Because I Love You (D.M)

بواسطة wintcrsoldicr

" If you knew, knew what the blue bird sang at you, you would never sing along " Davis Anne Nine is entering... المزيد

Chapter 1: Summer Shenanigans
Chapter 2: Nerds In Sight
Chapter 3: Surprise À La Mode
Chapter 5: Professor's Pet
Chapter 6: The Queen Gets Detention
Chapter 7: Detention With Twist
Chapter 8: Study Session #1
Chapter 9: He's Still An Ass
Chapter 10: Study Session #2 And Revenge
Chapter 11: The Curse of The Opal Necklace
Chapter 12: Suspicions Confirmed
Chapter 13: An Unexpected Study Session #3
Chapter 14: Home For The Holidays
Chatper 15: The Three Musketeers Return
Chapter 16: The Kids Are Alright
Chapter 17: Destination, Determination, Deliberation
Chapter 18: Study Session #4
Chapter 19: Falling Has A Different Meaning
Chapter 20: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Author's Note:
Chapter 21: More Summer Shenanigans
Chapter 22: A Not So Welcome Return Home
Chapter 23: Confessions Are Fun
Chapter 24: The Carrows? More Like (s)Car(ec)rows!
Chapter 25: Owl Have You Know Something, Nine
Chapter 26: This Idea May Not Fly So Well
Chapter 27: The Queen Gets Detention Again
Chapter 28: Juliet Without Her Romeo
Chapter 29: The Army Remains Strong
Chapter 30: When Push Comes To Shove
19 Years Later
Author's Commentary:

Chapter 4: Class With An Ass

413 16 1
بواسطة wintcrsoldicr

The morning arrived faster than I thought it would with Hannah opening the curtains letting in an extreme amount of sunlight.

"Morning, Davis, did you sleep on it?" She asked as she was pulling out her robes.

"I slept well, thanks and I did," I lied.

"What's the verdict?" She prompted way too cheerfully for this early in the morning.

I grumbled and dove deeper under the quilt hoping she'd leave me to sleep. Instead, the quilt was rudely removed from on top of me and Hannah sat down next to me.

"You didn't, did you," she said quietly.

"Hannah, he likes me and I don't know how I feel. I have zero idea what to say to him now," I said rubbing the sleep from my eyes and reaching blindly for my glasses.

"Just be yourself," she reassured me.

"We all know how well that works. I have no skills in this area because I never expected anyone to ever have feelings for me past friendship. For example, do you not remember the Yule Ball?" I mumbled sitting up and looking at her after adjusting my glasses properly.

"Yeah, Wayne Hopkins," she said covering her mouth as she laughed.

"I spilled punch all over his shoes and it was a terribly sticky situation afterwards," I said.

Hannah continued to laugh as I left her there to go change into my robes. When I had finished, she had collected herself and was waiting for me to go up to breakfast with her.

"Think Johnny is already eating? Should I wait for him in case he's not up yet?" I asked as we joined Ernie and Zach on the way to the Great Hall.

"He's right there with that red headed girl," Ernie announced as we took our seats. "Anyone see the bacon?"

I waved good morning to Johnny who grinned back and kept talking excitedly with Gwendolyn. He seemed very happy and she was blushing profusely.

"Here, try this," I said handing Ernie some suspicious looking sausage that most definitely wasn't bacon.

He took a bite not even paying attention and instantly spit it out before glowering at me.

"That was not even close to bacon," he spat and then drained his pumpkin juice desperate to get the taste out of his mouth.

"Not my fault you didn't look at it," I said with a smirk.

Ernie rolled his eyes and looked away.

Professor McGonagall came by shortly afterward with everyone's schedule and we all started to compare.

"Potions first, Charms second, Astronomy third, Transfiguration fourth, lunch, Defense Against The Dark Arts fifth, Herbology sixth, and History of Magic seventh," I said leaning over to look at Hannah's. "Zach when are we going to practice for Quidditch?"

"I guess we won't be sleeping this year,  and Davis? I'm in all of your classes," he said grinning widely.

"You're what?" I exclaimed pulling his schedule from him and running down the listed classes on his.

"Well, what do you know? Looks like I won't have to scramble for someone to sit by," I said as I handed back Zach's schedule.

"Not so fast, I overheard Susan this morning telling her friend that the teachers are planning on giving us assigned seats this year. What's worse is that we won't be sitting with just kids from our houses, I may have to sit by a Slytherin," Hannah said worriedly.

I knew that many of the students in Slytherin were probably decent people, but it was widely accepted between all Hufflepuffs that they were supporters of Voldemort. Especially since last year's escapade at the Ministry of Magic that involved the death of Harry Potter's godfather, Sirius Black. Rumor had it that Bellatrix Lastrange had been the one to kill him and the then Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, had finally admitted to Voldemort's return. Everyone knew Bellatrix was a loyal follower of him and had been a Slytherin herself. Most of us Hufflepuffs avoided the serpent-wearing students at all costs.

"Maybe this is the first year I skip all my classes and fail," I said haughtily.

"The words 'skip' and 'fail' don't fit well together in the same sentence coming from you," Ernie said poking his head around his class schedule and looking at Zach's.

"What classes do you have anyway?" I asked him.

"Same as you, but not in the same order," he said a little dejectedly.

"Hannah?" I asked hopefully.

I was praying she wouldn't leave me totally alone with Zach for the entire year.

"Looks like I'm in Herbolgy with you and Zach but that's it," she said frowning. "Ernie, let me see yours."

He pushed it over to her and located some actual bacon.

"We have Transfiguration and Potions together!" She exclaimed happily.

"Good, at least I'll know someone even if I can't sit near you," Ernie said retrieving his schedule and stuffing more bacon into his mouth.

"Slow down, mate," Zach said while eating some toast.

"What? I'm hungry," Ernie said sending bits of bacon into Zach's face.

"You're gross."

The sound of students rising from their tables and shuffling towards classes prevented Ernest replying rudely to Zach. He headed off to Transfiguration with Hannah leaving me to follow Zach down to Potions.

"I can't believe we have all the same classes this year," Zach commented as we approached Slughorn's classroom.

"I know, how ever will I survive?" I asked comically.

He playfully punched my shoulder as we entered and stood against the wall. As more people showed up, Professor Slughorn started showing everyone to their assigned seats. My stomach sank when Zach was placed at the front corner of the classroom next to Cho Chang from Ravenclaw and two other Gryffindors. He smiled sadly over her shoulder and sighed.

"Miss Nine? So nice to see you again. Miss Nine, you will be sitting back here next to Mr. Malfoy," Slughorn said before moving on the the rest of the students.

The back corner diagonal from Zach was my spot. I sat down and silently prayed Malfoy wouldn't sit with me. Yet there he was with his bleach blonde hair and darker than night suit. I would normally be super excited to be in the back of the room but now I had to sit next to the guy who pushed me over at the train station, I was less than thrilled. There's always the possibility he won't remember who I am and completely ignore me all year.

Professor Slughorn introduced himself and the course and what we'd be doing this year. Right away, he had us doing book work with our table partners and it just so happened that Malfoy and I were the only table with two people because of the small class size.

I pulled out my textbook but dropped my quill in the process. Someone chuckled and I blushed angrily. That someone was Malfoy.

"You can't even hold a quill. No wonder you dropped your trunk at the platform," he sneered.

Looks like he had a better memory than I wanted him to have.

"Just do the questions," I said not even bothering to see if he had his book out.

"Attitude, how uncharacteristic of someone from Hufflepuff. You're probably a blood traitor anyway," Malfoy drawled unenthusiastically.

"My blood status matters to you because?" I snapped glaring up at his steely gray eyes.

He raised an eyebrow at me and smirked.

"Miss Nine, why aren't you and Mr. Malfoy working on the questions?" Professor Slughorn asked passing by our table and gazing down disapprovingly at my paper.

"Apologies, Professor, I was distracted," I answered him curtly.

"Tsk, tsk. Best stay on task, carry on," he said and went off to corral a few rowdy Gryffindors.

"Am I distracting you?" Malfoy asked smugly.

"No, not at all," I said bluntly and started scribbling down answers.

"Slow down, I can't read what you're writing," he complained, but hadn't even bothered to pull out a quill or parchment.

"That would be your problem, not mine," I responded boldly.

He left me alone after that and stared down at the desk until the end of the period arrived. I completed the questions with ease and handed mine in.

Zach caught up with me as I stormed from the class and headed up to Charms. I silently prayed Malfoy wasn't in any of my other classes.

"Slow down Davis! Wait up," he puffed following me into the Charms room.

"You'll never guess what happened back there," I said through clenched teeth.

"You had to sit by the revered Draco Malfoy. What did he do? Do I need to straighten out some things?" Zach asked clenching his hands into fists.

"He was just really rude. He remembered knocking my over at the train platform and called me a blood traitor," I told Zach as Professor Flitwick entered and directed everyone to their seats.

He put Zach and I together in the middle of the classroom.

"I ought to split his skull for saying that to you," Zach whispered as Flitwick handed everyone a course syllabus. "He had no right to."

"Trust me, it's nothing my sarcasm can't handle," I whispered back.

"Well, do let me know if he gives you anymore grief," Zach said patting my hand.

I nodded and thanked him. Maybe it wasn't going to be so awkward with Zach like I had thought.

As Professor Flitwick was telling us about the spells we would be performing this year, I noticed Malfoy sitting in the row next to me one desk up.

"Hey, Zach," I said quietly.

"What?"

"Malfoy is in this class, too. I'm going to vomit," I hissed.

"Gross. Then he'll have to go through me if he wants to get at you," Zach said smugly.

I grinned at him as Flitwick lectured on about the classroom's expectations.

Charms, Astronomy, and Transfiguration passed without further incident. Malfoy wasn't in Astronomy or Transfiguration which was a plus for me. Lunch arrived and we met up with Hannah and Ernie.

"How have your classes been?" Hannah asked me as I took a bite of a turkey sandwich. I swallowed and set it down as I mentally prepared myself to explain the horrors of today.

"I have to sit next to Malfoy in Potions. We are the only two at the table so it's just horrible! He degraded me about my blood status and the trunk incident," I complained. "Enough about my day, how was yours?"

"How did he know you were Muggle born?" She asked furrowing her brow.

"Well, technically speaking, he doesn't know my actual blood status, but he just made that assumption because I reacted to the stuff he said. He's just as rude as we thought, too," I said.

"I'm sorry you have to deal with him," Hannah said sympathetically. "Well, my classes are pretty fun this year. In Transfiguration, I sit by Ernie and in Potions, it's Ernie, Neville, and Luna. Muggle Studies is all right, but not too fun and Charms is a breeze."

"At least we have Herbology together!" I said happily.

"With Zach, this could very well be the most entertaining class of the year," Hannah said.

"What about you, Ernie?" I said poking his arm across table.

"Defense Against The Darks Arts blows. Snape gave us an essay first day and this Ravenclaw already has detention," he said dully.

"That's where I head after lunch," I sighed deeply.

"I have Herbology," he said.

"Good luck."

"I should be wishing you and Zach good luck," he laughed as we finished lunch.

As Ernie and Hannah went their separate ways, Zach grabbed my hand and hauled me off to Snape's classroom.

"You're going to tear off my arm!" I said trying to free myself from his grip.

"We're almost there so relax, Davis," he said rounding the corner and finding the door.

My seat in Defense Against the Dark Arts was equally as bad as Potions: back of the room next to Malfoy. Zach shot him a death glare as he took his seat across the aisle from us. I mouthed, 'Save Me' behind Malfoy's back at Zach and he mouthed back, 'He better watch himself.'

Thankfully, Malfoy left me alone all class and didn't even seem to notice I was next to him. I could do with that all year. Just as Ernie had said, we were assigned an essay due by Friday as a review over what we learned last year. No one got detention in this class, though.

It was a breath of fresh air leaving Snape's classroom and chasing Zach down to the greenhouses. I was excited to see Hannah, too. He beat me to the greenhouse and found her right away. The three of us gathered together around an empty basin and swapped stories about fifth period. The great thing about Herbology was the fact there were no desks to sit at so I was guaranteed being able to be with my friends all year long.

Professor Sprout entered at the end of the house and made her way through the students to the front of us. Standing on an overturned planting pot, she explained the types of plants we'd be caring for over the school year. I noted Malfoy was at the back of the house by himself glaring at the floor. At least I'd be away from him.

After Herbology, we left Hannah for History Of Magic with Professor Binns. Thank goodness Malfoy wasn't in this class. It was boring as usual and I saw Zach sleeping from across the room. He was seated by the window passed out while I chuckled from next to Pansy Parkinson. She totally ignored me which was blissful. The class ended and I had to drag Zach to the Great Hall for dinner. He was yawning loudly when I spotted Hannah attempting to get Ernie to stop inhaling his beef and potatoes.

We had just sat down as she was trying to take the dish of potatoes away from him, but he had a tight grip on it.

"Ernest Macmillan, give them here!" She said pulling to no avail.

"No, they're all mine," he said defensively.

"Save some for me, too!" Zach said as he made an unsuccessful grab for the dish.

There were only a few more tug-of-war fights, but it happened over dessert which was a chocolate mousse cake that Zach won.

"Davis? Quidditch tryouts are tomorrow after dinner," he said grinning.

"I'll be there for sure," I told him.

After dinner, Hannah and I lazed around in the Common Room working on the Potions essay as I told her about Malfoy being in so many of my classes. She wrinkled her nose at that.

"You should ask the professors to change your seats. I'd die if I had to sit by him," she said scanning over the opening paragraph. "I think I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Davis."

"Night," I said as she packed up and went off to bed.

Johnny came over out of nowhere and sat himself down in the stuffed chair next to me.

"How was your first day?" I asked ruffling his hair.

"I love it here! The teachers are super nice and Gwendolyn is really nice," he said excitedly.

"You have a girlfriend already?"

"What? No! Davis, she's not my girlfriend , all right?" He said turning a deep shade of red.

"Whatever you say."

"What about your classes?" He asked changing the subject.

"I have an essay already from my Defense Against The Dark Arts professor already," I said showing Johnny my half-hearted attempt at an opening paragraph. "Other than that, my classes should be fun this year."

"Oh. No boyfriend then?" He asked.

"You learn fast, kiddo, but no," I chuckled.

"I saw Zach holding your hand today after lunch," he pointed out.

"You saw that?" I asked blushing.

"Maybe," he replied with a laugh and hopped up. "Goodnight, Davis."

Truth be told, I didn't know what to think about Zach and it was clear as day that Johnny and Hannah both thought we would make a cute couple. I had classes to focus on so I pushed the thought to the side.

Around 10:30pm when everyone had drifted away to bed and I was the last one left in the Common Room, Zach showed up slightly sleepy-eyed. He sat in the chair Johnny had been in earlier and watched me scratch out my essay.

"Listen, Davis," he began slowly. "About the thing I said on the train, I, well," He trailed off looking flustered.

I looked up from my parchment and smiled at him tiredly.

"Hannah told me the whole thing," I said guiltily.

He flushed about fifty shades of red, but couldn't hide the smile growing on his face.

"Looks like I'm never talking to her or Ernest again," he chuckled.

"Or me," I said putting aside my homework and leaning forward to look at him.

"Zach, I don't really know how to say this, but," I lost my train of thought and dropped my gaze to the floor which had never been more intriguing.

"You're scaring me, Davis, what's wrong? I feel like I should be the one who's embarrassed," he said trying to lessen the tension settling between us.

"I'm flattered you like me, but the thing is I don't feel the same way." I was barely able to choke out the last part.

Zach blinked and rubbed his neck as though it pained him. He sighed and fixed his gaze somewhere away from me. In that very moment, I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole. I did the one thing I never wanted to do: I hurt Zach.

"Yeah, well, goodnight, Davis," he said abruptly and made quickly for his dormitory.

I curled up in the chair and let the feeling of being a terrible person drown me for a few long hours. At roughly 2am, I made my way to bed and pulled the curtains around my bed so Hannah and Susan wouldn't hear me crying.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1M 35.8K 51
Catalina, a 7th year student at Hogwarts had no idea how her life will take a twist as soon as she meets the family of her closest friend, Draco. Wi...
1.1K 119 33
Reality can be different for everyone. One could believe their reality includes angels, eager to help if they are in trouble. One could insinuate tha...
3.7K 79 18
My downfall wasn't quick, it was a slow descent, damning myself ever since those words fell out of my mouth. "Yes, My Lord" ________________________...
598 29 10
Y/N is so excited to return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for her second year, but when the time finally comes, tragedy hits the scho...