating.

"Morning, daughter, will you break your fast with me?" Donned still in his robe, he hadn't yet tamed his wily hair, giving him an endearing appearance.

I nodded and tore a piece from the loaf of bread I'd purchased the day before, also adding some cheese and pear slices to my plate. "Did you sleep well?" I asked as I sat across from him. I poured myself a small cup of mead, taking a sip before starting on my meal.

"Like a lamb." He smiled, as he helped himself to honey that he smeared over his bread slice. "What kind of mischief do you have planned for today?"

"I thought I'd see where my mood takes me, Papa. Let adventure find me." It was the same answer I'd given him for years, and it caused him to chuckle. He had no doubt if I put my mind to it, I could find trouble. It was just as predictable now, at eighteen, as it was when I was a child.

Snatching up the remainder of my bread, I stood and removed my dishes to the basin. "Maybe I should get started then," I smiled, excitement beginning to brew. A feeling deep within me whispered I'd be seeing Hadrian today. I kissed the top of my father's head and squeezed his shoulder gingerly. "Make sure you keep out of trouble too."

"Oh, my days of tomfoolery are long behind me, I assure you. I'm looking forward to some light reading and perhaps a nap in the afternoon," he answered, patting his robe carefully. "If I could only find my glasses, that is. Blasted things are never where I expect them."

I shook my head, and tapped the top of it. Sheepishly, he reached up and plucked the glasses propped up on his brow, and he waved his hand to tell me to leave. My father may have a great mind for business, but sometimes he could be awfully forgetful.

"Love you," I called out. The weather was perfect, without any clouds in the sky—I couldn't imagine there being rain—so I left my shawl behind.

"Bring home some more of those sweet buns please, Aithne. I'm harboring a sweet tooth for them." I closed the door behind me after agreeing that I would. I took in a deep breath as I stood on the doorstep. I had a full day ahead of me—free from chores and responsibilities. It was bursting with possibilities.

I'd taken maybe a few steps when suddenly my world went dark, and I felt someone's hands cover my eyes. I squealed in surprise, not able to tell who it was.

"Have you missed me, sweet Aithne?" A low, seductive voice whispered in my ear.

My breath hitched as I gasped and turned effortlessly to face Hadrian. His presence struck me. He was just as beautiful as I remembered and wore a smile that sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach. I took in his appearance—from the silky white shirt covered by a deep-green, expertly brocaded waistcoat, to the soft, brown-colored leather pants. His collar ruffled slightly, and gave me a peek at the smooth skin of his chest. I blushed at the sight of the thatch of hair—signaling Hadrian was, no doubt, a man.

"You're here," I answered, somewhat breathless. "I looked for you everywhere yesterday, but you never appeared. I feared I'd imagined our encounter by the river. If it hadn't been for the violet sculpture, I'd have thought it a dream."

Tracing the side of my face, he looked sorrowful. "I am sorry. Business kept me at home, and there was no chance for me to escape. Believe me, there was no place I'd rather be than with you. In fact, to make up for it, I have planned a surprise. Will you come with me?" He extended his hand and I reached out for it. He led me away into the nearby copse of trees surrounding the house. I hesitated for a moment, not knowing what he wanted.

"Hadrian . . . ?" I questioned.

"Do you trust me?"

There were many reasons why I shouldn't—the strongest being he was Fae—but my heart answered for me. "Yes." And I allowed him to pull me amongst the tall trunks. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

A strange sensation passed over me—a kind of glimmering pulse—and I was startled to see the familiarity of my childhood home begin to fade away as a new world revealed itself. One moment I had been one place, and now . . . now I was in some kind of mystical paradise—a Fae garden.

I dropped Hadrian's hand as I took a few exploring steps forward. I couldn't believe my eyes. I turned about in a circle, feasting on all the different colors, my ears absorbing the assorted sounds and the smell of the blossoming flowers mixing into an intoxicating fragrance.

"Are we where you live? In the Otherworld?" I spoke in the faintest of whispers, not wanting to break the wonder of the occasion. Everywhere I looked appeared more vibrant, more beautiful, with a faint shimmer that made everything twinkle.

"No, this isn't where I'm from. I'm forbidden to bring humans there—your very natures are unable to contain the magic used to maintain my world. There have been cases where someone has broken that rule, but it has never worked well—the spirit breaks and becomes altered. I care for you too much to subject you to that, no matter how much I wish to show you." Hadrian spread his arms out wide, a smile on his face. "This is the In Between. A place I created especially for us where you may experience a little of my life without the danger. Does it please you?"

"Oh yes!" I exclaimed, walking to a gathering of bushes and smelling the large flowers in blossom. They were of the most extraordinary red shade, and their fragrance was like a mixture of a rose and concentrated sunshine. It was as if they quivered while I caressed the velvety-soft petals, and I gasped when the closed buds suddenly burst to life. I turned around at the sound of Hadrian's chuckle. "Did you do that?"

Nodding his head, he waved his arm and the flowerbed to his right exploded into a riot of colors—flowers of every variety springing up from the soil. Many I didn't recognize, but I couldn't mistake the bold purple of violets.

"I've developed a particularly soft spot for them." Hadrian murmured, coming to stand beside me. "I've filled the palace where I live with them, and it helps ease the time we are apart. Come, follow. There's more."

Pausing only to look more closely at the different garden adornments and comment, he led me into an intimate grove surrounded by trees whose branches seem to dip and sway to an imaginary breeze. They added to the feeling of privacy that Hadrian and I were truly removed from the world. Unseen birds chirped, their songs enchanting, and as I entered the grove, small yellow blossoms bloomed on the trees.

In the center, Hadrian had arranged a comfortable sitting area with assorted padding covering the ground, material spread out like a blanket. I lowered myself and was surprised at how easily my body relaxed as I tucked my legs beside me. I felt like a princess surrounded by beauty—utterly and completely enchanted.

"What do you call this place?" I asked, captivated by the way he appeared surrounded by things from his home. "I bet it sounds magical."

"It has no name, yet." Hadrian admitted. "I was hoping you would help me with the honor, seeing it was created for you."

"Really?" My mind began to spin. "How could I possibly think of a word befitting this place?"

"Tell me, what was your first thought when you arrived?"

"I thought I'd gone to Heaven."

He broke out into a dazzling smile. "Then that's what it shall be. Forever shall this be called "Neamh." I tried to repeat the word, only to have him chuckle. "Nee-uv. That is how you say it. You've named it well. Anywhere with you is heaven."

"Am I dreaming?" It was like a fairytale to me. "Will I wake up and find you were just a figment of my imagination? Pinch me!" I stuck out my arm, and he shook his head. I did it myself and flinched at the sharp pain. I was awake, and Hadrian—with his garden—was real.

"How about I show you something? Will that ease your doubts?" He stretched his hand forward, and as I accepted his help, he pulled me to my feet. "Watch."

He turned his palm skyward and at first, it remained empty. Then there was a faint shimmer before a flower sprouted out of nothing. It was exquisitely shaped, like a funnel with the opening of the bloom folding to expose a golden pollen bud. It was the most delicate color of cream I'd ever seen. The inside sparkled, and I leaned closer to look. Without thinking, I reached out to pick it up and it instantly withered away into nothing.

"Oh, no! What did I do?" I cried, crushed that I'd destroyed something so beautiful.

Hadrian gently shushed me, reforming the blossom in his palm. Carefully, he slid it into my own, and wrapped his hand under mine. Together, we held the delicate creation, and it remained whole.

"You didn't have the Fae magic to sustain it, but with a little help, see what is possible."

I perceived no difference—no infusion of magic—but there was a flush of gratitude at being able to share this with him. We stood there within arm's reach, and I prayed I would always remember this moment.

"It's incredible." I whispered, not wanting to let go of it.

"Close your eyes."

I did as he asked and gasped in dismay as he tightened my hand into a fist. The beauty of the flower was crushed—ruined. I started to protest, but he placed his finger over my lips.

"Just wait." He murmured some words. "Now look."

Glancing down at my hand, I slowly unfurled it. I expected to see devastation, and therefore wasn't prepared for the fluttering of butterflies as they flew into the air. Swirling about, their tiny wings beating, I giggled with all the wonder of a child. They danced about me—some landing on my hair and outstretched hand. I circled about, completely captivated. With wide eyes I turned to Hadrian.

"How did you do that? Change it from one thing to another? How is that even possible?"

"Here, I can do as I wish. It is one of the privileges of being Fae—one that must always be used with respect."

"Could you do the same in my world?" I was thinking of my ice sculpture.

"No. When I visit there, I must obey the laws nature established. It would take dark magic to do the same as I do here. A penalty would be exacted, one I would never take upon myself."

He waved his arm and the butterflies vanished, leaving us alone in the garden. I released a yawn, suddenly tired from all the excitement.

"I can't believe I'm tired. We only just got here and I can barely keep my eyes open." To my surprise, they became heavy-laden.

"Time affects us differently here. Do you want me to take you home?" Hadrian looked at me concerned.

"Not yet. It's so peaceful and quiet. I want to stay a little longer. Maybe I should sit." I made myself comfortable again on the ground, happy when he sat beside me.

"Why don't you rest your head on my lap? I can tell you stories of my childhood while you relax." Proving he wouldn't be argued with, he guided me to lie down. His fingers began stroking my hair, and I closed my eyes. I told myself it was only for a moment, but it didn't take long for the richness of his voice to swiftly lull me to sleep.

As he later delivered me back home, pausing long enough to bow in farewell, I knew that my heart wasn't in danger of falling.

It had already fallen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

479K 26.3K 18
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...
2.5K 223 18
Off-the wall folk tales from the Carpathian Basin featuring princes, paupers, anthropomorphic animals, devils, and a whole lot of weird. The relative...
1.2M 14.8K 52
NOT EDITED YET Gracie Owen's a headstrong journalist major rooms with her childhood best friend JJ Anderson for junior year, little does she know she...
16.6K 1K 29
highest rank - #87 science fiction!!! "Don't you ever trust them, Emily. They will get into your heart, and then they will kill you" 3056 The earth...